Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 5, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #24,301 of 62,458
The BT20/s are so cheap l just got both MMCX and 0.75mm versions lol. Constant unplugging and replugging the connectors can't be a good thing, and I'm not crazy about that case. Just makes it as bulky as any other TWS with a charging case. What I like about the 20/s is how they kind of tread a middle ground between BT headset and full-blown TWS, the Pros kind of lose that.

edit: the connectors are sold separately? What's the point then?

the price of the BT20/S are almost similar to most mid priced cables anyway, that's why i too prefer to purchase several of them than constantly switching.

but the pro still has it's appeal, because for traveling it's easier to charge and store them than always bringing the Y cable. also by using those swappable connectors (combined with the charging case) it may be cheaper to buy one unit and add several connectors than buying multiple BT20S

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #24,302 of 62,458
Wow. So easy to get out of touch with all this! I had a baby back in early April and with the terrible new post notification system, I completely forgot about this! Had ~300 pages to catch up on the last few days.

I got my Tranya T10s a couple of days ago. So far I have a love/hate relationship with them. They definitely have potential, but they seem to be VERY picky about tips. So far I've had the best luck with the Misodoko Pro foam tips, some random ones I found in my collection that are probably from another TWS set but I can't remember which one, and oddly enough the Galaxy Buds+ tips sound great on them too. Those tips don't even sound that great on the GBuds+! With the right tips, the sound is amazing! Mids and highs aren't as defined as the B530 or B530+, but almost there. The bass has the potential to be monstrous. I had to dial it back a bit in the EQ to not overpower everything else. The only thing I'm not happy with thus far is that without the right tips and more EQing than any of my other Tranyas, they get distorted in the upper mids and lower highs. Like electric guitars take on an almost scratchy quality that is uncomfortable and male vocals can get distorted.

Comfort-wise, they're right up there with the other Tranya products I love. Not quite as form fitting as the B530s, but pretty darn close. They don't look like they would be as big as they are.

I think I still prefer my B530s, but I'm going to give these some workouts to see if they can get the kinks out. If the audio quality can match the B530s after some burn-in, then a B530 with USB-C and Qi charging is a no-brainer!

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #24,304 of 62,458
Anyone intrigued by the Galaxy Beans? I kind of am. I may take a flyer on them and see...

I have been watching them too. Mostly interested in call quality vs. Buds+ as I have been holding off on the Buds+ since the Buds Live was supposed to come out soon (announced today apparently). Really just need something for calls in a small package. I was intent on getting the Buds+ and then I ditched my Galaxy S9 in favor of the LG V60 so I decided to wait since I wouldn't benefit from the extra features you get in the Samsung ecosystem.

Looking forward to some reviews and impressions.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #24,305 of 62,458
A couple of months ago, someone posted a link to a small audio company developing a planar TWS. I can't find the post. If anyone can point me to it, I would appreciate it. I was going to follow up on the progress.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #24,307 of 62,458
Okay Samsung Galaxy Buds live (Beans) can be had for $169 and they go on sale tomorrow! Apparently they have rubber inserts and not the conventional tips.
I grabbed a pair in white. Wanted black but it wasn't available. You can order the white right now. This is definitely a flyer - if the form factor works, I would absolutely love to not have to jam them into my ear canals.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #24,308 of 62,458
Anyone intrigued by the Galaxy Beans? I kind of am. I may take a flyer on them and see...
I've got the Buds+, but I'm going to keep an eye on these. If the SQ is the same or close to the Buds+ and it's got ANC, I'll live with the lower battery life.

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #24,310 of 62,458
I grabbed a pair in white. Wanted black but it wasn't available. You can order the white right now. This is definitely a flyer - if the form factor works, I would absolutely love to not have to jam them into my ear canals.
Where did you order from? Looking forward to your impressions.

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #24,313 of 62,458
Aug 5, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #24,314 of 62,458
Never looked into it. I use a huawei mate 20 lite. I chose the lite because it has a headphone jack :). I guess it has tws plus because I can put each ear phone away individually and power off and the other keeps playing. Both left and right, and I have only 1 pairing. None of my others do this. I haven't checked for multipoint connectivity however.

Unfortunately "True" TWS+ is dependent on the type of processor used (specifically the Snapdragon series starting from 845 and beyond) AND software/firmware/ROM implementation.

And specifically, it will (or at least "should") show BOTH headphones being connected at the same time (with a "primary" designated) through the Bluetooth settings page, with APT-X TWS+ being selected as the codec. This happens with my Creative Outlier Airs on my OP6 with SD 845 + Android 10 (note that the COAs never connected through TWS+ on the same phone in Android 8, hence "software implementation").

Why? Because unfortunately it's Qualcomm tech and that's how they're playing it (unlike licensing the tech as they've done with Apt-X).

Strangely enough, the only real difference between Master-Slave TWS (my L2P) and "True" TWS+ (my COA) that I've seen is that if the "master/primary" earbud is put back into the case (and turned off), the L2P will pause (requiring a manual re-play to continue) and the COA will drop connection for a second before automatically resuming playback on its own.

If the slave/secondary earbud is put into the case with both my L2P and COAs, nothing happens and playback continues as usual for both.

Oh and battery drain differences (Master-Slave drains the Master more while TWS+ doesn't seem to have much observable difference in drain between the primary/secondary buds). That said, the L2P seems to switch Masters from time-to-time (on its own or possibly with every re-connection, not sure) to mitigate this drain.

As for why my L2Ps aren't doing TWS+, well, it just doesn't for some reason. Which is weirder considering the COAs does it fine.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #24,315 of 62,458

Users who are viewing this thread

Back