Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 7, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #27,616 of 62,458
wow, those who bought the Jabra 75t on Amazon on Black Friday/Cyber Monday just got duped! It's been 170$ for the past few days. Makes you wonder if it will go even lower for Boxing Day.

The reduced bitpool is pretty disappointing, I thought budget brands were less likely to screw around with these settings. How bad does it sound with SBC? The Samsung Buds+ has a noticeable rattle in certain tracks, does this happen on the T1 Pro as well? I have the Earfun Free Pro on the way and am expecting the same... I can't see any other reason they would do this except to make people use TWS on their mobiles or maybe to make the connection more stable on SBC. Even so I find the GBuds+ connection on my Windows 10 device to be far worse than through my Note 9.

Why do you feel they got duped? Pretty common for companies to run promos a week or so after Black Friday/ Cyber Monday week but to those who may feel this way, they can always return to Amazon. No biggie so not sure what you meant.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #27,617 of 62,458
Why do you feel they got duped? Pretty common for companies to run promos a week or so after Black Friday/ Cyber Monday week but to those who may feel this way, they can always return to Amazon. No biggie so not sure what you meant.
it dropped even more after Cyber Monday than before

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #27,620 of 62,458
I love my AZ70 but if you really love bass I am not sure it will fit your bill. The WF-1000XM3 may be a better option or the MTW 2 . I have not heard the MW07 so can't say and have no idea what the new Melomania will sound like.

Mtw2 is not within my budget and the sony's just looks so popular that it makes me wanna puke. Also, they are pretty old already, when I buy I prefer buying relatively new models.
Back in the day the chinese IEMs gave hell of a fight to the Western ones. Is it similar today? Do we have the Dunu equivalent in TWS?

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #27,621 of 62,458
Well the Sony are popular because they sound really good lol not sure if that’s a requirement of yours or not 😅

I’d wait it out, should be more options and reviews in a month or two. B&W PI5 + 7, RHA TrueControl, CA Melomania Touch, WF-1000xm4 (? 🤞)

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #27,622 of 62,458
So, after a long time I finally managed to order something new! Yeah Me! (Well, maybe the seller still cancels!)

After reading around here the frequent mention of the Fiil T1 Pro (and so far I did not get to try any of the Fiil offerings) I was curious and looked around and I think I was really giddy when I saw on AE that 2 sellers had somewhat 'civilized' shipping costs of around 10$ (compared to most others that want 50 to over 100$ for my exotic location) .. one seller has a 71% rating, so that's a no go ... the other seems ok and now I paid 73$ shipped ... which considering how much money I am saving this year for not flying anywhere feels somewhat ok.

Less ok is the wait time now ... it says I will receive it before MARCH 6th ... so ... 4 months is now the max wait time ... yippieh .. by then those are obsolete, but what can a TWS addict do?

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #27,623 of 62,458
Mtw2 is not within my budget and the sony's just looks so popular that it makes me wanna puke. Also, they are pretty old already, when I buy I prefer buying relatively new models.
Back in the day the chinese IEMs gave hell of a fight to the Western ones. Is it similar today? Do we have the Dunu equivalent in TWS?
I have to say a bit of the reason I never bought the WF-1000XM3 was a bit of anti popularity social bias LOL. OK when you say your a bass head what does that mean to you? Does that mean you want bass to always present or only hard hitting or deep when required in the song. Do you like a subwoofer type effect or just want it to fully capture the sound of the instrument? If you want something elevated all the time or a big subwoofer type effect the AZ70 is not for you. But if you want those other aspects I mentioned it might be your cup of tea. If you can order from a source where it can be returned then I would recommend taking a serious look at it.

OK, so my AZ70 just did an update this morning and I think they may have done a bit of a tweak to the sound signature @jibberish have you installed the new firmware? Just wanting to get your or anyone else who owns the AZ70 impression on the new update? To me its like they toned down the upper mids and treble a smidge and boosted the bass a bit. Just wanting to make sure its not just my imagination on my part. I like it, it just inched the signature closer to perfect for me.

In fact as I am listening I am super enthralled by my music at the moment. I have tried 3 different tracks I use to judge bass and all 3 sound fuller and deeper. If they release another update unless I am having issues I doubt I would apply it because this is as close to perfect as I have heard in any IEM I have owned. It is what I would call basshead-audiophile quality bass at the moment (not quite basshead level and not audiophile quality but boosted high quality bass). Volume wise I am listening at about 33% volume. Just switched to a song called Zombie by Nelly Mckay and this song has a great double bass throughout the song and lots of cymbal work so shows bass and exposes overly cooked treble and is also one of the best 3D positional tracts I have every heard. When I listened to this initially the treble was slightly to hot and the doublebass was missing just a smidge of the instruments heft and the 3D soundscape was a bit compressed. Now the doublebass is awesome, the high hats have just a bit less crash, and the 3D positioning sounds a bit wider / less congested.

So while these may not be perfect for everyone they are now perfect for me...

Going to be doing up a full review soon these babies as they deserve it.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #27,624 of 62,458
Either I'm too fussy or I don't know...

Received a pair of 1More Colorbuds the other day.

Don't like the way they sound. Cramped sound, too much lower highs. Generally unrefined. Bass is very controlled and on-point tough. But that's it.

I'm a bit frustrated. I already didn't like the Lypertek Tevi's. Also found them a bit too hot on the highs.

The only TWS's I liked until now were the 1More Stylish's.

Is there something wrong here or am I simply a bit too fussy?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #27,625 of 62,458
For those of you who have the original Senn MTWs, I had sent mine in to them for repair due to my case breaking at the hinge (delivered to them last Monday due to the Thanksgiving holiday) and...look what I just found at my doorstep today (only a week later)!

I have to give credit to Sennheiser for honoring their great warranty. They do have a 2 year warranty and the whole process was very easy (I did not even have to talk to anyone and just did it through their service portal). Only cost me the price of shipping but I now have a new pair (box is sealed and looks just like the retail package I got from Best Buy).

Attachments

• 20201207_162617.jpg
    20201207_162617.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201207_163535.jpg
    20201207_163535.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #27,626 of 62,458
Are the Mpow X5, the Tozo NC9, and the Taotronics SoundLiberty 94 (and probably a few other brands) basically the exact same earphones, rebranded with minor cosmetic (and button function) differences? In other words, should the sound, the battery life, the connectivity, and the ANC be identical? Or have people noticed actual differences between them?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #27,627 of 62,458
I had a week to test the Sennheiser cx 400BT (got it for $130) and Technics AZ70 ($160). Both were spectacular.

Packing/case - Az70 wins this one easily. Packing you only care about for 5mins then you put aside & never look at again. Therefore I don’t put much stock into the packing, but Az70 definitely feels more premium. Case is important. Az70’s case is higher quality. Sennheiser is good too but looks cheap next to Technics one. Both get the job done so it probably doesn’t matter much which case you have.

App - Technics has slightly better app. I like being able to control everything including noise cancellation, ambient sound & volume through the app.
Sennheiser app is much more basic. I like being able to remap the touch controls. That's the only advantage over the AZ70's app.

Comfort - Both are comfortable. I feel like AZ70 would fall out even though they were securely in. They are comfortable over multiple hours while sitting listening to music. Sennheiser feels large and bit clunky in the ears. Between the two, AZ70 is bit more comfortable.

----------

To test the audio, I used Amazon music HD and only HD songs. I’m pretty sure they are not FLAC unfortunately. Ultra HD on Amazon might be flac, but not many songs have that designation. Most have HD designation.

Bass - Az70 is deep & very clean thump if notes go low with no distortion that you might get on low-quality cheap earbuds. Bass is not particularly powerful so if you want lots of bass, this is not it for you. Most of my everyday music doesn't tend be very bass-heavy so I don't mind it (much of my music is focused on vocals with quite a bit of classical instrumental - plenty of drums but not bass heavy). I listened to Carl Orff's famous Carmina burana (O fortuna) with deep choir, drums, violins, bass, possibly cello too and brass instruments.
Sennheiser definitely has better bass. It is more powerful while still maintaining the clean thump that is on the AZ70 with no distortions. Sennheiser wins this one for sure.

Mids - AZ70 has clear smooth mids. This is where you enter the vocals territory. Mids sound very balanced to me.
Both are pretty equal to me. Sennheiser’s lows & highs are better so you would probably feel that it overall sounds better than AZ70, but to me there is no clear advantage to either/or for mids. They are pretty balanced.

Highs/Treble - Az70 sounds very good at the highs. I chose to focus on “Concerning Hobbit” musical for this one from the Lord of the Rings (lots of mids too mixed in) and some saxophone jazz piece I found on YouTube. Highs are not blurry, but I could have sworn there was minor distortion on some instrument notes. Highs in vocals sounded very clear though.
This is close, but I think Sennheiser has this one. It is possible the soundstage advantage of Sennheiser is why highs sound better. Regardless of the reason, Sennheiser sounds better at the highs. It was most apparent with Concerning Hobbits, which has flute/piccolo/other high wind instruments.

I didn’t make full use of sound enhancement equalizer. If truth be told, I had tough time telling the difference - it was not obvious. For az70, I mainly struck to “Clear voice” preset. It sounded tiny bit better than keeping sound enhancement off, but very subtle difference to me. I tried messing with equalizer but didn’t know what I was doing. Left it alone afterwards.
For the sennheiser, it was even tougher with only the equalizer & no presets. I ended up keeping it at default.

Soundstage - I listened to Beethoven’s Fur Elise and Heart of Courage were used for soundstage. Fur Elise is all piano while Heart of Courage has some drums, bass, violins, the whole shebang. AZ70 is bit lacking here. I also listened to Clarity by Zedd with vocals. All very clear and detailed intricate vocals but soundstage felt lacking compared to the cx400bt.
I don't think this is a fair comparison. Sennheiser is almost in a different class as I go through the same exact pieces I listened to with the AZ70. Heart of courage sounded spectacular -- mids and highs sounded very similar between the two, but the drums and vocals gave advantage to the Sennheiser.

Details - I wanted to separate this a bit from Soundstage. Az70 sounds bit lacking in soundstage relative to the Sennheiser l, but I don't want anyone to think it is missing in details or clarity. No, it is very detailed and you can clearly distinguish between different instruments. I listened to Carl Orff's Carmina burana (O fortuna) once again. It was spectacular.
In direct comparison, Sennheiser definitely seems to be bit more detailed & dare-I-say polished. It is almost neck-to-neck though. I had a tough time telling the difference. Their sound signatures are slightly different.

Features - AZ70 wins here. It has ANC (cx400bt does not). AZ70 has sensor to auto-pause on removal (cx400bt does not). It has ambient mode (cx400bt does not). For me personally, I have no intention of ever using ANC, and I don’t care about auto-pause on removal. I do miss ambient mode though. I wish it had ambient mode..
Sennheiser is a $130 earbud ($30 cheaper than AZ70). It’s obvious to me they didn’t want to overstep into the MTW2 sales, which is why they removed all features including even IPX4. I’m surprised they offer 2yr warranty.

Overall, Sennheiser cx400bt has better sound easily. But you get no features.
Technics AZ70 is bit more comfortable and has full features. But bit higher cost - probably $30-40 more.

Since I don’t need ANC, I’m going with Sennheiser cx400bt. Again, I wish I had ambient mode & I would expect IPX2 at least for the $130 I’m spending. I don’t care about anything else it’s missing.

I do wonder if there are better more comfortable ear tips available out there to make the cx400bt more comfortable. If I can get that to improve, it easily wins this one matchup.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #27,628 of 62,458
Have you sent the AZ70 back yet? If not they just released a new update for the IEM and it changes the sound quite a bit I think. Can you apply the update and give your new impressions before you send them back?

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #27,629 of 62,458
Have you sent the AZ70 back yet? If not they just released a new update for the IEM and it changes the sound quite a bit I think. Can you apply the update and give your new impressions before you send them back?

I packed them, but I will definitely unpack & try once more tonight (I always test when family is asleep and tvs are off late in night - I need silence). I will run through the same songs. Will post my thoughts tomorrow

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #27,630 of 62,458
For those of you who have the original Senn MTWs, I had sent mine in to them for repair due to my case breaking at the hinge (delivered to them last Monday due to the Thanksgiving holiday) and...look what I just found at my doorstep today (only a week later)!

I have to give credit to Sennheiser for honoring their great warranty. They do have a 2 year warranty and the whole process was very easy (I did not even have to talk to anyone and just did it through their service portal). Only cost me the price of shipping but I now have a new pair (box is sealed and looks just like the retail package I got from Best Buy).
I sent them an email, hopefully they will answer back soon. That sure would be cool to get a new pair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back