Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 4, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #24,272 of 62,232
I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of FiiL t1x after reading Scarbir's piece and a few good things on this thread when @d3myz mentioned they're quite cool sounding and a little thin in comparison to a few other budget tws.

I returned a pair of Cambridge Melomania 1s due to them sounding too light and lacking any kind of punch for my ears. They were also far too quiet via my iphone 6 which I found very frustrating and probably didn't help with the impactfulness.

How does the the sound sig of the t1x compare with the Melo 1's? Are they as quiet/light?
I returned my Melos 1 for pretty much same reasons: found the sound not very engaging, the fit was so so .. nothing really to fall in love with ...

Aug 4, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #24,273 of 62,232
I've got the Apollo Bold, Spunky Beat App edition, Onyx Ace, if anybody has any questions. I will post reviews later.
Apollo Bold is definitely bass focused. It is palpable with ANC off but gets a little overbearing with ANC on. The ANC works pretty well for lower frequencies, it would help a lot with an airplane engine etc.
Both the Bold and the Beat case fit third party tips. Using my favourite tips (Final E), I can get a good seal in both of them. While the Bold comes with high quality tips, the oval bore makes it a challenging fit especially if you have large canals like I do. With the Spunky Beats, the included tips are a not as robust as the Bold. Putting the Final tips for a good seal unfortunately brings quite a bit of driver flex with it.
Onyx Ace is a bit strange, it sounds quite veiled, even muffled, at lower volumes. Will look more into it.

Aug 4, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #24,274 of 62,232
Apollo Bold is definitely bass focused.
indeed. after some experimentations I'm using this eq (through the embedded Samsung eq): -2@63 -4@125 -2@250 +1@8k +2@16k , with this eq I really love the sound of these earbuds, still not perfectly linear but very funny.
one thing I've noted: after some 10h the bass levels down a little bit (or the mid/highs levels up a little bit, not sure) so give them some time to settle

Aug 4, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #24,275 of 62,232
That only works for Apple devices connected to yur ICloud acc, right?
This is independent of iCloud. Let's say you have 2 Android devices: A and B. The APP is connected to A but has been paired with B previously. On B all I need to do is go to Bluetooth Settings (or shortcut, more normally) and connect to the APP. I don't need to go to the Bluetooth menu on A to disconnect.

iCloud on iOS 13 means your pairing information is shared across all iOS/iPad OS devices, thus on Android you need to pair to each device (so you need to pair to B, which you don't on iOS). iOS 14 changes this a bit, but I'll leave that for when it is released.

Aug 4, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #24,276 of 62,232
indeed. after some experimentations I'm using this eq (through the embedded Samsung eq): -2@63 -4@125 -2@250 +1@8k +2@16k , with this eq I really love the sound of these earbuds, still not perfectly linear but very funny.
one thing I've noted: after some 10h the bass levels down a little bit (or the mid/highs levels up a little bit, not sure) so give them some time to settle

I've also noticed that the bass becomes a little better behaved after a few days of use. I've also noticed that changing the tips for ones that can go a little deeper also helps.

I've found that these work great when listening in bed with the volume set really low. The additional bass really works well then. I really don't want to eq because I'm using these with my Sony NW-A55 which doesn't feature eq when using Bluetooth headphones.

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #24,277 of 62,232
I've got the Apollo Bold, Spunky Beat App edition, Onyx Ace, if anybody has any questions. I will post reviews later.
Apollo Bold is definitely bass focused. It is palpable with ANC off but gets a little overbearing with ANC on. The ANC works pretty well for lower frequencies, it would help a lot with an airplane engine etc.
Both the Bold and the Beat case fit third party tips. Using my favourite tips (Final E), I can get a good seal in both of them. While the Bold comes with high quality tips, the oval bore makes it a challenging fit especially if you have large canals like I do. With the Spunky Beats, the included tips are a not as robust as the Bold. Putting the Final tips for a good seal unfortunately brings quite a bit of driver flex with it.
Onyx Ace is a bit strange, it sounds quite veiled, even muffled, at lower volumes. Will look more into it.

That's interesting. I have a good contact at INAIRS, who I find to be the best out there for comfort/performance in the foam tip market. They had nothing that could fit the Apollo Bold, so I bought a load of random tips in the hope one would work.

Bizarrely, whilst it appears to have no right to fit on paper, this fits like a glove, and is on offer on amazon at the moment - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WG5Q129/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They even fit my Boltune BT-BH024, can be removed relatively easily, don't stick in the air when you remove the bud and now I can close the box on both and they actually charge without deforming the tip! Bought another set today to see if they fit the Onyx free. Will probably send to INAIRS to see if they can develop something of their quality in that sort of shape

Attachments

• IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0706.JPG
    IMG_0706.JPG
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    684.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    976 KB · Views: 0
Aug 4, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #24,278 of 62,232

I noticed the same. Actually, the FR is now pretty flat after two days use to the point I find I don't even have to EQ them.

Acid test for me is the bassline on Only Love Can Break Your Heart by Saint Etienne in FLAC. If that clips then I know I've got a dud. It reproduces the sound on the Apollo almost perfectly, certainly no bass clipping. Only problems I've had is on badly mixed down mp3's (whoever masters Calvin Harris's tracks needs to go back to music school)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #24,279 of 62,232
Sorry if this has already been hashed over , but I just went though about 100 pages of the thread and couldn't find a specific review. Has anyone yet done a direct comparison of the Fill T1X and T1XS? I've had the T1x now for ages and they pretty much fulfilled everything I wanted other than ambient passthrough - they are highly isolating the way they are even without any ANC. When I happened to notice last week the T1XS I thought I'd check Scarabir, but it doesn't look like Bart has reviewed them yet?

Anyway, I just want to know if they are worth the upgrade.

Thanks!
The ambient pass-thu does not do much on the fiil t1xs

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #24,281 of 62,232
I've just ordered another ceppeky for £24 from Amazon. They are quite good, my bomaker sifi 2 didn't turn up. The ceppeky are tws plus, which is a bonus. Not quite as good as the bomaker sifi 1 , but the case battery life is better. I think they last about 5 hours aac with tws plus which all my other sets don't do.
Also as a bonus my extra large tips fit in the case which never happens with any of my other tws sets. I think they are the same model as xunpul.

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #24,282 of 62,232
I meant it is my first tws plus set. Can't find the edit button on my phone

Aug 4, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #24,283 of 62,232
I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of FiiL t1x after reading Scarbir's piece and a few good things on this thread when @d3myz mentioned they're quite cool sounding and a little thin in comparison to a few other budget tws.

I returned a pair of Cambridge Melomania 1s due to them sounding too light and lacking any kind of punch for my ears. They were also far too quiet via my iphone 6 which I found very frustrating and probably didn't help with the impactfulness.

How does the the sound sig of the t1x compare with the Melo 1's? Are they as quiet/light?

Cool and thin are the complete opposite of the T1x in my experience. Absolutely not the case. I do not eq them through the app either - I found they sound best on default to me. The only way I could think they sound anything but warm and full is if you had the wrong size eartips, but that goes for any of these.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #24,284 of 62,232
So I'm a big fan of the MW07 Plus. I couldn't resist getting the BAPE limited edition. So now I have two pair of the MW07 Plus. If someone is interested I would make you a great deal on my Steel Blue pair. Let me know if you are interested.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #24,285 of 62,232
Cool and thin are the complete opposite of the T1x in my experience. Absolutely not the case. I do not eq them through the app either - I found they sound best on default to me. The only way I could think they sound anything but warm and full is if you had the wrong size eartips, but that goes for any of these.

Ah well that's good to hear. I have some Symbio tips that fit very well. How easy are they 'amped' via your device? Loud enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back