Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 14, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #20,642 of 63,213
I just made my own "Symbio" style memory foam stuffed silicone tips for my Tevi and these put these in a whole different league. Bass got tighter and slightly deeper, and somehow the very top end seems a bit more sparkly and clear too.

The tips I used are actually tips that came with an old OnePlus Bullets wireless in their smallest size. They are a very soft rubber silicone. The memory foam to stuff inside was made from an earplug. I actually cut and hole punched these memory foam inserts a long time ago, but never really used them. I think I originally stuffed a pair of Sony hybrid tips.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #20,643 of 63,213
In order to test out true independent mode, you might need to take each bud outside the Bluetooth range of the source device.

so i did a test with the Dyplay, Sony WF 3, Galaxy buds, and the Airsun X8.
the test is leaving one buds next to the phone, and walking away with the other buds,and then repeat with the other side.
all of them can still maintain connection (music is still playing) when walking away from the phone. the Dyplay and sony has the farthest range (around 10 meters) while the Gbuds and X8 started to stutter at around 8 meters. for info, that range is also true when walking away from the phone with both units on the ears.

oluvs method let's you hear the differences, while just hearing the iem by themselves may trick you or make you adapt to the sound.

his method is good. people can gauge the sound of a unit better in relative to the sound of another unit.
if only comparing to the original sound file, that's a bit misleading.. because like the ER4XR example, listening to the sound of the ER4XR for ourself is definitely different than listening to the audio file with our headphones/earphones that we use. also keep in mind, ER4XR is really prone to sound difference (especially in treble response) depending on insertion depth and eartips used.
but still, i like that playback demo aspect of his video

the only thing that i dislike about his reviews is the way he dissed a product and calling it a complete garbage, just because it's not flat as water.

for comparison, Jim's review also does sound demo playback, but the difference is he doesn't impart his personal view. he just plays them and let's us decide.

I finally received my Dyplay BQC35 ANC buds today ... and overall I am quite impressed with the ANC for a 50$ TWS set. I am also kinda liking the sound, sure, it is not stellar, but a bit more fun / engaging / toe tap inducing compared to the APP.

Now, I am having one issue ... and I wonder if either @chinmie or @d3myz (did you send your clone back yet?) have noticed that: My right bud has a faint, but audible interference noise. It is too faint to get a proper recording of it, but sure enough it is annoying as heck during lower volume parts of music. And it is there with ANC on and off (correction: only with ANC on!). It is NOT a hiss ... best way I can describe it, for the older folks here, if something was messing with your FM radio or dial TV ... or maybe a grounding issue in your stereo.
I think it might be BT related, I had something similar on my old Parrot Zik 1 full size BT4 ANC cans ... and there it got better when I went and left all other BT items behind.
In case of the Dyplay I have tried 3 different sources so far and different locations .. and that noise is just there ...

Already thinking how to word a nice message to the seller, I would really like to get a pair that does NOT have that sound ...

try to message the seller. my unit doesn't have any noise on either sides, both with ANC on and off.

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #20,644 of 63,213
try to message the seller. my unit doesn't have any noise on either sides, both with ANC on and off.

Did that a while ago ... since it has been nearly 2 months since I ordered, now I see many new feedbacks on the item on AE and several of them complain about something same / similar ... So, for now I ask nicely if they offer some kind of solution, otherwise I have to try dispute, which could be tricky as the sound is too faint to record as proof without a professional setup, which I don't have

Mar 14, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #20,645 of 63,213
Well Ok, so I couldn't resist all the goodness and hold the urge for a new toy any longer and with the sudden disappearance from AliExpress I just fomo'd on finding a listing. I ordered the GT1 plus on banggood for $26 Shipped.

Link for interested: https://m.banggood.in/Haylou-GT1-Pl...ic-Headphone-p-1623984.html?rmmds=orderdetail

Edit: ordered the BLONs and qkz vk4 too. Let's see what this hype is all about. :)
Received the GT1 Plus and I am impressed right off the start:

1. Legible English manual along with hazardous parts details. Shows quality control.

2. The build of the case and buds are so much better than the QS2. The matte finish feels much premium and logo-less buds are a big + aesthetically.

3. Even the hinge caught my attention. The dampened hinge with smooth shutting lid with much less noise shows craftsmanship.

4. The buds fit me fine with the default tips. Comfy AF. Haylou has got the ergonomics right, cant even feel if they are there.

These definitely sound cleaner(!) than the QS2, **** ****, Soundmagic e10c, SSK (maybe, that punch though).

I have received the QKZ VK4 and blon bl03 in the last 2 days. So its been a lot overwhelming for me. I am most impressed with the blon and haylous though. Ssk being an old favourite,more listening may change this.

I'll update as I listen more.

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #20,646 of 63,213
Sennheiser TWS 2 are due to arrive in...April apparently. Earlier than expected it seems. Some details here https://www.lesnumeriques.com/intra...-dans-ses-ecouteurs-100-sans-fil-n148233.html in French
- ANC
- 7 hour battery life without ANC
- Slightly Smaller...they still look huge as in "long", I'd rather see them being large so they can hold better in the ear and isolate better, like the Echobuds
- Battery drain supposedly fixed

Ok so digging through the BT cert and FCC, seems these earbuds use the QCC5121
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qcc5121

So I wonder how the connection to an iphone will occur, is it daisy chain or truly wireless plus? TWS+ requires snapdragon 845 or above according to qualcomm's own site below. And last time I checked no iphone was rocking any snapdragon tech, so I guess connecting to iphone would only be via daisy chain?

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/features/truewireless

Maybe someone knows more? I know even in the normal mode the chip is quite efficient, but if it daisy chains, then the master earbud will drain faster no?

Anywho, the internal battery is 55mAh 3.7 V (0.20Wh), LIR ZJ1254C, the charging case battery is 600mAh, AHB702535. Quick comparison to WF-1000XM3, internal battery is 0.22Wh (60mAh) and the case battery is 700mAh.

Mar 14, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #20,647 of 63,213
Ok so digging through the BT cert and FCC, seems these earbuds use the QCC5121
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qcc5121

So I wonder how the connection to an iphone will occur, is it daisy chain or truly wireless plus? TWS+ requires snapdragon 845 or above according to qualcomm's own site below. And last time I checked no iphone was rocking any snapdragon tech, so I guess connecting to iphone would only be via daisy chain?

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/features/truewireless

Maybe someone knows more? I know even in the normal mode the chip is quite efficient, but if it daisy chains, then the master earbud will drain faster no?

Anywho, the internal battery is 55mAh 3.7 V (0.20Wh), LIR ZJ1254C, the charging case battery is 600mAh, AHB702535. Quick comparison to WF-1000XM3, internal battery is 0.22Wh (60mAh) and the case battery is 700mAh.
So no NFMI then?

Mar 14, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #20,648 of 63,213
Agree. Well shot, but terrible review. I was shaking my head multiple times, like when he said the original had microUSB port. He isn't knowledgeable; didn't even bother sticking around for the sound impressions.
He also said that there was no volume control, another lie. I only watched his terrible review to see the new version.

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #20,649 of 63,213
I just made my own "Symbio" style memory foam stuffed silicone tips for my Tevi and these put these in a whole different league. Bass got tighter and slightly deeper, and somehow the very top end seems a bit more sparkly and clear too.

The tips I used are actually tips that came with an old OnePlus Bullets wireless in their smallest size. They are a very soft rubber silicone. The memory foam to stuff inside was made from an earplug. I actually cut and hole punched these memory foam inserts a long time ago, but never really used them. I think I originally stuffed a pair of Sony hybrid tips.

This is a great use for older/worn out foam tips. Pull them off their cores and slide on to the silicone tip. I've tried the hole-cutting/punch and found that the foam tends to tear. Plus, the earplugs are far too big, so you need to cut out a section with the proper thickness in order to fit.

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #20,650 of 63,213
He also said that there was no volume control, another lie. I only watched his terrible review to see the new version.
Adding insult to injury, when someone pointed it out with a link to the picture of the FCC info showing how volume worked (hold), he said that wasn't in his manual and only worked after an update, hehe...I guess that shows that he's pretty patient. But pretty "dumb" to be able to make THREE obvious mistakes in a 5 minute video (2.5 years old vs 1.5, USBC and No Volume) for lack of a better word.

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #20,654 of 63,213
Yes volume is there, even good'ol'Dumbsky ended up finding it ! Not too hard since it's a setting in the app based on other reviews by people with a brain :wink:

Mar 14, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #20,655 of 63,213
I believe there is a way to enable volume control yes per cnet.
There is. Flossy's review uses volume control. The app the reviewers have is in Beta. The release on 4/3 will fix this. Can't wait! Pre-ordered mine too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back