Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 8, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #1,651 of 62,447
I’ve been spending more time with my Elite 65t’s & while the balance is still obviously shifted to the left I’ve come to appreciate the other aspects of them. I’m extremely impressed with how they can connect to multiple devices at the same time flawlessly every time, for instance listening to music off my iPad & when a call comes in to my Pixel 2 how it switches over to the phone pausing music on the of their device until the call is complete then switching back all without a hiccup, impressive. Sound quality is solid but before I start a new thread I have a question about portable amps. Maybe I’m missing it but are there portable amps that transmit via Bluetooth? I see plenty that receive via Bluetooth but not seeing ones that will transmit to wireless phones like the Jabra’s?

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #1,652 of 62,447
I’ve been spending more time with my Elite 65t’s & while the balance is still obviously shifted to the left I’ve come to appreciate the other aspects of them. I’m extremely impressed with how they can connect to multiple devices at the same time flawlessly every time, for instance listening to music off my iPad & when a call comes in to my Pixel 2 how it switches over to the phone pausing music on the of their device until the call is complete then switching back all without a hiccup, impressive. Sound quality is solid but before I start a new thread I have a question about portable amps. Maybe I’m missing it but are there portable amps that transmit via Bluetooth? I see plenty that receive via Bluetooth but not seeing ones that will transmit to wireless phones like the Jabra’s?

Why would you want an amp ?
All processing and amplication happens in the phones so there would be no difference wether the signal comes from a phone, tablet or said amp (if one exists).

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #1,653 of 62,447
Why would you want an amp ?
All processing and amplication happens in the phones so there would be no difference wether the signal comes from a phone, tablet or said amp (if one exists).

Sorry, I realized I wasn’t exactly clear in that request after I posted it. Sometimes while listening to the Jabra’s I could use a little more volume. Perfect example was using them while on my lawn tractor, in that case a little more power is appreciated so I can hear more of the music vs tractor engine/music. In those cases with a wireless headphone your pretty much stuck with what the source is outputting for volume correct or is there another way to increase output?

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #1,654 of 62,447
Sorry, I realized I wasn’t exactly clear in that request after I posted it. Sometimes while listening to the Jabra’s I could use a little more volume. Perfect example was using them while on my lawn tractor, in that case a little more power is appreciated so I can hear more of the music vs tractor engine/music. In those cases with a wireless headphone your pretty much stuck with what the source is outputting for volume correct or is there another way to increase output?

On BT all amplification is done by the amp in the earpiecese so (at least to my understanding) the loudness should be the same no matter what device sends the signal to the earpieces and is exclusively limited by the amp in the earpieces

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,655 of 62,447
On BT all amplification is done by the amp in the earpiecese so (at least to my understanding) the loudness should be the same no matter what device sends the signal to the earpieces and is exclusively limited by the amp in the earpieces

Thank you, that makes perfect sense.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #1,656 of 62,447
We're all secretly like impatient children but what do Sennheiser expect after taking so long to finally release a pair of true wireless.....

Finally?? They have had one for years...
upload_2018-11-8_8-39-2.jpeg

:ksc75smile:

Nov 8, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #1,657 of 62,447
Hi.

I finally get the EOZ Air (kickstarter project) 2 weeks ago. A brief feedback :

- External quality is better than I tought, the finish looks pretty good for a Kickstarter product made in China. The charging case is not very small, but it does the job. The link between case and in-ears is magnetic.
- The sound : it is just passable. Ok for commuting, running... but not even close to my sennheiser momentum HD free (and I don't talk of my wired in-ear ES3...). It is not "high-res sound" in any case.EOZ promised APTX at the beginning of the project and during the production they finally chose a chip which supports only SBC/AAC. A huge letdown. They use BT 5.0.
- The design : what I like the most : With the external "antenna", the fit is secured. Perfect for running. I hope a brand like jays, sennheiser or A-T will produce a TW with a similar design (I had a hope with jays, but the m-jays six wireless has a cable...)
- Isolation : with the foam tip included I got a very good isolation. Good point.
- The connection : very strong, I didn't encounter a single drop since I got them. Good point too.
- The battery : EOZ claims 4h/charge and up to 90 hrs with the case. For now I didn't have to recharge the case a single time. So I guess it's a good sign.
- Touch control option : crappy. Just forget it.
- Application : for now, no app, but it is supposed to arrive later
- Latence : Noticeable.
- Others : my unit doesn't suffer from any problem, but the feedbacks of many backer show a lot a defective unit : was the quality control good enough ?
- Price quality ratio : 79 seems ok in regards of the sound quality and the design (it was the "early bird" price) . 99 is passable ("kickstarter normal price". more than 149 (retail price) seems too expensive.

General impressions : it is my first true wireless set. I have the momentum HD free (necklace wireless style), and after trying the EOZ, I'm totally conviced that TW is the future of bluetooth in-ear headphones. Even tough the sennheiser sounds really better, I find the conveniency of having litterally no wire to be a very enjoyable thing
So...I'm now sure I will get the momentum TW :D

I will try to post some photos later

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,658 of 62,447
Hi.

I finally get the EOZ Air (kickstarter project) 2 weeks ago. A brief feedback :

- External quality is better than I tought, the finish looks pretty good for a Kickstarter product made in China. The charging case is not very small, but it does the job. The link between case and in-ears is magnetic.
- The sound : it is just passable. Ok for commuting, running... but not even close to my sennheiser momentum HD free (and I don't talk of my wired in-ear ES3...). It is not "high-res sound" in any case.EOZ promised APTX at the beginning of the project and during the production they finally chose a chip which supports only SBC/AAC. A huge letdown. They use BT 5.0.
- The design : what I like the most : With the external "antenna", the fit is secured. Perfect for running. I hope a brand like jays, sennheiser or A-T will produce a TW with a similar design (I had a hope with jays, but the m-jays six wireless has a cable...)
- Isolation : with the foam tip included I got a very good isolation. Good point.
- The connection : very strong, I didn't encounter a single drop since I got them. Good point too.
- The battery : EOZ claims 4h/charge and up to 90 hrs with the case. For now I didn't have to recharge the case a single time. So I guess it's a good sign.
- Touch control option : crappy. Just forget it.
- Application : for now, no app, but it is supposed to arrive later
- Latence : Noticeable.
- Others : my unit doesn't suffer from any problem, but the feedbacks of many backer show a lot a defective unit : was the quality control good enough ?
- Price quality ratio : 79 seems ok in regards of the sound quality and the design (it was the "early bird" price) . 99 is passable ("kickstarter normal price". more than 149 (retail price) seems too expensive.

General impressions : it is my first true wireless set. I have the momentum HD free (necklace wireless style), and after trying the EOZ, I'm totally conviced that TW is the future of bluetooth in-ear headphones. Even tough the sennheiser sounds really better, I find the conveniency of having litterally no wire to be a very enjoyable thing
So...I'm now sure I will get the momentum TW :D

I will try to post some photos later

Yes no wires at all is really addictive

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,659 of 62,447
People need to realize that not having aptX is not, by any stretch, the primary limiting factor in the SQ of these headphones. It's good to have those codecs, and there is a (subtle) difference between SBC/AAC/aptX, but a bad sounding headset via SBC isn't going to turn into a good one with aptX. This isn't like going from 128kbps to 320, the bitrate on SBC is 345kbps for stereo and it's 352kbps for aptX with both doing 16/44.1KHz. Noise and latency worse on SBC but it's not that significant of a difference and I doubt many of us are using these in rock-silent environments anyway.

To put it another way, the VModa Crossfade via SBC still sounds better than the Sony XM10002 running LDAC despite the latter's codec being stunningly better, and if you swap from codec to codec as you go along you're likely not going to notice a difference SQ-wise unless you're paying incredibly close attention. If your TWIEMs don't sound good, the lack of aptX isn't why and if the company adds it in the next iteration it won't suddenly make them sound much better.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,660 of 62,447
i have a little question for you,
if the SBC bitrate is 345kbps and the aptX 352kbps, so the fact that for expl bluetooth 5.0 can go to 2mbps is somehow useless, if the codec by itself can get to that rate ?
and do you think i should wait for some earbuds knowing that i m not gonna put more than 200 euros
or should i go with the samsung iconX 2018 or maybe the jabra 65t ?
thanks

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,661 of 62,447
I had the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless and must admit I loved their sound characteristics but replaced them with the Sony WH1000xm2's and haven't looked back. When connected via LDAC their sound quality is truly excellent in my opinion.

Whilst I would be first to admit that my hearing isn't as good as it was twenty (or thirty) years ago, I can still easily tell the difference between SBC and APTX - even on the inexpensive headphones sold on Amazon.

Where the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless did have the edge was in the quality of their amplification and build quality.

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,662 of 62,447
People need to realize that not having aptX is not, by any stretch, the primary limiting factor in the SQ of these headphones. It's good to have those codecs, and there is a (subtle) difference between SBC/AAC/aptX, but a bad sounding headset via SBC isn't going to turn into a good one with aptX. This isn't like going from 128kbps to 320, the bitrate on SBC is 345kbps for stereo and it's 352kbps for aptX with both doing 16/44.1KHz. Noise and latency worse on SBC but it's not that significant of a difference and I doubt many of us are using these in rock-silent environments anyway.

To put it another way, the VModa Crossfade via SBC still sounds better than the Sony XM10002 running LDAC despite the latter's codec being stunningly better, and if you swap from codec to codec as you go along you're likely not going to notice a difference SQ-wise unless you're paying incredibly close attention. If your TWIEMs don't sound good, the lack of aptX isn't why and if the company adds it in the next iteration it won't suddenly make them sound much better.

yup, but still if the company promised aptx and give sbc instead, it would still sting a bit :ksc75smile:
i had that experience when i bought a bluetooth cable and the seller said it has aptx, when in fact it is not. it still sounds good and convenient to use, so i let it slide

while on my devices that do support aptx and higher, it does make a noticeable difference (albeit subtle) especially on higher trebles. not a problem listening to busy modern pop music though.. but acoustics would be noticable. i like using bluetooths at home also as i like being mobile. in fact, come to think of it, all of my gears are bluetooth based, even my dac amp :dt880smile:

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,663 of 62,447
Audio Technica True Wireless (ATH-CKR7TW) released in Japan today, available for purchase. Hopefully some reviews soon.

So far, a few reviews already appeared online (in Japanese!) and they seem to all praise the excellent near Hi-Fi sound quality, matching wired headphone SQ, but what about features?

Looking at the Japanese user manual (thanks to a translation app), These seem to be pure audiophile headphones. No mention of convenience features such as "transparent hearing", Smart assistant etc ...
The earbuds have 1 physical button on top each (ie unlikely to resist sweat). This is used for basic control, ie play/pause, fast forward/ back, volume up/down and take a call/hang hang-up. nothing more.
1 mic on the right earbud only, ie no "transparent hearing". This is important to me as I want a strong passive isolation (comply foam) and want to be able to ear (on demand) my surrounding without having to take the earbuds off all the time...
So far this is not a feature in these...a pity really,

A few weeks back, I got an email from Audio Technica in response to my question.
The AT support guy mentioned that the AT Connect app will enable "Transparent Hearing ...and Voice Assistant Setup".
So far no mention of this anywhere... (not on the Google app store Connect app page updated yesterday, either).

I might have to reconsider the Momentum True Wireless then...
Hopefully more reviews in English language soon.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,664 of 62,447
That's interesting thanks ! Any word on the passive isolation ? Since they're "audiophile" chances are they won't isolation much to provide a wider soundstage like with the Bose and unlike others like the Jabras. I for one would rather have isolation.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,665 of 62,447
Audio Technica True Wireless (ATH-CKR7TW) released in Japan today, available for purchase. Hopefully some reviews soon.

I might have to reconsider the Momentum True Wireless then...
Hopefully more reviews in English language soon.

Biggest issue for me here is no sweat proofing at all from at. They also look a little ridiculous. I just bought the at mx50bt cans yesterday... looking forward to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back