Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 26, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #19,231 of 62,970
No, and no type C!
I still can't find a decent replacement for the onyx neo that unfortunately only doesn't understand my player. Everything is either big, expensive, or doesn't have all the features I want, maybe really too soon for me :).
:frowning2:
I have the Tronsmart Spunky Beat. I like them alot, except for the very sensitive touch controls.
Is the Onyx Neo even better than the Spunky Beats?

Jan 26, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #19,232 of 62,970
So between the QCY T5 and the KZ S1, which would you choose for wireless gaming? I was eyeing the razer hammerheads, but it seems silly now to spend 4-5 times the amount now. Are there any other contenders for gaming?

I too was in this dilemma while looking to buy. I decided by comparing specs and graphs between the 2. The T5 has more battery life, they seem to have less complains with connection stability. And the graphs of kz s1 looked a bit treble harsh compared to the qcy t5. I referred to the graph given by thephonograph.net for the kz. Crinacles graph database for the t5.

And so i ended up with the t5 instead of the s1. Also by any chance if you still want to get the kz. The dynamic version (s1d) does not have gaming mode.

The only complain with the t5 one can have is bass amount. But i find after a tip swap with silicone ones. That is resolved as well.

And believe it or not, the t5 actually can keep up in latency with the hammerheads. I notice no humanly perceptible difference while playing games with gaming mode on and a set of wired in ears.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #19,233 of 62,970
I bought the t5 after seeing kenneth tanakas video on them. I he did review the gt1 plus talking about the good sound, but did not give the latency test for them.(yet?)

Very impressive lag result for a $20 TWS! Very cheap. Lowest I recall was Mometum Wireless at around 60 or so. Question is, does this have AptX LL? If not, it proves AptX LL is not required.

d075dfaf720a22d218d9571dda4631a9.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #19,234 of 62,970
wow! I had NO idea the iPhone 7 ‘only’ has BT 4.2. This was my main audio source until last fall.

i think what your are looking for is ‘multipoint’ which is what the QC35 are doing really nicely (coincidentally this is what’s on my ears right now) and they switch pretty seamlessly between my Mac and my iPhone.

I understand that this multipoint is still a bit of a holy grail for TWS, I believe there’s only a few around / in the pipeline. The closest thing you can get IF you are in the Apple ecosystem anyways are the AirPods Pro. You still have to switch manually but it is much much faster than with any other buds ...

Yes, after reading around on it a bit, I think I can confirm that Bluetooth multipoint is the feature I’m looking for. It’s good to know that it is rare in TWS, and that a lot of TWS are a pain to switch between devices. Though I would be okay if the iems only connect to one device at a time (don’t have multipoint) but can switch devices by the click of a button or something (without needing to do anything on the devices themselves).

The driving selling point of TWS iems for me is the possible convenience. My Bose QC30 sound good enough, definitely not better than my Sennheiser 595 or old Brainwavz B2 or Grado RS1. But way more convenient. I am envisioning buying a pair of TWS as another step in the convenience direction at the expense of some SQ. Because of its convenience, I think multipoint in TWS is a huge attraction for me.

So far these are the models that appear to have something like the multipoint feature:

Rowkin Bit Stereo ($110) (pretty bad reviews though)

AirPods mentioned by Caipirina ($250; more than i want to spend...would the Powerbeats Pro have comparable connectivity functionality?)

Jabra Active 65t mentioned by Chinmie ($150; I’m leaning towards these though I think I read somewhere that these are not true stereo—is that true?)

Suzens I9X (looks like knock off AirPods) claim multipoint functionality on their Amazon description ($86)

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #19,235 of 62,970
After my N6 pro crapped out on me, I Decided to take the plunge in the 1more ANC given the statement up thread that that have some form of sweat resistance from sound guys. Interestingly, I can’t seem to find the review anymore. Looks like it was pulled? Weird.

Jan 26, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #19,236 of 62,970
I have the Tronsmart Spunky Beat. I like them alot, except for the very sensitive touch controls.
Is the Onyx Neo even better than the Spunky Beats?
I don't have both, but many say the onyx neo sensor is even worse. Maybe I'll wait for tronsmart to fix the mistakes and then give them one more chance.

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #19,237 of 62,970
First impressions of the bomaker sifi, having got them today, and listening to the cure the head on the door album. I'd say they are bit brighter in the 2k to 4k region than my ceppekky ho1 and quite a bit brighter than my mifo 05. Mids are nice and bass is just OK. Sub bass maybe slightly rolled off when listening to boy harsher but is still there.

Slightly annoyed I can't get my usual extra large tips in such a tiny case, but the smallish large tips seem to fit, as these fit quite deep like the mpow t6/m6. Buttons are slightly hard to press but control scheme is excellent.

They have a nice airy upper treble, I'm wondering if they will become fatiguing after a few hours? Perhaps someone could chime in on this?

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #19,238 of 62,970
There is 1 glaring weakness on mifo07 and it has to be said sadly. If you only listening to jazz, rock, or instrumental in general, it is great and you can get to stupidly loud volume and it will be fine. But once you listen to let say like Lorde, Skrillex, linkin park, etc then the driver will create this cracking sound when the bass drop. It sounds just like a speaker that driven to its limit and the drivers bottomed out. Of course all this need to be listened at mid to high volume. And because mifo 07 doesn't have that bass rumble even compared to t1x (flat EQ), you will definitely pushing those volume button to get that desired bass slam. Other than that, the mifo 07 does sound awesome, even better then t1x in certain genre imho.

absolutely agree that it isn’t for bass heads, but I do enjoy the way it plays the bass. Feels more real/pure. The Klipsch R6i set I have is definitely bass heavy, for instance!

PS. I know you aren’t bashing it! And you are bringing up valid points for sure. Just providing my perspective.

Be sure to update the mifo 07 firmware.
I did it following a Chinese video, as soon as I can I will try to help you (I have my daughter and my wife ill)

About equalization... I decided to keep my oneplus 7t which have equalization stored for all the tws you will connect to it. It's the best feature for our addiction

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #19,239 of 62,970
Be sure to update the mifo 07 firmware.
I did following a Chinese video, as soon as I can I will try to help you (I have my daughter and my wife I'll)

About equalization... I decided to keep my oneplus 7t which have equalizer stored for all the tws you will connect to it. It's the best feature for our addiction

????

I didn’t think about doing that, especially without a native app (silly me), but will see what I can find. That said, yes, if the instructions are only in Chinese I’ll take all the help I can get!!!

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #19,240 of 62,970
????

I didn’t think about doing that, especially without a native app (silly me), but will see what I can find. That said, yes, if the instructions are only in Chinese I’ll take all the help I can get!!!

You have to download it from here

http://www.mifo.hk/appdwon/

Inside the zip you will find 3 folders: one with the apk and 2 with firmware. One for dual driver pair and one for single driver version. Also you will find a video

I did it with another phone following the video and using Google translator in real-time via cam

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #19,241 of 62,970
Very impressive lag result for a $20 TWS! Very cheap. Lowest I recall was Mometum Wireless at around 60 or so. Question is, does this have AptX LL? If not, it proves AptX LL is not required.

Are those measurements with gaming mode engaged, are they on video or games. Because they perform different on games and video (better on video) atleast from kenneths video. And yes it does seem so aptx does not mean faster connection all the time. These use some Taiwanese chip from audiowise, no sign of aptx.

It depends if your source has the latest bluetooth or not as well.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #19,242 of 62,970
Are those measurements with gaming mode engaged, are they on video or games. Because they perform different on games and video (better on video) atleast from kenneths video. And yes it does seem so aptx does not mean faster connection all the time. These use some Taiwanese chip from audiowise, no sign of aptx.

It depends if your source has the latest bluetooth or not as well.
It's from this review. https://www.0db.co.kr/REVIEW_0DB/1101022

Use Google translate and look at section 5. Group Delay

translation:

"This is a Group Delay item that should be included in the Bluetooth product measurement review. This is the item that checks how much delay occurs in each frequency band until a signal is generated and returned to the measurement equipment. It is almost 0ms for wired products. That's why wireline products don't show measurement data, but it's very important to see how well an important antenna design is used in a Bluetooth product and whether you've used a good Bluetooth chip.

Measured at 290 ms. There is no problem in the Android phone, and in case of the iPhone, it is not inconvenient to watch videos, but if you are sensitive, you may feel a slight lag."

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #19,243 of 62,970
It's from this review. https://www.0db.co.kr/REVIEW_0DB/1101022

Use Google translate and look at section 5. Group Delay

translation:

"This is a Group Delay item that should be included in the Bluetooth product measurement review. This is the item that checks how much delay occurs in each frequency band until a signal is generated and returned to the measurement equipment. It is almost 0ms for wired products. That's why wireline products don't show measurement data, but it's very important to see how well an important antenna design is used in a Bluetooth product and whether you've used a good Bluetooth chip.

Measured at 290 ms. There is no problem in the Android phone, and in case of the iPhone, it is not inconvenient to watch videos, but if you are sensitive, you may feel a slight lag."

I bet that figure for the t5 is without the gaming mode on though. Sounds about right for normal mode.

Anyways its not all about latency. Currently im on some silicone tips with a larger bore than usual. These sound so good. Bass is thumping with them on.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #19,244 of 62,970
I bet that figure is without the gaming mode on though. Sounds about right for normal mode.
I don't even know what gaming mode is. I didn't know of it's existence, but sounds like it's for either certain TWS models or a chip feature (you said it's a chip from Taiwanese company).

There's AptX LL, and are there other stuff that don't advertise like Qualcomm? I'm wondering if 0db's delay test is just based on lowest performance possible mode on or not (or just raw performance that does not depend on any mode), or there must be mode on to reduce the group delay further. That's the big question.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #19,245 of 62,970
I don't even know what gaming mode is. I didn't know of it's existence, but sounds like it's for either certain TWS models or a chip feature (you said it's a chip from Taiwanese company).

There's AptX LL, and is there something else? I'm wondering if 0db's delay test is just based on lowest performance possible mode on or not, or there must be mode on to reduce the group delay further. That's the big question.

The gaming mode is a chip feature as advertised by qcy. I turn the mode on by triple tapping on the right earbud. Triple tap again turns it off. Usually the way they get to these latencies is by reducing bitrate. Although i don't specifically know what is going on here with this one. The tradeoff could probably be battery life. I haven't tested mine regarding battery.

Some of the other chifi tws have this low latency mode, even the kz s1 is a tws without aptx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back