Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #55,486 of 62,573
Agree completely, I still have Etymotic ER4SR in the drawer and it works the same as on day one. But with TWS it is much more than just drivers in enclosure, 80% is electronics that gets obsolete at lightning speed.
And if it's not clear, I'd absolutely love replaceable batteries in phones, TWS, and other things. But will I keep same TWS or phone 5 years from now, very unlikely.
But that longevity certainly makes you rethink how much you are willing to invest into TWS.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #55,487 of 62,573
Agree completely, I still have Etymotic ER4SR in the drawer and it works the same as on day one. But with TWS it is much more than just drivers in enclosure, 80% is electronics that gets obsolete at lightning speed.
And if it's not clear, I'd absolutely love replaceable batteries in phones, TWS, and other things. But will I keep same TWS or phone 5 years from now, very unlikely.
Same. I replace my phone every 2 years or so on average.

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #55,491 of 62,573
What's up with Sennheiser Momentum 3 fire sale? It has been going on for a while. New model is coming or competitions is getting too stiff?
They are getting to be a year old now so i would assume a MTW4 will release at some point but given the firmware updates have altered the quality of this set for the better i think they're now a bargain

Aug 20, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #55,492 of 62,573
They are getting to be a year old now so i would assume a MTW4 will release at some point but given the firmware updates have altered the quality of this set for the better i think they're now a bargain
Definitely a good deal. I thought in the past Sennheiser was releasing a new TWS every 2 years. I guess they could have decided to come out with something quicker though. Or they just weren’t selling well enough and they had a stockpile of them that they needed to sell off quick. Either way, there is no reason not to try an MTW 3 for $150.

I went out today and brought my AirPods Pro 2’s with me instead of the MTW 3’s and immediately wished I had brought them instead.

To me the AirPods Pro 2’s are too bassy and have a bit of harshness somewhere in the upper mids or treble that I don’t like. The bass can be kind of fixed in the Headphone Accommodations menu, but the bit of harshness I haven’t been able to fix.

The MTW3’s can easily be EQed to sound very acceptable to me and at the same time just sound smoother and more detailed and never get harsh at all.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #55,493 of 62,573
Having an issue with my FiiTii HiFiDots wherein after I charge them, while still in the case they reconnect to my phone and drain their battery again. Anyone have a similar issue and find a solution? Thanks.

Aug 20, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #55,494 of 62,573
So got the Svanar wireless. They are definitely more of an audiophile tuning (at least compared to Sony and Technics) with more prominent mids. I can see why people like them, but they don't meet my needs. Going back and forth between Xm5, AZ80, and Svanar, I preferred the former two above the latter. Totally subjective. I can see why people would like the Svanar. They are sleek and sound good, but they are not my cup of tea, so sending back to amazon and grabbing the Monarch mkiii instead.
Would you care elaborate a bit what is it about Svanar that you did not like in comparison to the other two?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #55,495 of 62,573
Having an issue with my FiiTii HiFiDots wherein after I charge them, while still in the case they reconnect to my phone and drain their battery again. Anyone have a similar issue and find a solution? Thanks.
Only fix is to disable Bluetooth on your phone when not using the Hifidots. Might want to contact FiiTii for help. My Soundpeats Opera 05 do the same. Disabling Bluetooth puts them back into standby. Maybe try a reset. Don't think it is anything wrong with them. Try to place them more firmly on the case and see if that helps

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #55,496 of 62,573
Very valid point, but if you think about it, same thing applies to phones, portable BT dongles/amps, even EVs.
That is correct. But like @jasonb, I usually replace my smartphone every 2 years or so. I know I shouldn't but I do. Unlike phones, older IEMs can still be used many years down the road and they will be the same sound-wise. Phones get old too fast in terms of tech unfortunately.
My point was comparing a TWS that’s going to last maybe 3-5 years to a wired IEM (with replaceable cables) that can last a very long time if you treat it well.
Exactly! I really got into this whole IEM thing by getting the CFA Andromeda a few years ago (I wanna say 5 maybe?) and I can still pick them up and listen to them today. They still work perfectly fine.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #55,497 of 62,573
I know that in the audio hobby this is a niche thing but I use my IEMs for music AND playing games so latency matters to me. Slight audio delay in games really annoys me and reduced latency bluetooth codecs are not well supported across devices so it's still wired for me all the way.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #55,498 of 62,573
But that longevity certainly makes you rethink how much you are willing to invest into TWS.
I think the European Union just pass that exact law “all devices must have replaceable batteries”, not sure when the effective date will be. USA, China and all the rest will follow.. Just saw it on YouTube 👍

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #55,500 of 62,573
I think the European Union just pass that exact law “all devices must have replaceable batteries”, not sure when the effective date will be. USA, China and all the rest will follow.. Just saw it on YouTube 👍
I for one could not care less about user replaceable batteries. First, I care about size and weight. Making the battery replaceable will add to both. Second, I've never had to upgrade simply because the battery wore out. It's always been something else and it always will be until some miraculous miniaturization in battery tech comes around, probably not in my lifetime.

I'm wondering if someone like Apple might one day come out with a subscription model and settle the whole thing for at least one class of users -- those who don't come to this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back