Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #61,276 of 62,573
I don't know why people really feel they have to argue strongly against simple things that will make things more repairable and can extend their life and reduce battery waste for people that choose to do so. Like this is some really terrible goal. Nobody is going to force anybody to keep their tech longer by changing the batteries versus getting the latest tech. Why are folks against the options for it? It literally makes no sense.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #61,277 of 62,573
Not for this guy. And I strongly suspect not for many others who frequent this thread. Upgrading is where the fun is at. And don't lecture me about it.
I never said you shouldn't upgrade if you want to. You have a very weird way of twisting things here. But you mock That anybody else is thinking of that.

That's where your problem is. I like to upgrade often too. But I'm not mocking the goal of making tech More repairable and batteries more easily replaceable.

The problem is not what you like to do yourself it's what you say about others who just think the option is good for everyone.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #61,278 of 62,573
Anyone explain if Bluetooth 5.2 v 5.3 v 5.4 makes a meaningful user experience from a connectivity or CODEC/Sound/Switch perspective.

The Senn M4's have the 5.4 codec. I was contemplating the Prestige which are 5.2. Still yet to audition the M4's.
Mainly connectivity. Each version seems to use better manage power consumption, better wireless stability and better data management. Little improvements every interaction

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #61,280 of 62,573
Maybe my biggest gripe with this whole whole TWS thing is how no manufacturer's apps have the manufacturer's name on it, just generic words like "Headpones", "Audio", "Sound". I wanted to upgrade my Jabras and lost the app word guessing game so I'll do it later...

Ha. I've noticed that and it is annoying. I just changed the app name on my phone though so I can find them by brand

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #61,281 of 62,573
I never said you shouldn't upgrade if you want to. You have a very weird way of twisting things here. But you mock That anybody else is thinking of that.

That's where your problem is. I like to upgrade often too. But I'm not mocking the goal of making tech More repairable and batteries more easily replaceable.

The problem is not what you like to do yourself it's what you say about others who just think the option is good for everyone.
I hereby proclaim that upgrading often is good for everyone! (Note this is sarcasm).

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #61,282 of 62,573
I hereby proclaim that upgrading often is good for everyone! (Note this is sarcasm).
It sounded like you were basically mocking the concept, and also basically saying who doesn't upgrade before the battery is an issue.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #61,283 of 62,573
Not really that big. We've been over this before but the vast majority of people replace their phones and laptops before batteries need replacing because the tech has advanced faster than the battery has depleted. I don't think I've ever replaced a phone battery or laptop battery. By the time that's necessary, I'd rather put the money into a newer, faster, better model. TWS is pretty much the same.
I like having the option to replace the battery although some brands don't let you do it on purpose so you HAVE TO buy a new device. Right to repair should alway be a thing.

Sure, I would upgrade my smartphone or PC by then but you can always give (or sell) the older one to a friend who doesn't care as much about having the newest tech. Or having a spare for yourself, just in case.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #61,284 of 62,573
It sounded like you were basically mocking the concept, and also basically saying who doesn't upgrade before the battery is an issue.
Since you don’t seem to appreciate that after about a million of my posts that I like to use hyperbole and sarcasm to make my points, you should assume at all times that I am. I wasn’t mocking anyone. What i said was most people here and everywhere will upgrade long before batteries are an issue. And worrying about batteries is overrated. If that matters to someone, that’s of course fine. But like the guy who only seeks out high end codecs, worrying about batteries will likely cause someone to miss out on excellent iems.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #61,286 of 62,573
No way! I loved their previous TWS from a sound perspective... Even tho it had other issues.

These looks amazing, especially for the low price... Kinda regret buying the MTW4d now haha. The case looks so much sleeker compared to the Sennhies too!

Up to 10 hours of playback...! Class AB amplification, just like my current pair of favorite TWS (ZE8000 mk II)...!

Just 199€...I'm buying a pair straight away.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #61,287 of 62,573
I am currently talking to a couple of great people working at Sennheiser and the topic of wireless audio codecs and sound quality came up. Thought this might be interesting for some of you.
"About wireless audio, you are absolutely right, than when in a mobile and busy environment, the differences are likely negligible, as you may be distracted by environment noise and it is also nearly impossible to zoom into the music without compromising on safety.
Of course, these are subjective based on individual. But priority in an outdoor environment will be to prevent drop-off, and to achieve it, the scalable Bluetooth codec will usually reduce to low bit-rate for a more stable connection.
With regards to the sound quality of apt-x lossless, it is quite unfortunate that I have not tested it, as I mentioned, due to limited source. But I am trying to borrow a Sony phone to be able to test out further.
Prior to the launch of Momentum True Wireless 4 with its apt-X Lossless, I was able to test apt-X, apt-X HD, LDAC and AAC vs wired (USB and Aux) in a semi-controlled condition, where everything is the same, other than the connection.
The equipment I used is an Astell & Kern SP 2000T, ifI DSD Gryphon and IE 600, and playing Nat King Cole’s L-O-V-E and ACDC Shoot to Thrill.
With my colleague, the biggest impression formed on us is not just the increase in detail retrieval, but an obvious increase in soundstage. I can write a lot about it, but here is the brief (not-so) recap:
In the case of SBC and apt-X, the sound is akin to a HD 600 space where it is intimate and goes from ear-to-ear (in-head). The separation between instruments are neglible and it can be perceived to be murky.
And as we switch to the Hi-Res codec, tonality of the music change as the bass gives a speedier perception and the soundstage expanded outwards into the space around the head. With the expansion of the soundstage, the perception of layering (or depth) becomes noticable.
What is interesting is that the AAC codec perform quite closely with apt-X HD, even though AAC is not a high-resolution codec
But the best performance goes to LDAC, where the piano tap reverbate very crystal clearly and I can hear clearly the air reverb from the trumpet in L-O-V-E. But I was able to achieve that as I was able to toggle the highest 990kbps while apt-X HD capped at 570kbps
I personally will love to also experience apt-X Lossless and the latest LC3+, and I will share with you once I have tested."

Wee Hong, Kuan
Senior Product Manager, Global Audiophile Segment Of Sennheiser

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #61,288 of 62,573
Up to 52 hours of playback with the charge from the case... Freaking insane.😱

Even if it's without Anc and at a modest volume. 33 hours with ANC enabled!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240327-153758.png
    Screenshot_20240327-153758.png
    182.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #61,289 of 62,573
No way! I loved their previous TWS from a sound perspective... Even tho it had other issues.

These looks amazing, especially for the low price... Kinda regret buying the MTW4d now haha. The case looks so much sleeker compared to the Sennhies too!

Up to 10 hours of playback...! Class AB amplification, just like my current pair of favorite TWS (ZE8000 mk II)...!

Just 199€...I'm buying a pair straight away.

OH man I remember their buds. Then they did a forced update that changed the SQ. I had some issue with mine but they sounded real fun and good. If these are solid, exciting.

the case looks big though.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #61,290 of 62,573
OH man I remember their buds. Then they did a forced update that changed the SQ. I had some issue with mine but they sounded real fun and good. If these are solid, exciting.

the case looks big though.
Most been almost 3 years since their last attempt? I'm sure they've learned much since then when it comes to everything besides the sound quality. :)

Dunno, I think it looks sleek! At least compared to the god awful MTW4 case.

This is my fastest purchase of a newly announced product ever haha! Got a feeling that my MTW4s will end up being sold. :)

Cambridge Audio has solid return policies and with the low price it was an easy decision.

Apperently there's a new app too!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back