Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 14, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #20,656 of 62,460
If you watch the man Flossy Carter he shows the volume works right out of the box. On the manual you see single tap choices the tab over shows long press choices. Also in Flossy review, they seem to be the same size. He also said the ANC is the best he'd tested so far.

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #20,657 of 62,460
Hi Guys!

I haven’t seen any mention of SoundPeats TrueAir here, so with that being said ...
This is my first "review", so be gentle, OK?
iu

These are “open” style earphones, designed so you can hear your surroundings while listening to music or spoken word. If you need isolation – these are NOT for you! If you need earphones for commuting – these are NOT for you! Shopping in a big mall or taking a dog for a walk on the busy city streets – these are NOT for you.

But... if you are at home, a quiet office, or taking a walk in the nature, these are GREAT.
Also, if you don’t like the feeling of plugged-in ears, like IEMs or most TWSs give you, these are for you.

Are TrueAir TWS perfect? No!
Are they better then Apple Airpods (1st or 2nd gen)? Yes.

Sound: ★★★★★ (5 stars)

Clear, detailed and spacious. Similar to Apple Airpods, but more 3D and more spacious. When wearing Airpods I hear the sound coming directly from left and right. When I wear TrueAirs, the sound seems to come from all around my head. The clarity and separation is like going from SD (Standard Definition on Airpods) to true HD (high definition).

I hear people saying “No way, man! These can’t be better than Senn TWS or B&O, or [inset your favorite TWS here]!”

Well.... if you consider that I found them for less than $30 US for a pair (on Amazon) ...
And I am not comparing them to Senns or B&O or Sonies here... just OG Airpods.

You see, TWS main advantage is convenience. And that is why Apple Airpods became the most popular TWS in the history (plus a lot of Apple marketing and removal of 3.5mm audio jack...)

While I do use Airpods for watching/listening to YouTube videos, I always switched to “real” earbuds when listening to music on the go (Fiio BTR1k + Sony MH755).

I think most people here on Head-Fi would consider TrueAir to be slightly on the bright side. To me, they remind me of my old Etymotic Er6: clear, detailed, but unlike the Etys ... also “open” sounding. I can’t make a direct comparison because my Er6 broke last year... :triportsad:

So, not for the bassheads, but the clarity is sooo ...... my SSK BT03 have a lovely bass, but do sound “muddy” in direct A-B comparison and SSKs do sound closed.
TrueAirs sound "open"...
How many good “open” TWS do you know?

- 14.2 mm driver in a TWS? (MF-1000XM3 has a 6mm driver & L2P has 11mm)

- biological diaphragm? (is it “biocellulose diaphragm”. Maybe.... maybe NOT. But I wanted to hear it!)

Build: ★★★★☆ (4 stars)

The case is about 50% thicker than Airpods case, and rounder. You can open the lid with one finger, just like Airpods case. Unlike Airpods case that stays open, TrueAir can close by itself if you hold it at a specific angle. And while it is slightly bigger that the Airpods case, it’s smaller than most other TWS cases. (Yes, TrueAirs do fit is that small jeans pocket.)

The design of the TrueAir earbuds is slightly bulkier than Airpods. Where Airpods are round and “streamlined”, TrueAirs have oval stem and rounded corners. Their build feels slightly cheaper and flimsier that the OG Airpods.

On the other side, TrueAir buds are very easy to take out: put a finger anywhere behind them and pull towards you. The Airpods are much trickier to get out: you need two fingers to do a “pinch”, or a single finger with a lot of force in a specific area. If you give Airpods to anybody who has never used them before, watch them struggle as they try to get them out. TrueAirs don’t have this problem.

Connection: ★★★☆☆ (3 stars)

At home I had no connection problems with TrueAirs when the phone was in my pocket. Why only 3 stars? Well, the range of the Bluetooth is a few meters shorter than the other TWS I have. On TrueAirs I can get about 7 or 8 meters from my Pixel 3A (which uses Bluetooth 5 and AptX). In comparison, I would give original Airpods 4 stars (out of 5) – I can get 10 to 12 meters without interruptions.

The TrueAirs can give you a problem outside though. When I took my dog for a walk and was in a big open space, they skipped a few times. I am right handed, so I keep my phone in the right pocket most of the time. But while TrueAirs do make two Bluetooth connections when you pair them for the first time, when you take them out, the Left one becomes a master. And while I never had any skips or interruptions inside my house no matter what pocket my phone was in, outside – in open areas, they had trouble keeping stable connection from my right pocket to the Left [master] bud.

So, are they unusable outside? No, I do use them quite a lot actually - when I walk my dog. I just make sure to put my phone in the LEFT pocket. :L3000: I never had any skips since. Would I use them at the station? No, they let all the surround noises in. The shopping mall? Too noisy. For places like that I use TWS with rubber tips that “seal” the ears.

Edit:
I did experience problems when I went for a run with my old “small” iPhone 5s. It didn’t matter what pocket I used - it had trouble in open areas to keep perfect connection. But iPhone 5s uses “old” Bluetooth 4.0 (!) standard. So if you have an old phone these are probably not recommended.

Ease of Use: ★★★★★ (5 stars)

Well, they are very similar to original Airpods... but with better controls. Single tap increases the volume on the right and decreases on the left. Double tap stops and starts the music. Long press skips to the next song on the right earbud and goes to the previous song on the left. And finally triple tap starts Voice Assistant. The taps register almost perfectly all the time, unless I touch in the wrong spot. My original Airpods can only register double taps, and they work 90% of the time. TrueAirs do feel more reliable (99%?) and give me all the controls I need.

Customer Service: ★★★★★ (5 stars)

I bought SoundPeats TrueAir TWS at the end of the November on Amazon for a very good price of $30 US. I thought I would use them as a backup to my first gen Airpods. I was interested to see how qcc3020 chip and AptX codec would perform in Airpods-style “open” type of TWS. I was so impressed that I decided to buy a second pair. It was a steal at the price they were selling it for on Amazon. When Cyber Monday came, I bought another pair for one of my kids as a Christmas present.

The third pair had a problem though... The left earbud [the master] had a noticeable (white?) noise. It was easily audible when the volume was very low or in between the songs. I tried to reset the buds and “forget” them from my phone, but it didn’t work. The next day, December 26th (the 2nd Christmas Day) I contacted the seller (SoundPeats Japan) through Amazon AND found SoundPeats page on Facebook and send a private message describing the problem. Not expecting much, because it was Christmas, I thought it would be nice if I got a reply in a few days. But the very next day I got a message from SoundPeats Facebook asking me for more info and to try different things. I did, but nothing helped. So I send a reply back. The next day I got a message saying that they will prepare a new unit as soon as I receive a confirmation email from them in a few days. I few days and a few emails later I got a mail saying that they are sending a new unit to me and I don’t even have to send the old (noisy) unit back. How great is that?

Today, December 30th, I received the new unit and it is perfect.

What about my original Airpods? I stopped using them.

So, are TrueAirs better than original Airpods? Yes!
Are they perfect for every situation? No! But nothing is perfect for every situation.

They are perfect for what I use them for and they feel like an upgrade from my old Airpods.
I think you nailed it your review. I've had a set of these for a month now and they are my favorites by far. Love the clean, crisp sound and "openness". The bass from the large drivers is exceptional if you get a good fit. I bought some silicone earhooks for Airpods and they fit the Soundpeats perfectly and also improve the seal. I just ordered a second pair of the True Airs in black from Soundpeats on Ebay. They are no longer available on Amazon and I'm wondering if Apple threatened Soundpeats and if they are going off the market. They are a steal for the $35.00 I paid.

Mar 14, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #20,658 of 62,460
Sennheiser TW v2 volume "demo" :

Mar 14, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #20,659 of 62,460
Finally!

I think Sennheiser just delivered the end game TWS for the foreseeable future.

I really enjoyed the sound quality on the MK I... But now with battery drain issue fixed and many refinements... :)

-Better battery life (even tho I'd want a few hours more)
- Customizible touch controls
- Sort connections via app ( not true multi point, but a nice addition)
- Sidetone
- ANC
- Better fit since they're smaller

I'm deffo pre ordering these.

I hope custom tips like the Symbios will work on these as well.

Hopefully will se a version in 2-3 years with true multi point, even better battery life and more codecs. Personally I'd also prefer touch controls but I guess touch controls are more "trendy"..

Also a big shame they missed out on wireless charging... Now you can't completely ditch the cables.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #20,660 of 62,460
Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #20,661 of 62,460
Finally!

I think Sennheiser just delivered the end game TWS for the foreseeable future.

I really enjoyed the sound quality on the MK I... But now with battery drain issue fixed and many refinements... :)

-Better battery life (even tho I'd want a few hours more)
- Customizible touch controls
- Sort connections via app ( not true multi point, but a nice addition)
- Sidetone
- ANC
- Better fit since they're smaller

I'm deffo pre ordering these.

I hope custom tips like the Symbios will work on these as well.

Hopefully will se a version in 2-3 years with true multi point, even better battery life and more codecs. Personally I'd also prefer touch controls but I guess touch controls are more "trendy"..

Also a big shame they missed out on wireless charging... Now you can't completely ditch the cables.
These look promising

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #20,663 of 62,460
Anyone noticed these issues on the Buds+
- Ambient sound volume dips down after a loud sound regardless of level you set it at. It still remains usable for most things, but for something like piano playing this isn't ideal (one activity I like to do with ambient sound devices)
- Case seems to discharge quite fast. I've only used them for about 5 hours total use but the case is already at 40%.

Connection is very solid, similar to the QCC3020 if not slightly better. In downtown, I've noticed it sometimes briefly cuts or spazzes on certain street blocks or when a bus passes by me.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #20,665 of 62,460
PSA: looks like Tronsmart just flooded AliExpress with yet another budget QC3020 / AptX TWS: the Onyx Ace. This time looking like a somewhat cheap AirPod 1 knock off. (Also available in white. Edit: looks like currently ONLY available in white.)
CE2C0DCA-52DB-411A-AA16-7BC5541D85A9.jpeg
Not sure what the alleged 5$ coupon deal is supposed to be, but probably an indication that they will be like 22/23$ in the upcoming 10th anniversary sale.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #20,666 of 62,460
Read the manual instead of listning to clueless Youtubers if you want all correct specs/features.

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/13878/M3IETW2_Manual_EN.pdf

Damn, looks like Sennheiser has ditched AptX-LL support on the MTW 2! That’s exactly what I feared would happen a long time ago in this thread! :frowning2:

If they had kept the AptX-LL support from the MTW 1, I would have ordered the MTW 2 for sure! I was hoping they would just fix the battery drain issue and add ANC, and keep everything else the same. Oh well...

I still will consider grabbing a pair of MTW 2 (between that and L2P), but AptX-LL support would have got me across the line for sure...but now, I dunno. No perfect TWS for my needs, after all! :frowning2: (I guess I could forego ANC and consider trying to buy a MTW 1 for cheap, and just have to put up with the battery drain issue...)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #20,667 of 62,460
For those with the Tranya B530 (regular or Pro) -- do the touch controls sometimes stop accepting a single tap? Mine keep doing this. If I listen for a while without interacting with them, they stop accepting 1-tap to pause/restart. The rest of the control scheme still works -- I can double tap to change the volume or long-press to skip. It's literally just the 1-tap that doesn't work unless I reset the buds by putting them back in the case for a few seconds.

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #20,668 of 62,460
Damn, looks like Sennheiser has ditched AptX-LL support on the MTW 2! That’s exactly what I feared would happen a long time ago in this thread! :frowning2:

If they had kept the AptX-LL support from the MTW 1, I would have ordered the MTW 2 for sure! I was hoping they would just fix the battery drain issue and add ANC, and keep everything else the same. Oh well...

I still will consider grabbing a pair of MTW 2 (between that and L2P), but AptX-LL support would have got me across the line for sure...but now, I dunno. No perfect TWS for my needs, after all! :frowning2: (I guess I could forego ANC and consider trying to buy a MTW 1 for cheap, and just have to put up with the battery drain issue...)

My guess is that the new BT chip doesn't support APTX LL, since Qualcomm intends to replace it with Aptx adaptive.

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #20,669 of 62,460
Hello.

I just posted my first review on a TWS IEMS. I've been able to test several TWS models, not many, and these are the ones I liked the most.
I must clarify that my experience in TWS is very limited and in no case, I wanted to compare these IEMS with the wired IEMS, because I feel that the differences are still clear.
I only hope that I can review better models in the future, if the pandemic allows me...

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sabbat-e12.24260/reviews#item-review-23383

Mar 15, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #20,670 of 62,460
Sounds exactly like the problem several of us had with one of Fill T1X earbuds (right for me and left for another member), some kind of unpleasant "fluttering static"...

Interestingly, it seemed to do that more when the tip fit was tight, btw, but still a defect.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back