Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 8, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #28,233 of 62,618
Hello everyone ! I’m new on the forum and I’m looking for a great pair of true wireless headphones.
Not wishing to deceive me in my choice, I come to take advice here.

To summarize briefly, a few months ago, I bought the Airpods pro for their versatility and the good I heard of them.
However, I got rid of them because I found them uncomfortable and their sound was not up to my expectations.
After some research I hesitate between these models :

1. Bose QuietComfort Earbuds
  2. Shure Aonic 215 True Wireless
  3. Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch
  4. Ultimate Ears UE Fits
  5. 1 More True Wireless ANC

Concerning what I’m listening to, I’m mostly rock and roll oriented and I’m sometimes roaming (excluding covid, of course), so I need good insulation. I mainly listen to my music via my iPhone X or my Mac in mp3 file, in 320 kbps.
If you have any other suggestions, I would welcome them as well.

Thank you for your answers ! (Sorry for my English, but this is definitely not my mother tongue :sweat_smile:).

Were you able to get a proper seal with the AirPods Pro? If not that would affect sound quality. Not a message to try them again, just a message about them in general. The UE Fits has a signature similar to the APP, but with better bass presence and smoother treble. Isolation is poor despite the good enough fit since the earbuds sit fairly shallow in the ear. I'm not sure if the 215 Shure currently offers is like their original 215 model, but if it is, expect a V-shaped sound signature out of them. Also note that it looks like their entire line of headphones is compatible with their True Wireless setup. Other MMCX connected headphones may work with it too.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #28,234 of 62,618
Soooo I received the Melomanias today and while I can't really talk about soundquality and the like yet, some impressions from the reviews so far are pretty spot on. Some of the not so good ones i mean. First: Bass - to me it's just too much without EQing (which i try to avoid). Second: Made some calls from home and on the go (i live in Berlin so there is quite some street noise) and they mics are indeed way way way too silent. You sound like you're speaking 3-4 meters away from the phone at best. Next to sound quality mic quality is the most important feature for me. And this is a no-go. I really hope this can be fixed software wise so I'll write a mail to ask customer support. Has anyone else checked mic quality yet?

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #28,235 of 62,618
I see multiple initial impressions for Galaxys buds pro pop up in my youtube feed. Quality of those reviews are not great but the product is interesting. Is it the 1st TWS earbud with ANC and ipx7 rating? Plus sound quality is better than buds plus which is positive. I might upgrade my phone from Galaxy S10 to S21 and so hope to get it for free.

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #28,236 of 62,618
Were you able to get a proper seal with the AirPods Pro? If not that would affect sound quality. Not a message to try them again, just a message about them in general. The UE Fits has a signature similar to the APP, but with better bass presence and smoother treble. Isolation is poor despite the good enough fit since the earbuds sit fairly shallow in the ear. I'm not sure if the 215 Shure currently offers is like their original 215 model, but if it is, expect a V-shaped sound signature out of them. Also note that it looks like their entire line of headphones is compatible with their True Wireless setup. Other MMCX connected headphones may work with it too.
I have tried all of the ear tips that came with it, but none were able to make them comfortable for my ears. I think my ears are just not suitable for these headphones. :slight_frown:
I had the opportunity to try the shure SE215-CL a few years ago and I found them really great musically, as in terms of comfort.

Jan 8, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #28,238 of 62,618
I like to listen to music as I go to sleep and my wife is usually watching TV - hence the need for isolation also.
I bought Beats Flex for $30 on amazon last week. Noise isolation is excellent, and I can listen at pretty much any volume I wish without bothering my mrs in bed next to me so there's very little leakage. They're not the most refined sound wise, but for $30 (normally $50 iirc) I find them really good. wire behind the neck doesn't bother me at all. and they stay in fine regardless of where is head is on the pillow.

Jan 8, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #28,240 of 62,618
I see multiple initial impressions for Galaxys buds pro pop up in my youtube feed. Quality of those reviews are not great but the product is interesting. Is it the 1st TWS earbud with ANC and ipx7 rating? Plus sound quality is better than buds plus which is positive. I might upgrade my phone from Galaxy S10 to S21 and so hope to get it for free.

The S21 and Buds pro should be announced in a few more days. The 14th I think.

Jan 8, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #28,241 of 62,618
I think I'm going to keep the Melomania Touch. The sound is just too good. If they were more expensive, or if CA were a lesser known brand, I'd probably return them. I have enough work arounds to get them paired to my phone with consistency, but if they can fix all the software issues, these would be absolutely brilliant. I'll just do a small pro/cons list that I've found:

Pros:

- Probably the best sounding TWS I own (Galaxy Buds+, Mavin Air+, Oneplus Buds (I got them for free), Sony WF-1000MX3), and second is pretty far. It handles pretty much everything I throw at it, and the EQ actually works pretty well (but I do not use it).

-The fit works really well for me. They're also probably the best fitting TWS I own, I think CA nailed it there. I can wear them for a long time without any discomfort. I usually use foam tips, but I'm using the provided silicon tips, and they seal well for me.

-Magnets inside the case are solid , much better than the Galaxy Buds+ case magnets which if you look at them wrong, they'll fly out of the case.

-The app is actually pretty slick looking.

Neutral:

-Touch controls are uber sensitive, but they do work fairly well. I've adapted to the taking out and adjusting them using the edges of the earbuds, as there deep enough depth to the earbuds that my fat fingers don't active the controls by accident.

Cons:

Software software software:

-Bugs a plenty. Pairing/re-pairing can be a bit hit and miss. There's still plenty of times I have to manually connect the earbuds to my phone because it doesn't automatically pair out of the case. Or I have to turn on both or one of the buds when I take them out of the case (touch controls for 3 seconds), when they should automatically turn on when I take them out of the case.

-Sometimes the connection becomes unstable for a couple of seconds. I will say I haven't really walked around with them due to the pandemic.

-Someone mentioned that they heard some delays between actions between the two earbuds, and I can absolutely verify that does happen at times, no more than a second, but it does happen.

-One of the two ear buds sometimes don't turn back on when taking the buds out of the case, have to touch for 3 seconds to turn back on, and then it will usually autopair back. Not sure why it doesn't turn back on sometimes.

Hardware:

-The biggest complaint is the case feels bad. It creaks, it doesn't fit together quite right, the hinge is really really bad, and it feels cheap.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #28,242 of 62,618
Anyone knows which store in Europe stocks the Melomania Touch's right now? Amazon Germany is out of stock.

Someone mentioned couple pages earlier that CA temporarily removed the Touch from Amazon Europe due to the complaints. I don't know tbh because I still see them listed on Amazon USA counterpart.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #28,243 of 62,618
Since the pandemic started last March I have avoided public transport as much as possible and started enjoying walks more while listening to music and in the last couple of weeks I have been wanting to get better earbuds. However it is quite shocking that despite the wonders of technology, there are not many earbuds available with multipoint, I could be wrong but the only ones I am seeing are the Jabra range, so now I am looking at going back in time design wise at over ear design headphones but with multipoint.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #28,244 of 62,618
I think I'm going to keep the Melomania Touch. The sound is just too good. If they were more expensive, or if CA were a lesser known brand, I'd probably return them. I have enough work arounds to get them paired to my phone with consistency, but if they can fix all the software issues, these would be absolutely brilliant. I'll just do a small pro/cons list that I've found:

Pros:

- Probably the best sounding TWS I own (Galaxy Buds+, Mavin Air+, Oneplus Buds (I got them for free), Sony WF-1000MX3), and second is pretty far. It handles pretty much everything I throw at it, and the EQ actually works pretty well (but I do not use it).

-The fit works really well for me. They're also probably the best fitting TWS I own, I think CA nailed it there. I can wear them for a long time without any discomfort. I usually use foam tips, but I'm using the provided silicon tips, and they seal well for me.

-Magnets inside the case are solid , much better than the Galaxy Buds+ case magnets which if you look at them wrong, they'll fly out of the case.

-The app is actually pretty slick looking.

Neutral:

-Touch controls are uber sensitive, but they do work fairly well. I've adapted to the taking out and adjusting them using the edges of the earbuds, as there deep enough depth to the earbuds that my fat fingers don't active the controls by accident.

Cons:

Software software software:

-Bugs a plenty. Pairing/re-pairing can be a bit hit and miss. There's still plenty of times I have to manually connect the earbuds to my phone because it doesn't automatically pair out of the case. Or I have to turn on both or one of the buds when I take them out of the case (touch controls for 3 seconds), when they should automatically turn on when I take them out of the case.

-Sometimes the connection becomes unstable for a couple of seconds. I will say I haven't really walked around with them due to the pandemic.

-Someone mentioned that they heard some delays between actions between the two earbuds, and I can absolutely verify that does happen at times, no more than a second, but it does happen.

-One of the two ear buds sometimes don't turn back on when taking the buds out of the case, have to touch for 3 seconds to turn back on, and then it will usually autopair back. Not sure why it doesn't turn back on sometimes.

Hardware:

-The biggest complaint is the case feels bad. It creaks, it doesn't fit together quite right, the hinge is really really bad, and it feels cheap.

I personally turned off the touch controls to avoid that issue. I mean I did the same on the Sony & Sennheiser as well. I guess I just don't feel comfortable with touch controls. A lot of people do use them and swear by them though so they might have issues with oversensitive touch controls.

I personally had no issue with initial pairing. The problem is with subsequent connections, which is probably what you are referring to. They turn off for me while in case so I had to turn them on by holding down both earbuds until they start blinking red/blue. It doesn't connect instantly as soon as you pull them out of the case. That needs to be fixed in firmware update ASAP.

With transparency mode, I noticed there is almost a fluctuation in transparency connection. It's tough to explain. It's occasionally though rather than every time.

I think the connection issue when taking them out of the case is the #1 issue I have with them. It's a pressing issue, and I'm curious if it's a software issue that can be fixed through firmware or something hardware related & needs to be replaced.

Jan 9, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #28,245 of 62,618
Touch is getting frustrating. Took them out of the case and only left side connected. I put them back in the case, took them out but again only left side connected. I unpaired them in Bluetooth settings. I held down both earbuds for 10secs to reset them while in the case and got them paired. Unfortunately, right side wouldn't connect. I reset them again but still right side won't connect. I put them back in the case, closed it and took them out again. This time, same issue - melomania app shows only the left earbud. I became so frustrated that I just went to the Sony xm3, which connected instantly and currently using the Sony.

I am thinking of giving up on the Touch.. Now I realize why several of you returned them. This is aggravating, but I will try couple more days to give it my all before giving up. All I want to do is listen to my music - it's not worth the frustration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back