Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #60,961 of 62,515
Thanks guys, think I'll go the easy way amd get him the APP2

Mar 13, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #60,962 of 62,515
If biking is a big part of the equation then a couple of things to keep in mind are 1. how well do they handle wind noise and 2. are you in a cold climate, can you control them with gloves on? Most of my gear fails me for one or the other. I live in North east US and I ride exclusively with the Jabra Elite 10, which has great wind reduction and actual click buttons (as do the APP2 by the way - not sure on their wind handling). From what I read your best option may be one of the Jabras or the new Senn sports model. But if APP2 handles wind well then I will only ask, what's not to like :)?
Can you tell me more about this wind mode? Does it use the mics/anc for this? I tried this wit the MTW3 and wasn’t convinced it was better than ANC off.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #60,963 of 62,515
Can you tell me more about this wind mode? Does it use the mics/anc for this? I tried this wit the MTW3 and wasn’t convinced it was better than ANC off.
It's basically ANC that's tuned to wind. When they first came out it only kicked in on hear-through for some reason, but a firmware update enabled it on ANC as well. It doesn't eliminate wind noise but it quiets it to a gentle thrush.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #60,964 of 62,515
It's basically ANC that's tuned to wind. When they first came out it only kicked in on hear-through for some reason, but a firmware update enabled it on ANC as well. It doesn't eliminate wind noise but it quiets it to a gentle thrush.
Thanks. And it’s quieter than no anc ?

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #60,965 of 62,515
I got yesterday the gamer version of the AVIOT TE-ZX1 (Red one) ...

Aviot TE-ZX1.jpg

In a quick A/B comparison, maybe, there are more difference in the sound quality tuning than what I was expecting ...
In a way mid lows/lows and stage width are different. Probably dynamic too.
It's like the PNK version is more subtle for music.. Maybe for gaming, outside, etc, the Red ZX1 version is more adequate ?

With both TWS and recent recordings (2010+), when switching in A/B mode between 250Kbps/AAC and 990kpbs/LDAC the impacts are significant for the sound quality highs/impacts/stage width (more or less like with my AZ80/1000XM5).

Ear comfort is better with Azla Sedanearfit Max TWS than the stock Aviot tips with both version, though sealing and passive noise cancelling has no improvement between the two types of tips.. just comfort after a few hours.

Real battery playing time was 12 hours in LDAC/no ANC mode and nearly 10 hours in AAC/ANC 100% activated mode.. which is better than all my TWS till now, even the AZ80 and 1000XM5.

After a few days using them, I enjoy the sound quality of these tribrid-5-drivers TWS... though there is still some room for improvements compared to my reference cabled IEM combo (IER-Z1R+NW-WM1A).

In a short time, I will have 2x 29hours planes+trains+cars from Europe to Japan and return .. I think, I will bring the TE-ZX1PNK and 1000XM5, as TE-ZX1 are significantly more bulky which should be rather uncomfortable for sleeping in the 14hours flight part... other wise I still prefer for sleeping in a quite envorinnement the IE800s + MUB1.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #60,966 of 62,515

In a quick A/B comparison, maybe, there are more difference in the sound quality tuning than what I was expecting ...
It's like the PNK version is more subtle for music.. Maybe for gaming, outside, etc, the Red ZX1 version is more adequate ?

With both TWS and recent recordings (2010+), when switching in A/B mode between 250Kbps/AAC and 990kpbs/LDAC the impacts are significant for the sound quality highs/impacts/stage width (more or less like with my AZ80/1000XM5).

Ear comfort is better with Azla Sedanearfit Max TWS than the stock Aviot tips with both version, though sealing and passive noise cancelling has no improvement between the two types of tips.. just comfort after a few hours.

Real battery playing time was 12 hours in LDAC/no ANC mode and nearly 10 hours in AAC/ANC 100% activated mode.. which is better than all my TWS till now, even the AZ80 and 1000XM5.

After a few days using them, I enjoy the sound quality of these tribrid-5-drivers TWS... though there is still some room for improvements compared to my reference cabled IEM combo (IER-Z1R+NW-WM1A).

In a short time, I will have 2x 29hours planes+trains+cars from Europe to Japan and return .. I think, I will bring the TE-ZX1PNK and 1000XM5, as TE-ZX1 are significantly more bulky which should be rather uncomfortable for sleeping in the 14hours flight part... other wise I still prefer for sleeping in a quite envorinnement the IE800s + MUB1.
Very interesting, thanks! Can you give some impressions of the TE ZX1 PNK compered to your other like TWS’? I’m expecting mine soon. Right now A/Bing AZ 80 vs MTW4. One goes… it’s tough deciding.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #60,967 of 62,515
Very interesting, thanks! Can you give some impressions of the TE ZX1 PNK compered to your other like TWS’? I’m expecting mine soon. Right now A/Bing AZ 80 vs MTW4. One goes… it’s tough deciding.

For a few years, as a mainly android user, I only buy LDAC TWS, so I won't look for MTW4 at all, as till now in direct A/B with Z Fold smartphones, A&K Kann Alpha, FIIO M17, RB6pro BT transmission comparison is something like SBC<<<AAC<APTX<<LDAC ...

Till now, I preferred the AZ80 over the 1000XM5 sound quality, but 1000XM5 is less bulky and more comfortable to sleep with when I need, so, for any trips, I am more taking with me the 1000XM5 then AZ80.

Now with those brand new TE-ZX1 I would think :
-> in A/B comparison, there is a little improvement for sound quality over the AZ80 too, though it's not night and day, but something more subtitle/detailed with supporting rather well EQ to increase lows if needed to approach the Red ZX1 for some more rumble in mid lows.
-> I feel ANC is on par for all these TWS, but all are far less efficient than BT headphones like Technics EAH-A800 in planes, so I bring both for my overseas trips.
-> the ZX1 are really more bulky, though they are still very comfortable (with Azla SednaEarFit MAX TWS). But it's almost impossible to lay down with the head the side while reading or sleeping.
-> ZX1 touch commands are clearly really accurate and more convenient than 1000XM5 or AZ80.
-> battery playing time is the most impressive with ZX1

My next trip by plane will be A800+ZX1PNK+1000XM5...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #60,968 of 62,515
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #60,969 of 62,515
Is that to say they have different size? The black is slimmer?
Sorry .. both Zx1 are exactly same size.. but much more bulky than 1000xm5 or even Az80

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #60,970 of 62,515
Thanks. And it’s quieter than no anc ?
Not much quieter but I think it boosts the details over what you would hear with no ANC.

I don't think anything is fast enough to cancel the noise of windrush today. I think what the Jabra and others like it are doing is sampling for the most annoying constant noise base and canceling that. It's really just a subtle difference between the bassier notes of wind sound and airplane sounds. I think Jabra does a good enough job and their physical button controls are definitely the best.

Mar 14, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #60,971 of 62,515

Aviot TE-ZX1.jpg

was the red one through the Indigogo buy? I have not heard they were shipping yet.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #60,972 of 62,515
was the red one through the Indigogo buy? I have not heard they were shipping yet.

Nope from Aviot Website with their Worldshopping process..

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #60,973 of 62,515
I think it's very weird that they're already selling them and shipping them out through their regular website already while trying to paint it up as if they're a work in process "almost ready" to be put together and packaged when you look at the emails you get from their indiegogo campaign.

Sorry .. both Zx1 are exactly same size.. but much more bulky than 1000xm5 or even Az80
Can you do a slightly more detailed comparison between the ZX1 and the ZX1PNK? Like do you feel like it's possible to EQ the ZX1 to sound like the PNK, and how would you compare the bass/mid/treble region between the two, and describe the overall sound signature of the both.
Would be much appreciated!

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #60,974 of 62,515
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #60,975 of 62,515
I think it's very weird that they're already selling them and shipping them out through their regular website already while trying to paint it up as if they're a work in process "almost ready" to be put together and packaged when you look at the emails you get from their indiegogo campaign.
It is confusing. Dealing with the business side of the company is not like dealing with Bose (largest stock owner is M.I.T.) or Sennheiser Hearing (subsidiary of Sonova). However, when I bought the AVIOT TE-Z1PNK, only 20 minutes later realized I wasn't buying the 5 driver new model, I wrote the company, tried to cancel and received an email in reply that they were already staged for pick-up to the delivery service. Small and new they may be, but no problem taking my $$ fast with no backsies.
Can you do a slightly more detailed comparison between the ZX1 and the ZX1PNK? Like do you feel like it's possible to EQ the ZX1 to sound like the PNK, and how would you compare the bass/mid/treble region between the two, and describe the overall sound signature of the both.
Would be much appreciated!
And even here, I did not know that simultaneously to the Indiegogo campaign that AVIOT would be imminently selling a black color unit, tuned slightly differently.

To me being on Indiegogo and saying "World First 5-Driver Wireless Earbuds from Japan" made it seem that the units are only available there. And when they say:

"Concept
The project team has not yet produced a working demo for their concept. Their ability to successfully produce a prototype may be affected by product development or financial challenges"

How do you read it any other way then? False advertising at the least. And if technically true at the time of posting, then something should be said in the updates of the listing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back