Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #25,096 of 62,436
Just received the Panasonic RZ-S500W and after some pretty poor experiences with the Tozo NC9 and the Apollo Bold this is a nice "shot in the arm" to make one enthusiastic about TWEs again ! This is clearly a well though out package with a lot of attention to detail (rubberized material on the buds for better grip for instance) and good execution (the app while rated at a ridiculous 2.2 on the Playstore is fast (unlike the Sony or Sennheiser app that took ages to connect) and has a host of useful settings. The controls are easy to memorize and the only one lacking really is the ability to activate ambient and pause music at the same time like on the Amazon EchoBuds. Maybe that will come with a future firmware/app update.

These being earbuds the SQ is what matters and the first listens have been very enjoyable. The sound is crisp and impactful with good separation and the bass can be quickly boosted with the "bass boost" option or more finely with the EQ. Passive isolation is pretty good, on par with the MTW2 (I don't have them anymore) but not EchoBuds or Bomaker SiFi II good though, probably due to the fact that the earbuds do not fill the concha as much, and the ANC is stellar (and can be fine tuned in the app). With the lower passive isolation the ANC activation is more "impressive" than on the EchoBuds and while I reserve judgement after more testing I'm thinking the passive+active isolation combo will be close between the Amazon EchoBuds, the best in class so far IMHO, and the RZ-S500W.

Highly recommended, especially if you can get them for the Amazon DE significanly reduced price of 140€ (or used "very good" of 124€).

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #25,098 of 62,436
A3F6D5E4-275C-4C87-A857-52D1C1742365.jpegF292704E-813E-47DD-BDFD-E9BBF8E68C44.jpeg

Using Apollo Bold with apple music with bass reducer EQ and ANC on.

Really liking it. My office needed a fan on top of air conditioning today and ANC is noticeably better than the n400.

Note: even with the Bass Reducer EQ, bass is still heavy hitting and pronounced.
And that doesn't make it sound bad? Whenever i try to use the built-in EQs, either vocals, or bass, or something gets muffled, or sounds wacky, etc.
But actually, that does make a bit of sense. The Apollos have the capability to sound good, so EQ should be very helpful - unless it is a hardware problem.

Aug 21, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #25,099 of 62,436
Aug 21, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #25,101 of 62,436
Just received the Panasonic RZ-S500W and after some pretty poor experiences with the Tozo NC9 and the Apollo Bold this is a nice "shot in the arm" to make one enthusiastic about TWEs again ! This is clearly a well though out package with a lot of attention to detail (rubberized material on the buds for better grip for instance) and good execution (the app while rated at a ridiculous 2.2 on the Playstore is fast (unlike the Sony or Sennheiser app that took ages to connect) and has a host of useful settings. The controls are easy to memorize and the only one lacking really is the ability to activate ambient and pause music at the same time like on the Amazon EchoBuds. Maybe that will come with a future firmware/app update.

These being earbuds the SQ is what matters and the first listens have been very enjoyable. The sound is crisp and impactful with good separation and the bass can be quickly boosted with the "bass boost" option or more finely with the EQ. Passive isolation is pretty good, on par with the MTW2 (I don't have them anymore) but not EchoBuds or Bomaker SiFi II good though, probably due to the fact that the earbuds do not fill the concha as much, and the ANC is stellar (and can be fine tuned in the app). With the lower passive isolation the ANC activation is more "impressive" than on the EchoBuds and while I reserve judgement after more testing I'm thinking the passive+active isolation combo will be close between the Amazon EchoBuds, the best in class so far IMHO, and the RZ-S500W.

Highly recommended, especially if you can get them for the Amazon DE significanly reduced price of 140€ (or used "very good" of 124€).

Hi @webvan thanks for your review is marvelous! Do you recommend it as an alternative to the Sonys that doesn't fit in my ears at all?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #25,102 of 62,436
If you're talking about the WF-1000XM3s I don't know who's ears they fit, it's such a weird design, side-heavy and nothing to hold them in the concha, unless maybe you have tiny ears ? When I had them my only option to keep them in place was to ram them inside my ear canals and needless to day this is not a pleasant experience. I was thinking of giving the SP800N a try but it's essentially the same design and it seems the "wings" haven't really improved the stability according to comments here by those who got them.

So yes, the RZ-S500W are night and day in terms of design with quite a bit of "rubbing surface" against the concha even though they're not as "perfect" as the EchoBuds and the SiFi II that really fit in like molded IEMs for the best possible isolation and "staying in place" ability.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #25,103 of 62,436
If you're talking about the WF-1000XM3s I don't know who's ears they fit, it's such a weird design, side-heavy and nothing to hold them in the concha, unless maybe you have tiny ears ? When I had them my only option to keep them in place was to ram them inside my ear canals and needless to day this is not a pleasant experience. I was thinking of giving the SP800N a try but it's essentially the same design and it seems the "wings" haven't really improved the stability according to comments here by those who got them.

So yes, the RZ-S500W are night and day in terms of design with quite a bit of "rubbing surface" against the concha even though they're not as "perfect" as the EchoBuds and the SiFi II that really fit in like molded IEMs for the best possible isolation and "staying in place" ability.

Hi, thanks yes, I was talking about them XM3s, the deadline to send them back to Amazon is 1st September, I love the sound, but I cannot keep them in my ears, they fall out constantly, is annoying, so that I was looking for the best possible alternative with good sound and, if possible "decent" fit. There are some Galaxy Buds with a good price in Amazon, and also a Tevis and a pair of Jabra 75t and the Melomania 1, but I would prefer something with ANC, if possible, and the Panasonic could be a good solution.

Thanks again!

Aug 21, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #25,104 of 62,436
And that doesn't make it sound bad? Whenever i try to use the built-in EQs, either vocals, or bass, or something gets muffled, or sounds wacky, etc.
But actually, that does make a bit of sense. The Apollos have the capability to sound good, so EQ should be very helpful - unless it is a hardware problem.

With this specific EQ( bass reducer), it sounds pretty good to me. Not destructive as other EQ settings. Try late night EQ as well.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #25,105 of 62,436
I am so glad i didn't cave and buy the Technics, i just got an offer to review them and i get to keep them. I am beyond stoked!

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #25,106 of 62,436
Can't say that I remember any of my Galaxy Buds having trouble Qi charging in hot weather.
hmm, I saw a handful of complaints on Reddit but it doesn't seem all that common. It's cooled down so I can't test the issue now. For the record I was using a Seneo Wireless pad which has some venting on the bottom but can still get warm.

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #25,107 of 62,436
ordered mine few days ago, should arrive tomorrow, I have great expectation!! :)
and yet somehow I am on the fence still ... I think one issue I have is fit, I need to do more tip rolling ... somehow they wiggle loose when I walk and yesterday one actually popped out and nearly rolled into a gutter!!! Thanks to the rubbery exterior, I can't detect any scuff marks from that fall.

SO, I do think I will keep them and will probably return the Aukey TWS .. and heck, maybe even the Tozo. I still have some time .. depends on how likely I will keep the GBeans ...

decisions decisions .. I could send back the Aukey, Tozo AND Panasonic .. and then get the TEchnicx :S

anything new out I shall still get while I have time? Wish the AKG would finally show up on amazon.de

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #25,108 of 62,436
Hi, thanks yes, I was talking about them XM3s, the deadline to send them back to Amazon is 1st September, I love the sound, but I cannot keep them in my ears, they fall out constantly, is annoying, so that I was looking for the best possible alternative with good sound and, if possible "decent" fit. There are some Galaxy Buds with a good price in Amazon, and also a Tevis and a pair of Jabra 75t and the Melomania 1, but I would prefer something with ANC, if possible, and the Panasonic could be a good solution.

Thanks again!
Honestly .. even though I finally found a good fit for the xm3 ... I do have some rather micro connection drops ... and I would probably send them back now, but my time window has passed ... the ANC of the Panasonic is IMHO better .. the sound comes close? Maybe?

Aug 21, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #25,109 of 62,436
Honestly .. even though I finally found a good fit for the xm3 ... I do have some rather micro connection drops ... and I would probably send them back now, but my time window has passed ... the ANC of the Panasonic is IMHO better .. the sound comes close? Maybe?

Hi, thanks, I still have some days left...so that your suggestions are the best for me, because I haven't tested the other models, but I find the Sonys completely impossible to stay in my ears...

Aug 21, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #25,110 of 62,436

Thanks again!
I definitely recommend the S500Ws over the XM3s- better fit, slightly better sound and ANC. Plus more options to control everything from the touchpads. Can't control volume from XM3 without giving up other controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back