Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 15, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #44,461 of 62,419
Just an update on my noble fokus pros. Not sure anyone remembers, but I had to send mine back, because of connection issues. I’m happy to say that the new ones they sent are working perfectly, and a thank you to Noble’s customer service who were great. I highly recommend these, they really do sound great. Anyone who is worried about them not having anc, don’t be, the passive noise canceling on these are very good. Only thing I wish they had was transparency, but not the end of the world, as they sound so good.
Great to hear you got them back. The Noble gang really are helpful, down to earth folks. Totally agree with you on ambient. I would love to have it for pausing music and having a conversation primarily, without having to pop the seal.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #44,463 of 62,419
Hey thanks for taking the time to put all that information together for me! There are a dazzling array of choices for dongles huh? I’m having a difficult time deciding.

On the other hand, I think I’m going to buy the Gryphon. I have the xDSD and this thing looks like quite a step up. Also (this will sound silly) - I can’t stand that female USB-A socket on the xDSD. Having a normal USB-C port sounds much nicer.

The other reason I’m thinking of the Gryphon is that I think I’ve been enjoying my Fokus and IEMs too much. I don’t tend to listen to loud music but my listening sessions must be too long. Just today I noticed a very faint high pitched sound.

From what I’ve been reading, using my open backed LCD-2s should be safer for longer sessions (and taking silence breaks…) and for full sized headphones I think the Gryphon sounds like it’ll be powerful enough.

I’ll probably also get some little speakers for my office. But that’s a separate project :)

Thanks again!
Dude... The Gryphon is sooooo nice. I am likely picking it up withing the week as well... I think. Good for you. It has an astronomical amount of output power for a portable device... It basically has everything

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #44,464 of 62,419
Anyone using B&O EQ? I can't seem to trigger aptx adaptive on all my phones.. only aptx. I've tried to connect it to oppo find X5 pro, Xiaomi 12 pro, S22 ultra, and more (I'm a tech reviewer so I've got plenty of phones here lol).

I have bowers and Wilkins PI7 and other aptx adaptive supporting wireless earbuds triggering aptx adaptive no problem with all my phones except S22 ultra which does not support aptx adaptive.

From what I've read, the EQ does support aptx adaptive. Qualcomm also has it listed on their website.
Have you try to turn on developer options?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-200300910.jpg
    Screenshot_20220415-200300910.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #44,466 of 62,419
Dude... The Gryphon is sooooo nice. I am likely picking it up withing the week as well... I think. Good for you. It has an astronomical amount of output power for a portable device... It basically has everything
FYI, I owned thr gryphon and returned it. If the goal is to be portable and take it ot the gym or subway or whatever, it's great. If the goal is at home, do the idsd micro signature. It sounds much better.

Apr 16, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #44,467 of 62,419
It has nothing to do with price, although any company trying to sell a $2k IEM, that is outperformed by a $200 dollar one, won’t stay in business long..
I’ll never know, as a $2k IEM isn’t on my radar screen…
The issue is Bluetooth technology. It must by design, send compressed data to any receiver per the protocol. LDAC is still compressed, and usually thunks down the the lower bit rate, due to transmission issues and stability..
Is what it is, wires will outperform Bluetooth, by design..
Well yes, I agree that Bluetooth being a lossy codec won't be as good as a wired headphone/IEM.

But - I once did a double blind test for myself between MP3 320kbps and FLAC, and I absolutely could not pick out what was what. And for my ears at least, that confirmed that I shouldn't be too worried about high bitrate lossy vs lossless. Which is why I happily use Spotify Premium as my only streaming source. And I doubt I'd hear a difference between LDAC or Aptx and the exact same headphone in wired.

But I really only use wireless in the gym or on the airplane as it's convenient and provides ANC, I otherwise typically use wired (as most of my headphones are wired and I'm not about to throw them all out :))

Though really these days my preference is to not use headphones at all, but to listen on my speakers. Sounds the best of all :)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #44,468 of 62,419
Just received the Jiil T1xs and I am pleasantly surprised.
They are small and the fit is good, Even for running.
It's one of tbe most balanced tws I have.
Not the fuller mids and lows, but very pleasant to listen.

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #44,469 of 62,419
Ha you’ve convinced me. I’m going to order it this week. Going to buy some 9% inflation bonds so I need to wait for my next credit card billing cycle

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #44,471 of 62,419
FYI, I owned thr gryphon and returned it. If the goal is to be portable and take it ot the gym or subway or whatever, it's great. If the goal is at home, do the idsd micro signature. It sounds much better.
Nice! So is it just more powerful? I wonder if i’d notice a difference between it and the Gryphon with JH Lola and Monarch Mkii IEMs or my Audeze LCD-2 cans

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #44,472 of 62,419
Well yes, I agree that Bluetooth being a lossy codec won't be as good as a wired headphone/IEM.

But - I once did a double blind test for myself between MP3 320kbps and FLAC, and I absolutely could not pick out what was what. And for my ears at least, that confirmed that I shouldn't be too worried about high bitrate lossy vs lossless. Which is why I happily use Spotify Premium as my only streaming source. And I doubt I'd hear a difference between LDAC or Aptx and the exact same headphone in wired.

But I really only use wireless in the gym or on the airplane as it's convenient and provides ANC, I otherwise typically use wired (as most of my headphones are wired and I'm not about to throw them all out :))

Though really these days my preference is to not use headphones at all, but to listen on my speakers. Sounds the best of all :)
What kind of speaker setup do you have? I’m looking at doing that in my office to cut down on IEM time

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #44,473 of 62,419

Absolutely, lossy compression has come a long way. As bandwidth improves it’ll even get better, my airpod max headphones can sound amazingly good. Uses AAC only, but lives in an Apple ecosystem optimized for the codec.

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #44,474 of 62,419
What kind of speaker setup do you have? I’m looking at doing that in my office to cut down on IEM time
I've been using speakers more when working from home for the same reason. Mostly stream via my Node 2i --> RME ADI-2 (external DAC /.headphone amp) --> NAD D3045 --,> KFE LS50 Metas + REL T-Zero sub (which I used to use with Q100s). Makes for a pretty compact nearfield desktop setup Have been really happy with the LS50 Metas.

On a separate note, I am really liking the Linkbuds for calls when indoors and for listening to music while at the office (open design isn't great for calls in noisy places or outdoors so I still use Galaxy Buds Live for that). They are super comfortable and I literally forget that I am wearing them (have had to make sure they were still in my ears a few times because I thought they may have fallen out). Only problem is the battery life is not great and I've had low battery warnings after 3-4 hours or so. Probably good to give the ears a break anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #44,475 of 62,419
I've been using speakers more when working from home for the same reason. Mostly stream via my Node 2i --> RME ADI-2 (external DAC /.headphone amp) --> NAD D3045 --,> KFE LS50 Metas + REL T-Zero sub (which I used to use with Q100s). Makes for a pretty compact nearfield desktop setup Have been really happy with the LS50 Metas.

On a separate note, I am really liking the Linkbuds for calls when indoors and for listening to music while at the office (open design isn't great for calls in noisy places or outdoors so I still use Galaxy Buds Live for that). They are super comfortable and I literally forget that I am wearing them (have had to make sure they were still in my ears a few times because I thought they may have fallen out). Only problem is the battery life is not great and I've had low battery warnings after 3-4 hours or so. Probably good to give the ears a break anyway.
Wow those speakers look amazing. I imagine a setup would run between $5 and $10K huh? Might have to do that later in the year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back