Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 29, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #28,801 of 62,402
For all the time wasted trying to find the perfect wireless bud why not just use wired? Unless, of course, the chase is the real thrill...

For me, it's mobility.

I use mine for work / Zoom working from home (plus music / movies when / if I ever wind up traveling again) - I can't wander around the house in my undies with wired earbuds.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #28,802 of 62,402
So for those in the know.

My quest for the Lord of the Buds. One bud to rule them all is not going well.

Contenders that didn't hit the mark:

XM3- insecure fit,bulky, terrible for exercise.

AZ70- Insufficient low end, bulbous insecure ear fit. Bad charging case with drain issue.

75t active- harsh highs, make soundstage bass bloated.

1moreAnc- Weak volume and battery with overly dark sound no EQ.

Galaxy buds pro- Would be a keeper of I could get a fit that was not painful but 6 different tips later and it's not worth it. Top 3 in sound though not as loud as others.

On the fence:

85t- does everything will but sound while good is not class leading. Fit less secure than usual for exercise.

JBL club pro+- great sound EQ'd.( Equal or better than Sony). Had issue with the Qi charging case so returned. ANC in brief test was nearly non existent.

Still to try but mixed reviews out other issues:

AKG N400- great sound but hear the case has issues and battery life total not great. ANC average and apparently bad latency for video.

MTW2- price above ideal but would consider. No Qi charging at that price. Heard they don't get that loud. ? Comfort?

Devialet- most expensive. Buggy software. No volume control on buds.

Cambridge MT- buggy, no ANC.

So for the contenders, should I gamble on the MTW2 or Gemini?

I have until Feb 11 to return the Jabras but so far if I could just get a bit more treble detail from them they would be the champs.

How disappointing. Some of the users in here made it seem like the melomania touch's issues have been fixed with the update.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #28,803 of 62,402
Ouch. I literally have the Melomania Touch white ear buds and black case in my cart and came here to check and make sure current owners are still finding them to be better since the update. Are any other owners still happy with them and finding them to be mostly reliable? If so, I may still take the plunge.
I have a pair and have not had the same issues re connectivity or charging. Do really like the sound. Will keep them. But ... I got in early on the Status Audio Between Pro triple driver BT phones @$79 on Indiegogo. They are fantastic though I did some tip rolling. So far, no hiccups reconnections/dropouts or charging.

But as for the MT, sound great and as someone noted, make sure they are snug in the case.

Of course, I’m an addict. Just ordered the Jabra 75t Activ refurbs for $80 on ebay. And still love the Melomania 1 sound sig too. Four BT phones! And that’s just the in-ears! have a pair of Tranya B530s too. Need to give them away!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #28,804 of 62,402
Sony wf800 on sale now 148$ Canadian or about 115$usd.
Any opinion on their sound? They are ip55 ANC and have earwing to keep in place.
Wow where are you seeing them at that price?

NVM I should have googled first. There they are on Bestbuy...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #28,807 of 62,402
Amazon.
Do they sound as good as XM3 after EQ in app?
Lol I wish I knew! I have not heard either unfortunately. But from why I have read the SP800 is more bass heavy than the 1000XM3 and consequently not as detailed or bright sounding. So if you love bass you might prefer the SP800N but if you loved the 1000XM3 signature you might not.

They have fins to help secure them in your ear so fit better but may not be as comfortable. I am semi tempted but don't think I can afford them even at that good price. Plus I am still enjoying the AZ70 which is pretty much the polar opposite.

I suspect this may mean Sony is getting close to releasing a new TWS probably the 1000XM4 and store are staring to want to clear inventory.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #28,808 of 62,402
Lol I wish I knew! I have not heard either unfortunately. But from why I have read the SP800 is more bass heavy than the 1000XM3 and consequently not as detailed or bright sounding. So if you love bass you might prefer the SP800N but if you loved the 1000XM3 signature you might not.

They have fins to help secure them in your ear so fit better but may not be as comfortable. I am semi tempted but don't think I can afford them even at that good price. Plus I am still enjoying the AZ70 which is pretty much the polar opposite.

I suspect this may mean Sony is getting close to releasing a new TWS probably the 1000XM4 and store are staring to want to clear inventory.
I agree regarding bass heavy but if drivers are same as XM3 then maybe EQ can get them to sound same as body is quite similar.
My issue with XM3 was fit and security and IP rating.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #28,809 of 62,402
Well, it looks like my time with the Melomania Touch has come to an end. Just sent in my RMA to return the earbuds. Even after the firmware update these were the problems I kept having:

Headphones will not pair together: Cannot factory reset left bud after right bud was factory reset, and now they will not pair together.
Issues with inconsistent bluetooth connection
Issues with volume sometimes being quiet and having put the buds back in the case, and having taking them back out of the case.
Issues with adjusting the volume, the volume starts oscillating between the two earbuds. Have to put them back in the case and take them back out.

It sucks, I really love the sound of the earbuds, but these issues kept coming back up. Partnered with the hardware issues with the case with the earbuds not sitting in them correctly, I'd rather go for another pair of earbuds that I can depend on with connecting correctly every time.

Same reason I returned mine. Too much trouble. They should have waited to get it right before the release.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #28,810 of 62,402
Can't believe there's no news at all regarding the WF-1000XM4. But Sony have recently dropped a lot of products, TV, Speakers, Pro mobile phone, the new A1 camera all out the blue almost, so there
's some hope the earphones/headphones are soon.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #28,812 of 62,402
You would think there would be a leak or rumor of xm4 but nothing.
It's been a really slow period for TWS. Nothing really new being brought to the table. Kinda boring. I mentioned a month ago that TWS may have peaked and I stand by my assertion. Until we get a new breakthrough in BT, I think we are pretty close to the limit. Not to say this is a bad thing - there are some excellent choices out there but the innovation seems to have stalled. Maybe Audeze has something in the works?

Jan 30, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #28,813 of 62,402
What eq setting are you using? I am using "normal" and I don't find it lacking in delivering bass guitar.

One of my test song for any audio related.

I'm also using normal. I can hear the bass when there's not much around it, but if I listen to metal or busy tracks, drums and other instruments will drown it too much for my taste.

For example I was just listening to this and the notes are clear on some other sets, not so much on Buds Pro during busy sections.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #28,814 of 62,402
I'm also using normal. I can hear the bass when there's not much around it, but if I listen to metal or busy tracks, drums and other instruments will drown it too much for my taste.

For example I was just listening to this and the notes are clear on some other sets, not so much on Buds Pro during busy sections.

Try using dynamic eq. It sure increase the mid bass and bring out the bass guitar more.
Also, western metal and rock band almost always have the bass guitar low in the mix. Compare to the Japanese metal or rock band which mix it a little bit even.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #28,815 of 62,402
So I ended up getting the Galaxy Buds Pro myself. My first impressions are fairly positive:

The big elephant in the room is fit: They fit me great, they're more comfortable than the Galaxy Buds Plus for me. But I am aware that I have large ears/conchas (I always use large tips, and large wings on earbuds), and I can absolutely see someone with smaller ears having issues with the earbuds hitting the extended part of the concha. The GBP do not hit that for me, and I have some clearance from the earbuds.

The tips themselves are not the worst I've ever used, but they are definitely not the best. I get a decent seal, but they could be improved on, and I think it affects the ANC not being all that great. While I was aware what I was getting into, it's stupid the nozzles are proprietary.

The case is..okay. The hinge is loose, and I miss the sturdiness and snappiness of the Buds Plus case. I prefer the case on Buds plus too. There's a bigger lip on the case that makes the case easy to open. The Buds Pro do not have that, and the ergonomic of it are pretty bad. It is fairly small though, which I like.

Turning off the ANC sucks some out of the bass. I wonder if the ANC is covering that the seal isn't perfect.

Sound quality is great. Comparing to the MT, it's definitely different. I'm not sure if I can prefer one or the other, but the Buds Pro lean more toward the consumer side, but they're still really great. The grittiness/sharpness on the highs from the Buds Plus are gone, and the clarity is better than the Sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back