Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #4,696 of 62,435
I can understand that. Personally I liked the Bose sound a bunch, especially for in the gym.

Really all that's left is the damn MTW. Guess I gotta...
Man, just do it. I walked into Fry's Electronics yesterday to just "look" around, lo and behold, they had the MTW. Had to do it again and just wait for the firmware updates. I guess you don't realize how much you want something until it's right in front of your mug.

I also purchased the E8 again, because I'm a degenerate and need an intervention. Sadly, I'll have to return the E8s again, given I'm having drop outs of the L earbud about every 5 minutes.

12.jpg

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4,697 of 62,435
Man, just do it. I walked into Fry's Electronics yesterday to just "look" around, lo and behold, they had the MTW. Had to do it again and just wait for the firmware updates. I guess you don't realize how much you want something until it's right in front of your mug.

I also purchased the E8 again, because I'm a degenerate and need an intervention. Sadly, I'll have to return the E8s again, given I'm having drop outs of the L earbud about every 5 minutes.

This post makes me feel much better about not knowing which of the M2, MTW and MW07 to get rid of.

I actually met a person who also has the E8s over the weekend. He had the black ones. i have had 2 pair of the grey. His sound different from either one of mine. I still have my second pair and we swapped, and he agreed. His sound fuller, mine more detailed.

I still needed to hold my right ear just so in order to hear them at their best, so they're just made for ears other than mine. So those are still going.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #4,699 of 62,435

That's exactly how I felt last week when stopping in to best buy to just look and came home with the MW07 again and I'm glad I did!
Now to just decide between The Earin M2 and Mavin Air x. My dog( Blue Heeler) is named Earin (Rin for short) so I'm not sure if that is a sign to get the M2.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #4,700 of 62,435

You're just the worst. :darthsmile:

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #4,701 of 62,435
Went to gym and tested Mavin Air-X. I put on the silicone stabilizers, which add more secure fit, and more importantly, way more comfortable to my ears without direct contacting the hard plastic body. The size is a bit larger than M2 so I still feel them in my ears, but don't cause me any discomfort. There is no dropout throughout the workout. When running, I put the bud out a little bit to make a loose seal, which completely eliminate the thumping sound while the stabilizers still provided a very secure sitting.
After the test, I change my mind and think Air-X is the best for gym use to me. I still want to keep my LG V30 and in the future upgrade to another V series, which for some reason take AAC as the system default codec, causing quite a few dropouts in M2. Air-X simply gives me zero worries. No need to switch to AptX every time. No drop outs. No worry about messing up physical button controls. No worry about the battery running out. If I want to stay longer, no worry about the brutal master-slave swapping, which again automatically switch to AAC and then dropouts come back.

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #4,703 of 62,435
May I ask how the performance (phone call quality is also important to me) of the Mavin Air-Xs are when used with an iPhone XS?
I don't have iPhone. They're not good with my LG V30 for calls, though, even in a quiet environment. The other side kept asking me to speak up until I took one bud and put it close to my mouth. MW07 and M2 are much better in call quality, as I heard no complaints.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #4,704 of 62,435
So because @hifi80sman is a terrible person, I'm taking the MTW for a test drive. I'm about 2 hours deep in and here's my thoughts thus far:
  1. Compared to the MW07, the MTW is a bit... soft. It's hard to explain, but it feels like there's a slight haze over everything, which is likely just because of not having the sharp treble. The result is closer to the Crossfade 2 Wireless but it gives music a bit less "thwack" to it. Beryllium drivers, man...
  2. The fit is great. I got the large tips in and they're just snug and happy right there.
  3. Once I adjusted, the MTW definitely don't lack in definition or clarity, it's just lesser than. However the music is superbly alive, and there's zero fatigue. For a guy whose library is primarily extreme metal with rap in 2nd place and everything else trailing behind that, this is damn good.
  4. Okay, the battery. I am absolutely ignoring the L/R battery situation for the simple fact that literally no other TWE I've tried gives that kind of granular battery reading. Jabra, Bose, Sony, B&O, M&D, etc, they always gave a "general" readout that went in increments of 10. There's zero way to know how they compare to others, so what I'm focusing on is how long it takes for them to go from 100% to "low battery warning." After about 2hr the lower of the two (right piece) is reading at 56%, so that sounds good.
  5. Ah yes, touch controls. I forgot how much I hate those. The MW07 has these nice little buttons that make it super easy to figure out what you're doing, Senn wants you to do the whole "tap once for X, tap twice for Y, hold for Z" thing. Not a fan.
  6. The presentation isn't nearly as "premium," for sure. The weird fabric case, the plastic all over, the MW07 by comparison just feel like they're luxurious while the MTW feel "workhorse," if that makes sense.
So far I can't make a call between them. On raw SQ I'm saying the MW07 wins, because they really did have a "wow" factor from the moment I listened, but it's possible that their quality numbed me a bit so there was no way for the MTW to give me a "wow" no matter how great they were. I have about 2 weeks to make a decision on which to return.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #4,705 of 62,435
I don't have iPhone. They're not good with my LG V30 for calls, though, even in a quiet environment. The other side kept asking me to speak up until I took one bud and put it close to my mouth. MW07 and M2 are much better in call quality, as I heard no complaints.

Yeah, I figured there might be functional differences between iOS and Android, so wanted to clear that up. Thanks for the reply.

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #4,706 of 62,435
So because @hifi80sman is a terrible person, I'm taking the MTW for a test drive. I'm about 2 hours deep in and here's my thoughts thus far:
  1. Compared to the MW07, the MTW is a bit... soft. It's hard to explain, but it feels like there's a slight haze over everything, which is likely just because of not having the sharp treble. The result is closer to the Crossfade 2 Wireless but it gives music a bit less "thwack" to it. Beryllium drivers, man...
  2. The fit is great. I got the large tips in and they're just snug and happy right there.
  3. Once I adjusted, the MTW definitely don't lack in definition or clarity, it's just lesser than. However the music is superbly alive, and there's zero fatigue. For a guy whose library is primarily extreme metal with rap in 2nd place and everything else trailing behind that, this is damn good.
  4. Okay, the battery. I am absolutely ignoring the L/R battery situation for the simple fact that literally no other TWE I've tried gives that kind of granular battery reading. Jabra, Bose, Sony, B&O, M&D, etc, they always gave a "general" readout that went in increments of 10. There's zero way to know how they compare to others, so what I'm focusing on is how long it takes for them to go from 100% to "low battery warning." After about 2hr the lower of the two (right piece) is reading at 56%, so that sounds good.
  5. Ah yes, touch controls. I forgot how much I hate those. The MW07 has these nice little buttons that make it super easy to figure out what you're doing, Senn wants you to do the whole "tap once for X, tap twice for Y, hold for Z" thing. Not a fan.
  6. The presentation isn't nearly as "premium," for sure. The weird fabric case, the plastic all over, the MW07 by comparison just feel like they're luxurious while the MTW feel "workhorse," if that makes sense.
So far I can't make a call between them. On raw SQ I'm saying the MW07 wins, because they really did have a "wow" factor from the moment I listened, but it's possible that their quality numbed me a bit so there was no way for the MTW to give me a "wow" no matter how great they were. I have about 2 weeks to make a decision on which to return.
Yeah, your findings basically echo mine. There is a definite under-emphasis in the low treble region which impacts the overall detail and nuance of instruments/vocals, but this can be addressed with EQ. They are certainly plastic, plastic, plastic, although the fabrication is good. They are definitely good for the gym and have great connection quality. I also paired them with my LG TV (with aptX) and movies sound great with no appreciable delay. They fit a different niche than the MW07 do, so I'll probably end up keeping both. I sent the E8 packing for good, as it has connection issues and the sound is simply a lesser version of both the MTW and MW07. The E8 2.0 is not very compelling, given the only difference is the case; the earbuds are exactly the same.

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #4,707 of 62,435
Yeah, your findings basically echo mine. There is a definite under-emphasis in the low treble region which impacts the overall detail and nuance of instruments/vocals, but this can be addressed with EQ. They are certainly plastic, plastic, plastic, although the fabrication is good. They are definitely good for the gym and have great connection quality. I also paired them with my LG TV (with aptX) and movies sound great with no appreciable delay. They fit a different niche than the MW07 do, so I'll probably end up keeping both. I sent the E8 packing for good, as it has connection issues and the sound is simply a lesser version of both the MTW and MW07. The E8 2.0 is not very compelling, given the only difference is the case; the earbuds are exactly the same.

I can really only keep one for financial reasons ATM (just moved, adopted a dog that needs a lot of help), but I really can't pick which just yet. I think it's gonna come down to if I run into any of the charge/case issues others have had.

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,709 of 62,435
As a follow up, if SQ isn't of paramount importance and you have an iPhone, does it make sense to just get a pair of AirPods?
Only if you REALLY don’t care at all about sq. I have an iPhone and air pods are not in the realm of consideration for me because they sound like garbage. I’d rather listen to piped in gym music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back