Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 9, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #15,181 of 62,171
It's my trusty main Android, the Lenovo P2. I suppose I could try with my "spare" Android, the Nokia 8, but it's Bluetooth and not wired so there's no reason for it to be any different.

I find it hard to believe that you don't hear a difference between the unequalized Echo Buds and the T5, there's really no comparison for me, heck I even tried the same tips (Jabra Sport Elite silicone L) to double check. Where the T5s have this deep warm sound with plentiful sub bass, the Echo Buds have this thin airy "AM like" sound, "sharper" ("analytical" in propeller head linguo ?) I'll admit, but really not very enjoyable, with bass pushed to the max it helps, so let's see if I get used to it :wink:

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #15,182 of 62,171
I'm curious what device you're playing music from? Thin and shrill are not my experience at all with these. Bass is comparable to my Mpow T5 with tips better than the stock ones in the box, and the mids and highs are great sounding. Not saying I don't believe you, but just curious if it could be a difference in audio chipsets or just anatomical?
Do you guys notice different devices effects either the signature or SQ of the TW? Like for example, iPhone vs Android phones with Airpods Pro.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #15,183 of 62,171
Sooo, I have played with the APPs a little more, and I found out that Apple must think that everybody have a fit like this:

Because if you get a good fit like this, (it's even a little bit "snugger" in my ears)

you have to sit still when listening to music with ANC on... It's the same with phone calls.
With the ANC on, and with the APPs snugly fit, the sound changes when moving/walking/moving the mouth etc.
It's so annoying. When moving, the treble sounds like a MP3 file with 56kbps quality (if you know what I mean, it kind of "fluctuates" (can't explain it better))
This was also what was causing the distortion when I am on the phone too.
I guess it's the ANC mic(s) that touch the skin/ear in some way, making the sound change/distortion with phone calls?
ANC off removes all these problems.

hmm i haven’t experienced this yet buy i haven’t worked out in them yet as well. I guess I could get those issues when I run. I have a snug fit. Stem touches my cheek when put in where I prefer. I have noticed no issues with ANC on but makes me wonder. Most of my listening has been at my desk so far. I’m flying cross country Monday and will be using them walking thru the airport so I will get a better idea then. Interesting.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #15,184 of 62,171
hmm i haven’t experienced this yet buy i haven’t worked out in them yet as well. I guess I could get those issues when I run. I have a snug fit. Stem touches my cheek when put in where I prefer. I have noticed no issues with ANC on but makes me wonder. Most of my listening has been at my desk so far. I’m flying cross country Monday and will be using them walking thru the airport so I will get a better idea then. Interesting.
I don't have such issue when I'm jogging as it keeps in place pretty good, but it does shift slightly over time, and have to push it back into place. Some of the noise in the high frequencies are not effectively isolated by seal or reduced by ANC, and most significant noise is from my body's conduction of noise to the ear from impact of the foot.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #15,185 of 62,171
It's easy to test. Insert them, and put on some music. Then move /open your mouth, and feel free to exaggerate a bit with the movements.
Test with/without ANC.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #15,186 of 62,171
This is what i did to get better bass response on APPs. The foam from Mandarine tips fits nicely inside of the APP tip.
IMG_0851.JPG

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #15,187 of 62,171
This is what i did to get better bass response on APPs. The foam from Mandarine tips fits nicely inside of the APP tip.
I wonder if there are any other way to get similar foam that fits inside besides resorting to Symbio? I know those foam do contribute to the way bass responding in a harder hit or impact? Is that what happens with the foam?

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #15,188 of 62,171
IMG_3978.JPG
Tried it as well. Did just have a large Mandarine/Symbio I would sacrifce, so could maybe get a better fit with the filling of a medium. Not sure if it gave me any positives compared to just using the standard tip (without the filling)
The sound change with movement didn't change at all after the mod.. (as mentioned in my recent posts)

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #15,189 of 62,171
It's my trusty main Android, the Lenovo P2. I suppose I could try with my "spare" Android, the Nokia 8, but it's Bluetooth and not wired so there's no reason for it to be any different.

I find it hard to believe that you don't hear a difference between the unequalized Echo Buds and the T5, there's really no comparison for me, heck I even tried the same tips (Jabra Sport Elite silicone L) to double check. Where the T5s have this deep warm sound with plentiful sub bass, the Echo Buds have this thin airy "AM like" sound, "sharper" ("analytical" in propeller head linguo ?) I'll admit, but really not very enjoyable, with bass pushed to the max it helps, so let's see if I get used to it :wink:
I haven't done any EQing on my Echo Buds. Mine have plenty of bass thump and nice clear mids and highs. I don't know what to tell you. AM quality is pretty far from how mine sound. I'm using a Galaxy S9+ btw.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #15,190 of 62,171
Anyone else notice the SSK box says V4.2 Bluetooth right under the number 5? So they're not BT 5?

I was wondering what the difference is between the bt03 and the bt08 (black). On AliExpress it says the bt03 has v5 and the bt08 has v4.2, but when I asked the store they told me the following:

“Hi Dear, they are generally the same. But the design scheme is not. And BT08 has 380mAh charging bin design, up to 10 hours of continuous playback; while BT03 has 500mAh charging bin design, up to 18 hours of continuous playback”

So yeah it remains confusing. Can anyone else weigh in on the difference between the bt03 and bt08 and whether these things have v5 or not?

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #15,191 of 62,171
Yeah this is just a weird review and I disagree with most of it. The sound on these is fantastic, definitely would not describe it as analytical. If anything they are warm and have great dynamic range for TWS, allowing for great emotional depth. I also found them absolutely excellent for phone calls.
I agreed, I need to EQ the Sony to a warmer sound to match MW07, these are no way analytical. No siblance either.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #15,192 of 62,171
Bass: The bass on the Airpods Pro is actually not bad at all. It's not super powerful, but extends very low with a bit of roll off that only occurs near the absolute bottom of the frequency range. The low-bass is also not too sloppy, has very little distortion, and is on the tighter side of things, though it sometimes lacks that "epic" feel - it does not always provide that enveloping experience that some TWS like the E12 Ultra, MW07+, Sennheiser MTW, and even MPOW T5 can provide.

Since you’re apparently familiar with both the E12 Ultra and the T5, can I ask your opinion on how they compare? Others are welcome to weigh in as well of course.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #15,193 of 62,171
So my Echo Buds arrived and hum...I'm surprised, well disappointed actually, let's see :
- fit is good, I like bigger earbuds that can "sit" in the ear (like the 65Ts, Havit G1s) and have several contact points to prevent them from moving around and losing the seal (like the Anbes 359). The largest tips are too small though but thanks to @rhsauer's feedback I grabbed the L Jabra Elite Sport tips and that takes care of the problem
- pairing with the app is ok and it's nice to have Alexa handy on top of Google Assistant, no button to press and you can ask for volume up/down
- the sound, well it's "thin", out of the box, it's very thin and "shrill", these are my first BA only earbuds (my TRN V80 have BA+DD) and I'm not used to that. By pushing up the bass in the EQ and playing with the mids I managed to get something a little bit more pleasing but, well I need to get used to it . Out of the box they are worlds away from say the APPs or the XM3s or the T5s in terms of offering a "pleasing" sound.
- The ANR, wow, it's very, very mild, think Sony WF-1000x mild ! Based on the reviews saying it was a "smidge" below the APP's ANC I really wasn't expecting that. The choice of the ANR wording (and Bose claiming theirs would be a lot better in terms of ANC) makes sense now. I'm not sure what these "reviewers" are thinking though...It's not even like the passive isolation is that good either so overall the noise isolation is poor, no better than what you get with a 65t or T5. When blasting YT "cabin noise" listening to music is NOT a pleasant experience, it's miles away from what the APP offers, which is way closer than what you get from a QC25/WH1000.
Yep, this is disappointing :frowning2:

If you think the sound is thin and the ANC is too mild, I'm wondering if you're actually getting a good seal (even though you're using the tips I recommended). Did you run the ear tip test in the Alexa app? I find the sound really nice with more than sufficient bass, and that the ANC is very helpful on the subway. Here's another tip recommendation: If you have the Soundcore Liberty 2 (or Liberty 2 Pros) try the largest tip with the red stem that comes with those headphones. They actually fit in the case, and really seal (at least in my ears). The Echo Buds definitely should have allowed more room for tips in the case -- not many tips fit in a way that allows the buds to charge, and the supplied tips are too small for many ears.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #15,194 of 62,171
If you think the sound is thin and the ANC is too mild, I'm wondering if you're actually getting a good seal (notwithstanding that you're using the tips I recommended). Did you run the ear tip test to see? I find the sound really nice with sufficient bass, and that the ANC is adequate for the subway. Here's another tip recommendation: if you have the Soundcore Liberty 2 (or Liberty 2 Pros) try the largest tip with the red stem that comes with those headphones. They actually fit in the case, and really seal (at least in my ears). The Echo Buds should have allowed more room for tips in the case -- not many tips fit in a way that allows the buds to charge.
I actually found a pair of standard "spherical" type tips that fit in the case. I THINK they were the stock tips that came with my Tranya B530, but I'm not certain on that. Much more comfortable than the more conical shaped tips the EBs shipped with.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #15,195 of 62,171
Do you guys notice different devices effects either the signature or SQ of the TW? Like for example, iPhone vs Android phones with Airpods Pro.
The only possible difference are the encoders. So apple has the best AAC encoder, but Android's solution might be 2nd place still. And "possibly" better encoders comparing very old and new Android devices.
Apart from that, as long the reception is good, there is no other variable which could make a difference

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back