Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 3, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,591 of 62,449
I just got the Elite Active 65ts & while I’m overall really happy with them the imbalance issue is disappointing. They need to add a level or balance control to the app. It’s a shame that they could do so much right but get that part wrong. I’m on the fence about returning them but the options from other manufacturers don’t look that much better. I’ve read a few threads where people reloaded the software & the channel imbalance disappeared then came back but I’m wondering if it’s not a hardware concern like one driver being a few dB off? Otherwise sound quality is good, pairing is excellent, battery life excellent & the comfort is great although I wish it was easier to fit aftermarket tips. So close & maybe for now as good as it gets?

The problem with the imbalance issue is once you focus on it it’s hard to forget about it. I haven’t really noticed it on mine but if it’s there it’s slight and nowhere near as bad as how my Bose would sound.

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,592 of 62,449
IMO if you need to use software to correct a balance issue that's a massive flaw in the product.

That said, my Bose are perfectly balanced (and I'm really sensitive to imbalances) so I got zero complaints.

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,593 of 62,449
I just got the Elite Active 65ts & while I’m overall really happy with them the imbalance issue is disappointing. They need to add a level or balance control to the app. It’s a shame that they could do so much right but get that part wrong. I’m on the fence about returning them but the options from other manufacturers don’t look that much better. I’ve read a few threads where people reloaded the software & the channel imbalance disappeared then came back but I’m wondering if it’s not a hardware concern like one driver being a few dB off? Otherwise sound quality is good, pairing is excellent, battery life excellent & the comfort is great although I wish it was easier to fit aftermarket tips. So close & maybe for now as good as it gets?
Rtings shows some imbalance, but you see this will various headphones due to not being tightly QC'd in driver matching. I looked at BeatsX to compare and matches almost identical on left and right. Just looked at Sp700n as well, it's better matched as well. The Jabra is rather poorly matched in comparison. I thought it was due to fit, but doesn't seem to be the case. That bass imbalance explains it, the sound stage sounded off to me.

frequency-response-graph.png

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,594 of 62,449
but boy oh boy...this thing took sooo long to update itself it's like updating an old windows computer

Lol, I had the same issue. I think it took almost two hours to update.

I agree the M2 is a beautiful product. Wishing you good luck regarding channel balance. In my case, once I changed the gain setting via the app, things started to go downhill...

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,595 of 62,449
Rtings shows some imbalance, but you see this will various headphones due to not being tightly QC'd in driver matching. I looked at BeatsX to compare and matches almost identical on left and right. Just looked at Sp700n as well, it's better matched as well. The Jabra is rather poorly matched in comparison. I thought it was due to fit, but doesn't seem to be the case. That bass imbalance explains it, the sound stage sounded off to me.

Yep, that looks like what I’m hearing. I was thinking QC was off & they weren’t matching drivers causing the imbalance. Unfortunately even panning in software or level controls in the software never really “fix” the issue since the driver has different responses across the spectrum but usually it’s “good enough” for most people. I’ve experienced it in matched microphone pairs as well which is why it was instantly noticeable on first listen for me.

Oh well, they do everything else pretty good, maybe if they add some panning in the software it will become less noticeable. Either way I think I’m going to keep them since the other options also have their faults.

Nov 3, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #1,596 of 62,449
Lol, I had the same issue. I think it took almost two hours to update.

I agree the M2 is a beautiful product. Wishing you good luck regarding channel balance. In my case, once I changed the gain setting via the app, things started to go downhill...

i haven't experienced channel balance issue yet on the M2, unlike the 65t. may you share what kind of specifics that went downhill after you changed the gain setting?

i only experienced once: when i turned the gain on the app all the way down, it the earpiece suddenly stay silent, even when i tried to turn the gain up again. i have to put it back on the case for it to restart, then it would sound again. that was the only instance though, haven't found any trouble again

Nov 3, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,597 of 62,449
i haven't experienced channel balance issue yet on the M2, unlike the 65t. may you share what kind of specifics that went downhill after you changed the gain setting?

i only experienced once: when i turned the gain on the app all the way down, it the earpiece suddenly stay silent, even when i tried to turn the gain up again. i have to put it back on the case for it to restart, then it would sound again. that was the only instance though, haven't found any trouble again

Here's the post that summarizes my impressions:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/goi...are-we-there-yet.861024/page-97#post-14554804

I changed the gain settings in the app to one step below max, because otherwise they would play too silently on some classical recordings. After that they started losing the gain balance on numerous occasions. It seemed to me as if they had trouble keeping the gain in sync between both earpieces, one track would play in correct balance and all at once the next track would have one channel louder than the other. I even downloaded and installed their beta app, which helped getting the earpieces back to sync without having to put them back into the case for restart. But in the end, the imbalance issue happend too frequently and I ran out of patience and returned them.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,598 of 62,449
On the 65t imbalance I've been playing with the settings on my computer (Win10 PC) to try to center the voice on music tracks and...it's not that easy. It seems the brain adapts to a slight imbalance so you have to exaggerate the shift and then work your way back. Anyway with 50 on the right I get the voice just about centered with 40 for the left. Now I do feel that for some reason the imbalance is worse on my computer than on my Android. I'm not aware of a setting to change the balance on an Android though (some Samsung phones have a native setting for that apparently). I also hear some hiss in the left ear on my computer when no audio is played that's not there with my Android.

With my Jabra Elite Sport it's the other way around but less so, I need 50 on the left and 47 on the right to achieve balance. Oddly the "imbalance" seems similar with them on my computer and my Android.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #1,599 of 62,449
That would drive me up a damn wall. Not sure I could ever tolerate it if I had that in mine.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,600 of 62,449
So, I'm gonna send back my Jabras. I just can't make a call work well with these, I tried positioning them differently, rotating them further down, etc..., but if I need to pull one out of my ear and hold it to my mouth to make a phone call that can clearly be understood... well, that seems to defeat the point of having a handsfree true-wireless solution. I'm thinking of going back to the Bragi offerings for me. The sound was a bit sterile when I used "the headphone", but passable. Does anyone have any experience with the Dash or the Dash Pro?

I fully acknowledge that I may have got a lemon, as others have very positive things to say about cal quality with the Jabra.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,601 of 62,449
In Android Oreo, if you go to settings/accesibility/hearing, there is a system wide pan control. This is how I compensate for the channel imbalance on my Elite Actives. Pretty bad for me, I have to go 70/30 Biased to the right for the image to be center. Gonna try to automate this by using Tasker

On the 65t imbalance I've been playing with the settings on my computer (Win10 PC) to try to center the voice on music tracks and...it's not that easy. It seems the brain adapts to a slight imbalance so you have to exaggerate the shift and then work your way back. Anyway with 50 on the right I get the voice just about centered with 40 for the left. Now I do feel that for some reason the imbalance is worse on my computer than on my Android. I'm not aware of a setting to change the balance on an Android though (some Samsung phones have a native setting for that apparently). I also hear some hiss in the left ear on my computer when no audio is played that's not there with my Android.

With my Jabra Elite Sport it's the other way around but less so, I need 50 on the left and 47 on the right to achieve balance. Oddly the "imbalance" seems similar with them on my computer and my Android.

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,602 of 62,449
Interesting thanks, I'm expecting a new Oreo phone anytime now so I'l experiment :wink: 70/30 is indeed pretty bad, did you find a test file to help with the centering (I looked on YT but didn't really find anything) or are you just using music ?

Nov 4, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #1,605 of 62,449
nope no special test tracks or anything. I wasn't going for accurate, just wanted it to sound balanced to me so just did it by ear. Just watched this youtube video with center channel speech audio but anything should do

I think the panning option should be in Android Nougat and Marshmallow

Interesting thanks, I'm expecting a new Oreo phone anytime now so I'l experiment :wink: 70/30 is indeed pretty bad, did you find a test file to help with the centering (I looked on YT but didn't really find anything) or are you just using music ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back