Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 31, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #4,741 of 62,436
I confess, I'm a little intrigued about the MTW, but after having picked up the M&D MW07 for $225 at the Best Buy sale my other wireless (Jabra Elite Active, Sony soundsport free) aren't getting any head time, so I guess I'm done for now. Maybe I should unsubscribe from this thread to avoid temptations ...

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #4,742 of 62,436
I confess, I'm a little intrigued about the MTW, but after having picked up the M&D MW07 for $225 at the Best Buy sale my other wireless (Jabra Elite Active, Sony soundsport free) aren't getting any head time, so I guess I'm done for now. Maybe I should unsubscribe from this thread to avoid temptations ...

If there's nothing on the MW07 that makes you can "man I wish..." then the MTW isn't gonna offer you anything. They're basically the peak of the tech currently and if one ticks all the boxes for you the other won't be of any benefit.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #4,743 of 62,436
I agree that the M2 is a solid choice but they are overpriced at $250. For $150ish, based on what I have tested, I would look at the RHA True Connect and the Bose Soundsport Free. If you need isolation, RHA is the better choice. RHA also supports AAC over iPhone despite what their marketing materials state. The Sonly SPN 700N is another very good option at that price. If you put a gun to my head at that price point, I'm picking the RHA.

Wouldn't you say the Sennheiser are equally overpriced at $300? I wouldn't say they're better value than the M2 @ $250.

I understand though it can be incredibly annoying when there is a big price drop and you miss it + end up purchasing an item at full price. Saying that I would probably still pay full price for the M2. When they eventually bring out an M3 I will definitely snap up a pair like and hope to not be a beta tester like with the MTW pre-order.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #4,745 of 62,436
Just got mine today too. Initial impressions are they are decidedly “meh” on the sq. I’d put them behind RHA and Bose. Maybe on par or slightly better than Elite65t. It’s fine but not sure these are competive at 200. Fit wise they are pretty good. With the wings these suckers aren’t going anywhere. Will give them a longer test and report back. I see the sabbat pro is on Newegg for 65. Do I want these guys? The blue is a little flashy.
You can find the re-branded Sabbat x12 pro on Amazon for about $50, like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DH3D45...olid=3I9RIYXF2JWS6&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #4,746 of 62,436
Wouldn't you say the Sennheiser are equally overpriced at $300? I wouldn't say they're better value than the M2 @ $250.

I understand though it can be incredibly annoying when there is a big price drop and you miss it + end up purchasing an item at full price. Saying that I would probably still pay full price for the M2. When they eventually bring out an M3 I will definitely snap up a pair like and hope to not be a beta tester like with the MTW pre-order.

All of this is totally subjective but I would absolutely buy a “fixed all problems” MTW for $300 over the M2 at $250 without any thought whatsoever. In most cases, they sound more than $50 better. Same for MW07.

But at this point there’s no such thing so you have a point. At least for me, though, the M2 has issues as well.

My M2 have a constant problem that when I am listening to music and a call comes in, they pause the music but go into transparency mode, and I can barely hear the call.

The M2 case also sometimes goes “dead” until plugged in momentarily.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #4,747 of 62,436
So because @hifi80sman is a terrible person, I'm taking the MTW for a test drive. I'm about 2 hours deep in and here's my thoughts thus far:
  1. Compared to the MW07, the MTW is a bit... soft. It's hard to explain, but it feels like there's a slight haze over everything, which is likely just because of not having the sharp treble. The result is closer to the Crossfade 2 Wireless but it gives music a bit less "thwack" to it. Beryllium drivers, man...
  2. The fit is great. I got the large tips in and they're just snug and happy right there.
  3. Once I adjusted, the MTW definitely don't lack in definition or clarity, it's just lesser than. However the music is superbly alive, and there's zero fatigue. For a guy whose library is primarily extreme metal with rap in 2nd place and everything else trailing behind that, this is damn good.
  4. Okay, the battery. I am absolutely ignoring the L/R battery situation for the simple fact that literally no other TWE I've tried gives that kind of granular battery reading. Jabra, Bose, Sony, B&O, M&D, etc, they always gave a "general" readout that went in increments of 10. There's zero way to know how they compare to others, so what I'm focusing on is how long it takes for them to go from 100% to "low battery warning." After about 2hr the lower of the two (right piece) is reading at 56%, so that sounds good.
  5. Ah yes, touch controls. I forgot how much I hate those. The MW07 has these nice little buttons that make it super easy to figure out what you're doing, Senn wants you to do the whole "tap once for X, tap twice for Y, hold for Z" thing. Not a fan.
  6. The presentation isn't nearly as "premium," for sure. The weird fabric case, the plastic all over, the MW07 by comparison just feel like they're luxurious while the MTW feel "workhorse," if that makes sense.
So far I can't make a call between them. On raw SQ I'm saying the MW07 wins, because they really did have a "wow" factor from the moment I listened, but it's possible that their quality numbed me a bit so there was no way for the MTW to give me a "wow" no matter how great they were. I have about 2 weeks to make a decision on which to return.
This is fascinating. I would flip 1-3 100% around. The MTW is almost too harsh on treble for me-much harsher than the MW07. The have so much snap that cymbal crashes almost hurt. And the MTW are both more granular and more fatiguing, both due to the treble and the fit, which is OK but nothing as comfortable as the MW07.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #4,748 of 62,436
All of this is totally subjective but I would absolutely buy a “fixed all problems” MTW for $300 over the M2 at $250 without any thought whatsoever. In most cases, they sound more than $50 better. Same for MW07.

But at this point there’s no such thing so you have a point. At least for me, though, the M2 has issues as well.

My M2 have a constant problem that when I am listening to music and a call comes in, they pause the music but go into transparency mode, and I can barely hear the call.

The M2 case also sometimes goes “dead” until plugged in momentarily.

Sounds like you may have a faulty case, I wouldn't know regarding your second point - I always have transparency mode turned off.

I meant just in terms of the complete product, the MTW definitely do sound more than $50 better but I don't think some of the battery issues could be fixed with firmware updates.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #4,749 of 62,436
This is fascinating. I would flip 1-3 100% around. The MTW is almost too harsh on treble for me-much harsher than the MW07. The have so much snap that cymbal crashes almost hurt. And the MTW are both more granular and more fatiguing, both due to the treble and the fit, which is OK but nothing as comfortable as the MW07.
Have you played with different tips?

-Ed

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #4,750 of 62,436

That's definitely wild to me. I wonder if you're having fit issues with the MTW, because with a good seal on both the MTW's treble is definitely softer. Or maybe their respective peaks/valleys are just showing how our hearing is different! Either way, both are stunning products, and I admit I'm prooooobably gonna keep the MTW...

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #4,751 of 62,436
To each their own. But I have never read anywhere that describes it your way. I own both and I'm 180 from you.
Both are great and makes my love for TWS that much more.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #4,753 of 62,436
Keep testing Mavin Air-X.... The silicone stabilizers close my ear chamber a bit more, which makes a slightly smaller sound stage but add a bit more bass impact I was looking for. Good! Then ordered Spinfit CP155 tips. They fit Air-X like a glove. The sound has noticeable changes, but not profound. It becomes more crisp, better instrument separation, and more bass texture. Surprisingly they add a sparkling treble as well, but not so that causes any harshness. So the sound signature slightly shifts from Ath-E70 towards Sennheiser IE800.

Bad call quality, even in quiet environment. Earin M2 and MW07 win handily for this. Also I was not able to pair Air-X with a BT transmitter to watch TV, probably due to the new chipset and stereo plus thing. M2 (AptX) and Sabbat X12 pro (AAC) pair easily and sound great. X12 pro keep amazing me. Their open design gives a good sound stage when watching TV, and with their long battery life I'm ready for Super Bowl!

How are them with the spinfit? im waiting for an assortment of them. Strange that they are cheaper on amazon.com, but places I can buy from are more expensive.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #4,754 of 62,436
How are them with the spinfit? im waiting for an assortment of them. Strange that they are cheaper on amazon.com, but places I can buy from are more expensive.
The spinfit tips expand the sound stage and frequency range a bit, and also make them more resolving. On the flip side seems make me more fatigue for long-time listening. The fit is perfect, though, and fit into the case without any issue.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #4,755 of 62,436
That's definitely wild to me. I wonder if you're having fit issues with the MTW, because with a good seal on both the MTW's treble is definitely softer. Or maybe their respective peaks/valleys are just showing how our hearing is different! Either way, both are stunning products, and I admit I'm prooooobably gonna keep the MTW...

Pretty sure it's not fit, and certainly not seal. I love the MTW sound, but it's the dead opposite of softer to me. MTW is much harsher, more aggressive, more sibilant, more "angry" to use a weird word. MW07 is smoother, calmer, more blended and soft, just more "chill" overall. The bass on the MW07 thumps, on the MTW it smacks. If I am pissed off and want to turn something up as loud as it will go, MTW all the way.

One thing I will note - the EQ on the MTW app makes a huge difference in sound. Right when I got them I didn't like them - too bloated and muddy. So I moved the MTW EQ dot about 1/3 up and 1/3 right of center to clean the bass up a bit and the sound just opened up for me. It's been there ever since. That might account for some of the difference.

Have you played with different tips?

-Ed
Oh yeah. Spinfits, Spiral dots, Complys, Stock, Kombis. Really don't change the MTW or MW07 sound drastically - not at all like they do for the M2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back