Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,456 of 62,436
There's a pitiful irony in an audio company deciding that implementing a higher quality codec isn't a "priority feature."

Interesting that AAC is showing as active in developer options... I wonder if the chipset has AAC in it but they didn't pay for the license so they can't advertise it... I agree, strange marketing move by an Audio first company.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,460 of 62,436
Took the plunge on the 65T Active at the ebay Jabra refurbished price of $125. Couldn't resist. I can see why the get favorable reviews across the board - they seem to do many things well and probably better than average . Fit is quite good. I have trouble without stabilizers but these survived my first workout without slipping. Design and finish are very nice. Pairing was a breeze. Case is a nice size and although haven't gotten that far yet, battery life is above average. Now, on to SQ. I wasn't wowed. Definitely a more balanced approach to sound than the Bose and Sony. I would call the SQ good. It wasn't terrible. Decent low end. Highs were a little muted. Biggest issue to me is that they lack a little punch. This may be a good thing to some but to me, it left something to be desired. In terms of pure SQ, the Bose and Sony beat these by a decent margin . I will probably keep them around for the low price I paid and because they have many other positive qualities. But the search for the end game TW continues ...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,461 of 62,436
I personally use the sp700n for the gym but the Jabra make a good launching-off point. Sorta like how one's impression of the HD650 makes a good indicator of where to go after that.
I really do hear great things about the sp700. I just am not a fan of the form factor. Too big. That's why I'm trying to decide between the jabra and the Samsung Gear Icon X. Good reviews and feature set in a more attractive form factor and size (for me).

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,462 of 62,436
I really do hear great things about the sp700. I just am not a fan of the form factor. Too big. That's why I'm trying to decide between the jabra and the Samsung Gear Icon X. Good reviews and feature set in a more attractive form factor and size (for me).

I mean... they're just stuck in your ears. So what if they're kinda big? You'll sacrifice sound quality because of the aesthetic of something you can't see?

Besides, they ain't that big.

22UJPV3l.jpg

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,463 of 62,436
That's a fair enough point. Maybe it does come across as a bit vain. I also just don't like the feel of them hanging out of my ears I guess. I've been using custom IEM's for about 10 years now and I'm just used to that low-profile feel. Even using cans bugs me sometimes. Maybe I need to try them on again and give 'em another shot!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #1,464 of 62,436

The are not big, in pics they look huge, but in person not so much.

I own all 3 you speak of here so I can maybe help a little. I am gonna rate them for you 1 being best 3 being least best.

I am comparing the samsung iconx 2018, jabra 65t active, Sony sp700n. I'm leaving out the sony wf1000x and jabra elite sport they are the older models and I figure you want advice on the new stuff. Here we go!

Sound- 1=sony easily, 2=jabra close 2nd, 3=samsung
Controls- 1=samsung love touch controls, 2=jabra, 3=sony
Fit- they all fit equally well, comfortable and do not fall out.sony and samsung go deeper in ear.
App-these all have excellent apps that work very well. Samsung has a great coach, jabra has a nice eq, sony noise cancelling control in app is so good.
Battery life-1=jabra easily, 2=samsung, 3=sony
Build quality- 1=samsung good feeling plastic,
2= jabra and Sony use a cheap feeling plastics.
Connection strength- I have great connection with all three, but I think samsung might be a smidge better with samsung note 8.
Case- 1=samsung case is great it locks closed 2= I dont like either sonys nor jabra case. Sony case is cheap feeling lid could break, jabra's case top lid doesn't lock, if you drop the case the buds will go flying everywhere and its shape is very slippery in hand.
Charging time- 1=jabra fast charge usb-c, 2=samsung USB-C 3=sony regular USB

I own a few sets because I like something in all of them, so I constantly rotate them. Just like regular headphones you cant just have one.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #1,465 of 62,436
The are not big, in pics they look huge, but in person not so much.

I own all 3 you speak of here so I can maybe help a little. I am gonna rate them for you 1 being best 3 being least best.

I am comparing the samsung iconx 2018, jabra 65t active, Sony sp700n. I'm leaving out the sony wf1000x and jabra elite sport they are the older models and I figure you want advice on the new stuff. Here we go!

Sound- 1=sony easily, 2=jabra close 2nd, 3=samsung
Controls- 1=samsung love touch controls, 2=jabra, 3=sony
Fit- they all fit equally well, comfortable and do not fall out.sony and samsung go deeper in ear.
App-these all have excellent apps that work very well. Jabra might be slightly better because of eq.
Battery life-1=jabra easily, 2=samsung, 3=sony
Build quality- 1=samsung good feeling plastic,
2= jabra and Sony use a cheap feeling plastics.
Connection strength- I have great connection with all three, but I think samsung might be a smidge better with samsung note 8.
Case- 1=samsung case is great it locks closed 2= I dont like either sonys nor jabra case. Sony case is cheap feeling lid could break, jabra's case top lid doesn't lock, if you drop the case the buds will go flying everywhere and its shape is very slippery in hand.
Charging time- 1=jabra fast charge usb-c, 2=samsung USB-C 3=sony regular USB
Although I haven't tried the Sony, your ranking seems agreable in regards to everything other than SQ.

For those like the Sony, is it the bass and treble being standouts? Perhaps, most V-shaped out of the bunch? The measurements show peaks in the treble, and a bit too much bass. Doesn't look balanced. I think even IconX comes off more balanced. Graphs don't tell all, but they tell us treble peaks and too much of stuff.

Sony sp700n
frequency-response-graph (15).png

Samsung IconX
frequency-response-graph (16).png

Jabra Elite Active
frequency-response-graph (17).png

Jabra and IconX have similarities in response

BeatsX
frequency-response-graph (18).png

I find top 3 of what I've heard to be Jabra Elite Active, Samsung IconX, and BeatsX.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #1,466 of 62,436
Sony definitely have bass, but it's good bass not bloated or over done. Very clear good separation, wide and deep stage. Jabra sound good too close to sony but sony sound clearer more separation. Samsung are clear, but sound a little flat, closed in, no separation.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,468 of 62,436

i would take that review with a grain of salt. there is no reference comparison. a decent review would have included how it compares to other TWE. especially A/B testing on SQ.
feels like a paid marketing write up. they missed out that you need to tap the buds 3 times just to get the volume down one bar. you'll be tapping your ear like a reject for 20sec just to get the volume turned down lol that alone would put off most of the people who are in the market.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #1,470 of 62,436
i would take that review with a grain of salt. there is no reference comparison. a decent review would have included how it compares to other TWE. especially A/B testing on SQ.
feels like a paid marketing write up. they missed out that you need to tap the buds 3 times just to get the volume down one bar. you'll be tapping your ear like a reject for 20sec just to get the volume turned down lol that alone would put off most of the people who are in the market.

In case you have used it, is the volume controllable using the phone volume controls, for e.g, potentially mitigating a nasty user experience?

Vignesh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back