Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 17, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #24,871 of 62,436
repaired my og Galaxy Buds, i had given up on them months ago, as i had though i had shorted something or ruined the driver in the left ear with moisture due to using them at work, (extremely humid environment). last night i idly checked the ifixit forum (highly recommend), and found that the issue i was experiencing (very low volume in one ear) isn't uncommon, and the issue is buildup of wax behind the metal mesh, the solution to which was to pry out the mesh with a utility knife, pry out the silicon filter from the mesh, and clean the (huge amount of) accumulated wax out, and reassemble. they sound normal again, which is great, i was about to throw them out, and this was a great save.
That's crazy! It seems to require extreme precision, doesn't it? Perhaps it could fix my right FIIL earphone.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #24,872 of 62,436
Crazy is as Crazy does. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. Here I go again, ugh. Listening to The Sword right now and I want to mosh into my toddler. Sorry, kid.

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg
Nice. I think B&O has had a increasingly hard time maintaining brand relevance but it'll be a sad day if they ever go out of business. I have a ton of their Beoplay gear but I find it hard to spring for their new E8s considering how competitive the TWS arena is nowadays.

What eartips are those, CP100s?

Currently my ranking on just connecting and enjoying music

1) AKG N400
The AKGs are super underrated. Deservedly so, I guess, since they've only launched officially in Korea. But man, these are great. Fantastic clarity.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #24,873 of 62,436
I just picked up the Galaxy Beans (buds live) from my local best buy. To me they sound best on the treble boost setting, and then adding back a touch of bass with the Wavelet Android EQ app. In the normal EQ setting they have waaaay too much bass for me. The clear EQ setting is better, but the treble boost seems the best to me with the small bass boost in the Wavelet app. They are a unique earbud for sure. The ANC does do something, but it's obviously not comparable to my WF1000xm3, and it's not meant to be. These are kind of like listening to an open back headphone which is kind of cool.

Am wondering if we'll ever see measurements of these or if that is even possible since they don't have a tip and make a seal.

How about to sleep in it ? I mean are they comfortable to watch tv on the side on the pillow ?

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #24,874 of 62,436
Getting the Back Bay Duet 50 pro in for review in a couple days.

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #24,875 of 62,436
Nice. I think B&O has had a increasingly hard time maintaining brand relevance but it'll be a sad day if they ever go out of business. I have a ton of their Beoplay gear but I find it hard to spring for their new E8s considering how competitive the TWS arena is nowadays.

What eartips are those, CP100s?

The AKGs are super underrated. Deservedly so, I guess, since they've only launched officially in Korea. But man, these are great. Fantastic clarity.

I am interested in the AKGs, but I also like my Nuarl N6 Pros a lot. The Nuarls to my ear are better or equal to my Sony X3s. Have you compared the AKGs with the Nuarls? Thanks a lot.

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #24,876 of 62,436
Hi!!!
thanks for your suggestion @actorlife , "gracias por tu sugerencia", do you find them suitable also for general use, including sport?.

I would prefer having only one pair, I am finding extremely difficult to keep the Sonys in my ears while practicing sport...and I am reviewing the suggested models here (Sabbat X12) for sport purpose, but one "pair for everything" would be great!!!!
I would stay away from the Sabbats they are treble less and hard to get a good fit when I had them and one side stopped working. I can’t say enough about the Tevi. They are beyond my expectations. Wide soundstage, great tight bass, mids might be the best I’ve heard besides the Anbes 359(No longer available) which I regard as the best budget TWS. The Tronsport Spunky beats sounds very close to the sq and is only $25, but exceeds the battery on the Anbes(4hrs on 50 percent volume) to 5hrs. I have small ears and don’t have problems with the fit. I’d suggest you buy some comply if you want a tight fit for any earbuds/TWS. Another pair I would suggest is the Ofusho 8hr and aptx which has sports wings and sound is just as great at $35!!! These won’t fall out!
Bluetooth Earbuds Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth Earphones Wireless Headphones, OFUSHO Bluetooth 5.0 Deep Bass 152H Playtime IPX7 Waterproof TWS Stereo in-Ear Headphones with Charging Case, CVC8.0 Apt-X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VD3M6M3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EMQoFb0AEDMZ4
If I were you I’d get both Spunky beats and Ofusho. Always great to have a backup. All of my suggestions have aptx. Feel free to ask any question.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #24,877 of 62,436
I am interested in the AKGs, but I also like my Nuarl N6 Pros a lot. The Nuarls to my ear are better or equal to my Sony X3s. Have you compared the AKGs with the Nuarls? Thanks a lot.

I have the regular N6's and got the AKG N400's but ended up sending them back and preferring my N6. YMMV

N400's were mainly lacking in bass presence/tightness (maybe would have tightened up) and were not good for calls.I'm waiting for N6 mini and N10 Pro

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #24,878 of 62,436
I think so far the only thing I don't like about the GBuds Live is the case. This thing is so glossy and slippery I've dropped it 3 times already this weekend on hard floors and my stomach turns each time thinking it's going to be busted! So far no damage! :astonished:
Yeah, I noticed that as well.... not to mention the shiny part of the buds are slippery as well. Beginning to think they should of made it all matte finished.

Going to hunt down if I have any more of these around the house to make the case grippier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD69HKJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zqRoFbZ16QGHE

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #24,879 of 62,436
Yeah, I guess so. It's just that, like you said, the general public oftentimes doesn't see them as such, because Sony does cater to general consumers, moreso than most audiophile brands. BTW, what I was laughing at wasn't Sony, but the fact that they called Jabra an audiophile brand :p. That is 100% not true, amirite?
Haha, yes, agreed... Jabra in the company of those names is funny.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #24,880 of 62,436
I would stay away from the Sabbats they are treble less and hard to get a good fit when I had them and one side stopped working. I can’t say enough about the Tevi. They are beyond my expectations. Wide soundstage, great tight bass, mids might be the best I’ve heard besides the Anbes 359(No longer available) which I regard as the best budget TWS. The Tronsport Spunky beats sounds very close to the sq and is only $25, but exceeds the battery on the Anbes(4hrs on 50 percent volume) to 5hrs. I have small ears and don’t have problems with the fit. I’d suggest you buy some comply if you want a tight fit for any earbuds/TWS. Another pair I would suggest is the Ofusho 8hr and aptx which has sports wings and sound is just as great at $35!!! These won’t fall out!
Bluetooth Earbuds Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth Earphones Wireless Headphones, OFUSHO Bluetooth 5.0 Deep Bass 152H Playtime IPX7 Waterproof TWS Stereo in-Ear Headphones with Charging Case, CVC8.0 Apt-X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VD3M6M3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EMQoFb0AEDMZ4
If I were you I’d get both Spunky beats and Ofusho. Always great to have a backup. All of my suggestions have aptx. Feel free to ask any question.

Hi @actorlife for all your suggestions.

I have the Sonys XM3 but they have no IP rating and I am thinking of sending them back to Amazon, they constantly fall out my ears...the sound is great for me, but they are extremely uncomfortable for my small ears.

I have reviewed and the Tevis and the Spunky Beats are available in my region (Amazon Spain) but the OFUSHO are no longer available here, so that I cannot buy them...I can find here the Tevis, the Spunky Beats and some other recommended models such as Jabra 75t, Jaybird Vista, Mpow 30, Soundpeats Truesift, Bomaker Sifi...I am quite confused about the best option so all your help is welcomed!!!

Thanks in advance.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #24,881 of 62,436
Hi!!!
thanks for your suggestion @actorlife , "gracias por tu sugerencia", do you find them suitable also for general use, including sport?.

I would prefer having only one pair, I am finding extremely difficult to keep the Sonys in my ears while practicing sport...and I am reviewing the suggested models here (Sabbat X12) for sport purpose, but one "pair for everything" would be great!!!!
A quick search will provide you with a lot more details, including my post from yesterday, but the X12 are probably the BEST running TWEs, if that's what you mean by "sports", as their earbud design prevents any kind of "thump" that destroys SQ and they have a surprisingly decent amount of bass for an earbud. This "thump" is present on ALL non earbud style TWEs (the air is trapped in the ear canal and has nowhere to go when you hit the ground with each stride) although amazingly very few people seem to be bothered by this horrible artifact. Additionally you can stay (relatively) aware of your surroundings which can be useful. Now if you mean "weight lifting" in the gym this is not the type of TWE you want.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #24,882 of 62,436
This "thump" is present on ALL non earbud style TWEs (the air is trapped in the ear canal and has nowhere to go when you hit the ground with each stride) although amazingly very few people seem to be bothered by this horrible artifact.
Sometimes I have the feeling it’s only you and me :wink:

also, I think there are a few IEM style TWS that reduce the thud by some pressure vent hole magic. The Nilkin GO come to mind. Bought a second pair because of that ( in black, did not like the strawberry red ones i bought first. )

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #24,883 of 62,436
A quick search will provide you with a lot more details, including my post from yesterday, but the X12 are probably the BEST running TWEs, if that's what you mean by "sports", as their earbud design prevents any kind of "thump" that destroys SQ and they have a surprisingly decent amount of bass for an earbud. This "thump" is present on ALL non earbud style TWEs (the air is trapped in the ear canal and has nowhere to go when you hit the ground with each stride) although amazingly very few people seem to be bothered by this horrible artifact. Additionally you can stay (relatively) aware of your surroundings which can be useful. Now if you mean "weight lifting" in the gym this is not the type of TWE you want.
Hi, thanks again, I will order them, as I told you I will use it for walking (I do not run, but I do power walking) and cycling in the countryside, where I listen to some podcasts, not music, that at low volume allows me listening also the environment if it would be required.

By the way, my daily drivers are a pair of Andromedas (they were extremely expensive for me but I found a pair in mint condition for a budget price) paired with my ES100, I am extremely happy with their sound, I will no change them in the next future, but I have ordered a new FiiO BTR5 because the battery in the ES100 is completely dead. That is why am trying to find a sport companion with the best possible sound, and I ordered a pair of Sonys XM3 at budget price (Amazon) to see if they could substitute the Andromedas when I am for example gardening or cooking, for better comfort, but I would prefer a "pair for all", both sport and daily activities.

Thanks again @webvan !!!

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #24,884 of 62,436
Some quick first impressions of those Panasonic RWS500Z (?) , no RZ-S500W
- they fit me nicely with XL stock tips (5! Tip sizes included) I am getting a great seal which results in:
- very impressive ANC! Possibly the best of all the ANC buds I currently have, but maybe only by a smidge.
- also results in a louder, annoying thud even just walking!!! Seems these are ‘sit down’ buds
- too early to talk about sound, so far nothing wrong, instead I rather like what I am hearing. Bass there but not as boomy as the Apollo
- switching from iPhone to Mac seems to be super annoying: involving total forget / unpairing/ put buds back in case to initiate re-pairing ... unless there is an easier way that I have yet to figure out.
- there is an app. Nothing super fancy so far.EQ offers a bass boost, a clear voice and then one custom setting.
More maybe later :wink:

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #24,885 of 62,436

Users who are viewing this thread

Back