Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 9, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #10,411 of 62,306
I wish Bose would get those anc soundsport free models out and take my money.
Agreed. After the lackluster feedback on the WF-1000XM3, the new Bose ANC 700 Earbuds (or whatever they're called) are my next major buy. For now, content sifting thru Chi-Fi offerings for gems.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #10,412 of 62,306
Got a link to those for me? Preferably AliExpress. I thought I was done buying stuff, but I guess I could be convinced if they're a significant upgrade from the stock tips :wink:

here you go

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808506339.html

i usually remove the inner rib by snipping it with scissors so it would fit better in my ears. it's one of my favorite wide bore tips

o yeah, you could custom order for the size and colors, for instance, i order all in L size and specify how many black, white, and red pair i want, or you could also request all in the same color

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #10,413 of 62,306
Agreed. After the lackluster feedback on the WF-1000XM3, the new Bose ANC 700 Earbuds (or whatever they're called) are my next major buy. For now, content sifting thru Chi-Fi offerings for gems.
I am completely confident Bose will knock it out of the park. I agree Bose can be overrated at times but this should be where they excel.

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #10,414 of 62,306
I am completely confident Bose will knock it out of the park. I agree Bose can be overrated at times but this should be where they excel.
The SSF are still some of the better sounding TWS' out there. The only issues I have are connection distance and lack of isolation (even though I know going in they were designed that way).

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #10,415 of 62,306
Further impressions on the T1 are very positive provided sq is your primary interest. These thing sound sweet with excellent clarity and separation. They can get a little congested at times with complicated passages which may have something to do with the bitrate issue. But when things are going well, they sound “wired” to me. You can’t get this kind of sound from a single driver. If they can iron out the compression and volume they are going to have a clear winner on their hands. For now if you want sq approaching the big boys like nuarl, M&D and senns but are on a budget, these are worth it. They also happen to be very comfortable and lightweight. They stay put very well.

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #10,417 of 62,306
Well, don't get me wrong, I had been using the QCY QS1 for cycling and absolutely loved them. They fit flush in the ear so they're comfortable with helmets, there is virtually zero wind noise (which is horrible on many earphones due to the wind catching certain edges of the shell), and the wireless freedom is something I've been waiting decades for. I had no problems with sweat or the occasional rain storm, although I have no clue what their IPX rating is.

My personal reason for switching to the Soundwear is because I value my life much more than other people apparently value my life. I need 100% open situational awareness when cycling on an open road, and I'm willing to trade great sound quality for it. There's just too many crazies out there. I do still use the QCY QS1 for cycling on closed paths (not 1 ear but both ears).

Speaking of which, like you indicated, I did the 1 ear thing while cycling for a long time (going all the way back to Walkman and Discman days). Sadly (and I have no way to prove this), I am convinced that's why I have mild hearing loss in 1 ear moreso than in my other ear.

Anyways, I'll be curious what TW you decide on and how it works out for you while cycling. Keep us posted :)

The Soundwear looks very interesting, especially for late night TV. I may need to check that out, especially at current prices. I have had some older Bose wired earphones over the years and use one in the office to watch stuff on my work pc but have never been able to get a secure fit with them (probably the shape of my ears). I have also never been a big fan of their sound profile (last pair I bought was because I needed headphones to listen to a Webex and I left my IEMs at home). This new tech does intrigue me though

For cycling, I probably will stick with the in ear path and do one ear. I've always done one ear, even when using my wired IEMs and now my MTWs as I like to be aware of my surroundings as I weave through the crowds in NYC.

I did stop by the Harman store today and they had the Reflect Flow in store. I tried a demo unit and wasn't blown away by the sound but it was very comfortable and even if it has half the advertised battery life (10 hours, 30 total with case) I will be happy. It is also IPX7 and pairing was excellent (paired to my phone and had no problem reconnecting left earbud after i tried going from 2 ears --> 1 ear --> back to 2). To be fair, the tips were not the right size for me on the demo unit (they sterilized for me) so I did not have a good seal and someone else was playing with one of their towers. Even without the right tips, it felt more secure and comfortable to me than the MTWs. The other cons are no volume control, no aptX, no app/EQ, the case didn't seem too sturdy (kind of like the Senns) and I think they are Micro USB but these will probably stay in my trunk bag with my other cycling toys so I think I can live with that (for now) for my intended use case. They handed me a 10% off coupon as I walked in so at $135 + a free pair of Yankee tickets, I am tempted and may give them a shot.

I pulled my back last night so I will probably wait a few weeks so I can take advantage of their 30 day return period but will report back if I do get them

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #10,418 of 62,306
Aug 10, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #10,419 of 62,306
I just want to love the KZ T1 so, so much. But I can’t. It’s sound quality only. :frowning2:

OMG, it never occurred to me that Mifo stands for 'make it fully optimal' ... thanks for opening my eyes!

I need to double check on that volume step issue that so many others are reporting ... I have the same ONLY when I control from the bud... when I control from iPhone 7 Plus, I get all the steps I need ... will double check (checked, and I get it now, only every 3rd click on phone volume button actually changes volume .. )

Thanks for the awesome (as usual) review

Oh, and may I ask where you got the IPX4 from? I could not find any indication of any kind of water / sweat proofing.

Still loving that SQ though

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #10,420 of 62,306
here you go

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808506339.html

i usually remove the inner rib by snipping it with scissors so it would fit better in my ears. it's one of my favorite wide bore tips

o yeah, you could custom order for the size and colors, for instance, i order all in L size and specify how many black, white, and red pair i want, or you could also request all in the same color

Thanks. So is 4mm the correct eartip size to fit the Nillkin Go? I couldn't find it in the spec sheet.

Aug 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #10,421 of 62,306
I've been loving the Nuarl NT01AX's sound for the past few days, but I've found that the Bluetooth connection to my Pixel 3 XL has been less than stellar. The range isn't very good compared to my Air-X, and even when sitting directly in front of me on my desk I'll experience occasional skips or dropouts. They happen often enough to be frustrating, although they're not frequent either. In any case, I'll probably end up returning these as these are the first TW IEMs with Bluetooth 5 that I've had this issue.

FWIW, I found the Spinfit CP100z tips fit great on the Nuarl and provide the best sound. I was able to get some Comply foam tips to work, but they made the sound far too bassy and muddy.

It's a shame about the connection issues. The Nuarl really do sound nice to the point where I prefer them to the Mavin Air-X.
Yeah, Nuarl are not good at connection. Though I found that if I open the lid of the charging case, wait for "connected" voice comes up and then take them out of the charging case, most of the connection issues can be solved. Still there are times that one side of buds (seems to be the slave side) goes to silence abruptly.
Also I never have problems when paired them with my BT transmitter with AptX codec, while my phone (LG V30) defaults at AAC. Wondering if this also matters.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #10,422 of 62,306
Talking about Bose, has anyone tried the Bose BT sunglasses?
They had them on display at best buy. Very interesting experience because it's like not having anything inside or around your ears, but hearing stuff and thinking the sound is part of he environment due to this. I would rather get a good set of sunglasses (of personal taste) and a quality iem. The practicality of it is an issue. The obvious hurdle is that your ears are open to noise around you. If try hard enough, you can maybe think of a usage scenario for these?...

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #10,423 of 62,306
WFXM3 lowered my expectations of Sony, but after trying out QC20, I have high expectation of Bose's ANC capability for iems. I'm afraid their ANC true wireless will be bulky. Let's hope they can shrink it down. I get a feeling Sony made compromise to their ANC to reduce bulk and increase battery life.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #10,424 of 62,306
WFXM3 lowered my expectations of Sony, but after trying out QC20, I have high expectation of Bose's ANC capability for iems. I'm afraid their ANC true wireless will be bulky. Let's hope they can shrink it down. I get a feeling Sony made compromise to their ANC to reduce bulk and increase battery life.
I'm not a research engineer, but I would imaging sticking with a 6mm driver will inherently affect the "oomph" the ANC can produce, versus using a 10mm driver. Obviously battery life would be an issue, meaning you'd have to use a higher density battery in order to maintain the size, although it'd be a bit heavier and cost more. They had a target and could only include so much to hit that target whilst still maintaining margins.

That's one area where I think Bose will swing for the fences. They have a loyal following, great name recognition with the masses, and the ANC experience to make magic happen. It's possible the delay is not just production related, but also some testing to iron out any kinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back