Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 18, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #39,421 of 62,439
Just a note for all users, had to take a recent trip and during my rush to travel only had one set of TWS units with me, within 3 days of the trip I have been using the TWS for calls, music,etc. Started to experience itching, etc and replaced tips, etc. My right ear started to experience all issues of itching , oozing,etc . The Galaxy Buds Pro were the ones that I had for the trip. Just arrived home from travel and trying to make an appointment for doctor as this is an allergic reaction but may become an infection due to the oozing. It is evident that something really is going on.

As I have an array of TWS, never actually use these for whole days because I vary them depending what I am doing. So in thinking about it I have never had the Galaxy Pro's for more than 1hr at a time and that could be the reason why in the past never had any reaction.

The whole process matched some of the information out there, itch starts, stop using and itching goes away. You start using and the itching comes back again and if you dont stop something happens and your ear reacts. I doubt its the tips, this has to be the housing material or the metal in the connectors.

I am floored as I did not really thought would be an issue for me as I use a lot of TWS units, continously use fresh tips or even clean them with a gentle solution that is sold for hearing aids ( tip from another Headfier)

This has bummed me out and I hope I can get to a doctor before I get a full ear infection

Really sorry to hear that. Can you provide us a link to those hearing aid cleaners?
whats the budget king at the moment

Sheesh. I was just checking out Bart's site for the same thing and he now has the Fiil Ti Elite as the undisputed pros for just $35 in the budget category (with an updated english app to boot too)

https://www.scarbir.com/tws/fiil-t1-lite-review

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #39,422 of 62,439
Nov 18, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #39,424 of 62,439
Nov 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #39,425 of 62,439
I have the Sennheiser CX 400BT which according to Sennheiser is the MTW 2 minus ANC and Ambient and the other features but has eq and multiple connections (not multipoint though) and honestly do find them weak in the volume department. I need them to be at 85%-90% to feel like they got enough oomph while I'm always around 60%-75% with other sets of TWS.
Is it a deal breaker? Not to me, as I don't like to blast my ears but I wish they had a little more headroom.
Tommy, I have zero experience with TWS.

If we talk about SQ what level would you put the CX 400BT, in a comparison with wired IEMs?

I don't know, what should I expect from the MTW2, a level of a Blon BL-03, Moondrop Aria / Starfield or higher, maybe a Tanchjim Oxygen or something on that 200-300 € price range.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #39,427 of 62,439

If we talk about SQ what level would you put the CX 400BT, in a comparison with wired IEMs?

I don't know, what should I expect from the MTW2, a level of a Blon BL-03, Moondrop Aria / Starfield or higher, maybe a Tanchjim Oxygen or something on that 200-300 € price range.
If I can get a renewed pair of mtw2 for about 130$ should I? I briefly owned them in January but found the mic and and sub par but their may have been some updates since to firmware to improve them.

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #39,428 of 62,439
I got the AZ60 a couple weeks ago and my initial impressions were good sound (when EQed) and excellent ANC. The ANC is mostly good, but the places where it breaks down are really rough. Unfortunately, I tried them in wind… and oof, that’s just not great. It’s especially bad with sustained winds — do you know that feeling when you’re driving on the highway and someone opens one window but the others are all closed? That’s what the AZ60 do.

That said, the AZ60 are the first TWS where I can actually listen to music and enjoy it (using the dynamic EQ settings). They’re nowhere close to my favorite wired IEMs, of course (Xelento and Sine i3), but definitely passable and the ANC is really close to good enough to make them my go-to.

The other problem I have with the AZ60 is that I really don’t like their touch targets for control. It’s hard to adjust them at all without stopping the music or causing some other issue. I use my Apple Watch pretty much exclusively for pause/resume/rewind/ff with these because I don’t like the touch interface at all.
To bad about the ANC and wind. Might make me hold off buying these for a while. The AZ70 also suffers in wind with ANC on. The way they talked I hoped they had that issue fixed. On the flip side of I disable ANC when walking the AZ70 is not bad.

I also have the GBuds Pro which is pretty decent in the wind with ANC so will use them for now even though the overall ANC is a bit weak.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #39,429 of 62,439

Not sure I'm qualified to answer this as I have been out of the IEM game for a while now and I'm not familiar with the ones you have mentioned but will try to give you a rough idea.
To me the CX 400BT are probably like a $100-$130 set of IEM, which is pretty good but they are a bit of an outlier since their bigger bother is the MTW2 which is around $200 nowadays but was $300 at launch.

Also, with TWS you pay premium for features such as ANC, Ambient etc.
The more tech the more you pay and in most cases the sound quality should be up there however to me, it’s not as clear cut as IEMs and many TWS will have obnoxious consumer tuning of boomy bass, V shape curve. Something I would avoid in IEMs altogether.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #39,430 of 62,439
To the best of my knowledge the Aurora blue is the only blue in their lineup and should have the presets.
Hopefully you got them from a reputable dealer so it's not a Chinese clone.
1More Official Store .. that should be ok then :D
I just found it weird that the presets / Aurora difference was not more heavily marketed .. and I swear in one shop they said that only the global blue version has that feature .. ah well ... I will see, supposed to arrive by nov 29

Nov 19, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #39,432 of 62,439
1More Official Store .. that should be ok then :D
I just found it weird that the presets / Aurora difference was not more heavily marketed .. and I swear in one shop they said that only the global blue version has that feature .. ah well ... I will see, supposed to arrive by nov 29

Yeah, very odd marketing decision by 1More or maybe most customers don't care about eq.
The presets make a significant difference and personally I find it very useful for a bunch of different genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back