Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 19, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #55,456 of 62,991
I do not think it's driver thing, we have perfectly capable single DD driver IEMs (e.g. Senns IE600) or earbuds like Yincrow RW-3000 that can outshine some multi driver IEMs.
Most likely limited by small enclosure inferior DACs is what drags performance down. But I am fully open to any other explanation.
Not my point…. it’s just this is the trend in the $3k to $6k IEM space…. Yes the single DD Sennheiser’s are very good. Check out the water cooler, lots of info there..

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #55,459 of 62,991
+1 to the idea that the cellphone market and hardware changes will likely drive people to going wireless more often. In a way, it's kind of a bummer.
Yes and no. I do want to see wireless keep advancing. It’s the mainstream future. There will always be wired options and new wired stuff is still coming out like crazy.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #55,462 of 62,991
Yeah that's a good point. The more it advances, the better the fidelity will get.
As wireless gets better I would hopefully see some great sounding truly lossless wireless options within hopefully 5-10 years.

Wireless is just so convenient even just for use inside your own house, not just outside or on the go. I have high hopes for great advancements.

The other issue to consider too is that stuff with batteries that you can’t replace is just a consumable and would be garbage in less than 5 years. So how much money do you really want to spend on something that you plan on not working after a few years.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #55,463 of 62,991
The multi driver hybrids don’t always need tons of power. I have the 8 driver per side Aful Performer 8’s which are pretty sensitive and easy to power. A simple $9 Apple dongle will get them loud at 25% volume or less. My MacBook Air gets them plenty loud at under 10%.

Since getting my Etymotic ER4SR’s last September, and a few others since then I’ve been enjoying IEMs more than full size.
Yes, this might use just the limited bandwidth spectrum for each driver, and not a network. A purpose designed active crossover is far superior, and much more expensive. It also requires more power to drive…. Like I say, if interested in this, check out the water cooler…
$4k cables, $5k IEMs, a little too rich for me. Besides, I have other interests too.
Be warned, the cooler guys can be brutal if you question their sanity…. 😀

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #55,465 of 62,991
Yes, this might use just the limited bandwidth spectrum for each driver, and not a network. A purpose designed active crossover is far superior, and much more expensive. It also requires more power to drive…. Like I say, if interested in this, check out the water cooler…
$4k cables, $5k IEMs, a little too rich for me. Besides, I have other interests too.
Be warned, the cooler guys can be brutal if you question their sanity…. 😀
Yea, I don’t have the wallet for stuff anymore expensive than I currently own already. If it wasn’t for the government covid checks and keeping my job as an “essential worker” thru the whole thing and not needing the money I never would have spent $600 on the Focal Elear with Clear pads that I have.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #55,466 of 62,991
So to sum up:
- Hifiman Svanar $499. Supports LDAC :thumbsup:, how does it fare against Sony XM5 and Technics AZ80.
- Noble FoKus Mystique $359. No LDAC, is it really audiophile grade at the price of consumer grade offerings from Sony, Senns and Technics and no high res codec support.
- Denon PerL Pro $349, aka rebranded Nura, new aptX lossless support with some limited at the moment devices, is it the only thing that differentiate it from the rest

What is DPP?
The Denon Perl Pro or DPP stomps over Sony XM5 in SQ. I don't know about the others.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #55,467 of 62,991
What do you mean by IQ exactly? EQ?

Most people on the site will probably tell you that there is nothing. I'd disagree

The Hifiman Svanar tws is probably the closest to an audiophile sound of wired (no EQ tho)

The Noble Fokus series (prestige on the way) is going to be up there no doubt.

But in my personal opinion, the Denon PerL Pro is going to be the only set of iems/tws that give you a sound presentation that no other item on the market has replicated so far.

Every other item I've listed and every item any one else lists is going to be a slightly better or worse version of a familiar in ear monitor sound.

The DPP is the most unique of the options and would be my recommendation as it's going to offer you something even a $1000-$2000 iem won't. I don't mean to say it's better than a $2000 iem, but I do think it is more unique then them
ANC takes a backseat to me in terms of importance when I buy a TWS, that said I will chime in on sq only.

I do agree that the Svanar give the closest to audiophile sound. 3ANC has a three driver system which I really like. Some here think it lacks coherency, I don't hear it that way. The B&O EX has excellent sq as well. The staging and fullness of sound are super good with the Denon Perl Pro, I enjoy it as well. Mind you, these are only my opinions take them for what they are worth.

The sound signature is totally different on the XM5 and the Perl Pro. Both sound good it is whether it checks your boxes or not.

Sorry I only meant to reply to your post about the Svanar, the rest is meant for the guy asking the question.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #55,468 of 62,991
Wow, Denon Perl Pro looks humongous when worn, how does it even fit in with such hockey puck on the back.

1692494383984.png

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #55,469 of 62,991
The Sennheiser MTW3 is probably the best you'll get at $200 or less though. Decent ANC, great transparency mode, comfortable (for me), have good EQ options so the sound can be tailored to your desire, great battery life.

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #55,470 of 62,991
The Sennheiser MTW3 is probably the best you'll get at $200 or less though. Decent ANC, great transparency mode, comfortable (for me), have good EQ options so the sound can be tailored to your desire, great battery life.
I paid under 200 for the 3ANC. I got the MTW3 when it first came out, couldn't get a good fit or seal so I never was able to enjoy the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back