Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 14, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #42,991 of 62,417
Soundpeats Mini Pro (reg. $60, I paid $39 w/coupon)

So these lil guys arent half bad... At all. They have a nice form factor that does not go deep into the ear canal but sits just outside similar to the Soundcore L3P. The included tips are okay but I did tip roll these for a better seal. Obviously that's subjective. The Ambient mode is about what you'd expect from a $60 tws and id say the ANC is pretty good as well. These block out lower frequency tones pretty good like we've come to expect from tws concerning anc. The touch controls are well done as these are not so sensitive that there is a risk for many accidental touches (at least I have not had any yet). The only gripe I have is the exclusion of back-track. I don't get it....why? Anyways, as far as SQ goes I can hear a Def V-shaped tuning but without a huge recession of the Mids. They did enhance the low end a bit without these being too boomy and they also added volume to the upper areas of the mix. The highs can get almost to the piercing side of things but rolls off right at that point for me. I like it. Yet the sub-bass and mid-bass give a good slam and rumble adding much needed warmth. That warmth extends into the Mids a bit which adds a bit of weight to male vocals which, I'd say, for a $60 set they sound okay. There is nothing amazing about this set other than there is a bunch of features which all land around average or above average considering the competition. The sound Quality is a bit better than i would expect as Soundpeats have been doing this for quite awhile and it shows. They are very musical and dynamic and replay music in any genre pretty good. These have a great form factor, at least for me. The are small and sit nicely in the ear. They aren't ugly with a pretty sharp design and the case is very small fitting perfectly in the extra small jeans pocket. These aren't giant killers but they are without a doubt well worth the asking price.
It is an interesting design. Sony should use it. :)
1644850692013.png

They have done nearly the same many times but now for TWS nobody at Sony had the light bulb go off to sketch a design removing the cable exit and stack the TWS electronics behind a sidefire driver housing. How they come up with big clunky stuff like the XB700 instead with Sony's size and resources is strange. Though I guess the chips they choose to go with have some effect on it as well. If Sony went Qualcomm they could probably both have gone smaller sooner and have aptX codecs as well.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #42,992 of 62,417
Speaking of available, the Jabra Enhance Plus is coming on Feb. 25th. Not sure you are gonna get one though. $799. Couple hundred more than I was thinking it was gonna be. Though hearing aid quality components and sound are sure to above the stuff we see in the consumer TWS.
1644847856305.png
Whoa. Big money!

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #42,993 of 62,417

So these lil guys arent half bad... At all. They have a nice form factor that does not go deep into the ear canal but sits just outside similar to the Soundcore L3P. The included tips are okay but I did tip roll these for a better seal. Obviously that's subjective. The Ambient mode is about what you'd expect from a $60 tws and id say the ANC is pretty good as well. These block out lower frequency tones pretty good like we've come to expect from tws concerning anc. The touch controls are well done as these are not so sensitive that there is a risk for many accidental touches (at least I have not had any yet). The only gripe I have is the exclusion of back-track. I don't get it....why? Anyways, as far as SQ goes I can hear a Def V-shaped tuning but without a huge recession of the Mids. They did enhance the low end a bit without these being too boomy and they also added volume to the upper areas of the mix. The highs can get almost to the piercing side of things but rolls off right at that point for me. I like it. Yet the sub-bass and mid-bass give a good slam and rumble adding much needed warmth. That warmth extends into the Mids a bit which adds a bit of weight to male vocals which, I'd say, for a $60 set they sound okay. There is nothing amazing about this set other than there is a bunch of features which all land around average or above average considering the competition. The sound Quality is a bit better than i would expect as Soundpeats have been doing this for quite awhile and it shows. They are very musical and dynamic and replay music in any genre pretty good. These have a great form factor, at least for me. The are small and sit nicely in the ear. They aren't ugly with a pretty sharp design and the case is very small fitting perfectly in the extra small jeans pocket. These aren't giant killers but they are without a doubt well worth the asking price.
Another fast feedback thanks Ceeluh7, so no back track option? Weird maybe they think people tend just to skip tracks forward and if they want to get back they pull up the player?

Did you test the mics by chance ? In a call or via teams?

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #42,994 of 62,417
It is an interesting design. Sony should use it. :)

They have done nearly the same many times but now for TWS nobody at Sony had the light bulb go off to sketch a design removing the cable exit and stack the TWS electronics behind a sidefire driver housing. How they come up with big clunky stuff like the XB700 instead with Sony's size and resources is strange. Though I guess the chips they choose to go with have some effect on it as well. If Sony went Qualcomm they could probably both have gone smaller sooner and have aptX codecs as well.
Sony are a prideful bunch. We all wish aptx would be included and the Qualcomm chip sets are fantastic and claim much less space. You are 1000% correct about how Sony has had to fix their form factors over the years and alot has to do with chip implementation. The form factor you bring up is interesting. Legendary iems were made with this style... It's a good thought man. Why couldn't you stack the driver in this way? Who knows, I guess people alot smarter than I get to make those choices.. Lol.
Another fast feedback thanks Ceeluh7, so no back track option? Weird maybe they think people tend just to skip tracks forward and if they want to get back they pull up the player?

Did you test the mics by chance ? In a call or via teams?
I haven't tested mics yet, sorry bro. If someone else doesn't get to it first I will check them out soon.

Edit: I actually have a team's meeting later in the afternoon I'll try these out on and those guys are used to me asking how the mics sound... I'll let you know later

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #42,995 of 62,417
Does the Shure TW2 have an ambient feature? I am starting to think that would be important.

The TW2 is only $30 more than the Fiio and you get the SE215 so I think price wise they are good choice. I spent some time looking at the shape and the FH5 and think they would work shape wise.

These FH5 are crazy efficient. On my Pono I am listing at 1/8 volume and sometimes lower.

Starting to see a few minor cracks in their sound now that have been using them a few days. Mainly the width of the sound stage. But nothing too egregious.
The Shure TW2 has an excellent ambient mode and eq. The ambient also turns on/off when you play/pause music which is very useful and can be changed if you don’t want it. If you order from Amazon Canada you can either get it with the se215 in black or with the Special Edition in blue. I went with the special edition. They are not bass heavy at all and the sound quality is really nice.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #42,996 of 62,417
Picked up the Nothing Ear (1). Better than I expected. We shall see after a few days. Here are a few pics for size comparison.
Further to this, Qi charging, Volume Controls, ANC slightly less than AirPods Pro/Beats Fit Pro, all other controls. Zero issues. Fit is better than APP. Really enjoying them. Calls are perfect. Sound has EQ presets. Balances, More Treble, More Bass, Voice. I'm going with the More Bass. Punchy and cool for metal. For $99 I'm really surprised. Great value. Keep wondering when a bug will be revealed but nothing so far for hours.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #42,997 of 62,417
Feb 14, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #42,998 of 62,417
Based on a post by @Ceeluh7, I grabbed the AG TWS09R. They are definitely TINY. Battery life less than the Urbanista Lisbon. One is open ear like the old/new AirPods, the other are in ear. Both super tiny. I'm always on the lookout for some great tiny buds. Looking forward to messing around with these new AG. Here's a pic for size comparison.

Attachments

• 27B9B1FA-83E4-4CF7-94E0-905A814547EF.jpeg
    27B9B1FA-83E4-4CF7-94E0-905A814547EF.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 58ABED5A-9AA2-4B93-86A1-B9AB5E0B5440.jpeg
    58ABED5A-9AA2-4B93-86A1-B9AB5E0B5440.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • AD2309C2-901B-4B02-A635-E10ADFE7C2F9.jpeg
    AD2309C2-901B-4B02-A635-E10ADFE7C2F9.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #42,999 of 62,417
Based on a post by @Ceeluh7, I grabbed the AG TWS09R. They are definitely TINY. Battery life less than the Urbanista Lisbon. One is open ear like the old/new AirPods, the other are in ear. Both super tiny. I'm always on the lookout for some great tiny buds. Looking forward to messing around with these new AG. Here's a pic for size comparison.
I bumped the eq pretty high up with these but they aren't bad man. I like tiny buds too... So far pretty good thoughts on the Lisbon. Wondering what you think about them

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #43,000 of 62,417
I bumped the eq pretty high up with these but they aren't bad man. I like tiny buds too... So far pretty good thoughts on the Lisbon. Wondering what you think about them
The Lisbon are a pair that you can just leave in and shop with the other half. Not very noticeable, easy to hear or have a conversation at low volumes. They don't give the best seal, as they're not made for that, but they get pretty loud, again, probably not what they're meant for. I still haven't used them other than when I want to throw a pair in my little front pocket and have something when we're out and about. I find myself just leaving them in and the battery lasts 8 or 9 hours. Crazy. For $40 they're incredibly undervalued. AG definitely sound better but for an open ear, the Lisbon are no slouch. I think someone said once, probably @jant71, that Grell tuned them? I could be wrong. BTW, for those looking for something that is even smaller for sleeping, the Comfobuds Z are even smaller than the AG. Insane.

Attachments

• D71BB262-0CA4-497D-90CF-FD83278F2C92.jpeg
    D71BB262-0CA4-497D-90CF-FD83278F2C92.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #43,001 of 62,417
The Lisbon are a pair that you can just leave in and shop with the other half. Not very noticeable, easy to hear or have a conversation at low volumes. They don't give the best seal, as they're not made for that, but they get pretty loud, again, probably not what they're meant for. I still haven't used them other than when I want to throw a pair in my little front pocket and have something when we're out and about. I find myself just leaving them in and the battery lasts 8 or 9 hours. Crazy. For $40 they're incredibly undervalued. AG definitely sound better but for an open ear, the Lisbon are no slouch. I think someone said once, probably @jant71, that Grell tuned them? I could be wrong. BTW, for those looking for something that is even smaller for sleeping, the Comfobuds Z are even smaller than the AG. Insane.
Ya the AG are OK. When eq'd the drivers handle eq like Champs. I found myself bumping up the higher frequencies quite a bit as the sound sig out the gate is that final audio warm. Good resolution. They certainly aren't world changers or anything but they are tiny, sound good (must use eq) and are built well. I'm Def not propping them up as they Def are budget buds. The Lisbon just might be the better option here, you make them sound nice

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #43,002 of 62,417
Ya the AG are OK. When eq'd the drivers handle eq like Champs. I found myself bumping up the higher frequencies quite a bit as the sound sig out the gate is that final audio warm. Good resolution. They certainly aren't world changers or anything but they are tiny, sound good (must use eq) and are built well. I'm Def not propping them up as they Def are budget buds. The Lisbon just might be the better option here, you make them sound nice
No, I get it. There’s a place for the little ones at this price range but we’re not looking at audiophile quality here at all. They have their purpose. Sadly, I do not have the ability to EQ on my iPhone which is where I predominantly use all these buds.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #43,003 of 62,417
Seems like the Sony version of the Galaxy Buds Live. Not really a new concept as that link suggests. Still interesting to me since I do really like the Galaxy Buds Live for calls. May keep one eye on this but wait to see what Samsung comes out with later this year. I recall seeing rumors of a Galaxy Buds Live 2 a few months ago.
Like I speculated a few pages back :)

IMG_3894.jpg

Seems that review link has been pulled before I had a chance to read it ... ah well ... will be published tomorrow then .. but if this is targeted at the office / zoom / voice / podcast crowd .. then I am not really interested ... I thought with that hole it could be a hear through thing like that Aftershokz, great for running ...

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #43,004 of 62,417

Great, mine are supposed to come from China by March 6 ....

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #43,005 of 62,417
No, I get it. There’s a place for the little ones at this price range but we’re not looking at audiophile quality here at all. They have their purpose. Sadly, I do not have the ability to EQ on my iPhone which is where I predominantly use all these buds.
Gotcha... I have zero idea but can you get music apps on iOS? Like poweramp or uapp? I have been android since smartphones came out and don't really know the ios landscape. Other than i have a couple ipads but just not for music. Ya with EQ these come alive. These sound like quality drivers housed in a budget tws. I agree with you that small lil guys have their place. I like them. You said it best, they are good for following your wife around the store... Perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back