Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #28,021 of 62,434
I had a feeling the AZ70 might be a bit to bass lite for you @Canabuc just from the way you were enjoying the WF1000XM3 sonically. I still suggest using them exclusively for a few days to give your ears and brain a chance to adjust. Also see if you can find some foam tips kicking around also try Sony hybrid tips if you have any of those handy as the help the bass and also tighten the treble a smidge. I also find the Sony more comfortable and also they hold in my ear better.
I don't consider myself a bass head. But there are parts of sound where the strut clearly intended to have some thump or punch. The Technics just don't get that across. Love their clarity and detail though.

Listen to Radiohead Ful stop first minute and ACDC Highway to hell the drums pounding early on. They just are missing their emphasis with the Technics even in bass boost our EQ with bass up by 6db.
I must admit when the ANC was turned on it actually boosted the bass to almost normal levels. If I could get it a bit higher the sound would rival the Sony and best it in areas.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #28,022 of 62,434
Uhhhh, had the Sony foam tip lost in the ear. Pulled earbuds out, out and I didn't see the eartip. I could still feel it in my ear. I was like "crap". Easily came out though. Jeez. :sweat_smile:

Not a good sign lol. I can feel the foam being very loose in the ear almost like it's floating in there. Default silicone medium were good fit, but I went up to the large foam because foam tips seemed bit smaller.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #28,023 of 62,434
For those with Sony wf-1000xm3, are the eartips, which have the colored stems, foam? The color-less stem eartips are silicone? Or do I have it backwards? Or are they all silicone across the board?

It's not very clear to me. I can probably dig through the manual, but thought I would ask here for quick response.

Edit: The colored stemmed eartips are definitely different material. They isolate better so my guess is they must be foam, but sound quality does drop a bit including soundstage/openness. Worth trying for a day for comparison purpose.

It seems foam gets bit muddy, almost muffled.. Regardless of whether it is with my cx400bt or Sony 1000xm3. I don't know if it is a normal phenomena with foam or if it depends on the eartip make.. Guessing it's a little of both.

They're called triple comforts and are a silicone based foam tip. So it's a yes to both lol.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #28,024 of 62,434
I don't consider myself a bass head. But there are parts of sound where the strut clearly intended to have some thump or punch. The Technics just don't get that across. Love their clarity and detail though.

Listen to Radiohead Ful stop first minute and ACDC Highway to hell the drums pounding early on. They just are missing their emphasis with the Technics even in bass boost our EQ with bass up by 6db.
I must admit when the ANC was turned on it actually boosted the bass to almost normal levels. If I could get it a bit higher the sound would rival the Sony and best it in areas.
I am not normally a bass light guy and I am not a bass head either so I appreciate good bass. I also used to love a darker sound which is why I own the Z7 and Nighthawk headphones among others. Which is why the AZ70 are against my norm and why I wonder if they change over time because they don't feel as bass light as they did originally. My favorite IEM of all time (until they died) was the Sony XBA-Z5 which had huge bass and was definitely darker tonally. I also loved my Sony MDR-7550 when I had them (stupidly sold them and "upgraded" to the MDR-EX1000 which I hated due to its sibilance and shrill treble).

No I definitely like a warmer sound which is why I was tempted to buy the WF-1000XM3 myself. But the more I use the AZ70 the more I like them so either I have been changing or they have, or maybe a bit of both... But I did have to switch to different tips for sure to really appreciate them.

Music wise I listen to everything from classical, to rock like Pink Floyd, to Celtic, and a lot of acoustic oriented music. Where I notice the sub bass the most is on some electronic music I own and several soundtracks usually from guys like Hans Zimmer. I also love alot of Jazz ranging from Miles Davis to Patricia Barber.

Just fired up Highway to Hell and can hear what your saying about the kick drum I switched back and forth from the AZ70 and the Sony WF-XB700. On my AZ70 using Sony tips I get punch from the kick drum but its definitely picked up a notch or 2 on the Sony. But once that song starts to play other instruments the Sony becomes a warm mess when the first guitar (bass guitar??) starts playing whereas that guitar is taught and controlled on the AZ70. So for me with the right tips while the bass is a bit more punchy than thumping I appreciate how the AZ70 handles the rest of the instruments and have started to appreciate that tighter presentation even for the bass. perfect world world would be right between the 2 headphones truth be told...

That Radiohead song has similar results, the bass definitely sounds better on the Sony which has more thump at the beginning of the song but once the rest of the music kicks in I appreciate the AZ70 presentation more and the bass falls in line with the rest of the song for me. For kicks I switched to the supplied tips and they definitely made the bass worse and actually made the rest of the song less sharp and articulate. I then switched to the comply foam tips I have on hand and the bass started to be more like the Sony gaining a bit of thump. Switching between the Sony hybrid tip and the Foam I actually prefer the overall presentation more with the hybrid tip but the comply tip definitely adds more thump and is very close sonically so for more bass would be the better route to go.

As mentioned earlier I have owned LOTS of Sony iems so luckily have lots of hybrid tips kicking around so they are an easy switch out for me. Hopefully you some handy. If not PM me and depending on what size you need I might be able to hook you up :). Or just look for something like this, Sony MDREX110AP/B In-Ear Headphones With Microphone (Black): Amazon.ca: Electronics, or this if you got white/silver, Sony MDREX110AP/W In-Ear Headphones With Microphone (White): Amazon.ca: Electronics, or this Sony MH-EX300AP in-Ear Stereo Headset Headphone Earphone for Xperia Z/ZL/V / LT36i / LT35i / LT25i: Amazon.ca: Electronics if you want a Sony IEM you might also enjoy on its own. The first 2 definitely have the hybrid tips, that last looks like it but I am not completely sure.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #28,025 of 62,434
I am not normally a bass light guy and I am not a bass head either so I appreciate good bass. I also used to love a darker sound which is why I own the Z7 and Nighthawk headphones among others. Which is why the AZ70 are against my norm and why I wonder if they change over time because they don't feel as bass light as they did originally. My favorite IEM of all time (until they died) was the Sony XBA-Z5 which had huge bass and was definitely darker tonally. I also loved my Sony MDR-7550 when I had them (stupidly sold them and "upgraded" to the MDR-EX1000 which I hated due to its sibilance and shrill treble).

No I definitely like a warmer sound which is why I was tempted to buy the WF-1000XM3 myself. But the more I use the AZ70 the more I like them so either I have been changing or they have, or maybe a bit of both... But I did have to switch to different tips for sure to really appreciate them.

Music wise I listen to everything from classical, to rock like Pink Floyd, to Celtic, and a lot of acoustic oriented music. Where I notice the sub bass the most is on some electronic music I own and several soundtracks usually from guys like Hans Zimmer. I also love alot of Jazz ranging from Miles Davis to Patricia Barber.

Just fired up High to Hell and can hear what your saying about the kick drum I switched back and forth from the AZ70 and the Sony WF-XB700. On my AZ70 using Sony tips I get punch from the kick drum but its definitely picked up a notch or 2 on the Sony. But once that song starts to play other instruments the Sony becomes a warm mess when the first guitar (bass guitar??) starts playing whereas that guitar is taught and controlled on the AZ70. So for me with the right tips while the bass is a bit more punchy than thumping I appreciate how the AZ70 handles the rest of the instruments and have started to appreciate that tighter presentation even for the bass. perfect world world would be right between the 2 headphones truth be told...

That Radiohead song has similar results, the bass definitely sounds better on the Sony which has more thump at the beginning of the song but once the rest of the music kicks in I appreciate the AZ70 presentation more and the bass falls in line with the rest of the song for me. For kicks I switched to the supplied tips and they definitely made the bass worse and actually made the rest of the song less sharp and articulate. I then switched to the comply foam tips I have on hand and the bass started to be more like the Sony gaining a bit of thump. Switching between the Sony hybrid tip and the Foam I actually prefer the overall presentation more with the hybrid tip but the comply tip definitely adds more thump and is very close sonically so for more bass would be the better route to go.

As mentioned earlier I have owned LOTS of Sony iems so luckily have lots of hybrid tips kicking around so they are an easy switch out for me. Hopefully you some handy. If not PM me and depending on what size you need I might be able to hook you up :). Or just look for something like this, Sony MDREX110AP/B In-Ear Headphones With Microphone (Black): Amazon.ca: Electronics, or this if you got white/silver, Sony MDREX110AP/W In-Ear Headphones With Microphone (White): Amazon.ca: Electronics, or this Sony MH-EX300AP in-Ear Stereo Headset Headphone Earphone for Xperia Z/ZL/V / LT36i / LT35i / LT25i: Amazon.ca: Electronics if you want a Sony IEM you might also enjoy on its own. The first 2 definitely have the hybrid tips, that last looks like it but I am not completely sure.
I have experienced first hand how a good deal and a different tip can affect the sound. Will look into those. I want more detail than the Jabra 75t but not at the expense of Bass. If different tips can make up the difference great otherwise the 85t or the upcoming Samsung's sound promising for good ANC with a good sound signature both bass and detail.

Also the tips that come with the XM3 there are 2 kinds. Are either the same kind? I could test with those.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #28,026 of 62,434
100% agree, you need to find the right IEM for you just like I did for me. Personally I love Sony hybrid tips so much I actually have bought cheap Sony iems like the ones I listed just to get new ones so don't feel bad recommending a cheap IEM just to get a set. I actually hate that Sony is slowly moving away from them.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #28,028 of 62,434
100% agree, you need to find the right IEM for you just like I did for me. Personally I love Sony hybrid tips so much I actually have bought cheap Sony iems like the ones I listed just to get new ones so don't feel bad recommending a cheap IEM just to get a set. I actually hate that Sony is slowly moving away from them.
Thanks will try some comply tips next week as I am away from home until weekend. For now will keep trying them. Maybe they will burn in a bit. Are you in latest firmware from December?

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #28,029 of 62,434
Good news.

Qualcomm Announces New QCC305x SoC Series Helping to Bring Premium True Wireless Earbud Features to a Broad Range of Tiers | Qualcomm

I don't think I will be upgrading my lp2 until I see what ships with this SoC on board.

Damn, now I'm suddenly not too sure if I'll should get the Melomania touch.

I thought Bluetooth LE was a bit more far away. Now we might get it within 6 months?

Usually these new chips are just a minor upgrade, so I wouldn't care that much.

But Bluetooth LE is a game changer :/

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #28,030 of 62,434
Thanks will try some comply tips next week as I am away from home until weekend. For now will keep trying them. Maybe they will burn in a bit. Are you in latest firmware from December?
Yup I have that update applied. I initially thought it changed the sound but no else noticed it so chalk it up to my growing used to the sound and maybe the IEM changing with use.

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #28,031 of 62,434
I agree it is Moondrop so people should buy it sort of thing. For their fans more than the TWS crowd in here.

Another oddity is ONKYO having TCL OEM them a set. Now a $60 off coupon which may just make them easier to take a flyer on. https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-TCL...rue+wireless+earphones&qid=1609365855&sr=8-12
1609366173449.png
Didn't even realize that Onkyo was licensing its name to TCL until I saw a pair of ANC headphones that are also made by TCL on sale. Interestingly enouch they seem to be a rebadged version of these, which are regularly $69.99 (the sale price of these).

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #28,032 of 62,434
The Okyo look nicer, less gaudy :xf_cool: . But they are intriguing and do appear to be the same IEM for all intents and purposes.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #28,033 of 62,434
It all comes down to if Onkyo was happy with them as a straight re-brand or they actually had driver/sound improvements made. Probably a straight rebrand for US than sending a model over. Onkyo is so far down the line as far as Japanese true wireless pecking order.

Damn, now I'm suddenly not too sure if I'll should get the Melomania touch.

I thought Bluetooth LE was a bit more far away. Now we might get it within 6 months?

Usually these new chips are just a minor upgrade, so I wouldn't care that much.

But Bluetooth LE is a game changer :/

Half a year and who knows what issues will pop up. Not like Covid is done altering things just yet. Just like I got the Victor as most likely my last one till the new standard. $150 is debatable more than the $300-ish models. Besides even with the Touch the cash would be burning a hole in your pocket 6 months. Who on Head-Fi is really satisfied for 6 months esp. with a major change becoming more available.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #28,034 of 62,434
Hi folks,

Just arrived in this thread. I usually try to go over what people are saying but 1870 pages is quite overwhelming and search isn’t helping.

I’m looking for a pair of TW earbuds and could definitely use your help.

My main concern, as always, is sound quality with a flat frequency response. I own the Shure Aonic 50 and absolutely love them.

I don’t care about the app or EQ or any fancy features. Transparency mode is a must, ANC and a good battery with a Qi case would be nice.

I bought the B&O E8 Sport, Rapha Edition on an absolute impulse but still haven’t opened the box as I’m struggling to decide if I should send them back after reading about a constant hiss, connection issues, disparate volumes between buds... to me they are very beautiful but I’m more concerned if what is fed into my ears is even more beautiful.
I usually don’t like the Sony or Beats sound signature which I find to be bass bloated, or the Bose which are usually a little bland.

They are also expensive so I’m kind of hoping you may guide me between these and the AirPods Pro, the Senn MTW2... or any other you may recommend. Just like this threads apt title, too soon or are we there yet?

Thanks everyone and have a Happy 2021!

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #28,035 of 62,434
W
Hi folks,

Just arrived in this thread. I usually try to go over what people are saying but 1870 pages is quite overwhelming and search isn’t helping.

I’m looking for a pair of TW earbuds and could definitely use your help.

My main concern, as always, is sound quality with a flat frequency response. I own the Shure Aonic 50 and absolutely love them.

I don’t care about the app or EQ or any fancy features. Transparency mode is a must, ANC and a good battery with a Qi case would be nice.

I bought the B&O E8 Sport, Rapha Edition on an absolute impulse but still haven’t opened the box as I’m struggling to decide if I should send them back after reading about a constant hiss, connection issues, disparate volumes between buds... to me they are very beautiful but I’m more concerned if what is fed into my ears is even more beautiful.
I usually don’t like the Sony or Beats sound signature which I find to be bass bloated, or the Bose which are usually a little bland.

They are also expensive so I’m kind of hoping you may guide me between these and the AirPods Pro, the Senn MTW2... or any other you may recommend. Just like this threads apt title, too soon or are we there yet?

Thanks everyone and have a Happy 2021!

From my perspective of a flat response and ambient sound are important look at the Technics AZ70W.
Sony XM3 aren't neutral out of the box bit can be EQ'd that way.
If Qi charging is a must the options are a bit more limited. Galaxy buds Plus have a nice sound and are so inexpensive right now that would be a great 2nd pair if you don't love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back