Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 16, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #26,581 of 62,439
Yeah, if Apple did make significant improvements they’ll be showing it off.
Actually Apple did make significant improvements and announcements this year at WWDC but to support a new part of the AAC toolbox (xHE-AAC), FLAC and the spatial audio with Dolby. I’m not an Apple fanboy but I do admit that this year they have made significant audio improvements in iOS 14...

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #26,582 of 62,439
If your old device was BT 4.2 and now you're 5.0 or higher, you could have both improved range and a higher effective bitrate. A better antenna could have a part to play as well.

If the signal is weaker your older device could have been throttling the bitrate to improve connectivity at the expense of detail. So you might have been getting 192kb or 256kb vs max of 320kb.
Bluetooth max for AAC is 256kbps...

Both iPhones support Bluetooth 5 so the version difference isn’t causing the issue...

Oct 16, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #26,584 of 62,439
Actually Apple did make significant improvements and announcements this year at WWDC but to support a new part of the AAC toolbox (xHE-AAC), FLAC and the spatial audio with Dolby. I’m not an Apple fanboy but I do admit that this year they have made significant audio improvements in iOS 14...

Oh right I didn’t see anything about it on their product page

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #26,585 of 62,439
That seems to be a Bose issue .. I had that with both my SSF (and the one pair that still works needs to be 'watched' for proper charging .. and recently it loves to wiggle off the contacts and hog the BT connection without warning) ... also hearing on an FB group about the newly release Sleepbuds 2 that a lot of people seem to have exactly those issues again ...

Good I did not have a chance to 'early adopt'

man I just hate that about the SSF. My left earbud sometimes is dead for my morning run and they keep connecting to my iPhone while still in the case, unbeknownst to me, and interrupt my phone calls. I finally deleted them from my iPhone Bluetooth list and just use them with my Apple Watch for running.

Oct 16, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #26,586 of 62,439
Hey, thanks for checking this for me. I picked up an A to C adapter, and it does work, but only with the adapter end plugged into the power bank, and even then it takes a try or two to get the juice flowing. No dice at all with the Apple 30W adapter, which has no problem charging the power bank interestingly enough. Apple must be a bit more strict in making sure devices ID properly before it opens up the power flow.

Honestly this is an absolutely huge flaw and if I weren’t flying out on Tuesday and planning on backpacking for a year, this would be a dealbreaker and they’d be going back. Major ****-up by FIIL, having a non-compliant USB-C port is actually worse than having a Micro USB port on the back.

Most USB-C TWS headphones share this same issue.

Oct 16, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #26,587 of 62,439
Besides nice extras like Ambient/Transparency mode and ANC (and actually working TWS+ coz I can never make it work on mine), not much can touch the L2P TBH (at least SQ wise).

Maybe the 1More ANC TWS, but the sound sig is a tad diff, there is no in-app EQ (though it's pretty hard to top SoundCore's class leading custom EQ implementation) and the earbuds aren't IP rated.

Yes, I was referring mostly to the SQ, which is what I care about the most..

For the rest of the features there are better options out there. I still think the airpods pro are a great option for iphone owners.

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #26,588 of 62,439
I was tempted to buy the Earfun Air Pro because they've sent me a discount code and I like TWS with a stem better then without. But I own the Apollo Bold already and no app is also a dealbreaker. There are some differences between the Air Pro and the Edifier NB2. According to the product info the Earfun supports AAC, and maybe software/firmware is Earfun's own development.
From the product page at Amazon:
"E & E (Edifier & EarFun) ANC sound collaboration. By combining the Edifier audio system and EarFun's QuietSmart technology, we deliver a better ANC audio experience."
Has somebody compared the sound of the two?

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #26,589 of 62,439
Has anybody had issues with the apollo bold not charging? If I use the headphones for a while and then put them in the (fully charged) case, and leave them in overnight, even with the case closed, sometimes I'll take them out and will see that they're still below 10%. This is a dealbreaker and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with them so I can send them back for a replacement. I'm using the included eartips, medium size.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #26,590 of 62,439
Having been locked into the Apple ecosystem (by choice, I do love their stuff), the ZMI dual USB-C only power bank and then Apple 30W adapter and Lightning to USB-C cable I picked up three months ago were my first exposure to USB-C. So to me at least it's a new standard, so that video was actually super interesting to see what's going on.

I managed to get the T1 XS case apart non-destructively with some plastic phone pry tools, and it looks like you'd have to Dremel out the center of the grey plastic inside to make room for the resistors, and even then it's gonna be a tight fit and tougher soldering than I'd like to attempt given that my iron has been in storage with a lot of my other stuff and it's been a couple years since I soldered anything. I suppose you could follow the traces a bit and see if there's other points to solder onto, but it's pretty dense in there - the bottom side of the board sits directly on top of the battery so you can't do anything from the bottom of the PCB, and up top you've got that grey plastic piece responsible for holding the buds sitting on top.

Wound up ordering the Earfun Air Pro (the rebranded Edifier TWS NB2) - looks like I can get them here on time if I leave for Ukraine a day later than I planned and I didn't book my ticket yet so I guess I'm doing that. Try the Earfuns out for a while, see if they're comfortable despite the stems, and see if the sound quality downgrade is tolerable enough - and if they support proper USB-C to USB-C charging!

If anyone here owns the Edifier TWS NB2 (@regancipher ?) and can test for me in advance so I can cancel the Earfun order if need be, that would be wonderful!
El Jefe has confirmed to me the T1 Pro charges C2C and then suggested there might be issues with higher watt chargers. That said, the fact that yours won't charge with the ZMI 18W suggests it doesn't work anyways. All of my C2C-charging TWS charge with my 18W PD power bank.

I had their Earfun Free last year, it very well supports USB C2C charging. It's a shame the Indiegogo launch was somewhat of a disaster with my right bud failing to output audio after less than a week and Earfun was unable to give me a replacement because mine was the Oluv limited edition.

Most USB-C TWS headphones share this same issue.
Not recently, Sabbat E12, Earfun Free, Aufo M1, Taotronics SoundLiberty 94 are a few that charge C2C. Obviously bigger brands like Samsung or Sony should work as well.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #26,591 of 62,439
The bottle neck is the AAC codec. However the BT signal should be better than the X.

Apple’s refusal to improve upon AAC is making me seriously consider switching to Android for the first time.

AAC by Apple is nowhere near the problem you think it is : https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/
In general the name of the bluetooth codec is way less important than the actual implementation.

Heck I've just re-tried the Sennheiser Momentum 3 and was able to produce easily audible distortion on that copy by playing single tones above 10 000hz or so with various codecs (SBC, AAC, APTX) and various sources. While in the same tests (with AAC only obviously) my AirPods Pro produce no audible distortion whatsoever.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #26,592 of 62,439
Has anybody had issues with the apollo bold not charging? If I use the headphones for a while and then put them in the (fully charged) case, and leave them in overnight, even with the case closed, sometimes I'll take them out and will see that they're still below 10%. This is a dealbreaker and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with them so I can send them back for a replacement. I'm using the included eartips, medium size.
You could try seating the tips further down onto the IEM, sometimes it's a close fit. I've found tape over the connections on the earpiece and case before - maybe all of that didn't get removed - the sticky stuff left behind can impede charging too. I've used rubber bands around the case when using 3rd party tips before, worth a try as a last ditch effort before returning - if you like them :)

I was thinking of ordering these, at $99 they are at the top of my TWS range these days - the more expensive ones aren't much better, the $25-$45 ones have worked out better for me, and I can buy 2 for less than $100 to have a rotating charged pair - KZ S2's and Tranya T10's - gonna try the M10's next as the price drops.

Please let us know how the Apollo Bolds work out - if you can get them charging - and how they sound? Thank you. :wink:
...But I own the Apollo Bold already and no app is also a dealbreaker.
Are your Apollo Bold's charging ok for you?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #26,593 of 62,439
They both measure the same as Xelastec.
I might be able to try the APP Xelastec later today, see if it fits on the galaxy buds.
Good to know, I haven't tried the Xelastec models yet, the Short's were working for me.

Do you mean the AirPods Pro Xlastec? Those look like they have an extra large stepped opening to accommodate the AirPods Pro new model with the large flange fitting.

Which Bud's are you trying to fit, the Beans? Do the "Beans" have a larger flange too, like the AirPod Pro's?

The Buds/Buds+ were normal throated just like any IEM - so that large opening might not work on the regular Bud's/Bud+'s... please let us know how they work out. :)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=azla+Xelastec

AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC for Airpods Pro / 2 Pairs (Size ML)
https://www.amazon.com/AZLA-SednaEarfit-XELASTEC-Airpods-Pairs/dp/B08DS1Y727

AZLA SednaEarfit XELASTEC for Airpods Pro / 3 Pairs (Size MS/M/ML 3Pr)
https://www.amazon.com/AZLA-SednaEarfit-XELASTEC-Airpods-Pairs/dp/B08DS5XWRM

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #26,594 of 62,439
Yes it's a known issue, the charging case is not well designed, some people have put foamy material in the lid to press gently against the buds and make them charge.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #26,595 of 62,439
Hi all! Today I would like to make a mini-review on the interesting True wireless headphones Whizzer B6, shaped like beans.
Let's get started!

CL0Qy0LusoLt6dZGq0kBLjJ6qXl4OFtn12qHqHF7h8x6HWgWV0nb0UmmEfKgyx3wTrCxkM0kXbz_B8V53cbAazHmTS9SvTz4FaiOBQojLQRRYiZkHaUyxaMLEsiYgiTZ5KrnR7U2

The package contents are standard: the headphones themselves, a case for the headphones, a charging cable and 3 pairs of nozzles of different sizes.
The headphones work according to the Bluetooth 5.0 standard and have the QCC3020 module. Supports AAC, SBC, AptX codecs. The claimed operating time in listening to music on a single charge is 6-8 hours, talk time is 8 hours, a case for 1000 mAh or 2-3 headphone charges. They have wireless charging function, waterproof according to the IPX7 standard, work up to 10 meters from the signal source, and have touch control. A dynamic emitter with a graphene membrane.

From myself, I can say that the quality of the microphone is average, the quality of signal reception is good and did not cause any problems.
And what’s with the sound?

l1PNqsMXpkr9Wxbwv52Y_ASuwiaSEfVxBA05ddhdpiFs6wEZNc6y6SreeuDnDcVycMcxkc0vFm1V8zxzGDTKHx_esY5PEJ0xD5gLqywrY5Z-4OE1wI9T3Bn0e8gVjHLoVswaiv2Q

Low frequencies have plenty of sub-bass and mid-bass. There are really a lot of low frequencies, some electronic music sometimes even difficult to listen to, but overall it is very pleasant.

The mids are really good for Bluetooth headphones, but average quality compared to wired headphones. The low-mid frequencies are accentuated, the instruments are large and heavy, the distortion guitars growl pleasantly. The upper mids are smoothly raised, and therefore make it possible to hear more details and interesting play of vocal parts, but not annoying at all.

The high frequencies are greatly reduced and pushed back.

The scene is of course average, but the depth is slightly more than average and makes it possible to relatively accurately understand the location of the musicians.

In general, the sound is very similar to the Ibasso IT01 with less High frequencies. Or, if someone will understand it this way, they have the frequency response of the Harman Target, but with much more sub-bass and an average amount of mid-bass.
The headphones are clearly not bad and you can find them on this site.

oGTwf2ZAvxzC33rurYeMlys0sFVkoWqYWR4V1-ExHsZj-f32h-8giqH7Sk7uhXPJ84jTIwV8augSwiNQVqIL00sN4K9KJOZ5mc5OLlEgGw2W1aNdNFiSb1JTFpT00ug8jGM_I3oz

Are they worth the money? Honestly, having in my hands the Kinera YH623 for $55, I see no reason to buy Whizzer B6, although they have a better microphone and in some ways better sound, but in some ways worse. And of course, do not forget about the fit in the ear canal. If the YH623 fit perfectly in my ears, then I could hardly hold the B6 in my ear properly.
Nevertheless, the headphones turned out to be good and decent. It remains to wait for sales and discounts to buy them cheaper, and then they will fully justify their cost.

Thanks to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back