Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #27,601 of 62,454
Hi. I’m after some advice. I have plenty of great audio gear but I want to go more wireless. What would be great earphones to go for? Don’t mind how expensive they are if they are good. In listen to lots of black metal and edm but also classical. Noise cancelling options would be handy. Audio quality is the most important thing
I recently bought the Technics AZ70 and they sound extremely good for the rock I listen to as well as Jazz, and orchestral music. Not sure what EDm you listen to or if black metal would fit. Maybe give to song examples I could listen to on YouTube.

But I am also a lower volume listener, so depending on your volume levels the AZ70 might be to harsh.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #27,602 of 62,454
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place but it looks like purchase advice is ok here...

Looking for recommendations on truly wireless buds to use for calls/meetings/running. Don't care so much about ANC, but some isolation would be appreciated. reasonable sound quality, comfort, and call quality are the most important. Happy spending up to $300 but somewhat flexible. Don't care too much about ANC. For music, mostly jazz of all types, and R&B/Soul.

I currently use WH1000XM3 for day-to-day but they are awful on calls. For running I have a pair of jaybird tarah pros which have held up admirably but are super uncomfortable. Thanks!
I listen to a lot of Patricia Barber, Diana Krall, Miles Davis, and other vocal Jazz and really like the AZ70, it has good bass but only when present in a song allowing the midrange and treble to shine and sparkle with great ability to convey emotion. I find double bass is nicely reproduced and drum kits have lots of shimmer and detail.

Technically the ANC is good and the IPX4 rating ensure I don't have to worry about a bit of moisture. Thry also have good ambient mode features.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #27,603 of 62,454
Hi. I’m after some advice. I have plenty of great audio gear but I want to go more wireless. What would be great earphones to go for? Don’t mind how expensive they are if they are good. In listen to lots of black metal and edm but also classical. Noise cancelling options would be handy. Audio quality is the most important thing

The sony XM3s might fit that bill. Get the app and turn on bass for EDM. A bit pricey but you did say you didnt care.

I personally am a fan of the Liberty Pro 2 but they do encroach on sibilance.

Perhaps te Nuarl 6 line.

Dec 6, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #27,604 of 62,454
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place but it looks like purchase advice is ok here...

Looking for recommendations on truly wireless buds to use for calls/meetings/running. Don't care so much about ANC, but some isolation would be appreciated. reasonable sound quality, comfort, and call quality are the most important. Happy spending up to $300 but somewhat flexible. Don't care too much about ANC. For music, mostly jazz of all types, and R&B/Soul.

I currently use WH1000XM3 for day-to-day but they are awful on calls. For running I have a pair of jaybird tarah pros which have held up admirably but are super uncomfortable. Thanks!
The new Fiil T1 pro is nice or you can get the similar one the Earfun Free pro on Amazon. For calling, I haven't seen any that can beat the Samsung Galaxy buds line up yet.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #27,605 of 62,454
The Sony xm3’s in “excited” preset sound pretty darn good with edm

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #27,606 of 62,454
Thinking of getting a new TWS to replace my aging SSK BT-03 and QCY QS1.

I’m considering the FIIL T1 Pro and the Tranya M10 ($36 on Amazon).

Any opinions?

I don’t care about wireless charging, Type C vs microusb, or the Frankenstein bolt look.

What I DO care about is at least 6hrs of batter life, Bluetooth stability, call/microphone quality, and of course good sound.

Ambient mode would be a plus. Physical buttons would be a plus.

Is the Earfun Free Pro the exact same thing as the FIIL, only cheaper?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #27,607 of 62,454
Thinking of getting a new TWS to replace my aging SSK BT-03 and QCY QS1.

I’m considering the FIIL T1 Pro and the Tranya M10 ($36 on Amazon).

Any opinions?

I don’t care about wireless charging, Type C vs microusb, or the Frankenstein bolt look.

What I DO care about is at least 6hrs of batter life, Bluetooth stability, call/microphone quality, and of course good sound.

Ambient mode would be a plus. Physical buttons would be a plus.

Is the Earfun Free Pro the exact same thing as the FIIL, only cheaper?

I just got the earfun free pro yesterday and loving the sound. It sounds similar to the Fiil T1X with boosted bass, it is more of a fun sounding than flat. It is quite tiny (both the case and the earbuds). The connection is pretty solid so far, haven't tried the call quality yet so I can't comment on that. It does have ambient tho it is not as good as Audio Technica or Galaxy buds plus. Touch control is also pretty responsive and easy to use. The only difference I can see from this to the T1 pro is the lack of an app to change the settings, etc.

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #27,608 of 62,454
You won't get much better than the T1 Pro for all round strength in depth.

Sound quality is very decent, but after a bit of scrutiny I discovered they have prioritised latency, and to get round the Qualcomm license fee requirement for Aptx, have cut corners - they've only partially implemented AAC-LC, skipping some of the better features that mpeg-4 gives you over mpeg-2 such as SBR, and like Samsung have reduced the bitpool on SBC. Whilst the tuning is pretty good - albeit a tad too V-shaped for my liking - the over compression comes across when songs peak. Don't get me wrong - their tuning alone is better than 95% of other tws out there - but it's worth remembering why they cost what they do and why you can't get a set of momentum for the same price (aside from the obvious sunk costs of doing business)

That point aside, at this price point only the Soundpeats Sonic come close, and they can't be considered due to other reasons - form factor, flashing lights, etc.

I also take exception to the criticism of the ANC. It's much better than the YouTube reviews make out. The problem I guess is that stuff like keyboard taps are still clearly audible but it's like they cut the bass out of them. Any low freq distant sounds are well handled.

The Tronsmart Apollo Bold are the chifi leader for ANC, they are really impressive in this respect. The Oppo 51's are also quite good, but I didn't like the shape too much, and the Edifier are reasonable all round at blocking all frequencies, just not as well as the others.

I've had the Edifier a while - they're good commuter buds but nothing special really. Sound is rather neutral but the mic is massively over compressed in complex scenes. Still, until the FIIL came along they were one of my faves. Only supporting a reduced bitpool sbc codec was also their latency fudge - whilst you get app support and a nicer case than the Earfun OEM version, they have fixed some of the sound issues especially with the mic.

Sub $50 those 3 are hard to beat. The Soundpeats TrueAir2 are fantastic for the money but lack ANC and are semi in ear.
Thank you very much for your response. After reading through opinions I came to the conclusion that the Fiils are the best that money can get.
But your opinion helped to clarify that even more.
Thanks 😊

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #27,609 of 62,454
Read some recent posts here. For a pure bass head like me honoring SQ and ANC. What would you guys go for with a budget of ~150$?
Technichs Az70 vs wait for melomania touch vs stretch budget for the mw07 or Senheiser 2 vs Victor?

Dec 6, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #27,610 of 62,454
For that budget it’s so easy to recommend the Sony XM3s, they’re just so good on the sound front. I listen to a lot EDM and it’s more than sufficient bass wise.

However, I’m also going to try out the Melomania Touch when they’re out, they look like they’d be more comfy than the Sony.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #27,611 of 62,454
Read some recent posts here. For a pure bass head like me honoring SQ and ANC. What would you guys go for with a budget of ~150$?
Technichs Az70 vs wait for melomania touch vs stretch budget for the mw07 or Senheiser 2 vs Victor?
If you are a bass head then I would not recommend the AZ70. It has a balanced tuning, the bass is not over emphasized compared to the mids and treble. Even with bass EQ turned all the way up, they're not in bass head territory.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #27,612 of 62,454
Earfun free pro is good for bass head. The bass hit hard and it has a lot of it too while still providing the clarity of sound.

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #27,613 of 62,454
I love my AZ70 but if you really love bass I am not sure it will fit your bill. The WF-1000XM3 may be a better option or the MTW 2 . I have not heard the MW07 so can't say and have no idea what the new Melomania will sound like.

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #27,614 of 62,454
wow, those who bought the Jabra 75t on Amazon on Black Friday/Cyber Monday just got duped! It's been 170$ for the past few days. Makes you wonder if it will go even lower for Boxing Day.

You won't get much better than the T1 Pro for all round strength in depth.

Sound quality is very decent, but after a bit of scrutiny I discovered they have prioritised latency, and to get round the Qualcomm license fee requirement for Aptx, have cut corners - they've only partially implemented AAC-LC, skipping some of the better features that mpeg-4 gives you over mpeg-2 such as SBR, and like Samsung have reduced the bitpool on SBC. Whilst the tuning is pretty good - albeit a tad too V-shaped for my liking - the over compression comes across when songs peak. Don't get me wrong - their tuning alone is better than 95% of other tws out there - but it's worth remembering why they cost what they do and why you can't get a set of momentum for the same price (aside from the obvious sunk costs of doing business)
The reduced bitpool is pretty disappointing, I thought budget brands were less likely to screw around with these settings. How bad does it sound with SBC? The Samsung Buds+ has a noticeable rattle in certain tracks, does this happen on the T1 Pro as well? I have the Earfun Free Pro on the way and am expecting the same... I can't see any other reason they would do this except to make people use TWS on their mobiles or maybe to make the connection more stable on SBC. Even so I find the GBuds+ connection on my Windows 10 device to be far worse than through my Note 9.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #27,615 of 62,454
wow, those who bought the Jabra 75t on Amazon on Black Friday/Cyber Monday just got duped! It's been 170$ for the past few days. Makes you wonder if it will go even lower for Boxing Day.

The reduced bitpool is pretty disappointing, I thought budget brands were less likely to screw around with these settings. How bad does it sound with SBC? The Samsung Buds+ has a noticeable rattle in certain tracks, does this happen on the T1 Pro as well? I have the Earfun Free Pro on the way and am expecting the same... I can't see any other reason they would do this except to make people use TWS on their mobiles or maybe to make the connection more stable on SBC. Even so I find the GBuds+ connection on my Windows 10 device to be far worse than through my Note 9.
My T1X always use AAC even when connected to android. It is fine and I couldn't hear any rattle at all. GBuds+ on the other hand is pretty noticeable when connected to my PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back