Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 20, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #7,006 of 62,440
Thieves suck. Hopefully they can’t figure out how to pair them. Or they choke on them. Or both.
basicly similar sentiments that i hd lol.

May 21, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #7,007 of 62,440
I have to say I am impressed with the Syllable s101 - For the price they are a real gem. I also have the Earin M2 and MTW and they are definately not 10 times the earphone!

Sound is decent with AptX, I've not had any connectivity issues so far, case is small and pocketable, comfort is good, battery seems good. Very impressed

May 21, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #7,008 of 62,440
Also got the s101, did a quick test against the mavins. Luckily the mavins sound better to me...but the price difference.

The mavins sound wider and sharper and cleaner (more detailed). The s101 is a little boomy and vocals sounds a little closed with example like Bremnes. But the example I noticed best was with Nothing Compares 2U, at a little high volume the s101 was piercing (whatever the term is) and had to turn down the volume to stand it, no such thing with the mavins.

But the s101 sounds good after a quick test. Connection worked outside, but the hiby r3 has weak signal so worked best in shirt pockets.

Also the charging case and buds have no issues with different tips, unlike say my jabra 65.

If these lasts they are a bargain at 30$, compared to 30$ ones from last year. Dont have to baby them like the more expensive tws.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #7,011 of 62,440
Also got the s101, did a quick test against the mavins. Luckily the mavins sound better to me...but the price difference.

The mavins sound wider and sharper and cleaner (more detailed). The s101 is a little boomy and vocals sounds a little closed with example like Bremnes. But the example I noticed best was with Nothing Compares 2U, at a little high volume the s101 was piercing (whatever the term is) and had to turn down the volume to stand it, no such thing with the mavins.

But the s101 sounds good after a quick test. Connection worked outside, but the hiby r3 has weak signal so worked best in shirt pockets.

Also the charging case and buds have no issues with different tips, unlike say my jabra 65.

If these lasts they are a bargain at 30$, compared to 30$ ones from last year. Dont have to baby them like the more expensive tws.

Coincidentally, I spent some time listening to the S101s and the Mavin’s just yesterday and came to the opposite conclusion. Give the S101s some time to burn it — it really seemed to make a difference to me. Also, I can’t get quite as good a fit with the Mavins.

May 21, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #7,013 of 62,440
Coincidentally, I spent some time listening to the S101s and the Mavin’s just yesterday and came to the opposite conclusion. Give the S101s some time to burn it — it really seemed to make a difference to me. Also, I can’t get quite as good a fit with the Mavins.

Found another difference, these does not seem to have the qualcomm feature like mavins. That both left and right connects to device, and its idependent if left or right is the master. Im not into that burn in thing, but hopefully these does not fail fast.
Easier to use a 30$ device sweating in the sun, than a 140 one like the mavin.

May 21, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #7,014 of 62,440
Found another difference, these does not seem to have the qualcomm feature like mavins. That both left and right connects to device, and its idependent if left or right is the master. Im not into that burn in thing, but hopefully these does not fail fast.
Easier to use a 30$ device sweating in the sun, than a 140 one like the mavin.

My facts could be wrong (or out of date at this point), but I believe the Qualcomm “true wireless stereo plus” feature of the QCC3026 chip (used by the Mavin) requires an updated Qualcomm 845 chip — and I think few if any phones currently have that updated chip (and iPhones are unlikely to ever have it). If that’s correct, the Mavins will function now (and, for most current devices, forever) just like the S101s — one side will be the “master,” rather than each side connecting independently. I invite all you wireless mavins (with a lowercase “m”) to correct me, please, if that’s not the case.

I certainly agree that if you’re going to wear them sweating in the sun this summer, you should probably use the cheaper device (with a higher IP rating).

May 21, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #7,015 of 62,440
My facts could be wrong (or out of date at this point), but I believe the Qualcomm “true wireless stereo plus” feature of the QCC3026 chip (used by the Mavin) requires an updated Qualcomm 845 chip — and I think few if any phones currently have that updated chip (and iPhones are unlikely to ever have it). If that’s correct, the Mavins will function now (and, for most current devices, forever) just like the S101s — one side will be the “master,” rather than each side connecting independently. I invite all you wireless mavins (with a lowercase “m”) to correct me, please, if that’s not the case.

I certainly agree that if you’re going to wear them sweating in the sun this summer, you should probably use the cheaper device (with a higher IP rating).

Yes, that true wireless plus I have not seen working anywhere. I have a phone with 845, and tested lot of different ones with the same.

The feature mavin has is that either left or right can be master, depending what connects first. The s101 seems to be only right as master

May 21, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #7,016 of 62,440
Yes, that true wireless plus I have not seen working anywhere. I have a phone with 845, and tested lot of different ones with the same.

The feature mavin has is that either left or right can be master, depending what connects first. The s101 seems to be only right as master

You’re right. I was just listening to the S101s and pulled out the right earphone and put it in the case. The left earphone immediately disconnected and said “pairing.” I then paired the left earphone to my iPhone and the left earphone began playing (while the right earphone was still in the case, and off). When I then pulled the right earphone out of the case, the left earphone immediately disconnected, the right earphone connected, and then both earphones began to play. So each earphone can play independently, but if you are using both earphones the right will apparently serve as master. What’s the practical implication of this, if any? Is it a limitation or a feature? I can’t decide.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #7,020 of 62,440
Well I just received my three pairs of Tiso i4 a couple days and 2 out of the 3 have issues. First pair has very little low end and heavy driver flex in one ear. None of the other buds had the driver flex problem. Second pair the left earbud drops out every 10 seconds. One of the three sounds good with no driver flex or cut out. Sounds like a pretty bad QC thing going on over at Tiso.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back