Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 20, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #21,421 of 62,439
First post here, so please go easy on me. :)

First of all i'm from Turkey so my options are limited, please consider this information when giving me ideas. I've a pair of M40x and MR824s, so, i'm familiar with 'quality' sound even though i can't consider myself experienced yet.
I've been using my Meizu EP52's for the last 3 years as my daily driver when i go outside/walking/hiking,...etc. Since it's battery life dropped significantly due to frequent use AND i want something better, i need suggestions in the same form factor(they are comfy both in the ears and around the neck).
What i need(i think) is better battery life on a single charge(6+ hours), better overall sound quality, some good bass response even though i mostly listen to metal/rock/grunge,...etc., sometimes the need to feel the bass comes around, shouldn't break the bank obviously and bt 5.0 + type-c connection would be nice.
I considered earPODs but i think they are not for me(charge, small form factor, easy to lose, good ones do break the bank).

Again, my first post here and i know it is for a recommendation but i hope you fellas would go easy on me.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #21,422 of 62,439
Hi,
would really appreciate ANY input regarding the Adv. M5 TWS *Custom* (https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/true-wireless-earphones/products/m5-tws-custom)

I am planning on getting my second set of CIEMs at 500$ish budget, and not sure if it provides a good value for money sound-wise (regardless of the TWS technology), and how does it compare to the wired M51D.

I know the Universal version got good reviews although it did not include volume control onboard, but the custom version does. I scanned the forums and the internet in general for information but couldn't find anything about them.

Also, contacted Adv., and right now they do not offer customization options to these, so you need to choose out of the three designs they have (and no TWS M55D in the near future).

Still, that the only TWS CIEM I could find..

BTW, does any other CIEM manufacturer developes TWS CIEMs?

As you may have seen, I ordered a pair of these and promised a review. Still waiting on build completion - COVID unsurprisingly impacting timelines.

For what it's worth, they had a promotion on their site that took it down to $450. As others have pointed out, it's expensive for uncertain quality. Value will ultimately come down to individual assessment. I've certainly spend in excess of $500 on BT adapters for my CIEMs and nothing checks the box for design + function (particularly call quality). If you index highly on true custom fit and integration of all components within CIEM housing (which I'm told is an engineering feat by several CIEM / re-shelling companies), these are the first in the world - so it's no surprise they have a price tag to match. Let's hope they serve as an acceptable first pass at the concept, and that some of major CIEM players follow suit with next generations!

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #21,423 of 62,439
As you may have seen, I ordered a pair of these and promised a review. Still waiting on build completion - COVID unsurprisingly impacting timelines.

For what it's worth, they had a promotion on their site that took it down to $450. As others have pointed out, it's expensive for uncertain quality. Value will ultimately come down to individual assessment. I've certainly spend in excess of $500 on BT adapters for my CIEMs and nothing checks the box for design + function (particularly call quality). If you index highly on true custom fit and integration of all components within CIEM housing (which I'm told is an engineering feat by several CIEM / re-shelling companies), these are the first in the world - so it's no surprise they have a price tag to match. Let's hope they serve as an acceptable first pass at the concept, and that some of major CIEM players follow suit with next generations!
1st custom tws, but don't be fool, it a waste of money, it sound worse than wire airpod, the touch function not responsive, lucky to get even 5 hours of use

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #21,426 of 62,439
if you really considering custom fit TWS at this point, i personally think the best way to go is still using custom IEMs with dongles like the TRN, Fiio, Fostex, or Shure. TWS lifespan would be limited by the battery and the BT technology

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #21,427 of 62,439
Yes, due to it a custom can't return

When did you receive them? I think I ordered just a few days after announcement, sent impressions a few days later and have not seen shipping confirmation.

Can you share pics and more details?

It's surprising the fidelity would be worse than wired Apple units, which lack custom seal and sounded like tinny garbage from last pair I owned.

If it's that subpar then I will definitely be making some noise in the manufacturer's direction...

Apr 21, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #21,429 of 62,439
I think my venture into bluetooth headphones might be over.
I have the jabra elite 65t...enjoyed them a lot but I keep going back to my wired westone w30's...especially now that i am working from home. If my jabra's die, i will probably buy cheap amazon bluetooth for phone calls.
My next headphones are going to be full size closed.
bluetooth headphones will always be commute and phone call quality and never analytical so i dont care what new bluetooth version or 'codec' comes out every year.

Apr 21, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #21,430 of 62,439
First post here, so please go easy on me. :)

First of all i'm from Turkey so my options are limited, please consider this information when giving me ideas. I've a pair of M40x and MR824s, so, i'm familiar with 'quality' sound even though i can't consider myself experienced yet.
I've been using my Meizu EP52's for the last 3 years as my daily driver when i go outside/walking/hiking,...etc. Since it's battery life dropped significantly due to frequent use AND i want something better, i need suggestions in the same form factor(they are comfy both in the ears and around the neck).
What i need(i think) is better battery life on a single charge(6+ hours), better overall sound quality, some good bass response even though i mostly listen to metal/rock/grunge,...etc., sometimes the need to feel the bass comes around, shouldn't break the bank obviously and bt 5.0 + type-c connection would be nice.
I considered earPODs but i think they are not for me(charge, small form factor, easy to lose, good ones do break the bank).

Again, my first post here and i know it is for a recommendation but i hope you fellas would go easy on me.

Thanks!

If you're looking for the same form factor as the EP52 (neckband), you're kinda in the wrong place as this is more a TWS thread.

That said, being a fellow EP52 user myself (and I STILL use them as my "in-car-emergency-spare" pair even now), and looking at your list of reqs... maybe the OnePlus Bullets Wireless might just be up your alley. Both vers. 1 and 2 seems to fit your requirements (better sound, Type-C), with only price, BT version(4.1 vs 5) and SQ differences between them.

And the V1s aren't all that much pricier than the EP52s too.

On the other hand, if we're talking TWS (in the spirit of the thread)...

...I actually find my L2P to be a rather noticeable upgrade over the EP52 SQ wise... but of course for more dough with all the other cons of TWS you've already listed. The App and the EQ that comes with it does add a lot of value to the package though.

The Creative Outlier Airs are also decent, if you don't mind a much more "closed-in" sound vs the EP52s... but for considerably less than the L2P (and none of that chameleon-like EQ action).

There's also a few others that I guess would fit a EP52 user, like the Lypertek Tevis... but I don't actually own a pair so I can't comment much about them.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #21,431 of 62,439
If you're looking for the same form factor as the EP52 (neckband), you're kinda in the wrong place as this is more a TWS thread.

That said, being a fellow EP52 user myself (and I STILL use them as my "in-car-emergency-spare" pair even now), and looking at your list of reqs... maybe the OnePlus Bullets Wireless might just be up your alley. Both vers. 1 and 2 seems to fit your requirements (better sound, Type-C), with only price, BT version(4.1 vs 5) and SQ differences between them.

And the V1s aren't all that much pricier than the EP52s too.

On the other hand, if we're talking TWS (in the spirit of the thread)...

...I actually find my L2P to be a rather noticeable upgrade over the EP52 SQ wise... but of course for more dough with all the other cons of TWS you've already listed. The App and the EQ that comes with it does add a lot of value to the package though.

The Creative Outlier Airs are also decent, if you don't mind a much more "closed-in" sound vs the EP52s... but for considerably less than the L2P (and none of that chameleon-like EQ action).

There's also a few others that I guess would fit a EP52 user, like the Lypertek Tevis... but I don't actually own a pair so I can't comment much about them.

First of all thank you very much for the info. I'm glad i found a fella who also uses EP52, so, i can get some accurate information.

I was actually wondering how OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 was. Since i'm from Turkey, my options are VERY limited. For example, i could find only 1 L2P(i'm assuming you mean Liberty 2 Pro), and it does break the bank(opportunism is the key word and they are not even in stock, would have to wait 15 days). Most other stuff, we don't even have it in the country(Lypertek,Jaybird,Creative Outlier Air,...etc).

What i'd like to know now is, how good are the OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2s ? I use a OnePlus phone(7 Pro) too so it might be a good fit. How is the bass ? How loud can they get ? Do they fit good in the ear while on the move ?,...etc. I found 1 pair and they ARE expensive here, but i can do it if they are a considerable upgrade to my EP52s. Time for me to do some research i guess.

I might go TWS route IF they are worth it but like i said, i worry that i might loose them. So, i'm broadening my horizons. So, i can have some TWS recommendations as well.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #21,432 of 62,439
Hi,
would really appreciate ANY input regarding the Adv. M5 TWS *Custom* (https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/true-wireless-earphones/products/m5-tws-custom)

I am planning on getting my second set of CIEMs at 500$ish budget, and not sure if it provides a good value for money sound-wise (regardless of the TWS technology), and how does it compare to the wired M51D.

I know the Universal version got good reviews although it did not include volume control onboard, but the custom version does. I scanned the forums and the internet in general for information but couldn't find anything about them.

Also, contacted Adv., and right now they do not offer customization options to these, so you need to choose out of the three designs they have (and no TWS M55D in the near future).

Still, that the only TWS CIEM I could find..

BTW, does any other CIEM manufacturer developes TWS CIEMs?
Those look super cool. If they had LDAC I'd order them today

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #21,433 of 62,439
I think my venture into bluetooth headphones might be over.
I have the jabra elite 65t...enjoyed them a lot but I keep going back to my wired westone w30's...especially now that i am working from home. If my jabra's die, i will probably buy cheap amazon bluetooth for phone calls.
My next headphones are going to be full size closed.
bluetooth headphones will always be commute and phone call quality and never analytical so i dont care what new bluetooth version or 'codec' comes out every year.

That's funny. My first foray into TWS earbuds with the Senn TWM 2's has me wanting to sell a wired pair of IEM's and looking forward to further TWS releases.

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #21,434 of 62,439
When did you receive them? I think I ordered just a few days after announcement, sent impressions a few days later and have not seen shipping confirmation.

Can you share pics and more details?

It's surprising the fidelity would be worse than wired Apple units, which lack custom seal and sounded like tinny garbage from last pair I owned.

If it's that subpar then I will definitely be making some noise in the manufacturer's direction...

We have never shipped M5-TWS Custom to anyone yet. I would be interested in knowing what product he/she purchased.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #21,435 of 62,439
First of all thank you very much for the info. I'm glad i found a fella who also uses EP52, so, i can get some accurate information.

I was actually wondering how OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2 was. Since i'm from Turkey, my options are VERY limited. For example, i could find only 1 L2P(i'm assuming you mean Liberty 2 Pro), and it does break the bank(opportunism is the key word and they are not even in stock, would have to wait 15 days). Most other stuff, we don't even have it in the country(Lypertek,Jaybird,Creative Outlier Air,...etc).

What i'd like to know now is, how good are the OnePlus Bullets Wireless 2s ? I use a OnePlus phone(7 Pro) too so it might be a good fit. How is the bass ? How loud can they get ? Do they fit good in the ear while on the move ?,...etc. I found 1 pair and they ARE expensive here, but i can do it if they are a considerable upgrade to my EP52s. Time for me to do some research i guess.

I might go TWS route IF they are worth it but like i said, i worry that i might loose them. So, i'm broadening my horizons. So, i can have some TWS recommendations as well.

The Bullets Wireless V2s are said to be a decent leap up in SQ from the V1s (which itself is a leap up from the EP52). If cash is an issue, I still think the older V1s are still worth looking at (it's been mentioned as decently performing buds in several places). Both of them also work very well with OP phones, with AptX HD support and also auto-pair/auto-play/auto-pause natively supported by Oxygen OS.

Unfortunately, I can't speak from actual experience as I ended up with something else for a neckband (read below)... though I did look hard at both of them prior to making my decision.

And yeah, by L2P I mean the Liberties. Where I am it's well above the OPBW V2s in price, but as I already have a TRN BT3S + TRN V90 covering the neckband side (sometimes that monster 20h battery is pretty useful) and I don't have any TWSes yet, I jumped for the L2P once I got some decent coupons for it.

I'm glad though. Like I said before, the L2P is surprisingly "good enough" for daily driving (for me at least), and they're getting plenty of use.

Other TWS alternatives (from the top of my relatively inexperienced head) include:

1) The Sony WF1000XM3 (if you have extra money to blow, but most probably the easiest to find)

2) The 1More Stylish/ANC (I think Xiaomi does push them around globally, Stylish is a bit cheaper and ANC... well... has ANC)

3) The Fiil T1X (might be a bit harder to find, but good value for money)

4) The Liberty 2 Air (a slightly lower end, cheaper Liberty)

5) Soundpeats Truedot - Newer AptX version (cheap and cheerful, not sure if you can find them locally though).

Oh, and if you don't mind Micro-USB charging, plain ol' BT4.2 and the pain (+ extra expense) of having to find separate IEMs to use it with, the TRN BT3S (+ whatever IEM that strikes your fancy) is a good bet too... though unfortunately I don't think it's going to be easy to get one locally from where you are (unless you get it online or something).

And while the BT3S themselves are IP rated, I'm pretty sure I haven't come across IP rated IEMs to pair them with either, which makes the ingress resistance a moot point.

Also, as far as neckbands go, they're pretty large TBH. Guess they had to make fit that huge battery somewhere lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back