Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 13, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #20,611 of 62,434
Soooo. I'm still in contact with anker, trying to sort out my returns and what not. They told me the serial number is on the charging case tab, you'll need to pull it out and it's on the back.

To give you an idea. My version 1 starts with 1939, Version 2 starts with 1943 and my newest version ver. 3 starts wtih 1947.
Mine start with 1951500218. Bought in late 2019 in Singapore.

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #20,612 of 62,434
These were on Firmware 1.17 when I received them. I updated them to 1.22.

Honestly, I cannot tell any difference in sound quality between these and my previous L2P. The hiss is still there. Not annoying, but noticeable. And treble is still way too hot for my liking, even when using the Treble Reducer EQ.

I seriously need to try some other TWS at this point. Any suggestions?
User EQ on App

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #20,613 of 62,434
Saw that vid just now. always wanted to hear these. now I don't...:o2smile:
Have you tried the Momentum True Wireless? He said they were crap too.

L2Ps fell off my radar after the hiss fiasco and mrkwd's review of two units, not to mention the fact that they are priced high here in Canada (except that Lightning deal back in December for 130$)

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #20,616 of 62,434
Its just sad because The Ankers are good and now this dude has just swayed x amount of people because he said so. My ankers sound nothing like his version and wouldnt the original and anker version sound the same on the anker? They dont.

It's almost like his fans are doing the reverse of paid reviewers. They were looking for a reason to hate them instead of researching more but i guess thats what separates the devote to those looking for shortcuts.

No i am not butt-hurt. I just found the comments odd and his review.

I do agree they may be a little sharp (perhaps) and can be bassier but its not bloated like his anker version. Maybe i have a superb pair.

naah.. i wouldn't worry too much about that. his idea of accuracy of sound is too strict, that is it had to sound exactly like the playback file. as much as i love the sound of my ER4XR, and i love the (so called) flat sound of small mixing/studio monitors, i also love listening to other "more fun-sounding" tuning.
almost every other earphones other than the ER4XR would sound odd on his rig because it would sound double EQ-ed. just listen to his "signature tuned" TWS for instance..i wouldn't buy it based on his video demo.
he likes to bash.. therefore it's natural that his fans are also the basher-type like him.

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #20,617 of 62,434
So do I. Love the Tin HiFi T3 and DT880, for example. And I find the L2Ps quite enjoyable with the right app EQ.

not really sold on the tunability though - I need to use it from pc and the phone and I'm not sure it retains the tune when disconnected from the device with the tunning ap and connected to a pc for example.... I'm quite inclined to try the galaxy Buds +, as people seem to think it is the most neutral thing ever.

They are great. like @hifi80sman mentioned, they have a really fun signature and they are very tunable.

Retention of the tune across the device is a must then. if it doesn't do that, it's a pass for me.

But why do you take his word over other reviewers? I'm more curious because i listened to his entire video with the L2Ps on and the original sounded great. When he then switched to "how the Anker sounds" it sounded echoy, vocals sounded tinny and has lots of sibilance and the bass sounded loose like beats. Then when he went back and forth with the Tevi, especially on the jazz the sax/horns sounded choked while the L2Ps were closer to the original.

When he started messing with the settings and went back and forth between the Tevi they almost sounded identical and then he's like nah garbage. So, ionno. Of course, its your decision and im not begging you to buy the L2Ps even if it comes off like that.

I still think the L2ps are top 5 best TWS, currently. And they aren't bottom 5.

I don't take his word without any basis. I have yet to see other reviews where I can hear how iems sound (of course it's not an absolute measurement, but still close enough for me). I like this type of review the most - impressions vary VERY much, everyone hears what he/she hears or THINKS he/she hears, but if you let me hear approximately how it sound compared to my own reference point, then it makes very easy to learn how it sounds compared to original recording or other iems measured the same way. I agree with you - some of the aspects of the sound for the tevi also sounded bad, but not nearly as bad as the anker did. There's also a very big chance his pair is flawed or something, so I don't know. thing is, every serious reviewer should do what oluv is doing - trying to let you listen to different phones and his method seems like the best one. only other better option is hearing them directly with your ears, and even then, oluvs method let's you hear the differences, while just hearing the iem by themselves may trick you or make you adapt to the sound.

Have you tried the Momentum True Wireless? He said they were crap too.

L2Ps fell off my radar after the hiss fiasco and mrkwd's review of two units, not to mention the fact that they are priced high here in Canada (except that Lightning deal back in December for 130$)

haven't tried the momentum and I also remember many reviewers thought they were crap, at least for the price. I've heard TWS iems with hiss (TRN T200) but liked the sound very much, especially for being TWS and costing only 30-ish dollars, so it isn't a big dettering factor for me, unless the hiss is VERY obvious

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #20,618 of 62,434
Sennheiser TWS 2 are due to arrive in...April apparently. Earlier than expected it seems. Some details here https://www.lesnumeriques.com/intra...-dans-ses-ecouteurs-100-sans-fil-n148233.html in French
- ANC
- 7 hour battery life without ANC
- Slightly Smaller...they still look huge as in "long", I'd rather see them being large so they can hold better in the ear and isolate better, like the Echobuds
- Battery drain supposedly fixed

f959ceea-momentum-true-wireless-2-sennheiser-met-de-la-reduction-de-bruit-active-dans-ses-ecouteurs-true-wireless__w1280.jpeg

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #20,619 of 62,434
Sennheiser TWS 2 are due to arrive in...April apparently. Earlier than expected it seems. Some details here https://www.lesnumeriques.com/intra...-dans-ses-ecouteurs-100-sans-fil-n148233.html in French
- ANC
- 7 hour battery life without ANC
- Slightly Smaller...they still look huge as in "long", I'd rather see them being large so they can hold better in the ear and isolate better, like the Echobuds
- Battery drain supposedly fixed

f959ceea-momentum-true-wireless-2-sennheiser-met-de-la-reduction-de-bruit-active-dans-ses-ecouteurs-true-wireless__w1280.jpeg
Gamesky just dropped his review on the Tube

Mar 13, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #20,620 of 62,434
Gamesky just dropped his review on the Tube
"original came out 2.5 years ago" ?! Not looking forward to another generally useless review...

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #20,622 of 62,434
Lukewarm "review" on CNET :

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #20,623 of 62,434
Ticpods 2 pro already have APTx HD. Sadly that is not enough to make earphones sound amazing.

I just want to say that I am surprised these days with how good SBC can sound compared to APTx. This codec stuff is more publicity than anything else. That being said AAC seems the most stable of the bunch right now. It even passed the microwave test! APTx sounds like popcorn when the microwave is being used in the same room.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #20,624 of 62,434
The next step in SQ is to equip these things with LDAC
Ticpods 2 pro already have APTx HD. Sadly that is not enough to make earphones sound amazing.

I just want to say that I am surprised these days with how good SBC can sound compared to APTx. This codec stuff is more publicity than anything else. That being said AAC seems the most stable of the bunch right now. It even passed the microwave test! APTx sounds like popcorn when the microwave is being used in the same room.
The advantages of aptX is that you know what you are getting. SBC, on the other hand, can vary depending on implementation.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #20,625 of 62,434
The next step in SQ is to equip these things with LDAC

The advantages of aptX is that you know what you are getting. SBC, on the other hand, can vary depending on implementation.

Yeah, theoretically that is true, but in practice with every single one of my devices in the last 3 or so years, the codec has not been the weak link of the audio chain with true wireless earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back