Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 6, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #1,186 of 62,439
Hum...let's see :
1. Go here : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/ - choose the feature you're interested in (isolation sound, etc...)
2. Add a colum for Wireless, check True Wireless
3. Read Up...it will take a while as they've tested about anything you can imagine...and more ! Best info available on the internet AFAIK and they add new headphones regularly.
Any specific questions, fire away here and I'm sure people will be happy to help.

Is that what i asked for lol!

Look - i simply asked if someone with a passion and knowledge in this field, had time on their hands to put together a complete list on this topic. My work is weather related so i could possibly do it myself but by the looks of it, couldn't get to it for a few weeks. For someone here that is retired/semi retired, they may want to tackle it which would be great. Still believe it would be useful info all tied into one post!

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,187 of 62,439
really like that website webvan, plenty of info there. opinion backed up with data which is exactly what reviews should be. most current (mainstream) true wireless are there. i always wonder about the ones i see on ebay and how the cheap ones compare. usually i pass on the unknown.

Oct 6, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #1,188 of 62,439
Sure !

Is that what i asked for lol!

Look - i simply asked if someone with a passion and knowledge in this field, had time on their hands to put together a complete list on this topic. My work is weather related so i could possibly do it myself but by the looks of it, couldn't get to it for a few weeks. For someone here that is retired/semi retired, they may want to tackle it which would be great. Still believe it would be useful info all tied into one post!
Great, looks like you forgot to say thanks, anyway...have you even bothered following the link and filtering out the Truly Wireless earbuds to see what's available or are you still on your little "wow the internet is cool, let me find an expert who's going to come up with an executive summary for me and maybe he can be rewarded with a sticky" trip ?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,189 of 62,439
Sure !

Great, looks like you forgot to say thanks, anyway...have you even bothered following the link and filtering out the Truly Wireless earbuds to see what's available or are you still on your little "wow the internet is cool, let me find an expert who's going to come up with an executive summary for me and maybe he can be rewarded with a sticky" trip ?

I'll bite my tongue and play nice!

You seem to crave gratitude so yes, Thank You and YES, I did check that out but are you saying that there are only 11 Truly Wireless products on the market? That's all they have listed! The purpose of my comment was to create and have an "Ongoing, Continually Updated List" of ALL Truly Wireless Products on the market or ones that are close to being released to the market. All in one place so it's easy to compare them all in price, battery life, features, etc instead of having to peruse 80 pages of a thread for tidbits here and there. Anyways, Enjoy Your Weekend!

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,190 of 62,439
Update in the master and dynamic mw07. These are sweet sounding earphones. Unfortunately the left bud suffers from hiss. Only in the left bud. According to support this is normal but it can be heard in soft music passages which is too bad. Mine are going back for this. At 300 I don't want hiss. My sonys don't do this.

Oct 7, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,191 of 62,439
Nuheara IQbuds Boost

I bought a set of Nuheara IQbuds Boost wireless earbuds. This is one of the ‘new breed’ of ‘Intelligent wireless earbuds’ that allow you to blend in the outside world in with your music, podcast, or whatever. You need to download their companion App. Nuheara makes a big deal about their Ear I.D. Audiometric Personalization. So what that means is that first time out of the box you can choose to take a hearing test. A real one like in your Audiologist office. Tones in each ear. Tap when you hear the tone. From what I read, Nuheara in Australia, licensed an official known and in-use everywhere test. And paid a bunch of money to get it. So if you buy these, take the test. I took dozens of similar tests at NAMM administered by the House Ear Clinic in L.A. So cool, you can take the test as much as you want. You can also toggle the results on and off. You are going to want it on. The earbuds adjust themselves to your personal test. It works! The test does not give you a Medical result. This is not a medical device. But it can give you super hearing. The big deal about this type of earbud is that it allows you to blend in the outside world. Sounds like a ho-hum gimmick. Nope! This is great. Using the App you can craft four profiles for letting the outside world in. You choose the ratio between your music and the outside world. EQ the outside world from bass to treble. Even focus on sounds on front, rejecting side sounds. So they are called Boost and yes you can boost the outside world and EQ it for some really enhanced hearing. And then it hit me. “I can EQ the outside world” Double Rainbow man! You can store four presets. Tap to swap. Tap and hold to shut the world out.

So just as Wireless Earbuds these are sensational. Music sounds balanced and detailed with ample tight bass. The App nor any of the other Hearing Trickery affect the sound of the music / audio being played. You can have your music pretty cranked and still hear what’s going on around you and hold conversations. There are three Tap Controls for each earpiece. Left Tap, Left Double Tap and Left Long Tap. Same thing for the Right hand side. You get to program what each of the six tap choices does. Very Nice. Programmable Tap controls. Okay! Next is how stable is the connection? I have been using these since June 2018. It’s now October. Been testing and listening for a while. I wore these at the Del Mar Fair. It is a gigantic hot bed of every type of electronic interference possible. My iPhone 6-S hanging on my hip the IQbuds were rock solid. Like a wired connection. The other bonus was setting up a preset for conversation in a noisy environment. A gigantic county fair is noisy. With my tunes in the background, conversation with my companions was loud and clear.

I didn’t mean this review to go on so long. So my Review in a nutshell is, the IQbuds Boost do what they purport to do and do it much better than I would have thought possible. They are great sounding earbuds that remind me of my HD600’s with a bit more bass. They have a nice soundstage. Now here is something interesting. If I let some of the outside world in, the soundstage gets wider. Like open back headphones. But these do not do that acoustically but with microphones. I may be full of it. These work great for phone calls and it’s in both ears. You get large and small Comply tips and fours sets of Round tips and four sets of Oval. Comfy and they don’t fall out. You are more active than I am. Trust me. The charging case has a strong magnetic catch. You have to make sure the contact points seat to charge the buds. No magnets like Bose. Pricey! I paid $399 early bird sale down from a whopping $499. Having lived with these for several months I would pay the $499. I use all the features in a variety of situations. I am certain we are going to see a boatload of similar featured products.

Oct 7, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #1,192 of 62,439
Nuheara IQbuds Boost

So they are called Boost and yes you can boost the outside world and EQ it for some really enhanced hearing. And then it hit me. “I can EQ the outside world” Double Rainbow man! You can store four presets. Tap to swap. Tap and hold to shut the world out.

nice info. how well do they work with noise cancellation? or does it just have passive NC?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 6:07 AM Post #1,193 of 62,439
Nuheara IQbuds Boost

I bought a set of Nuheara IQbuds Boost wireless earbuds. This is one of the ‘new breed’ of ‘Intelligent wireless earbuds’ that allow you to blend in the outside world in with your music, podcast, or whatever. You need to download their companion App. Nuheara makes a big deal about their Ear I.D. Audiometric Personalization. So what that means is that first time out of the box you can choose to take a hearing test. A real one like in your Audiologist office. Tones in each ear. Tap when you hear the tone. From what I read, Nuheara in Australia, licensed an official known and in-use everywhere test. And paid a bunch of money to get it. So if you buy these, take the test. I took dozens of similar tests at NAMM administered by the House Ear Clinic in L.A. So cool, you can take the test as much as you want. You can also toggle the results on and off. You are going to want it on. The earbuds adjust themselves to your personal test. It works! The test does not give you a Medical result. This is not a medical device. But it can give you super hearing. The big deal about this type of earbud is that it allows you to blend in the outside world. Sounds like a ho-hum gimmick. Nope! This is great. Using the App you can craft four profiles for letting the outside world in. You choose the ratio between your music and the outside world. EQ the outside world from bass to treble. Even focus on sounds on front, rejecting side sounds. So they are called Boost and yes you can boost the outside world and EQ it for some really enhanced hearing. And then it hit me. “I can EQ the outside world” Double Rainbow man! You can store four presets. Tap to swap. Tap and hold to shut the world out.

So just as Wireless Earbuds these are sensational. Music sounds balanced and detailed with ample tight bass. The App nor any of the other Hearing Trickery affect the sound of the music / audio being played. You can have your music pretty cranked and still hear what’s going on around you and hold conversations. There are three Tap Controls for each earpiece. Left Tap, Left Double Tap and Left Long Tap. Same thing for the Right hand side. You get to program what each of the six tap choices does. Very Nice. Programmable Tap controls. Okay! Next is how stable is the connection? I have been using these since June 2018. It’s now October. Been testing and listening for a while. I wore these at the Del Mar Fair. It is a gigantic hot bed of every type of electronic interference possible. My iPhone 6-S hanging on my hip the IQbuds were rock solid. Like a wired connection. The other bonus was setting up a preset for conversation in a noisy environment. A gigantic county fair is noisy. With my tunes in the background, conversation with my companions was loud and clear.

I didn’t mean this review to go on so long. So my Review in a nutshell is, the IQbuds Boost do what they purport to do and do it much better than I would have thought possible. They are great sounding earbuds that remind me of my HD600’s with a bit more bass. They have a nice soundstage. Now here is something interesting. If I let some of the outside world in, the soundstage gets wider. Like open back headphones. But these do not do that acoustically but with microphones. I may be full of it. These work great for phone calls and it’s in both ears. You get large and small Comply tips and fours sets of Round tips and four sets of Oval. Comfy and they don’t fall out. You are more active than I am. Trust me. The charging case has a strong magnetic catch. You have to make sure the contact points seat to charge the buds. No magnets like Bose. Pricey! I paid $399 early bird sale down from a whopping $499. Having lived with these for several months I would pay the $499. I use all the features in a variety of situations. I am certain we are going to see a boatload of similar featured products.

Thanks very much for this review! It was definitely not too long for me. There are a lot of things I've been wondering about these, including the effectiveness of the boost, the effectiveness of the focus-on-front feature, the SQ, the EQ, and the stability of the connection — and you covered them all. So thanks again — this was hugely useful for me.

My remaining main question has to do with fit. I have hard-to-fit ears, and nearly always need aftermarket eartips. So my remaining questions are, 1) do you think the IQBuds are bulky enough to make fit more difficult than average, for hard-to-fit ears? And 2) does the charging case look like it would accommodate larger eartips than the supplied ones, or would it fail to close or to charge? I'd be grateful for any thoughts you have.

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #1,194 of 62,439
nice info. how well do they work with noise cancellation? or does it just have passive NC?
Probably just passive, they have some LiveIQ Earbuds coming out in Q4 2018 that look promising : https://www.nuheara.com/liveiq/ and probably more adapted for music listening as opposed to acting as a hearing aid and hopefully a bit cheaper as a result !

Oct 7, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #1,195 of 62,439
The IQbuds Boost do not feature any type of ANC or Noise Cancellation that I am aware of. Just passive. I have a set of Bose QC20’s in ear with NC. So I am aware of buds with NC. I am not missing it on these with all it’s features.
I’m not sure NC would be compatible with all the other electronic nonsense going on. Or, I’ve got it! Wait for version II

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,196 of 62,439
Thanks very much for this review! It was definitely not too long for me. There are a lot of things I've been wondering about these, including the effectiveness of the boost, the effectiveness of the focus-on-front feature, the SQ, the EQ, and the stability of the connection — and you covered them all. So thanks again — this was hugely useful for me.

My remaining main question has to do with fit. I have hard-to-fit ears, and nearly always need aftermarket eartips. So my remaining questions are, 1) do you think the IQBuds are bulky enough to make fit more difficult than average, for hard-to-fit ears? And 2) does the charging case look like it would accommodate larger eartips than the supplied ones, or would it fail to close or to charge? I'd be grateful for any thoughts you have.
I usually use the size marked L. Large. IQbuds includes 10 sets. I am using the largest Oval set provided. And Comply tips are included. Many time Comply is too large for other cases. I think the case will fit larger tips than provided. I find I really have to press a bit to make a secure charging connection. There is still a bit of space in the Ear tip space. In fact larger tips could tip the bud forward making for a better charging connection. The magnetic catch that closes the case is a beast and will press down on larger tips easily.
Okay, once again TMI. I could have just said ‘Yeah the case will close on anything. Get the biggest Comply tips out there and have fun”

Oct 7, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,197 of 62,439
Probably just passive, they have some LiveIQ Earbuds coming out in Q4 2018 that look promising : https://www.nuheara.com/liveiq/ and probably more adapted for music listening as opposed to acting as a hearing aid and hopefully a bit cheaper as a result !
I had not seen this new Liveiq teaser before. Thank you for the link. In another reply I said (blah blah blah) and concluded with. Just wait for version 2. Yup, corporations are always an easy read and I guess I was correct. (Yay for me) Yes the IQbuds Boost is a different animal. Looks like the same shape housing. I can’t quote where I read it but I understand Nuheara paid dearly to license the hearing test provided. It’s part of the beastly cost of these Boost buds. If that test is provided with the Liveiq buds they may be a monster music choice. I have a set of Bose Soundsport Free buds. They have more Bass and is a warmer ‘fun’ signature. I also have many other earbuds, Sennheiser wireless but tethered and blah, blah, blah many earbuds. I know what wireless sounds like first hand. (Golf clap) The IQbuds Boost are my first choice for music. Yet their NC revolves around letting the outside be heard, and what it sounds like, how much of it do you hear. But when you lock the outside out, then you are just in a passive NC ’mode’. Gee whiz! The new Liveiq solve a ‘Feature Gap’ at a different price point. Surprise!

Oct 7, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,198 of 62,439
A couple of points. I’m not a walking billboard for the IQbuds Boost. These things ain’t for everybody i’m sure. I have a friend who is an Audiologist. One of the Dr’s who invented cochlear implants. Worked at the House Ear Clinic in the L.A. area and is now doing research at UCLA. A rock star in the hearing impaired world. Several years ago he told me of an Australian company doing research on devices for Tinnitus and headphones(sic) for music with advanced hearing features. This was Years ago! So the IQbuds Boost were not cooked up by the marketing department but are, ahem, the Real Deal or at least an honest effort :) My curiosity made me buy a pair of these.
I keep reading that these are a Hearing Aid. These are not classified as a Medical Device. They are not a Hearing Aid period. But yes they can be an aid to hearing. Nuheara is marketing them as an aid to hear the TV and Triple Blah marketing in that direction. Even I liked them in a crowded convention hall to dial in conversations. Nice to hear not only the person you are talking to but conversations around you while cancelling out all the background noise in the convention hall ands have Lady Gaga singing away.
Perhaps they are a pair of Night Vision Goggles for your ears. Hey! My new stage name. Lady Goggles.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #1,199 of 62,439
I usually use the size marked L. Large. IQbuds includes 10 sets. I am using the largest Oval set provided. And Comply tips are included. Many time Comply is too large for other cases. I think the case will fit larger tips than provided. I find I really have to press a bit to make a secure charging connection. There is still a bit of space in the Ear tip space. In fact larger tips could tip the bud forward making for a better charging connection. The magnetic catch that closes the case is a beast and will press down on larger tips easily.
Okay, once again TMI. I could have just said ‘Yeah the case will close on anything. Get the biggest Comply tips out there and have fun”
Thanks very much!

(Actually the largest Comply tips still aren't right for me. There are only a couple out there that are. I've ordered a set of Nuheara's largest silicone tips to see if they're at least in the ballpark, and Nuheara's fitting page mentions Snugs, so presumably they have a template for the IQBuds (though probably they would have to be removed before charging, but at least it's an option.)

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #1,200 of 62,439
Follow-up answer:

""For the design of the TrueConnect, we understand that the majority of users will be using streaming services for their music and almost all streaming services are not aptX compatible so we have chosen to use SBC codex, this also allows the device to be more compact and more beneficial to battery performance.

This is a terribly misinformed answer imo. Bluetooth audio transmission does ALWAYS involve re-encoding (to SBC, AAC, aptX, ...), so it really doesn't matter which codec the streaming service uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back