Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #25,667 of 62,439
Did any one try these:
https://www.jlabaudio.com/collectio...n/products/epic-air-anc-true-wireless-earbuds
ANC, long battery life, low latency mode, wireless charging.
Did I get the spec correctly ?

1599785777492.png

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #25,668 of 62,439
Hopefully they'll add optional play pause for removing an earpiece, though I don't mind it.
I'm using Final E tips, they are my go-to tips by far, they are very soft and seal well, and come in a good range of sizes.

i also have a couple of Final E tips, but if i remember correctly it's a bit longer so might loose contact on charge? I'll try them again later when i have the chance, to make sure.

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #25,670 of 62,439
So, Fostex have finally released a new version of the TM2 control app (on iOS, at least; Android is still stuck on the old version), and with it a new firmware for the TM2. The firmware update requires you to connect each unit of the TM2 separately to your iPhone, and update each separately (uh...why?). The update will take about 5 minutes for each unit, so 10 minutes total.

New features:
  1. 5 band graphic equalizer. It works, though there was some extreme weirdness where the EQ settings only applied to one unit, and required me to disconnect both from my phone and reconnect the other one before they would sync up (on iOS devices, they operate on a primary-secondary basis, with the first to be powered on acting as the primary and routing audio to the secondary)
  2. Environmental / ambient / hearthrough / transparency mode has been greatly improved. Now it has changed from a muffled, weirdly laggy experience that made it impossible to use for holding a conversation to something borderline useful. Two problems: it massively raises the amount of hiss when enabled, and even at its maximum setting, things still sound softer than in real life.
  3. The weird digital tone noise that I noticed previously when playing any music seems to have disappeared (though the ever-present hiss still means I’m still sticking with my less sensitive IEMs to use with it). Guess it wasn’t a fault with the circuit design, after all.
  4. You can turn off the touch controls on the units. Wonderful; I’ve never used them anyway.
  5. The touch controls can be used to activate a voice assistant now, I think? Did not test this.
  6. Oh, this is terrible; my left unit has decided to blast that “BRZZZM” sound that a set of speakers make when you don’t plug it in properly into my ear. Every few minutes. No thank you. These are going back in my drawer.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #25,671 of 62,439
What's the consensus on the quality control of the Jabra 65t? They're cheap now and I'm looking into them but I have read a lot about people complaining about their connectivity dropping, or issues with charging, or them failing after a few months
I haven't had most of those issues, but the left bud hisses at higher volumes and also clips more in certain situations. The demo Active 65t I tried at the store also had the same issue and this seems to be the most widespread complaint and has even been reported in the 75t. Not sure if there's really any units that lack the left bud hiss or if people are just listening at lower volumes.

I'm not sure if mine actually failed but the right bud is now lower in volume. I noticed that when I insert the buds into my ear it still sounds fine but then gradually dips in volume. Then I read a fix was to use a needle and pry out lint from the bass vent - this worked very well the first time but not anymore. Aside from multi-point connection and ambient hearthrough I can't really recommend it at this day and age.

I struggled to get a good seal out of these and the passive isolation is poor, sometimes I'd hear the bass to be very deep but other times I found them to be bass-light.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #25,672 of 62,439
I haven't had most of those issues, but the left bud hisses at higher volumes and also clips more in certain situations. The demo Active 65t I tried at the store also had the same issue and this seems to be the most widespread complaint and has even been reported in the 75t. Not sure if there's really any units that lack the left bud hiss or if people are just listening at lower volumes.

I'm not sure if mine actually failed but the right bud is now lower in volume. I noticed that when I insert the buds into my ear it still sounds fine but then gradually dips in volume. Then I read a fix was to use a needle and pry out lint from the bass vent - this worked very well the first time but not anymore. Aside from multi-point connection and ambient hearthrough I can't really recommend it at this day and age.

I struggled to get a good seal out of these and the passive isolation is poor, sometimes I'd hear the bass to be very deep but other times I found them to be bass-light.

Thank you!

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #25,673 of 62,439
Corrected my post! Muse have been a bit tired when writing it out hah sorry! They are the MTW2.

And yes yes, the were good, not excellent!:sweat_smile:

I tried all the tips on the MTW2 and still not impressed. Firmware is updated, etc. The volume issue is really bad, using an iPhone XS Max and of course everything on the iPhone / Bluetooth is turned up fully.

If I’m unimpressed by the Sony and Master & Dynamic I’ll give the Symbio tips a shot. Sounds like they are good to get regardless though. Do you think they are better than any stock tips or just with the MTW2?

Thanks for the help!

I too found the stock MTW2 tips to be terrible. I use symbios for my wired Dunu and both my Meze IEM's but for the MTW2's I use these el cheapo's I got on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5FZW7J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like my music loud so I too listen to the MTW2's almost maxed out most of the time. I found the same thing happening with my Beats solo 3 on ear wireless headphones as well. They didn't get quite as loud as I wanted them to get so they were also maxed out most of the time. I got used to it though. I use the MTW2's at least an hour a day walking my dog and keep the volume at 80-100% and am quite happy with them. Listen to mostly indie pop along with some electronic music and the sound is really good. Curious to hear if other true wireless buds really get that much louder.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #25,674 of 62,439
After further testing of my replacement TaoTronics 94, I'm afraid I will have to reduce the rating once more. Although it seems like the earbud could last for another cycle I'm not getting more than 10 hours of play time before the charging case is depleted, and the fact that the battery-dead case (which still has enough power to make the last LED indicator flash) turns on the earbuds is also very frustrating. 360 mAh just doesn't seem enough for a ANC product. Wondering if 20Decebel or TOZO NC9 has the same issue.

Also I've been seeing a number of ads for budget ANC TWS like the Lavanda Lune and a few others. They look like they use the same basic shell design as the other three.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #25,675 of 62,439
Haha. I use mine for running and tried to put my favorite tips (Acoustune AET08) on today but the stem is so short that they fall off or stick inside my ear when I put the earbuds out. Pain in the butt given that my XM3's, Nuarl N6P, and JH Lola's all have the regular tips that the AET08's fit on perfectly. The other thing is the case is to tiny that almost any tip I use makes it really difficult to close the case

I wonder if it would be a horrible idea to use something sticky to keep the tips on the stems? Superglue is a little bit too permanent for me
Water based rubber cement

E8000 glue. Semi permanent (will peel or scrape off). E6000 will also work but is a bit stronger.

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #25,676 of 62,439
Hopefully they'll add optional play pause for removing an earpiece, though I don't mind it.
I'm using Final E tips, they are my go-to tips by far, they are very soft and seal well, and come in a good range of sizes.

Hi, I really love the Final E tips, the main problem is that here, in my country (Spain) they are quite difficult to find, and I have found one dealer but only has one standard package with mixed sizes. Any European here who know where to purchase them?. In my CA Andromeda I have achieved the best possible sound (for me) using the Final E tips.

Thanks!!!

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #25,677 of 62,439
Hi, I really love the Final E tips, the main problem is that here, in my country (Spain) they are quite difficult to find, and I have found one dealer but only has one standard package with mixed sizes. Any European here who know where to purchase them?. In my CA Andromeda I have achieved the best possible sound (for me) using the Final E tips.

Thanks!!!

One option is to buy a cheap Final audio product eg Final E500 or E1000 and the Final E tips come with it.

I heard the Kinera Tyr comes with Final E tips too, haven't tried it though, I think it costs $25 USD and the tips themselves sell at $15 USD. (Mass)drop was selling the Final E500 at $20 USD too, so you can see it as buying the tips and getting a free IEM on top of it haha. I don't stay in Europe though, dunno if (Mass)drop imposes VAT and maybe then it isn't that worth it.

I love the Final E tips too, tames the treble and tightens the bass, great set of tips.

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #25,678 of 62,439
New Radius with a focus on sound quality...
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?re...ttps://www.radius.co.jp/products/hp-nx500bt/#
news
Reduces the occurrence of sound interruptions
Radius, fully wireless "HP-NX500BT" with original FLW structure driver

Radius will release the completely wireless earphone "HP-NX500BT" equipped with the original technology "FLW structure driver" that suppresses noise in October. The price is open, but it is expected to be sold for around 18,000 yen excluding tax. Available in red, black, and blue.

"HP-NX500BT" (red)

Newly developed dynamic driver with a diameter of 9.8 mm. The FLW structure (Floating Lead Wire system) is a unique aerial wiring technology that connects the lead wire of the voice coil to the diaphragm from the cavity in the center of the driver unit and connects it to the PCB on the back without adhering it to the diaphragm. Reduces the occurrence of rolling (unnatural amplitude) without giving a heavy load. In particular, it is assumed that the turbidity of the entire sound is eliminated by significantly suppressing the noise in the bass range with a large amplitude, the transient characteristics are excellent, and a clear sound image and localization are realized.

Image of FLW structure driver

SPCCAW (SP-copper clad aluminum wire), which is lighter than ordinary copper wire, is used for the voice coil. As a result, the high response of the diaphragm was realized, and excellent extension of the treble range and crisp bass reproduction were made possible.

Qualcomm "QCC3020" is used for the SoC. The antenna gain and radio wave directivity have been improved by optimizing the placement of parts around the chip antenna and designing a unique PCB pattern that expands the effective area of the antenna.

In addition, the impedance matching circuit uses high-quality Japanese-made inductance with excellent high-frequency characteristics, and by dramatically improving the characteristics of "VSWR (Voltage Standing Wave Ratio)", which indicates the degree of signal loss, during music playback. Realized reduction of sound interruption.

Bluetooth 5.0, codec supports SBC / AAC / aptX. TWS Plus is also supported. In addition to being able to operate with a touch sensor, the main unit is equipped with IPX4 drip-proof performance.

The earpiece has a unique shape that fits deeper in the ear. In addition, the mounting position of the earpiece can be adjusted in two steps by the protrusion provided on the earport. The maximum continuous music playback time is about 5 hours and 30 minutes with the earphone body, and up to 27 hours and 30 minutes when used in combination with the charging case (both measured values).

Lineup of 3 colors

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #25,679 of 62,439
Sep 11, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #25,680 of 62,439
Tranya is coming out with another new set. The T10 were 12mm drivers, these are 14.2mm! Hopefully they should better than the T10s did.

Nice find! They should say bass boost function. How many people will see "Bass Boosted Sound" and think that it is not for them soundwise when it may be fine w/o the bass boost. You are right it all depends on on the improvement. If they are the "ultimate" model they better be a nice step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back