Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jan 17, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #271 of 62,439
Thank you guys for a very informative thread. Recently just started testing a few TW earbuds. While doing research noticed these new Jabra's (Elite 65t and Elite Active 65t):
https://www.jabra.com/bluetooth-headsets

They haven't been released yet but in case somehow somebody has tried these (i.e. via pre-release review sample) would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #272 of 62,439
I had the Bose SSF for exactly 30 days. There is a thread on their community page about the left ear dropping out. It's down right horrendous. I gave Bose 30 days to update the firmware or at least say the have a fix planned. Nothing. Just runaround BS.

It's truly a shame. They sounded decent for not supporting AAC or aptx. There were definitely compression artifacts but I used them for walking and working out. They NEVER fell out of my ears and they are very light. Decent battery (3ish hrs) and swapping from my phone to my watch was easy enough.

I could only use them indoors in smaller rooms. They require walls to bounce the signal from the right (master) to the left (slave) ear piece. Maybe the SSF 2's will support aptx (HD is we are lucky) and get the connectivity fixed. I want the rock solid air pods connection but in a unit that has nothing to do with Apple or sounds like crap.

Maybe this year?

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #273 of 62,439
Just a heads up for those having connection issues with truly wireless earphones and how Airpods seem to be the only ones with a solid connection - it's an android and/or Samsung phone issue.

Have had the Amps Air since christmas which were cutting out badly with my Galaxy Note 3. Even around the house with my phone in my hand or pocket, constant dropouts - right ear or both buds. And using them in a mall food court, i turned them off - they were that unusable!

If your phone is rooted, install this free app from the play store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.sineo.android.noFrillsCPU&hl=en and set the minimum clock frequency to 833 MHz. No more dropouts for my Amps, even in the food court :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #274 of 62,439
I think they'll support SBC and AAC too. I'd be really surprised if they don't. SBC is mandatory, as far as I know.

But they're not fully wireless.

I really enjoyed the original RBH-SH so I ordered these new H-2s. I have confirmed with RBH that they do not support AAC. RBH does claim that the internal DAC/AMP will upscale sound and therefore I should not be disappointed that AAC is not supported. Basically, they claim it comes down to money. AAC is expensive to license and they chose to go with APXHD and Sony Lossless. I know these are not TW but I'll report back with my impressions.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #275 of 62,439
I can say with absolute certainty, the source is not the issue with the Bose. Only the left (slave) drops out. Laptop, watch, iPod or Android phone. All provide the same results.

If I really try I can get the right to drop out but it's entirely on purpose.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #276 of 62,439
I really enjoyed the original RBH-SH so I ordered these new H-2s. I have confirmed with RBH that they do not support AAC. RBH does claim that the internal DAC/AMP will upscale sound and therefore I should not be disappointed that AAC is not supported. Basically, they claim it comes down to money. AAC is expensive to license and they chose to go with APXHD and Sony Lossless. I know these are not TW but I'll report back with my impressions.

How’s the connection of the PSB?
Haven’t seen any reported issues.
I’m also curious is phone voice during phone calls come through from both buds, unlike the Bose which is a common complaint.

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #277 of 62,439
I can say with absolute certainty, the source is not the issue with the Bose. Only the left (slave) drops out. Laptop, watch, iPod or Android phone. All provide the same results.

If I really try I can get the right to drop out but it's entirely on purpose.

Then maybe the fix i posted only pertains to those experiencing dropouts from both buds as i would get dropouts from the right bud (slave) only sometimes, other times both buds cut out at the same time. Now i happily get neither!

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #278 of 62,439
Can anyone compare the PSB TW1 and the Bose SoundSport Free?

I don't have the SoundSport Free to compare but I decided to return my PSBs. It seemed they would randomly pause or go to another song. Also the sound signature to me was a little too mellow and lifeless. Felt the low end smeared some of the other frequencies and they just didn't have the detail I would have liked. In full disclosure I have turned into a recent Grado fan so take my comments for what they are worth :) Also the feeling of IEM in my ears was not very comfortable (which was like the feeling of wearing earplugs) and was just not for me. If you're already an IEM fan this may be a non issue as well. Also using the controls on the earbuds, as if for example you double tap the button, transfers the vibrational sound very loudly to your ears. That can get annoying pretty quick.

So after the above I decided to buy the Bose QuietControl 30s instead. From reviews I've heard they are very comfortable and do not go into your ear canal as far as most IEM's. Not sure how I will fair with their sound signature. According to earlier comment about SoundsSport free and having to turn them up to loud, I figured having the NC should help me here. I checked with Bose and technically they are not certified with an IPX rating but should be okay if I dry off earbuds with towel after exercise. Also having the controls not on the ear should be better for me. I also think having the neck band might actually be more convenient than full wireless as i can put them on and off quicker and not have to store them in the case or my pocket in between using.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #279 of 62,439
I don't have the SoundSport Free to compare but I decided to return my PSBs. It seemed they would randomly pause or go to another song. Also the sound signature to me was a little too mellow and lifeless. Felt the low end smeared some of the other frequencies and they just didn't have the detail I would have liked. In full disclosure I have turned into a recent Grado fan so take my comments for what they are worth :) Also the feeling of IEM in my ears was not very comfortable (which was like the feeling of wearing earplugs) and was just not for me. If you're already an IEM fan this may be a non issue as well. Also using the controls on the earbuds, as if for example you double tap the button, transfers the vibrational sound very loudly to your ears. That can get annoying pretty quick.

So after the above I decided to buy the Bose QuietControl 30s instead. From reviews I've heard they are very comfortable and do not go into your ear canal as far as most IEM's. Not sure how I will fair with their sound signature. According to earlier comment about SoundsSport free and having to turn them up to loud, I figured having the NC should help me here. I checked with Bose and technically they are not certified with an IPX rating but should be okay if I dry off earbuds with towel after exercise. Also having the controls not on the ear should be better for me. I also think having the neck band might actually be more convenient than full wireless as i can put them on and off quicker and not have to store them in the case or my pocket in between using.

I tried the QC30s about a year ago in an attempt to address the leakage issue with the regular soundsports. I'll be interested to hear your impressions. To me, the 30s seemed to be a bit dull and lifeless in comparison to the regular soundsports. I'm not sure if it was the ANC that was contributing to it or not. On the gym side of things, I would be careful. The design is such that the USB port is exposed on the underside of the headphone. I was very worried about them crapping out because even I had a few regular soundsports die on me as well. If you don't sweat a ton, it's probably fine but I would worried if you are a heavy sweater. Also, at least for me, I hated the collar. It moved around all over the place in the gym and I had to constantly readjust them. If your primary use is in the gym, that could become a PIA. As for the fit, you are absolutely right. Bose has this nailed. Easy and comfortable and you don't have to jam them in your ears.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #280 of 62,439
I tried the QC30s about a year ago in an attempt to address the leakage issue with the regular soundsports. I'll be interested to hear your impressions. To me, the 30s seemed to be a bit dull and lifeless in comparison to the regular soundsports. I'm not sure if it was the ANC that was contributing to it or not. On the gym side of things, I would be careful. The design is such that the USB port is exposed on the underside of the headphone. I was very worried about them crapping out because even I had a few regular soundsports die on me as well. If you don't sweat a ton, it's probably fine but I would worried if you are a heavy sweater. Also, at least for me, I hated the collar. It moved around all over the place in the gym and I had to constantly readjust them. If your primary use is in the gym, that could become a PIA. As for the fit, you are absolutely right. Bose has this nailed. Easy and comfortable and you don't have to jam them in your ears.

Thanks for the advice. So it seems like the ideal headphones for me might be the regular Soundsports if they would add NC to them :) Will keep you posted after giving the 30's a try.

Jan 19, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #281 of 62,439
Thanks for the advice. So it seems like the ideal headphones for me might be the regular Soundsports if they would add NC to them :) Will keep you posted after giving the 30's a try.

Just posting my impressions. You might love them. Let us know. If you're willing to go with a neckband style, you might look at the VModa Forza Metallo wireless. No ANC, but sound quality was the best I've heard from a BT IEM. They are ultra comfortable and the band is designed better than the Bose band.

Jan 20, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #283 of 62,439
I haven’t received the PSB yet; shipping to my office but we are closed weekends, so out of curiosity I went to audition the Sony WF1000X and the Bose SoundSport Free.

Just a quick impression since I have listened to both no more than 15 mins.

Sony - shape, size and weight I find them to be a great fit, the NC works pretty good and the sound quality is not bad, pretty forward yet balanced sound but not much depth. Volume is plenty loud too. I didn’t download the app but you do get control over the NC and equalizer with the app.
According to the sales rep battery is good for only 3 hours which is definitely not good enough for me. He said also the connection is better after the firmware update that Sony has released.

Bose - large, heavier and bulky but they fit and feel pretty secure. As expected they don’t block noise and volume had to be set fairly loud to mask the noise around me which wasn’t even that loud. Sound quality is good, slightly better than the Sony with more depth and 3D feeling.
Battery should last 5 hours according to the sales rep.

If I had to choose between the two based on needs it will be a tough decision to make. In a way I liked the Sony a bit better because I can eq them and control the NC but the short battery life is a deal breaker probably.
The Bose while offer nice sound is being affected too much by external noise.

I’m looking forward to hear the PSB but one area of concern is that they don’t even have an app for them, so firmware updates are probably ain’t happening while Bose offers great support.

Cheers. :)

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #284 of 62,439
I had the Bose SSF for exactly 30 days. There is a thread on their community page about the left ear dropping out. It's down right horrendous. I gave Bose 30 days to update the firmware or at least say the have a fix planned. Nothing. Just runaround BS.

It's truly a shame. They sounded decent for not support AAC?

Just wondering where you got this info. Most Bose support AAC. Regular soundsports do. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back