Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 15, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #4,276 of 62,422
I had it and thought it was pretty good. I ended up returning them to get the Liberty+, but I actually thought the regular Liberty was better for my tastes (a little warmer, more bass). The Liberty+ sounded cleaner, but the App was pretty useless with crappy presets. It did not let you EQ via frequency bands. The Liberty+ case was also metal, but overall, the standard Liberty is a better value.

Thanks. I'm looking to get those or wait a lil it and see if the Xiaomi Airdots Pro, come to the U.S they hit the FCC back in November. They were recently released in China, but seem to be sold out everywhere. I've owned Xiaomi headphones before and they were great. The only thing that bothers me is that they are B.T 4.2. What made you return it btw? How was the call quality and connectivity?

https://www.techradar.com/news/xiaomi-airdots-listed-in-fcc-document

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #4,277 of 62,422
Wonder why so many are eager to get the Mavin Air-X, when the Air-ANC is supposed to ship 1Q '19 according to the PR, given ANC, v. likely Marvin Air-ANC will use a 5100 series chip as they have mentioned in this PR from Jan 3:

Not everyone cares about ANC. I'm more interested in sound quality than I am concerned about which Qualcomm SoC it's using as long as battery life is good and I can use TrueWireless Stereo Plus. Personally, I've never heard an ANC implementation that didn't cause me discomfort.

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #4,278 of 62,422
Does android allow the phone to work as a bluetooth receiver? Cause you'd need the Switch transmitter to be the transmitter and the phone to be the receiver?

Actually you're right, it won't allow the phone to act as an Rx so what I suggested to @Rickyearl won't work...

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #4,279 of 62,422
ambient mode is far more useful than ANC for me. with passive isolation alone is enough for md daily use. ambient more however, i wish all my tws have it

Jan 16, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #4,280 of 62,422
Thanks. My current set are the HD1 Free. I guess that would make it HD1F.

As far as MTW, those were on the radar for possible next purchase. Waiting to see if my Xfyro Arias ever arrive first.
Received my Arias today!
First impressions: very warm sounding, not bad at all, comfort is good, case is cheaply made (won't last) 20190115_220023.jpg

Jan 16, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #4,281 of 62,422
Thanks. I'm looking to get those or wait a lil it and see if the Xiaomi Airdots Pro, come to the U.S they hit the FCC back in November. They were recently released in China, but seem to be sold out everywhere. I've owned Xiaomi headphones before and they were great. The only thing that bothers me is that they are B.T 4.2. What made you return it btw? How was the call quality and connectivity?

https://www.techradar.com/news/xiaomi-airdots-listed-in-fcc-document
There was nothing wrong with them, I just decided to use those funds and invest in the Master & Dynamic MW07 instead. Just going off memory, call quality seemed fine in a quiet office (I have my own office, so I'm not around a bunch of cubicles), but it was not as good as my Bose SoundSport Free, which have very good call quality. I usually test the call quality by calling myself and changing my VM greeting (but I don't save it of course!).

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #4,282 of 62,422
ambient mode is far more useful than ANC for me. with passive isolation alone is enough for md daily use. ambient more however, i wish all my tws have it

Totally agree which in the end is why I wont be using the Havit G1 as they dont have ambient despite them in all other areas being good and very good for their price

Jan 16, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #4,284 of 62,422
Been listening to these for about an hour or so and honestly, I like these things (Kissral Bluetooth 5.0 True Wireless Earbuds). Much better than what I was expecting.

PROS
- Bass is strong, deep, with some texture. Not a punchy mid-high bass, so low end sounds cleaner.
- The sound is NOT muddy. Totally shocked here. It's actually a clean V-shaped signature. Usually, I have to EQ a bit to get them sounding passable. Out of the box, these sound, dare I say it, fairly good.
- Buds magnetically attach to the case base, as does the lid.
- Although entirely plastic, they feel solid and fabrication is good.

CONS
- Highs are slightly sharp around the 10 kHz region, but again, just slightly.
- SBC only. A bit of graininess in some of the upper registers, but nothing offensive.
- Slightly higher noise floor, but mostly unnoticeable when music is playing.
- Micro USB.
- Stock ear tips are a bit narrow and didn't fit me, so I had to switch them with a pair of the dozens I have lying around.
- With the larger, wider ear tips, I have to push the buds down a bit more for them to come in contact with the charging prongs. Lid still closes nicely.

Overall, at $29 (with promo code, regularly $39), these are a keeper. I can see myself using these AND enjoying the music in environments I can't bring some of my more costly TWEs.

IMG_2070.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #4,285 of 62,422
technically, earphones with ANC should easily be able to enable a transparency mode tho, so here’s hoping the new mavins have both

Since all TWE earphones have microphones, they should all somehow be able to have an equivalent to transparency mode. I wonder if they could all turn it into a thing with a firmware update.

I did notice that not all TWE with transparency mode list it in their features. Those who have transparency enabled TWE, would you mind sharing the model you have?

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #4,287 of 62,422
My E8, MTW, and Earin M2 all have transparency. Soundcore Liberty Lite does not.

Another weird thing on the Soundcore Liberty Lite (as well as some of the lower end ChiFi I’ve tried) is that putting in case does not turn them off automatically. They keep playing until they get no signal for a few minutes.

I mention this because the MTWs tend to do the same. That combined with a few other things they share (identical voice and voice prompts, the sometimes one isn’t charged issue, the weird discharge when you move the case) makes me wonder if Senn was in a hurry to rush these out so they skimped and just bought a bit of the “infrastructure” from a ChiFi vendor.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #4,288 of 62,422
Well having ANC never hurts, thing is I'm not aware of any IEMs (wired or BT) that have been able to implement an efficient ANC mode. Actually other than the WF1000x/SP700 are there any other IEMs with passive isolation out there with ANC ? ANC works really well on the QC20 and QC30 but they're earbuds really, same with the TaoTronics EP-01.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #4,289 of 62,422
Well having ANC never hurts, thing is I'm not aware of any IEMs (wired or BT) that have been able to implement an efficient ANC mode. Actually other than the WF1000x/SP700 are there any other IEMs with passive isolation out there with ANC ? ANC works really well on the QC20 and QC30 but they're earbuds really, same with the TaoTronics EP-01.

isn't the QC20 and 30 closed seal iem style? when i refer to earbuds, it's always the open sounding/non isolating ones like earpods (like the ones on the "Earbuds Round-Up" thread here on headfi.

the Sony WI1000X is also worth considering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back