Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 6, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #3,781 of 62,434
I’m amazed by how well the G1 seem to be holding their own against much more expensive sets like the E8s. Either the Havits are punching well above their weight, or we have a mediocre first gen run of TWEs, perhaps even a combination of the two.

The first run of "high-end" TWEs definitely seem mediocre to me. I would certainly expect the $200-300 products of big companies to beat $40 Chinese stuff on features (battery life, waterproofing, good magnetic cases, BT5, etc), which they don't seem to do at the moment.

Fingers crossed for the next generation of products, I guess.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #3,782 of 62,434
Yes the G1 is certainly great value for money.

The M2 nfmi link is much stronger than the one on the E8, I can remove either unit probably 10-15 cm from my head before loosing connection, the E8 loose connection immediately. That could explain the shorter battery life and the rock solid connection
I just tried that with my E8s I pulled the left and right out together at the same time and they where about a foot and half apart before the left gave out. Not sure if you did it that exact way. Just wanted to note that my E8s are pretty rock solid with connection especially after the update.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #3,783 of 62,434
Used my X12s again today for both bike riding and running, still happy with them even though they don't have the best "clarity" but using them to call while riding my bike didn't work very well, let alone trying to activate "Google Assistant" there's just too much wind noise and the volume of the prompts was too low. The person on the other side seemed to understand what I was saying though so it's not all bad :wink:

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #3,784 of 62,434
I just tried that with my E8s I pulled the left and right out together at the same time and they where about a foot and half apart before the left gave out. Not sure if you did it that exact way. Just wanted to note that my E8s are pretty rock solid with connection especially after the update.

I leave one in ear and take the other straight out so the head is still in between the ear pieces. The M2 maintains the link for a bigger distance than the E8. My E8 has many very short left unit drop outs, probably one every few minutes although it sometimes goes much longer between drop outs. I was haven a mail conversation with B&O about it but eventually they simply stopped responding

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #3,785 of 62,434
me personally prefer non-NFMI type, because i like to be able to pull one out of my ears while atill listening to the music. the Earin still lets me do that, but only one side, while the Jabra pauses the music whenever i remove one. luckily it still has an ambient mode, but sometimes i just want to scratch my ears without stopping the music.

the sony, sabbat, and mifo (while slightly have more dropouts on one side than the NFMIs) lets me do just that

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #3,786 of 62,434
me personally prefer non-NFMI type, because i like to be able to pull one out of my ears while atill listening to the music. the Earin still lets me do that, but only one side, while the Jabra pauses the music whenever i remove one. luckily it still has an ambient mode, but sometimes i just want to scratch my ears without stopping the music.

the sony, sabbat, and mifo (while slightly have more dropouts on one side than the NFMIs) lets me do just that

Yes the Havit G1 also allows this which is nice

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #3,787 of 62,434
I leave one in ear and take the other straight out so the head is still in between the ear pieces. The M2 maintains the link for a bigger distance than the E8. My E8 has many very short left unit drop outs, probably one every few minutes although it sometimes goes much longer between drop outs. I was haven a mail conversation with B&O about it but eventually they simply stopped responding
I was in conversation with them as well and come to find out I was using the wrong app on my phone. My battery life sucked on them but now with the right app and deleted the other everything is perfect, (or close to it).

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #3,788 of 62,434
I was in conversation with them as well and come to find out I was using the wrong app on my phone. My battery life sucked on them but now with the right app and deleted the other everything is perfect, (or close to it).

What do you mean with the wrong app ?

I’ve had just over 4 hours on the E8 right from the start over a year ago

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #3,790 of 62,434
I had the Treblab X5 and the sound (bass-boosted, yet clear) and fit were great. Full controls on the earbuds as well. Wasn’t a fan of the AirPod look, so ended up returning them.
They definitely seem like an interesting budget choice. How did you find the build quality on them? I know the case looks a little flimsy, but can’t tell a lot about the iems from the reviews. I’m not the biggest fan of the AirPod look myself, but these don’t look too revolting to me. Sound wise, can these be compared to the E8s (or the H1s, if you’ve listened to them)?

The first run of "high-end" TWEs definitely seem mediocre to me. I would certainly expect the $200-300 products of big companies to beat $40 Chinese stuff on features (battery life, waterproofing, good magnetic cases, BT5, etc), which they don't seem to do at the moment.

Fingers crossed for the next generation of products, I guess.
It almost seems like the bigger players are using buyers as beta testers for their twes. Quality issues seem to be running rampant, half baked apps, bugs as features and constant firmware updates for those earbuds that can be updated suggest that there was a definite rush to get to the market first. If I’m spending ~$300 on a set of earbuds, I sure as hell would like for them to have a stable connection with each other and the source. I was really expecting the MTWs to take the lead here - they come from a decent house with a good track record in general (even though the Momentum name does not carry a high regard). On the other hand, Apple’s really outdone themselves with their first gen offering - they were one of the first ones to play with the true wireless form and they have provided rather decent quality of life features for a reasonable price. If the next version of the AirPods have better sq, I can live with their alien-probe look.

Jan 6, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #3,791 of 62,434
There is 2 different apps for the E8 and initially downloaded the wrong one. They should get rid of the other one. It has a lot of the same features but I don't think they update it anymore.

Yes they came out with a new unified app about a month ago but the app has absolutely no effect on the battery time on the buds.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #3,792 of 62,434
I bought the MTW today. Certainly the best true wireless SQ I've heard, but doesn't really say much. For a $300 dollar product, I am quite disappointed. These sound like 70-80 dollar wired pairs with quite a lack of refinement across the entire spectrum. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #3,793 of 62,434
The $175 was too good to pass up - bought the Earin M-2 last night. If they sound as good as folks here say, I’ll put the E8s up for sale here soon. The form factor for both the IEMs and the case are just too nice, and the ability to effectively double battery life by using one at a time is a fantastic feature for when I have to listen to spoken word stuff for work.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #3,794 of 62,434
Yes they came out with a new unified app about a month ago but the app has absolutely no effect on the battery time on the buds.

The old one (maroon icon) allowed you to open and close the “soundstage” and the new one doesn’t. If you use both you can really mess them up, too. Mine got stuck on wide open “soundstage” and I had to delete the new app to fix it.

Jan 6, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #3,795 of 62,434
I bought the MTW today. Certainly the best true wireless SQ I've heard, but doesn't really say much. For a $300 dollar product, I am quite disappointed. These sound like 70-80 dollar wired pairs with quite a lack of refinement across the entire spectrum. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

I’d say about $100 wired, but otherwise, yeah. When people say “they sound as good as wired” they’re certainly not referring to high-end wired. For example, my Mh-40s blow them away, as do those weird Trinity Audio things with the dozens of filters that I bought on a whim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back