Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 26, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #361 of 62,387
I also bought the Elite 65T on Saturday.... Spent most of the weekend getting acclimated to the controls and testing the Bluetooth signal. While I haven't been a fan of silicon tips in the past; these are really comfortable. Music quality is actually very good. All my music on my phone is either FLAC or 320 MP3

With my LG V20 phone sitting on the couch in our house. I went down and walked all around the basement and upstairs to the 3 bedrooms and out in the backyard & never got a signal loss.

This morning, I took them with me for my daily 6 mile walk /jog. It was slightly breezy & I had no issues with wind noise while walking or jogging. I moved the phone around to each pants pocket (front & rear) and never lost a signal. Never felt the buds coming loose during the runs, I did occasionally get a thump sound from my shoes hitting the pavement. But nothing more than what I typically get with my wired earbuds.

Love the isolation and I really like Jabra's "hear-through" option... I can double tap the right bud and have a conversation with any passersby. The balance between the bud and "hear-through" can be adjusted via the app... You can set it so that your music is completed muted for having conversations... Which eliminates the need to take a bud out of your ear.

My walk is on public paths that are near a main road, I had no issues with traffic noise. Double clicking to turn on the "hear-through" was awesome when I met folks to say hello, etc..

I haven't put them to the public transit test yet, but based upon this mornings excursion, I have no doubt that the isolation will be fine.

Buds were 100% charged before the 6 mile excursion... At the end of the 80 minute excursion, the app indicated 89% charge remaining on the earbuds. I have no doubt that they'll last the rated 5 hours. Today's temperature was about 40 degrees F. While I did work up a sweat, I can't vouch for how they'll stand up to a full gym work-out.

Phone call quality was great, I had no complaints from anyone that I called...

If I have any complaints, it is these 2 items;

#1 The settings preference for the "hear-through" isn't saved, so if you turn off the earbuds, you have to go back into the app and readjust your balance preference.

Note; It'd be awesome if you could save a few "hear-through" preference balance settings... ie.. Driving & Office?

#2 minor issue is that you can only fast forward a track, you can't go backwards.

According to their support staff, Jabra says that they are working on both these issues

I'm sold on the Jabra Elite 65T

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #362 of 62,387
I also bought the Elite 65T on Saturday.... Spent most of the weekend getting acclimated to the controls and testing the Bluetooth signal. While I haven't been a fan of silicon tips in the past; these are really comfortable. Music quality is actually very good. All my music on my phone is either FLAC or 320 MP3

With my LG V20 phone sitting on the couch in our house. I went down and walked all around the basement and upstairs to the 3 bedrooms and out in the backyard & never got a signal loss.

This morning, I took them with me for my daily 6 mile walk /jog. It was slightly breezy & I had no issues with wind noise while walking or jogging. I moved the phone around to each pants pocket (front & rear) and never lost a signal. Never felt the buds coming loose during the runs, I did occasionally get a thump sound from my shoes hitting the pavement. But nothing more than what I typically get with my wired earbuds.

Love the isolation and I really like Jabra's "hear-through" option... I can double tap the right bud and have a conversation with any passersby. The balance between the bud and "hear-through" can be adjusted via the app... You can set it so that your music is completed muted for having conversations... Which eliminates the need to take a bud out of your ear.

My walk is on public paths that are near a main road, I had no issues with traffic noise. Double clicking to turn on the "hear-through" was awesome when I met folks to say hello, etc..

I haven't put them to the public transit test yet, but based upon this mornings excursion, I have no doubt that the isolation will be fine.

Buds were 100% charged before the 6 mile excursion... At the end of the 80 minute excursion, the app indicated 89% charge remaining on the earbuds. I have no doubt that they'll last the rated 5 hours. Today's temperature was about 40 degrees F. While I did work up a sweat, I can't vouch for how they'll stand up to a full gym work-out.

Phone call quality was great, I had no complaints from anyone that I called...

If I have any complaints, it is these 2 items;

#1 The settings preference for the "hear-through" isn't saved, so if you turn off the earbuds, you have to go back into the app and readjust your balance preference.

Note; It'd be awesome if you could save a few "hear-through" preference balance settings... ie.. Driving & Office?

#2 minor issue is that you can only fast forward a track, you can't go backwards.

According to their support staff, Jabra says that they are working on both these issues

I'm sold on the Jabra Elite 65T

I thought you could go back a track by long pressing the volume down button. That seems to work on mine.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #364 of 62,387
One other nitpick with the 65t (though I knew this one in advance)... I really wish these accessory manufacturers would just switch over to USB-C already so that I didn't need a separate charging cable for my headphones (when USB-C works on my PC, phone, and Nintendo Switch). I know that the IconX is on USB-C but I think they're the only one.

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #365 of 62,387
Update on the Jabra 65T:

After another weeks worth of use the bluetooth connection still seems pretty solid. On the tube there is a slight skipping in the connection when the doors close or the train starts moving. Doesn't happen every time though. Anyone have an idea on why this is happening?

I've now also tested them with supplied silicone tips, spinfits cp-100 and comply's wireless tips and the only issue is that with the spinfits on the earbuds dont fit into the case where as they do with the comply's. Its a bit annoying as I prefer the fit and sound from the spinfits. The supplied silicone tips do create a good seal but the medium are a bit small and the large are a bit big for me.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #366 of 62,387
The unintended consequence of a small and pocketable charging case is the limitation it imposes on tip fitment. But if the IEM rocks in all other ways, one needs to adjust with the best tip that fits the case.

Beoplay E8 present a hump-like case, but part of it is the depth of the tip chamber. While I was able to get Klipsch dual flange in there, I was unable to get the MeElec triple-flange seated in the case.

Which was just as well. On the flip-side, a larger tip could wind up causing the IEM to become prominent in the ear; perhaps approaching a Bose-like projection.

As it is, people appear to notice the E8's, either for the curiosity factor, or wondering how I can stand having my ears plugged-up. Even though it's comfortable, the appearance of truly wireless has as yet to get wide acceptance.

Then there's the PSB Speakers M4U TW1, a design that offload the bulk of it behind the ear; making hay with certain styles of eye-correcting spectacle designs.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #367 of 62,387
The unintended consequence of a small and pocketable charging case is the limitation it imposes on tip fitment. But if the IEM rocks in all other ways, one needs to adjust with the best tip that fits the case.

Beoplay E8 present a hump-like case, but part of it is the depth of the tip chamber. While I was able to get Klipsch dual flange in there, I was unable to get the MeElec triple-flange seated in the case.

Which was just as well. On the flip-side, a larger tip could wind up causing the IEM to become prominent in the ear; perhaps approaching a Bose-like projection.

As it is, people appear to notice the E8's, either for the curiosity factor, or wondering how I can stand having my ears plugged-up. Even though it's comfortable, the appearance of truly wireless has as yet to get wide acceptance.

Then there's the PSB Speakers M4U TW1, a design that offload the bulk of it behind the ear; making hay with certain styles of eye-correcting spectacle designs.

Yes large complys dont fit in the case either

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #369 of 62,387
I see not a lot of love for the Dash but I find mine really quite stellar other then battery life from time to time. I pretty much just use the on board memory and not BTing to my phone or the like and get zero drop outs and plenty of volume. I waiting on EOZs which are using BT5 so we will see (or hear)...I also am waiting on a pair of Sol-Republic Amps that got cheap on Ebay. Any word on how they perform or hold up battery wise?

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #371 of 62,387
stuck between Beoplay E8's or Sony WF100X - anything to take away/consider?

PSB TW1
Jabra Elite Sport
Bose SoundSport Free

I have experience with all three and I had the opportunity to demo the Sony WF1000X.
Sony’s battery life is only 3 hrs. I actually got less than that. Sound is good, but I would take the Jebra Elite Sport over the Sony.
There is also the new Jabra 65t that gets very good reviews.

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #372 of 62,387
I haven't heard the Sony's but I have heard the Beoplay. I would take a good look at the PSBs if SQ is important to you. Having used them interchangeably with the Bose the past month or so, I find them to be excellent. You just have to get used to the lack of a charging case which was a nearly fatal mistake by PSB and ruins an otherwise terrific pair of TW headphones. Sitting here at my desk now and I have to pull them out of my gym back and charge them So annoyed. First world problems, ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back