Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 7, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #28,201 of 62,417
Thanks for the great ideas. I have The XM3‘s and i‘m apparently the only person on the planet who hates the sound. they sit in a drawer...

yeah I should try the Airpods. I think they look stupid with those sticks and don’t look very comfortable but To be fair I haven’t given them a listen

ANC is a must for me. Little baby at home and I fly a lot

How about the JBL. Everyone seems to love the Club Pro+. No sticks either and a couple on here have them so they can chime in or PM them.

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #28,206 of 62,417
@jant71 @Luke Skywalker - I second the JBL ANC CLUB PRO+ - I really like mine after EQing to my taste. The only issue is that I've misplaced them :sob: I'm considering buying them again, or whatever JBL makes next....
Man that sucks dude. maybe they’re in the same place my Bose are.

It looks like the JBL’s don‘t have Aptx but I don’t really care about that. Do they have AAC? I can’t seem to find any info on their codecs

btw, have you guys heard of the “Devialet Gemini”? They sound intriguing.

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #28,207 of 62,417
Thanks for the great ideas. I have The XM3‘s and i‘m apparently the only person on the planet who hates the sound. they sit in a drawer...

yeah I should try the Airpods. I think they look stupid with those sticks and don’t look very comfortable but To be fair I haven’t given them a listen

ANC is a must for me. Little baby at home and I fly a lot

You’ll be glad to know they are comfortable. I have FLC 8Ns, etymotic HF3s and FiiO FH1s and the air pods pros are the most comfortable. It’s a somewhat shallow in ear fit and they are super light and decently secure. I’ve slept with them in an airplane before, although the battery life wasn’t enough for the whole 13 hour flight.

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #28,208 of 62,417
Anyone else have 85t and using round aftermarket tips?
Did an experiment today as my spin fit 360 arrived.
Tried them in the XM3 and was pleased with comfort and sound. However they stick out a bit farther from the ears and feel like they wobble if I were to simulate running or exercising.

For fun decided to try to fit the tips on the Jabra 85t. Wow. They managed to go on were comfortable and had a nice fit and seal no movement was going to shake them loose. The sound changed however so I EQ'd them with Jose tips in and they sound fantastic.
Seems the bass was attenuated a bit so actually went to increase it whereas before it was adjusted below flat.
I also had to lower the mids a bit whereas before they were neutral to slightly bumpers up. And treble was same to very slightly reduced.

Soundstage and separation was as good as XM3. Vocals were a bit warmer and in the forefront compared to the Sony's. Bass and treble were very similar sounding between the 2. My only concern is no waxguard on the tips.

For reference I also see Misodiko has tips aftermarket for these as does an eBay seller. Also seems that the freebud pro have oval tips that word fit.

Would love to hear from more 85t users. To me they beat the Technics 1more and 75t sound handily. Find they are up there with the Sony. Some songs I prefer the Sony tuned sound others the 85t.

85t benefit are the ipx4,Qi charging, smaller case and bud size as well as better more secure fit with these tips. Also multi device pairing. You also have more control via the buttons which for me is a plus and buttons are more glocve and had friendly for us northerners.

ANC is too close to call but tests in house seems fan noise was blocked better by the 85t by a tiny bit.

Sony have maybe a small overall sound benefit, but much closer than I thought. Also can use either but individually, though I don't really ever do that

More testing needed but am surprised these are not getting more love here. Must be because of a couple bad early reviews before firmware update and non conventional tips. But I have tried and can with a bit of effort had comy and spin fit tips go on and stay on securely while still fitting in the charger.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #28,210 of 62,417
So I just read a review of the Grado GT220 and it’s really tempting

“the deep fit also helps them block out a good amount of noise without the use of ANC. It also allows the GT220 to provide a full range of sound with crisp highs and a robust low end”

Maybe this noise isolation will be adequate for my noise blocking needs... If the sound is as great as they say, it might be worth the trade off

They also say a lot of good things about the Hifiman’s TWS800 but the fit and isolation don’t sound as good as the Grado

http://hifitrends.com/2020/11/13/gr...lling-bluetooth-earbuds-have-brilliant-sound/

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #28,211 of 62,417
So I just read a review of the Grado GT220 and it’s really tempting

“the deep fit also helps them block out a good amount of noise without the use of ANC. It also allows the GT220 to provide a full range of sound with crisp highs and a robust low end”

Maybe this noise isolation will be adequate for my noise blocking needs... If the sound is as great as they say, it might be worth the trade off

They also say a lot of good things about the Hifiman’s TWS800 but the fit and isolation don’t sound as good as the Grado

http://hifitrends.com/2020/11/13/gr...lling-bluetooth-earbuds-have-brilliant-sound/

for me personally, no amount of passive isolation can replace the way ANC perform. even with the most deep insertion like the Etys or solid blocking like the KZ ZS3/4 (almost CIEM blocking at really cheap price). they would cut higher freq but the low freq rumbles still there, and i ended up putting more volume.. not good for the ears and for safety

for riding or walking on the street, i prefer my chifi ANC TWS because it doest have too much passive isolation, but still reduces rumbles and machine hums, so i can still hear small chatter of people, horns, vehicles approaching, and other important clues even with moderate background music playing

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #28,212 of 62,417
Hey guys,

So I have a good news bad news situation over here and I’m looking for some advice.

The bad news is that I have misplaced my Bose noise canceling buds and I haven’t been able to find them for a few days

Good thing is that it gives me an excuse to buy a new pair of true wireless :)

Since I might end up finding the Bose, I want to go with something different. My needs are:

1) great ANC,
2) superior sound.

I love my NUARL N6P, JH Lola, and my missing Bose. I don’t like the Sony XM3 at all and I’m lukewarm on my Jabra 65’s

I dig classical and opera, female vocals (Norah...), electronic, guitar, jazz, blues. No hip hop

I’d love some advice. Budget is unlimited. Thanks a lot!

I agree with @dweaver
for your genre the technics az70 might serve you best. enough bass, more on mid to high mid and highs that's not piercing.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #28,213 of 62,417
Connected Melomania Touch. Very first thing I did was firmware update. They sound great - as great as Sony with soundstage of Sennheiser cx400bt. Only heard a few songs though so will need more time.

I turned off touch pad controls for now. I want to focus on the app and connection stability for now. 30 minutes in, and it's good & stable so far.

It is more comfortable than the cx400bt for sure, but not as comfortable as Sony xm3. I might need to try different size tips. Currently using default.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #28,214 of 62,417
I increased eartips size to 'large', which seem to be better for my ears.

I'm finding comfort issues with the selectable fin on Melomania Touch. I tried small and large but neither fit. It's either the default (which is medium) or none. Has anyone tried without the fins? Not sure if you need the fins for them to feel secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back