Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #44,401 of 62,419
What has improved “with use”? I have about 4 hours or so on mine so far probably.

And yes, the Harman tuned sound is definitely for me. For low volume listening it to me seems like a bit of a “loudness contour”. I think it would be a bit much at high volumes but I listen pretty low usually. With these and an iPhone I’m usually right at or just under half way up.
Drivers settling, basically burn-in or listen-in. This set is so good man. So much clarity with a great stage for tws. Let's put it this way... I posted awhile back on this thread a comparison between the AKG and the Soundpeats Mini Pro and truthfully... There wasn't much difference at the time. I went back and forth a/bing them for awhile as the post was more about how impressive the Mini Pro were rather then a testament to the AKG. I wish I hadn't have posted that because about 20 hrs later of use with the AKG and they had opened up in the staging and there was better perceived resolution and clarity. It isn't some monumental change but in tws even small changes make a big difference. I honestly think the AKG are a fantastic iem for tws.

Apr 13, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #44,402 of 62,419
Ya the lack of a balanced output makes me reluctant to spend that much $ on the cobalt
Dude get yourself a $80 Fiio Ka3 or a $75 Shanling Ua2 and you'll be happy. The Cobalt are way overpriced imo and there is better for much less. Even the Hidizs S9 Pro or the Tempotec Sonata E44 are freaking fantastic

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #44,404 of 62,419
Heard these at canjam. They were impressive. I tried the Sultan and then the the Fokus. If i werent paying attention youd think they were the Sultans.

Do they have a mic and if so, how is the mic?
Yes they have a mic... My son told me I sounded normal... Lol... I guess that means they are okay. Idk man.

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #44,405 of 62,419
Heard these at canjam. They were impressive. I tried the Sultan and then the the Fokus. If i werent paying attention youd think they were the Sultans.

Do they have a mic and if so, how is the mic?
Just called my buddy to find out :). He said I came across nice and clear although at one point he said it sounded a little like I was in a tunnel. iPhone 12 Pro Max

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #44,406 of 62,419
Dude get yourself a $80 Fiio Ka3 or a $75 Shanling Ua2 and you'll be happy. The Cobalt are way overpriced imo and there is better for much less. Even the Hidizs S9 Pro or the Tempotec Sonata E44 are freaking fantastic
Ah my friend… I’ve been struggling for days to find a device like this to buy. Poring over endless reviews and articles.

So what would be the absolute best device like this? I don’t mind if it’s pricey.

…. that was rather vague… I’d love a DAC AMP that will give me superior sound with the Monarch Mkii and JH Lola wired. Ability to drive my Audeze LCD-2s is a huge plus. I’ll be usually plugging it into my iPhone 12 pro max.

I can go up to $1K for the Right device.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #44,408 of 62,419
Battery life on the AZ60 seems really good on LDAC adaptive bitrate with pretty high volume. No sound enhancements, no ANC for the most part.

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #44,411 of 62,419
Ah my friend… I’ve been struggling for days to find a device like this to buy. Poring over endless reviews and articles.

So what would be the absolute best device like this? I don’t mind if it’s pricey.

…. that was rather vague… I’d love a DAC AMP that will give me superior sound with the Monarch Mkii and JH Lola wired. Ability to drive my Audeze LCD-2s is a huge plus. I’ll be usually plugging it into my iPhone 12 pro max.

Dongle Dacs from Andy EF "Dongle Madness" are listed first. No bluetooth but wonderful dongle dacs that carry power to drive:

-CEntrance DACport HD
-Cayin RU6
-Lotoo PAW S2
-xDuoo Link2 BAL
-Ovidius B1
-Apogee Groove
-TempoTec Sonata E44
-Questyle M12
-Hidizs S9 Pro
-E1DA 9038SG3
-FiiO KA3
-Shanling UA2

If you want a Bluetooth option as well that have power, sound great, and are more pocketable than I would stare you towards the:

-IFi Go Blu
-Qudelix 5k

Or and even beefier but much more powerful options you can get these:

-IFi xdsd Gryphon (over 1.2w of power w/ldac as well, this is a beast)
-TRI Tk2 (basically a plug & play dac/amp, no bluetooth but extremely powerful)
-IFi Hip Dac V1 or the newer V2 (dac/amp)
-FIIO Q5s (another bluetooth or usbc beast)

This is just a good start. Read reviews on all of these and see which fit your needs. These are some of the best that I have on the top of my head at 6am...lol. I hope this helps

Apr 14, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #44,412 of 62,419
If you want a Bluetooth option as well that have power, sound great, and are more pocketable than I would stare you towards the:

-IFi Go Blu

Thanks for mentioning our GO blu and other products too. I have to say it's rather cool seeing several of them listed in different categories :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 14, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #44,414 of 62,419
Hard to believe this hobby (obsession?) began when I stumbled across an article several years ago talking about why I needed a headphone amp. Now several thousand dollars later my office is filled with gear. First purchase was a Dragonfly Red

Well, I only started getting more “serious” headphone equipment about two years ago. TWS (MT) and overhead BT (Aonic 50). Then a year ago, I bought the Rai Solo and the THX Onyx. Now I’m looking for a better IEM. Shorter budget, shorter options. But still enjoying music to the fullest.

Have you read about the THX Onyx? ASR has a strong opinion on its quality. I love it.

If I had a bigger budget I’d go for the Mojo2 for sure. Although it’s not a dongle, it oozes quality. But you should be covered here.

On to saving more for my new IEMs. Cheers.

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #44,415 of 62,419
Costco US has this package for $279 right now.
Well, Costco is having a sale and knocked another $50 off this M&D MW08 Sport package. Just got price matched. For $229, this is an even better deal now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back