Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 29, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,561 of 62,438
Wow - they fixed the lag issue. That's good news. That and the general goofyness of the design and implementation are what drove me away.

I definitely feel like a doofus wearing the things because they stick out SO much, but I can deal with that. Everything else seems to be where I need it to be, so I'm gonna call 'em a winner.

I did notice while walking the dog that wind can be one hell of an annoyance, but that's not really unique to these I don't think.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,562 of 62,438
The Bose are a nice product. SQ is excellent in a quiet environment. I think Bose has a few gremlins in these though from sound imbalance, to perhaps insufficient sweat proofing. Bose customer service is excellent though and they never gave me a hard time about exchanges. I gave up after my 3rd pair died. Multipoint BT pairs is a really nice feature as well that I haven't seen on others.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,564 of 62,438
More info on the Audio Technica ATH-CKR7TW! sounds promising...

Hi all, I am between the Momentum True Wireless and the ATH-CKR7TW.
I've just received an email from AT with more info and it looks promising (hopefully no drop out between earbuds as they also use BT rather than NFMI):

"Hi
Thanks for your email, and for your potential interest in the ATH-CKR7TW. Please find the answers to your questions as follows:

• The ATH-CKR7TW is not certified for IPx, as we only go through this registration process for our sports headphones (such as the ATH-SPORT7TW equivalent, which is IPX5). This being said, the CKR7TW should be OK to use for lighter sports activities where you would expect to perspire. We would not recommend rinsing the CKR7TW under the tap after use, which can be achieved with the SPORT7TW.
  • The two earbuds connect to each other using bluetooth, so that the data that is sent to the Left (master) is the same data then forwarded to the Right, to avoid multiple conversions.
  • Audio-Technica Connect app:
    • Transparent Hearing
    • Volume and Playback Controls
    • Locator service (still in development)
    • Battery indicator
    • Codec selection
    • Voice Assistant setup
      • EQ settings are not currently available on the app.
  • The CKR7TW do not have Comply tips provided in the box - the SPORT7TW do. Comply tips are compatible with the CKR7TW, so these can be purchased separately if they are a requirement.
  • It will be possible to perform firmware updates through the Connect app in the future, as and when updates become available.
  • We would need to confirm with R&D, but to our knowledge at this time, the CKR7TW do not have AptX Low Latency support or capability, so we are unable to suggest this may be available in the future at this time.
  • We are currently expecting the ATH-CKR7TW to arrive into Europe around mid-December, but won't have firm dates until the products are ready for shipment.
I hope this can answer your query, but if you do have any outstanding questions please don't hesitate to contact us again.
Best regards,
Tom"

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #1,566 of 62,438
The CKR7TW should be launched in Japan in Nov, so hopefully, more reviews before they reach Europe.
The SQ from IFA listeners seems promising (with DAC, 11mm driver, etc). They are marketed as Hi-Fi (SR on the Japanese site).
I will wait for them and hopefully, they will come just on-time for Xmas !!!
The spec looks great for me, just hope there won't be any drop out between earbuds as they use the BT and not NFMI.
Left Master is great as I will connect them to my watch (on the left wrist).
I might invest in some Comply foam to get a perfect seal and noise isolation.
I will still consider the Momentum TW and review when they are out, but so far the balance is tilting towards the AT side.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #1,567 of 62,438
The CKR7TW should be launched in Japan in Nov, so hopefully, more reviews before they reach Europe.
The SQ from IFA listeners seems promising (with DAC, 11mm driver, etc). They are marketed as Hi-Fi (SR on the Japanese site).
I will wait for them and hopefully, they will come just on-time for Xmas !!!
The spec looks great for me, just hope there won't be any drop out between earbuds as they use the BT and not NFMI.
Left Master is great as I will connect them to my watch (on the left wrist).
I might invest in some Comply foam to get a perfect seal and noise isolation.
I will still consider the Momentum TW and review when they are out, but so far the balance is tilting towards the AT side.
Look promising but also delayed. I was told early November over month ago for US release. Lack of sweat proofing is a complete deal breaker.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #1,569 of 62,438
Look promising but also delayed. I was told early November over month ago for US release. Lack of sweat proofing is a complete deal breaker.

Someone else (on tweeter) also had a reply from AT with a "End of Nov" date for Germany. Perhaps they are being conservative with the date (in case they sold out in other countries first). They will be able to commit to a firm date, once shipments have been allocated by countries...
If my "translated Japanese" is correct, I believe they will be launched in Japan mid-Nov. I have seen the date of 19th Nov. So, we should see some real life review at some point in the near future.
If you want pure sweat and weather-proofing then you have to look at the Sport7TW which are resistant to water jet IPx5 (rain, rinse under the tap etc).
I think they are targeting 2 different markets with 2 devices:
- the Audiophile (commuters etc) with the CKR7TW
- the active sporty people with the SPORT7TW
Makes sense to me.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #1,570 of 62,438
Someone else (on tweeter) also had a reply from AT with a "End of Nov" date for Germany. Perhaps they are being conservative with the date (in case they sold out in other countries first). They will be able to commit to a firm date, once shipments have been allocated by countries...
If my "translated Japanese" is correct, I believe they will be launched in Japan mid-Nov. I have seen the date of 19th Nov. So, we should see some real life review at some point in the near future.
If you want pure sweat and weather-proofing then you have to look at the Sport7TW which are resistant to water jet IPx5 (rain, rinse under the tap etc).
I think they are targeting 2 different markets with 2 devices:
- the Audiophile (commuters etc) with the CKR7TW
- the active sporty people with the SPORT7TW
Makes sense to me.
Yeah but I want the SQ and driver tech of the CKR7TW in a sweat proof version. While I understand the marketing strategy, even the Senns and the M&D MW07 offer basic sweatproofing. I can't imagine anyone buying TW buds with zero intention of using them for exercise. Seems like the #1 intended purpose of a TW IEM would be for some level of active use. I understand the marketing strategy and the jury is out on how different the SQ is between the two models, but I wish someone would put SQ first in a TW device that has some sweat proofing. Maybe the Senns will pull it off. Also (rant time), I continue to be annoyed with companies announcing things months before they are available for release and offering no release date. The MW07 was announced and launched same day. I wish more manufacturers would take notice of how to properly release a product. At a minimum, don't announce until you have a fixed date and stick with it.

Edit: FWIW, Audio46 website claims 11/1-11/15 for US arrival.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #1,571 of 62,438
Bose Soundsport Free comments. I’m not quoting the post above but I agree with almost everything ‘SomeGuyDude’ said earlier. Yes the first time I updated the firmware it took forever. The easy way to update Firmware on a Bose product is to go to btu.bose.com. The buttons on the buds were disappointing until I decided to practice with them a bit. It takes a very firm press but I no longer have them shift around when using the on-board controls. I have had mine 5-6 months with only one dropout. The buds do not fall out and do a fair job of shutting the outside world out. Now, the new Bose Masking Sleepbuds come with the very same style of Eartip but made from a softer and more flexible rubber. This new Bose Ear tip really does a great job of sealing out the outside world. I haven’t asked Bose if these are available for the Soundsport Free. Could be too floppy.
Aside from the ‘problem’ of phone calls only being heard in one earbud, The biggest complaint I’ve read about the Soundsport Free is (envelope please) “They stick out too far and I might look stupid” I don’t embarrass easily and when I do get embarrassed I don’t mind laughing along with the joke. First if you wear any of these things you will look a bit silly. Second I like the Bose look. Reminds me of some exotic science fiction device. As far as I’m concerned we are all are walking around gesturing on slates of glass so the Bose fit right in.
y2nYc9

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,572 of 62,438
Agreed. When I say they look goofy that's definitely not, to me, a dealbreaker. I can understand if it's something as absolutely insane as the AKG K1000 or Jecklyn Float, but I'm not buying these earbuds as a fashion statement. They're for a secure fit, good sound, and solid features. Bose nails 'em all. I still like the "deep" feel of the Sony more, but oddly enough (after back-n-forthing them) I found the Sony actually more liable to shift around in the ear with heavy movement despite the deeper insertion and purer seal.

It does irk me that the Bose use a proprietary tip, I think that's a little... shall we say... on the scummy side. Fortunately they work well so I'm not going to complain too much.

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,573 of 62,438
So, I got my Jabra Elite Actives yesterday. They're very nice. Work well in the gym and those things are not shaking loose even when I'm sprinting. SQ is okay, nothing amazing, but tweaking the EQ curve in the app helps substantially. Passthrough is nice. My main complaint is that the microphone for calls is terrible. Multiple people I've called today have remarked how badly it sounds (it sounds like a tin can / am I on speaker across the room? / Is your phone broken? / I can barely hear you/understand you, etc..) Is that par for the course? The first set of TW I had was the Bragi "the headphone". They lacked in many places, however, their microphone never brought out that response. They advertise it as a "bone mic". Am I missing something with these jabras? I definitely couldn't use these to make calls for business/work.

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #1,574 of 62,438
So, I got my Jabra Elite Actives yesterday. They're very nice. Work well in the gym and those things are not shaking loose even when I'm sprinting. SQ is okay, nothing amazing, but tweaking the EQ curve in the app helps substantially. Passthrough is nice. My main complaint is that the microphone for calls is terrible. Multiple people I've called today have remarked how badly it sounds (it sounds like a tin can / am I on speaker across the room? / Is your phone broken? / I can barely hear you/understand you, etc..) Is that par for the course? The first set of TW I had was the Bragi "the headphone". They lacked in many places, however, their microphone never brought out that response. They advertise it as a "bone mic". Am I missing something with these jabras? I definitely couldn't use these to make calls for business/work.

had that issue before when the ear tips were pushing the buds out more but fix it when i adjust the angling of the mic INWARDS lower down toward the jawline. if you have the mics around 45 degrees or towards your mouth slightly outwards it would pick up all sort of crappy noises and make it sound thin.

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #1,575 of 62,438
I have regular 65t elites and do a lot of business conference calls. Never heard any complaints from anybody on the other end. Maybe Jabras and your phone don’t like each other?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back