Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 19, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #511 of 62,436
well this sucks I found a site that shows the codecs that head phones use and the iconx2018 and the jabras old and new versions don't use any special codecs, except only Sony's, they do but I sold my Sony's due to poor battery life connection problems outdoors compared to the Samsung and Jabras. The Sony's sound was excellent already I could imagine with ldac how much better they could sound, anyone test this?

https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/a/samsung-gear-iconx-2018/jabra-elite-65t

https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/a/jaybird-x3/sony-wi-1000x

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #512 of 62,436
well this sucks I found a site that shows the codecs that head phones use and the iconx2018 and the jabras old and new versions don't use any special codecs, except only Sony's, they do but I sold my Sony's due to poor battery life connection problems outdoors compared to the Samsung and Jabras. The Sony's sound was excellent already I could imagine with ldac how much better they could sound, anyone test this?

https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/a/samsung-gear-iconx-2018/jabra-elite-65t

https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/a/jaybird-x3/sony-wi-1000x
To my ears, LDAC is not like a dramatic difference compare to AAC or AptX (320kbs or flac files). You might notice a little bit more soundstage and a bit brighter. The battery and connection are worse than the other codecs. In my case, it's not worth the trade-off.
Right now I'm also quite satisfied with the Jabra 65T as I gave my iconx 2018 and Sony's to my family.
BTW, have anyone tried the Dash Pro?

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #513 of 62,436
Guys
Very good discussion. Lots to learn. Thank you for all the shared info.

If your #1 criteria to select your headphone was "background sound isolating microphones", so you sound great when on the phone in a noisy environment, which one would you pick?

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #514 of 62,436
Anyone come across an aliexpress model that doesn't cut out? My QCY Q29 Pros would be perfectly suitable for podcasts if they didn't cut out in the city when I put my phone* in my pocket.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #515 of 62,436
Anyone come across an aliexpress model that doesn't cut out? My QCY Q29 Pros would be perfectly suitable for podcasts if they didn't cut out in the city when I put them in my pocket.

Why are you worried about the phones cutting out when they are not in your ear ?

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #516 of 62,436
Why are you worried about the phones cutting out when they are not in your ear ?

Woops, poor phrasing! Meant my phone.

The range to my phone is pretty reasonable indoors, but in the city I often have to hold it in my hand to get a clear signal.

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #518 of 62,436
Anyone come across an aliexpress model that doesn't cut out? My QCY Q29 Pros would be perfectly suitable for podcasts if they didn't cut out in the city when I put my phone* in my pocket.
I did get the qcy t1 and its rubbish, left (slave) side disconnects outside or while walking. Paid 29$ for it, complained and got 15$ back.
Works fine as mono earbuds.

Did get the jabra 65t and could not be happier. After what little I have read, it looks like all those tws clones have the same problem of keeping a connection with few drop outs.

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #519 of 62,436
I did get the qcy t1 and its rubbish, left (slave) side disconnects outside or while walking. Paid 29$ for it, complained and got 15$ back.
Works fine as mono earbuds.

Did get the jabra 65t and could not be happier. After what little I have read, it looks like all those tws clones have the same problem of keeping a connection with few drop outs.

Thanks. Yeah I'm leaning towards either 65t or waiting for the Active (IP56 vs IP55 water resistance) although not much difference probably.

Might also wait for Qualcomm's QCC5100, probably around mid this year. Looks like it will enable competitors to catch up with Apple's W1 chip which seems to have a pretty big leg up on battery life:

https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/voice-and-music/features/truewireless

Can I ask if you can configure the buttons on the 65t to skip back/forward X seconds instead of just skip track? Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #521 of 62,436
UPDATE: Added some more images and some info regarding the NFMI connectivity comparison with Jabra 65t.

Hi all! So I purchased the Earin M-2 here in Hong Kong, they are available here for a few months now so I decided to pull the trigger. I've been using them for one week and here are my thoughts.

Comfort, Control, Battery life and Portability:

They are really small and very comfortable. They sit flush in the ears and completely invisible, very low profile. I don't feel any earlobe pain after long use.

The earbud controls are capacitive and touch sensitive. This means a simple light touch on the side is needed instead of a push. This is great because you don't have to push hard which hurt the ears of some if you wanted to pause music. The touch controls are basic, one tap to pause/play or answers calls, two taps for next song or to end call or reject incoming call, three taps for previous song and long press to activate voices assistant.

The charging case is really small (4 inches tall and 0.8 inch widest part). They are very pocketable than the charging case of the Jabra Elite 65t that I own. It’s also made of aluminium adding that premium feel to the touch. Earin have chosen to use micro USB (Micro B), I have no complains but some people might prefer USB C. The charging case has three LED lights to indicate the charge of the case. Inside the case are LED lights for each of the buds. Flashing means its charging and steady means its fully charged. It takes under an hour to fully charge the buds and 1.5 hours to fully charge the case. The earbuds also has LED lights right in the centre of the touch area. When taken out of the case, they flash letting you know its powered on and ready to pair. The ear buds last up to 4 hours on a single charge on a 70% volume and and less than 3 to 2.5 hours when you push the volume around 90% to 100%. I can easily reach 4.5 to 5 hours of play time on lower volumes around 50% which are my normal listening volume for this earbuds. The case provides up to 3 charges.

Connectivity and Pairing:

Although using an old Bluetooth 4.2, connectivity is stable. Similar to my Jabra Elite 65t, the earbuds did not skip connections from my iPhone X even in highly crowded areas and in the train.

There are no left or right labels on the IEMs as they feature an auto channel selection. The buds themselves have built-in accelerometer that helps with the L/R channel auto assign.

Each of the earbuds can both work as a master or slave. Both earbuds contains the CSR chipset (unlike the 65t which is only on the right side), whichever of the earbuds connects to the device first, it will be the master and the other earbud will use its NFMI to communicate with the master earbud. The two earbuds can also be connected to separate Bluetooth devices, and in this way used as single headsets on two devices. The only thing I think

First time pairing process is a bit cumbersome as you need to pair both earbuds to your phone. This is needed for the auto channel selection and for the master and slave swapping to work. To pair the earbuds, you take out one earbud first and pair and then take out the other earbud and pair. When paired, they auto connect to the last paired device automatically. The first earbud to connect the device will be the master and the other earbud will be the slave.

These earbuds feature aptX codec. This is a huge plus for people using Android, but for me as an iOS user, I'm currently fine with AAC on iPhone and aptX on my MacBook Pro.

NFMI connectivity (compared to Jabra 65t):

The NFMI in the Earin is really good, they are using an NFMI chip designed by NXP. Doing research on FCCID website (www.fccid.io), it seems Earin is using a frequency of 10.578Mhz while the Jabra Elite 65t uses 10.6Mhz. The NFMI connection between the earbuds is very stable, the slave earbud never loses connection to the master earbud, while in my 65t the left earbud always loses connection, especially if I go near on places with lots of CFL lights or if I go inside a mobile phone shops with lots of turned on demo phones or in shops with CCTV cameras that uses the 10.6Mhz frequency. The left side of my Jabra Elite 65t is also a lot louder than the right side, however the loudness equalises when I pushed the volume around 80%. On lower volumes, the L/R channel is slightly imbalanced. It could be that my Jabra 65t is defective but trying two pairs of 65t in the store yields the same result. The Earin on the other hand did not have these kinds of problem.

Microphone and Calls:

They feature two microphone per earbud (Similar to the 65t) and one mic is used for noise cancelling during calls. The sensitivity of the mics are a bit on the lower side than the 65t but what impressed me the most if how much noise it blocks out than the 65t. Compared to the 65t, even in a very noisy environment, callers did not here much of the noise and they can clearly here my voice. The 65t on the other hand had some difficulties filtering some of noise.

Only one earbud work for calls. Whichever of the earbuds is the assigned master, this will be the one used for call. This is problematic since if you happen to place the one earbud in your left ear first, that will be the assigned master. Some people find weird answering calls with sound coming only on their left ear as some people are accustomed answering calls in their right side of the ear. My solution was to take out one bud first and place it on my right ear (the one I use mostly for calls) which will auto connect to my iPhone and will be assigned as the master, and then place the other earbud in my left ear which will be assigned as the slave. This way, the right side is always used for calls.

The earbuds feature a sound transparency similar of that of the Jabra Elite 65t. I really do not use this feature so I can't say anything about it but running a quick test, you can clearly hear the person talking to you and adjust the sensitivity of the mics and volume to your preference. You can also set automatic to automatically turn on sound transparency when you pause your music.

Ear tip rolling:

The earbuds uses a 5mm diameter nozzle and is 6mm long, can easily fit standard ear tips. You can see from the image attached I'm using the Sony hybrid ear tips.

Phone app:

Earin provides and app to control the sound transparency feature and adjust the L/R balance. There is no built-in EQ, so this will be a bummer for some. I do hope Earin will release an app which includes an EQ in the future. The app also show the battery life of the earbuds. The earbuds does not display any battery percentage on the battery widget on iOS (unlike the Jabra), the battery level is visible only in the app but it’s a simple circle and no numerical indicators. However, I have never tested this on Android as I don't own any Android phones/tablet anymore. The app also provides firmware updates for the earbuds, however this is not available at the moment according to Earin but will be coming soon. The firmware version is currently visible on Android while on iOS, the firmware version is not visible. Earin said this was a bug and will roll out a new app for iOS.

There are two version numbers viewable in the app, CSR and NXP. It could mean than we can both update the firmwares of the CSR chip (responsible for the codec and bluetooth) and the NXP chip (responsible for NFMI).

Sound Analysis:

Now, this is the one that all have been waiting for. These are IEMs in the end of the day so sound is the most important overall. The earbuds do feature a single full range balanced armature (Probably a Knowles RAB-Series based on my analysis after removing the cloth mesh filter. Don't worry, I returned the mesh in place. Don't want dirt to get in to the armature).

The sound signature is warm neutral and with slightly boost in the sub bass region. I've been listening to my UMPro50 v2 for a long time as they are my daily driver specially for commute to work. Compare to them, they sound above average and would consider them a good all rounder for a single balanced armature let alone being a true wireless one.

Bass:

The bass is deep, punchy and does not bleed in the mids. The overall bass is comparable to my Westone UMPro50 v2 with a slight increase on the sub bass region and the bass is a bit lower than my UMPro50 v2. Listening to some EDM, RnB and Hip Hop in my collection, I can definitely hear the sub bass and bass, fast, thumpy, clear and free from any distortion. The feeling though is different. It still has that rumble, but not on the level of big dynamic drivers. Compared to my Jabra Elite 65t though, I find the Earin to be a bit more bassier on the sub bass region (ironic since the 65t probably uses dynamic drivers). All in all, a very good quality sub bass and bass that is accurate and fast but adds that small notch to give you that slight warm and fun to the sound.

Mids:

The mids are lush and rich, they are also the part thats a bit dominant than the bass and highs but not by much. There is a decent amount of separation in the instruments. Vocals sound great for both male and female voices. The overall linearity of the mids is flat.

Highs:

The highs are really good and above average for a single balance armature, they extend around 16khz, which is a standard on most typical single balanced armature. Linearity is flat, this means there is no high peaks which introduces that "tisss" and sibilance sound. What impressed me is despite the warm sound signature, the highs are still clear. You can still hear it if the music demands for it. Cymbals and high hats sounds natural. Not boosted but still fairly clear and natural. Although some who crave that boosted treble may find the highs lacking that sparkle at the end.

Conclusion:

Compared to my 65t, I find the Earin M-2 a very good sounding true wireless IEM. For lovers of a warm and flat sound signature, I would recommend them. Call quality is great, connectivity is great. Overall a happy and great purchase.

Here are some images for viewing pleasure:
IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG
Charging case uses Micro USB (Type B)

IMG_1901.JPG
Size comparison on a typical credit card sized card.

IMG_1899.JPG
Earbuds inside the charging case.

IMG_1897.JPG
Accessories and box (Short micro USB cable, two pairs of extra foam tips and two pairs of small and large silicone tips)

IMG_1898.JPG

Driver and nozzle analysis (cloth screen mesh removed).
IMG_1913.JPG IMG_1912.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1902.JPG
    IMG_1902.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1900.JPG
    IMG_1900.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #522 of 62,436
these look nice how long does the battery last?

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #525 of 62,436
Only 470 on eBay... I guess they are not releasing in the us under that branding? I wonder when they will be available.
They should release it soon outside of Asia. No one seems to buy these here in Hong Kong. But I decided to pull the trigger and bought one. I love it. Although that may be biased as I like a more neutral sound siganture similar to my Etys.B8F0F5A1-4FB9-4E35-9854-5BC5226C177B.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back