Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #44,191 of 62,385
Looks like the FiiO UTWS5 have an online update through the app now. Firmware 1.4. Not sure of the changes, but if I notice anything, I'll report back. Might just be 1.38 out of beta.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #44,193 of 62,385
Heard more about the UTSW5 over the TW2 recently. Is the preference the Fiio adapter nowadays? Is the Fiio as comfortable as the TW2 is? I am now back in the market for an adapter, but can wait until the UTSW5 pops back in if that is the hot item now :)
I have them both. The TW2 is finicky as far as fit, depending on what IEM you use. I'm rockin' those SeeAudio Midnight with them and I'm loving it. The UTWS5 accepts pretty much anything size-wise and fits great. The Shure adapters are just refined and work flawlessly. I've used both on calls, watched movies, etc. no issues. The UTWS5 can't be force paired like the TW2. So, I mean, depending on what IEM you want to use, you can't really go wrong with either IMO. Again, with the Shure, it'll depend on the size of the IEM, at least for me. Smaller IEMs on them fit me better. I prefer the Monarch MK2 on the FiiO over the Shure because they're bigger. Once you figure that out, they're both comfortable to me.

Apr 3, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #44,195 of 62,385
I have them both. The TW2 is finicky as far as fit, depending on what IEM you use. I'm rockin' those SeeAudio Midnight with them and I'm loving it. The UTWS5 accepts pretty much anything size-wise and fits great. The Shure adapters are just refined and work flawlessly. I've used both on calls, watched movies, etc. no issues. The UTWS5 can't be force paired like the TW2. So, I mean, depending on what IEM you want to use, you can't really go wrong with either IMO. Again, with the Shure, it'll depend on the size of the IEM, at least for me. Smaller IEMs on them fit me better. I prefer the Monarch MK2 on the FiiO over the Shure because they're bigger. Once you figure that out, they're both comfortable to me.
Thanks bro. Might give a flyer on the TW2s then to see. I got the Technics TZ700s finally and they are uber small, so may just work out :)

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #44,196 of 62,385
Thanks bro. Might give a flyer on the TW2s then to see. I got the Technics TZ700s finally and they are uber small, so may just work out :)
Looks like they should fit because they are MMCX. Just make sure you change what headphone you are using for them within the Shure app to account for power. I’m using the setting for the SE215 to power my SeeAudio Midnight.

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #44,197 of 62,385
So… I wonder how much of an improvement in sound quality I’d see going from the -3 to -5 with Monarch or my JH Lolas?

reason I ask so that I have the -3 and I’m not sure when I’ll be able to find the -5 to order
Going from the 3 to the 5 you will see a slightly wider stage and a more extended frequency both ways with more dynamics throughout. At first the difference isn't great but once the utws5 burns in a bit it does start to show. You get more power to drive your iems which aids the whole presentation. You get wireless charging, ambient mode as well. You would think the real benefit of the 5 is the extra power but imo it is the extra DAC which is the first of it's kind in an adapter set up like this (as far as I know) The 3 uses the DAC in the SOC whereas the 5 uses an independent AK DAC. The utws3 is fantastic and well well well worth the money they are asking but for the extra you'd pay for the 5 it is very much worth it...at least to me. Now as far as driving the Monarch or JH I think you would notice the difference, at least a little bit as those are both very resolving sets which would take advantage of the superior DAC chip. That said, I'm sure the 3 will sound great with either of those as well. Sorry if I didn't help you at all...lol

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #44,198 of 62,385
Going from the 3 to the 5 you will see a slightly wider stage and a more extended frequency both ways with more dynamics throughout. At first the difference isn't great but once the utws5 burns in a bit it does start to show. You get more power to drive your iems which aids the whole presentation. You get wireless charging, ambient mode as well. You would think the real benefit of the 5 is the extra power but imo it is the extra DAC which is the first of it's kind in an adapter set up like this. The 3 uses the DAC in the SOC whereas the 5 uses an independent AK DAC. The utws3 is fantastic and well well well worth the money they are asking but for the extra you'd pay for the 5 it is very much worth it...at least to me. Now as far as driving the Monarch or JH I think you would notice the difference, at least a little bit as those are both very resolving sets which would take advantage of the superior DAC chip. That said, I'm sure the 3 will sound great with either of those as well. Sorry if I didn't help you at all...lol
Wow it sounds amazing. i love ambient mode on TWS. I’m stuck with the 3s until I can find a place to order the 5 :)

Apr 3, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #44,200 of 62,385
Looks like the FiiO UTWS5 have an online update through the app now. Firmware 1.4. Not sure of the changes, but if I notice anything, I'll report back. Might just be 1.38 out of beta.
Thanks for letting people know about the update. I applied it and the ambient seems less artificial which is great. The assistant function now continues playing music versus pausing it. I did not notice any change in the music which is fine because it already sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #44,202 of 62,385
Thanks for letting people know about the update. I applied it and the ambient seems less artificial which is great. The assistant function now continues playing music versus pausing it. I did not notice any change in the music which is fine because it already sound awesome.
Agreed the ambient sounds a tad better. Glad Fiio sticking with updates

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #44,205 of 62,385
Have been trying to stick to wired iems and having extensively tried all the top dogs in the TWS field I still can't find one that even remotely quench the audiophile thirst in TWS form. I have an Aviot TE-BD21f (which is a 1DD2BA hybrid) and a Final Audio Evangelion just for the occasional need for wireless freedom and barely acceptable sound quality. It seems to me with the current stage very bloated bass, scooped mids and peaked high-mids are the staple signature of all the TWS offerings (bar the Pi7, which unfortunately comes with notoriously bad connectivity and a hefty price tag)

Enter the pretty evasive HA-FW1000t, which I believe had not been introduced by the local AD at all. Finally got the chance to test it out, and jeez those mids...........finally there's a TWS with mids! And even got very nicely extended highs to my huge surprise (though not very outspoken, due to the inherent property of all the entirely enclosed TWS for IPX ratings) without the need to bump up high-mids for brightness.

Bought a set after trying it out, lived with it for a few days, leaving my DAP and wired iems at home on purpose, and I am happy to say I can happily live with those in my ears on days I feel like bringing as little stuff as possible, and still can enjoy great sound. Those mids are sweeeeeeeet. I play it with iPhone and Apple Music Lossless/Hi-Res Lossless with both AptX and K2 tech enabled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back