Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 25, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #26,881 of 62,689
I have to say after using the WF-XB700 the past couple of weeks these suprise the heck out of me.

Usually anything labeled XB from Sony is inherently bloated with massive amounts of bass and warmth. But the XB700 is way more balanced sounding than even the 1000XM3. The first couple of days I was EQing down the bass but then found I didn't need to do that anymore. Now I find I sometimes tweak the mids a treble up a bit but more often than not I don't have to EQ these at all.

While I also own the LP2 I actually find myself using the XB700 more. It just has a more cohesive sound with a larger sound stage. The LP2 has more features and a better battery but the XB700 is proving adequate for my needs as I rarely run in to charging issues.

The LP2 has less mic issues though as I have had people complain there is to much background noise on phone calls sometimes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #26,882 of 62,689
Went in to another best buy to see if staff had any more info as to why new York got the 85t and not sf bay area. No answer given. Pre ordered on Amazon just now. Had my APP stolen, so I'm hopeful the 85t will fill that need (anc and call quality.)
Had to find someone that believed they were there for me to get them at Best Buy in North Carolina. They are not yet in the store plan on their computer.
They were located all together on a top shelf near the Bose display down the isle from the a Jabra end cap.

Almost gave up until a stock room guy got aggressive and found them.

Btw unless you are only focused on sound quality don't think you will like them coming from the APP. You do have until January now to return..

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #26,883 of 62,689
Had to find someone that believed they were there for me to get them at Best Buy in North Carolina. They are not yet in the store plan on their computer.
They were located all together on a top shelf near the Bose display down the isle from the a Jabra end cap.

Almost gave up until a stock room guy got aggressive and found them.

Btw unless you are only focused on sound quality don't think you will like them coming from the APP. You do have until January now to return..
only looking for anc and call quality. I will measure and make my own wavelet compensation files, so SQ will be covered there.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #26,884 of 62,689
TWS and most wired IEM also lack quality sub-bass... I got Unique Melody MEST and they have just the right amount of sub-bass which is missing in my MTW2. MEST also have much more accurate and ample treble than MTW2. But other than these two differences, I would say MTW2 sounds 80% of what these kilobuck IEMs sound which is a pretty great achievement imo by Sennheiser.

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #26,885 of 62,689
One big difference between the Jabra 75 and 85 is the bass. To me the Bass goes a lot deeper with the 75s. Right now I'm eq'ing the 85s via UAPP streaming Tidal and it's much better but I'm not a real fan of using eq.
I did try the Spinfits I have on these but the boss on the buds is short and don't seem to fit right. I was able to get them on but I actually like the sound of the stock tips best so far.

How is the ANC on 85?

Oct 25, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #26,888 of 62,689
I'm not sure if this the correct place to post.

Does anyone have information on UE FITS? It's pre-order stage so not much info.

https://custom.ultimateears.com/pages/ue-fits

It seems to mold to your ears instantly for a custom fit. Thinking of pre-ordering to lock in special price. edit:, nvm the pre-order price of $219 is no longer available.

sq.png

uefit.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #26,889 of 62,689
I agree, I don't want it to be as bassy as the 75s but like you mentioned above I want it to extend more just to give it a bit of meat. I'm happy they don't sound the same as each other or I wouldn't want them.
I'm using the large tips and trying to find a good spot for when they are in my ears to get a good "seal". I hope Spinfits will make a better tip for these in the near future.

Agreed re-tips. The 85t are a very, very solid package, but I have a harder time getting a good seal in my left ear than my right, even with the L tips. Did you all get a firmware update as soon as you got them? Honestly, I'm not sure if it was the seal or an imbalance, but the left seemed slightly quieter/less bassy than the right, but it sounded better after the update. I'm now on firmware: 1.16.0 (1033)

Oct 25, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #26,890 of 62,689
Just to share some images of the Nuarl NT01AX, Nuarl N6, Huawei Freebuds Pro, and Jabra Elite 85T, and some thoughts re: Freebuds Pro vs 85T:

• Apps: Freebuds Pro do not have an app for iOS and their best features are tied to the Huawei ecosystem. E85T have an app for iOS. Winner: E85T
  • Phone Calls Freebuds Pro and E85T both are great for phone calls/canceling wind noise. The E85T sidetone makes the call experience slightly nicer on my end, and the call EQ in the app is useful to help with poor connections. Winner: E85T
  • Controls: The Freebuds Pro stem controls were very easy and intuitive for me, and allow me to do virtually all the things I want them to do without the app. The E85T have fully customizable controls, but are _slightly_ less convenient and involve pressing into the ear (not as problematic/affecting of seal as others). Winner: Freebuds Pro
  • Comfort: They are both comfortable, but I adjust the Freebuds more often, and wish they sat slightly deeper in my ears. Winner: E85T
  • ANC/audio pass through: Both perform well, but the Jabra app allows more adjustment, and the highest settings allow more hearthrough/louder. Winner: E85T
  • Case: Both tiny, both qi charging, but easier to get the E85T out of the case. Winner: E85T

Now, for me, the most important thing is using these to listen to bass filled dynamic music. When I compare the two, the E85T have more bass presence and extension than the Freebuds Pro, and I believe it is due to the drivers, tuning, and slightly larger casing. In addition, the app allows you to customize the sound profile to your liking/EQ - something I cannot do with the Freebuds Pro (no app). They both sound good, but the E85T sound slightly more spacious and detailed, and deliver more in the sub-bass region - but the biggest difference for me is that the E85T soundstage and depth, throughout the tonal range, feels more immersive. I am slightly aware of how 'close' the Freebuds Pro are as earbuds in my ears, and it feels as though the driver has less space within the housing to resonate and, like with a subwoofer, there is no substitute for 'air movement'/space/resonance when it comes to a dynamic driver. I prefer dynamic to balanced armatures, and a main reason for this is the presence and texture of the mids and bass, though the BA can be very 'accurate' they don't immerse me the same way. (To be clear, these are both dynamic drivers - the E85T housing just feels as though it makes the dynamic driver characteristics shine a bit more.

I do think that the N6/N6Pro and the Nuarl HDSS tech exemplifies this even better and allows for deep bass resonance, but the overall package and mic quality of the E85T are leading me to keep them and sellreturn the Freebuds Pro.

Anyway, just wanted to share - I really am enjoying the E85T and look forward to using them for work. I do also hope for aftermarket tips to improve the seal a little bit more, but these are a VERY solid offering as is.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (9).jpg
    Image from iOS (9).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Image from iOS (10).jpg
    Image from iOS (10).jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Image from iOS (11).jpg
    Image from iOS (11).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Image from iOS (12).jpg
    Image from iOS (12).jpg
    424 KB · Views: 0
  • Image from iOS (13).jpg
    Image from iOS (13).jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Image from iOS (14).jpg
    Image from iOS (14).jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #26,892 of 62,689
Agreed re-tips. The 85t are a very, very solid package, but I have a harder time getting a good seal in my left ear than my right, even with the L tips. Did you all get a firmware update as soon as you got them? Honestly, I'm not sure if it was the seal or an imbalance, but the left seemed slightly quieter/less bassy than the right, but it sounded better after the update. I'm now on firmware: 1.16.0 (1033)
I'm on the same fw. I also know that I'm not getting a complete seal cuz when I move the buds slightly down I can hear the real potential of these buds and they sound AMAZING when I get that perfect seal. I will have to mess with the tips more. I see Klipsch has a tip that is oval in shape, I wonder if they would fit?

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #26,893 of 62,689
Looks like these just launched for JDM, and while I do like AT products, the specs are rather meh. Though I don't understand the vids, it seems they're trying to sell a lifestyle rather than the TWS themselves:
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/product/ATH-SQ1TW

Would be interesting to see how the low latency mode is achieved and what chip is in use.

Oct 25, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #26,894 of 62,689
Interesting. I like the case ergo - the lip is pretty obvious, and whilst yeah opening it with one hand isn't possible, you're going to have to take the earbud out with the other hand anyway so.....who cares?!

On the call quality - well, I tested only on iphone 8 and poco x3 and recorded the calls. Indoors, they subdued everything reasonably well without taking clarity out of your voice. They didn't cancel out as much as, for example, the Taotronics TT79, but they don't distort your voice as much. Outdoors, and I have every set still recorded, they drown out almost all traffic noises. Your voice is a little lacking in treble, but apart from that it's absolutely fine and fine for work calls in my experience. I never got a single glitch, whereas cheap sets I tested like anything from Aukey, and most of the in-ears other than the Tranya T10, regularly suffered from this. And the Anker Soundcore Liberty Air.....OMG they were terrible! Lots of complaints here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/review...true-wireless-in-ear-headphones-black/6374960

I use an Auna external mic for working from home but my experience generally is far better than yours. I noticed Scarbir reviewed them two weeks after I did and gave them 5 stars for calls - maybe you got a duff pair?

So yeah, sound is always subjective, but it seems to be you in one corner and everyone else saying otherwise!

Oh, and I got the Mifo O9 today. Nothing special, certainly not worth the price

I've just had random chat on the phone with my boy recording the call and asking him what was his opinion on call quality. I went from the Edifier NB2 2 buds on, quiet environment, to noisy, then single bud quiet and noisy as well. He had a hard time understanding what I was saying went using 1 bud with TV on at moderately high volume with general simple chitchat from Brooklyn 99.

I then switched to the Soundcore L2P. They were clearly better sounding and had less issue in general, with voice feeling more deep, but it isn't exceptional either and there was some bitrate drop you could easily hear, mostly with 1 bud in noisy (tv chitchat from same sequence of Brooklyn 99 at same volume).

You might not understand a work because we spoke Québécois, but it should give you an idea of the SQ of call with those. Be your own judge.

The last test I might try tomorrow is using those on team to see if they fare better than thru normal phone call.

Attachments

• Call quality L2P and TWSNB2.zip
    315.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 25, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #26,895 of 62,689
Just to share some images of the Nuarl NT01AX, Nuarl N6, Huawei Freebuds Pro, and Jabra Elite 85T, and some thoughts re: Freebuds Pro vs 85T:

• Apps: Freebuds Pro do not have an app for iOS and their best features are tied to the Huawei ecosystem. E85T have an app for iOS. Winner: E85T
  • Phone Calls Freebuds Pro and E85T both are great for phone calls/canceling wind noise. The E85T sidetone makes the call experience slightly nicer on my end, and the call EQ in the app is useful to help with poor connections. Winner: E85T
  • Controls: The Freebuds Pro stem controls were very easy and intuitive for me, and allow me to do virtually all the things I want them to do without the app. The E85T have fully customizable controls, but are _slightly_ less convenient and involve pressing into the ear (not as problematic/affecting of seal as others). Winner: Freebuds Pro
  • Comfort: They are both comfortable, but I adjust the Freebuds more often, and wish they sat slightly deeper in my ears. Winner: E85T
  • ANC/audio pass through: Both perform well, but the Jabra app allows more adjustment, and the highest settings allow more hearthrough/louder. Winner: E85T
  • Case: Both tiny, both qi charging, but easier to get the E85T out of the case. Winner: E85T

Now, for me, the most important thing is using these to listen to bass filled dynamic music. When I compare the two, the E85T have more bass presence and extension than the Freebuds Pro, and I believe it is due to the drivers, tuning, and slightly larger casing. In addition, the app allows you to customize the sound profile to your liking/EQ - something I cannot do with the Freebuds Pro (no app). They both sound good, but the E85T sound slightly more spacious and detailed, and deliver more in the sub-bass region - but the biggest difference for me is that the E85T soundstage and depth, throughout the tonal range, feels more immersive. I am slightly aware of how 'close' the Freebuds Pro are as earbuds in my ears, and it feels as though the driver has less space within the housing to resonate and, like with a subwoofer, there is no substitute for 'air movement'/space/resonance when it comes to a dynamic driver. I prefer dynamic to balanced armatures, and a main reason for this is the presence and texture of the mids and bass, though the BA can be very 'accurate' they don't immerse me the same way. (To be clear, these are both dynamic drivers - the E85T housing just feels as though it makes the dynamic driver characteristics shine a bit more.

I do think that the N6/N6Pro and the Nuarl HDSS tech exemplifies this even better and allows for deep bass resonance, but the overall package and mic quality of the E85T are leading me to keep them and sellreturn the Freebuds Pro.

Anyway, just wanted to share - I really am enjoying the E85T and look forward to using them for work. I do also hope for aftermarket tips to improve the seal a little bit more, but these are a VERY solid offering as is.

Awesome impressions man, and particularly the comparisons w the FBP. Thanks a lot for this. I’m lucky since it seems like I get a great fit with the large tips provided, but would absolutely love to see more tip options for these things, since it seems that the ANC and sound quality are affected quite a bit by the quality of seal.

As a whole, and it’s early, but the Jabra 85ts are shaping up to probably be my favorite TWS to date. They are the first truly complete TWS package, despite some minor flaws. Full review probably later this week, but I’ve just been thoroughly impressed with pretty much every aspect - from the SQ, the strong ANC / Hear-through, to the excellent call quality and small size of the overall package.

I'm on the same fw. I also know that I'm not getting a complete seal cuz when I move the buds slightly down I can hear the real potential of these buds and they sound AMAZING when I get that perfect seal. I will have to mess with the tips more. I see Klipsch has a tip that is oval in shape, I wonder if they would fit?

Glad you were able to get a good seal even for a little to get that good SQ. I found when I first tried them that you need a good seal to get their full ANC capabilities. Once I switched to the larger tips, was very surprised w the level of ANC. Definitely let me know if you find any other good tips out there that work tho. Seems like these things could prove tip dependent. If you do, would also be great to hear your impressions of the sound since I really am just very impressed as of now.

How is the ANC on 85?

With a good seal, it’s probably the best I’ve tried so far in a TWS. Better than the APP and xm3, but they might have a little trouble with very strong wind. Though I tried em outside today and it deals w a mild breeze very nicely. It’s strong though imo, particularly given the size, and it doesn’t change the SQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back