Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 5, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #20,431 of 62,436
I just wish more TWS had:

Ambient Mode
Button instead of touch
Wireless charging
APTX
Decent Battery
Multi point (I only know of 2 brands that have this feature, Jabra and First Gen M&D)

Very much supporting the actual button vs. touch fields ... kinda funny how YT reviewers tout each as a plus, depending what they review right then ...
Always happy to see AptX, which was not that important for me in the past, since I am on iOS, but since I discovered that 3 of my DAPs do AptX, I am now looking more for that.
Battery is a nice have, but my listening sessions are usually not that long ... but I sure enjoyed the massive battery life of the PowerBeats Pro on a marathon last Sunday, not having to worry to ever run out of music.
I saw on recent Jabra 75 (JRR) review that even there the multi point is kinda wonky. One thing I would love to see in the future is the ability to share BT signal to other buds (and not just among airpod pros)

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #20,432 of 62,436
https://www.linsoul.com/pages/kz-s2
What is wrong with them...
1583450413515.png
Seriously, 20mA? Why does does KZ keep thinking 3 hour battery life is good or enough. Maybe a bit hard to fit a 70 or 80 in a hybrid design but at least fit a 55 in there.
Text should read "with the KZS2 the fun stops after 3h. Enjoy a 20mAh battery while it lasts."

Consistency in those descriptions is never that great ... or they mean 2x20?
KZ_S2_–_linsoul.jpg

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #20,435 of 62,436
Not going to get too ahead of myself, but I've been using the AuSounds Hybrid a little more over the past day or so and my impressions have improved. Sound has smoothed out a bit after about 10 hours of burn in/ use. Maybe the titanium drivers needed some time to warm up. I'm going to keep using them this weekend and see how I feel. The call quality is decent, though it takes like 3-4 seconds to recognize and cut out background noise, which is kinda weird and it's not always consistent so sometimes background noise can get a bit loud for the other end. The actual mic quality is solid though, and if you're in a quiet environment it's great. The ANC doesn't do well with wind-noise, but I feel like a lot of ANC earbuds might struggle with this. On subway it works decently. What they've nailed is the low-profile lightweight form factor, good comfort, and case size/feel. Def not sold yet though - the N6 Pros definitely sound better.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #20,436 of 62,436
AuSounds Hybrid definitely need some EQ to tamp down the 1-2k region

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #20,437 of 62,436
I remember finding the WF1000xm3 on aptx.com and asked about that here a while ago (since every other source said that they can't do aptx)

So, we still don't really know, but rather not?

It is more of a question if Qualcomm would provide/license Sony with the necessary codecs (receiver) for the chip in the WF-1000XM3. It would not be in Qualcomm's best interest to do that, and they'd rather Sony buy Qualcomm's BT chips with aptX support included.

From my investigating, that WF-1000XM3 page on the aptX was online since February 14th. If it was a mistake, it should have been removed but it was up for 2 weeks. The photo from the WF-1000XM3 page is still on Qualcomm's server, so either they didn't delete (likely) it or an update to aptX is still coming. I am hopeful but doubt it. The odd thing is, this happened on Qualcomm's own aptX site, and not some third party site, so why they would put it up without confirming this is puzzling.

Qualcomm has provided the necessary aptX codec for their older walkmans (A30, A40,A50, ZX500), since they all could work with aptX headphones, even though their Bluetooth chips were mediatek based and not from Qualcomm. So I suspect Qualcomm has no issue with providing manufacturers with access to the aptX codec (transmission) since then these products are compatible with headphones using Qualcomm's BT chips with atpX support. There are countless other media players that also support aptX, and I am sure not all of them use Qualcomm's BT chips.

So unless Qualcomm has changed their mind or come to some agreement with Sony regarding aptX support on the WF-1000XM3, I do not think we will see aptX on them. I feel LDAC is more likley (330 option) rather than aptX but I heard that is planned for the successor, WF-1000XM4. Sony could add LDAC at this very moment to the WF-1000XM3 but because battery life would take a big hit, they decided not to include it, since lackluster battery life was one complaint with the first generation WF-1000X and Sony's goal was to fix this.

As for the chip in the WF-1000XM3, it is a Mediatek MT2811, so this is why no baked in aptX support. Quite a few other Sony headsets are on this platform, all of the h.ear on 3 line and WI-1000XM2, with at least 1 or 2 more upcoming truly wireless headsets as well (WF-SP800N, WF-XB700). Sony has dropped aptX support on the account of the new chip, h.ear on 3 and WI-1000XM2 all lack aptx, but do include LDAC.

Mar 6, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #20,438 of 62,436
Wow!!! the custom eq on the liberty air 2 has changed everything, if u find the right setting you can find your HearID x 5. Forget HearID, forget signature sound and their presets, find your sound via the eq. It's like steroids being pumped into the TWS, it's blown anything I have ever used prior, out of the water (ibasso it01 and shure 215s). Here are my settings, I've been able to dial into a setting which is like the piano preset but with more lows and bass and it's incredible. I'm still tinkering, I'm curious what others use for their LP2s.
Screenshot_2020-03-06-08-59-41-275.jpeg

I use Poweramp's eq. Am i missing anything not using this app?

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #20,441 of 62,436
On the topic of the SoundPEATs True Dot now having AptX ... I contacted the seller on AE (“official store”) and this is what they replied to me pointing at the regular True Dot listing ...

B20308C6-BC77-44AB-8EB2-1F53A833E853.jpeg
I still have some reservations though. The listing doesn’t say AptX ... can I dispute showing just the conversation as proof? Do I need another set of TWE? Won’t they sound just like the Haylou GT1 plus? Is the earth really flat?
So many questions ...

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #20,442 of 62,436
What source are you using? I was having the opposite regarding a connection around London.

Currently I am using a LGV40 with my W07 Plus. Almost a week, and not even a momentary blip so far, I am thoroughly impressed by these.

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #20,443 of 62,436
Just downloaded some intel Bluetooth audio driver on my PC so that it supports APTX now, and BOY does it make a difference with the old aptx kz Bluetooth cable connected to the V1 KZ ZS5. to anyone who uses PC as a source for their aptx TWS, try it! you won't regret.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #20,445 of 62,436
On the topic of the SoundPEATs True Dot now having AptX ... I contacted the seller on AE (“official store”) and this is what they replied to me pointing at the regular True Dot listing ...

B20308C6-BC77-44AB-8EB2-1F53A833E853.jpeg
I still have some reservations though. The listing doesn’t say AptX ... can I dispute showing just the conversation as proof? Do I need another set of TWE? Won’t they sound just like the Haylou GT1 plus? Is the earth really flat?
So many questions ...

It seems scarbir.com has the GT1 on his way, I'm sure we'll have a comparison soon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back