Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #18,558 of 62,422
Is there any differences between tronsmart Onyx Neo and Spunky Beat aside from the strap and built in charging cable on the Spunky Beats?

nope nothing. both identical. Tronsmart is a geekbuying brand. best SQ TWE i've heard in the sub $100 category. not sure how they sell it for sub $20 and make a profit. Only 1more stylish manage to beat it.

Jan 14, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #18,559 of 62,422
Is there any differences between tronsmart Onyx Neo and Spunky Beat aside from the strap and built in charging cable on the Spunky Beats?

nope nothing. both identical. Tronsmart is a geekbuying brand. best SQ TWE i've heard in the sub $100 category. not sure how they sell it for sub $20 and make a profit. Only 1more stylish manage to beat it.
Actually they seem to be different. @Bartig and JayceeOoi both said the Spunky Beat is bassier and more fun-sounding while Onyx Neo is brighter-sounding. I haven't tried Spunky Beat but I agree with that assessment about the Onyx Neo.

Unfortunately my unit has more mids on the left and more sibilance on the right. It's not noticeable on most tracks but on some the snares just hit hard on the left (test track: My Leaving by Kenichiro Nishihara). Oddly at higher volumes it seems a bit more balanced.They want me to send it in via Aliexpress before receiving a possible replacement but I'm not sure it's worth the time and shipping cost (took 3 weeks to ship to Canada with a chunk of time consumed by "processing order" and
awaiting dispatched"). I get they may have their own reason for that but other manufacturers I've dealt with have been more willing to send replacements. Don't just tell me "the replacement won't have this problem."

Think I'm a minority. I have SSK and spunky beat. They sound clearer but also thinner to me. At higher volumes they lack power and shrill somewhat. But i understand majority of folks like them. With standard ear tips Mpow M5 appeals more to my ears. Even my brothers think my favourite speakers sound muffled. Meanwhile, T1X is on the way....:)
I have the Onyx Neo. It also has the same issue sounding shrill at high volumes with some distortion. It's especially bad for songs like Nujabes Luv sic 3 (which has a mild vinyl-crackle throughout but there's an unnecessary clipping or rattle that happens with the Onyx Neo).

It's a faulty product, 100% sure. The right bud has almost no bass, and a little lower volume compared to the left.
Unusable.

Now I got a proposal of $10 (paid $29) from SSK on AliExpress. (I opened a dispute)
What to do??!
Sorry to hear, I had the same issue with my Anbes clone. Second time they gave me a BE30 Air with no volume control but had true mono mode. It too had imbalance (left buds has more treble) as with my Onyx Neo, Sabbat E12 Ultra etc. Tuning was totally different as well (less bright and more balanced). I would follow through with the dispute, though you will need to provide convincing proof with your audio recording. I tried doing this with my Sabbat E12 but the seller gave a poor excuse of "give time to burn in" and the Aliexpress mod was like "I can't hear the difference,".

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #18,560 of 62,422
There are definitely bugs with the 700 (see my previous posts on this and the Bose forums) which Bose have still to fix and are irritating, but the QC35 has some of those bugs too. For me, the only reason to buy the 700s is microphone quality and in that respect there is no better BT headphone/IEM/TWS out right now. It is seriously impressive in a noisy environment.

I actually prefer the 700 way of folding over the Sony WH/Bose QC35 way since it is simpler, quicker and ends up with a thinner but larger case that fits my flight bags better.

thanks for the responses. I decided to stick with my APP given the lukewarm reception to the 700s. I’ve owned the QC35 in a past life and thought they were “meh”.

Jan 14, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #18,562 of 62,422
Now seeing that even some 50 usd chifi TWS like this BQC35 (which by the way I've just tested for motorcycle riding, and it performed awesomely) can deliver good ANC is a good news for us as the consumers. I remember the older days when ANC would have those effect like someone's put a vacuum to my ears and sucked the air out...no matter how good the ANC effect, it's just not worth the inconvenience. Nowadays even this cheaper TWS don't produce that effect.
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how would you compare the ANC between the BQC35 and the sony WF-1000xm3? I've tried out the Sonys and while the ANC is noticeable, it's not quite worth the asking price imo, so was wondering how the chifi one fares.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #18,563 of 62,422
Sorry to hear, I had the same issue with my Anbes clone. Second time they gave me a BE30 Air with no volume control but had true mono mode. It too had imbalance (left buds has more treble) as with my Onyx Neo, Sabbat E12 Ultra etc. Tuning was totally different as well (less bright and more balanced). I would follow through with the dispute, though you will need to provide convincing proof with your audio recording. I tried doing this with my Sabbat E12 but the seller gave a poor excuse of "give time to burn in" and the Aliexpress mod was like "I can't hear the difference,".

I got this answer today:
"You know that the picture evidence you provided doesn't mean anything,We think you might not like our products,so i thought you would accept the offer of a partial refund."

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #18,564 of 62,422
I got this answer today:
"You know that the picture evidence you provided doesn't mean anything,We think you might not like our products,so i thought you would accept the offer of a partial refund."
FYI, this is the answer from SSK customer support, when I opened a dispute on AliExpress because I have no bass and an inbalance in volume on the right bud of the BT03. Got that reply after I rejected a $10 partial refund.
Wow, this is bad customer service. They are actually blaming me for "faking" a dispute because I don't like their product...

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #18,565 of 62,422
FYI, this is the answer from SSK customer support, when I opened a dispute on AliExpress because I have no bass and an inbalance in volume on the right bud of the BT03. Got that reply after I rejected a $10 partial refund.
Wow, this is bad customer service. They are actually blaming me for "faking" a dispute because I don't like their product...

I suppose the answer to this has to be to never buy from them again and actively discourage others from doing so. I certainly wouldn't buy anything from that bunch of crooks.

Much as I don't really like Amazon's market dominance, you really can't fault their returns policy.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #18,566 of 62,422
I agree with peddler. i've been hesitant to buy from AE just not being familiar with them but mor than that, anything i might have purchased from them i've been able to find on Amazon U.S. Despite their dominance it's hard not to use them because of easy returns etc. And, now i'm not to disapointed i missed out on the BT03 after reading about your experience. what's the name of the seller just in case they use the same name on Amazon, geekbuying etc?

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #18,567 of 62,422

Unfortunately it is quite common practice on Aliexpress. There are good sellers but also some with very bad customer service.

For example i ordered 2 glass screen protectors for my iPhone X (5.8 inch). They sent me 2 for the iPhone XR (6.1 inch). I contact the seller saying they made a mistake and how do we solve this ? I provide the seller pictures of the product clearly stating “for iphone XR” and the outer packaging with the trackingcode readable (which can be related to the order i made) and i got a reply that it was not their product ??? Talk about knowing your own products.

Then i made another picture with the paper box of the product which has their brand name on it and the seller was quiet for a while. After that i got told just try it on your phone. Some screen protectors are universal. So i had to sent another picture placing the screen protector on top of my phone to show them that a screen protector for a 6.1 inch phone does not fit on a 5.8 inch phone ....

After that i got a reply that they are willing to refund me. The first thing i told them was no Paypal and do i have to start dispute for the refund ? Again quiet for a while. Then i got unpatient and just started dispute with enough proof. Luckily Aliexpress sided with me as it was clear it was a fault. On audio products ofcourse it is hard to proof the malfunctioning. Especially when it comes to sound.

Jan 14, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #18,568 of 62,422
I agree with peddler. i've been hesitant to buy from AE just not being familiar with them but mor than that, anything i might have purchased from them i've been able to find on Amazon U.S. Despite their dominance it's hard not to use them because of easy returns etc. And, now i'm not to disapointed i missed out on the BT03 after reading about your experience. what's the name of the seller just in case they use the same name on Amazon, geekbuying etc?
SSK Official Store

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #18,569 of 62,422
@chinmie , I was wondering if you could compare the Dyplay ANC-TWS to the Sony WF-1000MX3.

I've been holding off getting an upgrade on my Nuarls because I want ANC and when the Sony's go on special they are just 50-60$ more than it would cost me to upgrade my set. I also saw that Dyplay released a smaller looking ANC TWS set called the ANC-Shield that seem to have a really nice form factor and smaller case than the monster Sony case, but how does the sound and ANC compare (probably not fair...)

Also, do your Dyplay have ambient mode? Ambient mode well implemented is something I really need for office and home use when the kids and wife are there. The Freebuds 3 also look really interesting but the price is free-falling from the release price and open buds with ANC is something I am not sure would work well.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #18,570 of 62,422
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how would you compare the ANC between the BQC35 and the sony WF-1000xm3? I've tried out the Sonys and while the ANC is noticeable, it's not quite worth the asking price imo, so was wondering how the chifi one fares.

@chinmie , I was wondering if you could compare the Dyplay ANC-TWS to the Sony WF-1000MX3.

I've been holding off getting an upgrade on my Nuarls because I want ANC and when the Sony's go on special they are just 50-60$ more than it would cost me to upgrade my set. I also saw that Dyplay released a smaller looking ANC TWS set called the ANC-Shield that seem to have a really nice form factor and smaller case than the monster Sony case, but how does the sound and ANC compare (probably not fair...)

Also, do your Dyplay have ambient mode? Ambient mode well implemented is something I really need for office and home use when the kids and wife are there. The Freebuds 3 also look really interesting but the price is free-falling from the release price and open buds with ANC is something I am not sure would work well.

i did a little comparison between both of them a few pages back

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...e-we-there-yet.861024/page-1225#post-15408072

for me, both the XM3 and BQC35 worth their price. i use the BQC35 for gym use, running, and motorcycle rides.. well, basically for more "beater ANC" uses, while the XM3 for travelling and mostly indoor listening. what we paid more on the XM3 are for better sound, ANC, and app support, but the BQC35 also edges out the XM3 for better fit.

so in short, @jfvny the BQC35 for me personally worth their price indeed

@RobinFood unfortunately it doesn't have ambient mode, although because the passive noise blocking is not too good compared to the XM3 (I'd say it's on par to the Nillkin Go) so with ANC off it kinda do "semi ambient" mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back