Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 31, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #14,582 of 62,458
I paired the APPs with my Win10 laptop and it works OK...but only in "Noise Control Off" mode, with ANC or Ambient ON I get some weird and painful "pops" in the right ear. Could be my laptop of course. I'm also finding the volume a tad low, just ok at max.

EDIT - ok, put them back in the box and now that "popping" noise is gone. I can also switch on the fly from my computer to my android even a track is playing. The laptop will take the connection back though after a couple of seconds even if no music is playing.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #14,583 of 62,458
FWIW, the DAC on the V40 is a huuge step up from the one on the V30, then again, i liked what i heard from the V20 better than from the v30. But the V40 is hands down the best of the 3 imo. Way mor volume control, and over all power
Yeah, I was giving budget options since it would cost a pretty penny to go with the iPhone 11 Pro, even after the Note 10 trade in. Also, I haven't gone wired in a looong time, so it would make more sense to save get a cheaper phone with all the needed codecs AND a new pair of TWS'. :wink:

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #14,584 of 62,458
I have asked them specifically the same and hopefully we will have a positive answer. I will update this thread after I get a response.
Without an estimated timeline, it's hard to know if there's actually something in the works right now or if they plan, on making a plan, to implement.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #14,585 of 62,458
For those considering AP Pro on Android, mine worked perfectly. As a bonus, my garmin watch controlled the volume. I suspect any similar smart watch will do the same. So, while the Apple software tricks are fun and cool, I'm not sure they really affect functionality. There is no access to the ear tip test but I'll grab my wife's iphone for that. I do want to compare SQ between the ios and android over apple music but haven't had a chance yet.
I'd also be curious if battery life is better connected to an iPhone vs. Android (different AAC engine). Per notes in the release, Apple gave some of the best specifics for battery test I've seen.

upload_2019-10-31_9-40-51.png

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #14,586 of 62,458
Just watched the video by Flossy Carter and he still likes the power beats over the Pod pros. I personally cant stand the look of either and Im really enjoying the Power beats pro. He also mentioned that the Sony noise cancelling is far better than the Apple Pod Pros. Im still amazed that some of the people here cant really see the difference with the Sony Noise NC, I think its night and day difference. I have a bathroom fan that is really loud (I bought it this way for extreme exhausting if you know what I mean) and tried with the NC off than on with no music playing and its significant. My expectations are not that high as this is an IEM and can not be compared to a headphone, I also need to mention I have Spinfits on my Sonys.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #14,587 of 62,458
Just watched the video by Flossy Carter and he still likes the power beats over the Pod pros. I personally cant stand the look of either and Im really enjoying the Power beats pro. He also mentioned that the Sony noise cancelling is far better than the Apple Pod Pros. Im still amazed that some of the people here cant really see the difference with the Sony Noise NC, I think its night and day difference. I have a bathroom fan that is really loud (I bought it this way for extreme exhausting if you know what I mean) and tried with the NC off than on with no music playing and its significant. My expectations are not that high as this is an IEM and can not be compared to a headphone, I also need to mention I have Spinfits on my Sonys.

I find his reviews entertaining. He listens to everything at, literally, max volume, so take impressions with a grain of salt. I rarely ever go above 40%.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #14,588 of 62,458
@howdy "I think its night and day difference" - between what and what as it doesn't seem you have the APPs ? A fan with ANC on/off with the XM3 ? Sure there's going to be a big difference, like with ANC device that's worth it's salt :wink:

I'm not sure how this guys can say that "Sony noise cancelling is far better than the Apple Pod Pros" ! I detailed my "ANC testing" process above and the APPs do nearly as well as the QC25 (which are close to being best in class). The WF-1000Xm3s, Track AIR+ and QC20s I had where further behind the QC25, not sure what else to say.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #14,589 of 62,458

You’re not wrong, the Sony’s have better noise canceling. Transparency goes to the pros though. Love that you can hear your own voice.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #14,590 of 62,458
Oct 31, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #14,591 of 62,458
@howdy "I think its night and day difference" - between what and what as it doesn't seem you have the APPs ? A fan with ANC on/off with the XM3 ? Sure there's going to be a big difference, like with ANC device that's worth it's salt :wink:

I'm not sure how this guys can say that "Sony noise cancelling is far better than the Apple Pod Pros" ! I detailed my "ANC testing" process above and the APPs do nearly as well as the QC25 (which are close to being best in class). The WF-1000Xm3s, Track AIR+ and QC20s I had where further behind the QC25, not sure what else to say.
I wouldn’t say it’s night and day, but with my own test I did in my shop, the Sony’s were a clear winner. For me, I think they are good enough, but noise canceling isn’t as important to me as it is to other people.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #14,592 of 62,458
Yeah, I was giving budget options since it would cost a pretty penny to go with the iPhone 11 Pro, even after the Note 10 trade in. Also, I haven't gone wired in a looong time, so it would make more sense to save get a cheaper phone with all the needed codecs AND a new pair of TWS'. :wink:

It's not a bad idea particularly since the LG offers AptxHD which Samsung inexplicably does not. After doing the math, I am sticking with Android. A trade of my used Note 10+ to an IPhone 11 pro max (of course I couldn't bring myself to purchase any other model), is still costing me $500 and the Apple ecosystem isn't worth that much to me. I prefer the Samsung hardware too.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #14,593 of 62,458
I wouldn’t say it’s night and day, but with my own test I did in my shop, the Sony’s were a clear winner. For me, I think they are good enough, but noise canceling isn’t as important to me as it is to other people.

Interesting. I don't have the Sony's anymore but my immediate reaction was the Apple had stronger NC. May have been a fit issue. I did not like how the Sony's fit.

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #14,595 of 62,458
not sure if theres much of a difference between the Mi mix 2 and 2S, but on the 2S yes. I tried them with my PSB M4U TW1 forever ago when i owned those, they sounded very full is the first word that comes to mind. nothing held back. i paired the ofusho f16 to them, wasn't worse than they sound on the v40, though i did remove the fin on them and a little of the outter plastic and they fit pretty great now and are my showerbuds now lol. Also the plantronics backbeat pro 5100 got loudest while paired to the mi mix 2S, and that thumping bass rattled my head. This phone is definitely not for everyone. That is to say, miui is not for everyone. but it is really customizable which is nice. Those are the only TWS i've paired with this phone as of yet. Forgot to add that yeah, not even gonna try wired anything with this phone. A i think it will be terrible, and B i don't want anything dongling from my phone.
Thanks for the feedback on this. I'd only be using the phone for music, mostly BT, so I honestly don't really care about the other functionalities. I"m eyeing the V30, V40's Under $200 is a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back