Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 20, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #37,666 of 62,129
Sep 20, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #37,667 of 62,129
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #37,668 of 62,129
I think some people here have found the upgrade worth it. From my experience and my own obsessive nature once I get an idea of an earphone in my head, unless/until you try it yourself you won’t have the answer to that question.

For example, I tried the MTW2, Sony XM4, Klipsch T5 II ANC (and nonANC), MW08, PI7, PI5, CA MT, and Devialet Gemini before I finally decided on the Gemini. No amount of feedback from others, (as valuable and helpful as it is) would get the idea of trying them, out of my head. Just sayin’. As others here say, you mileage may vary. 1632061918432.gif
If you can try them out, I recommend you do. They’ve got a good return policy if you buy direct.

Hello, how's the battery life on your devialet gemini?

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #37,670 of 62,129
I've just got Nura Nuraloop and am more than impressed. Have tried almost everything that exists wireless, including SONY wf-1000X M4, the Nuraloop are on another league. First Bluetooth headphone I've heard that HAS instrument separation, 3D imaging and a large soundstage. Pretty much like a good triple driver like the FLC8n, etc. Detail is awesome, treble is very defined and airy, polished and bass pretty strong if you choose so. Tight, plenty of definition/texture. I'm a music producer and can perfectly use these as studio monitors at night while playing, letting the final mixing/mastering for my ADAM A7X monitors. It's how good this thing sounds, it's unbeleavable.

The SONYs can't even come close. No separation (typical on BT headphones), small soundstage, boomy bass, recessed mids. Vocals on Nura are exceptional.

One thing that impresses on an headphone is the impact of the snare drums and these deliver. Its something usually just possible with high-end DACs. Percussion here sounds amazing. The out of head experience these give you is extraordinary for a BT headphone and detail retreval is very high. This is audiophile grade which I thought impossible for a BT. Really. Im accostumed to high-end AD/DA converters and monitors on my studio.

Latest firmware update solves all issues seen on some amazon reviews, so there's nothing to fault at the time being.

Some people don't know that there is a dedicated setting for bass, so they say it's neutral or lacking (!!!!). They can touch bass-head territory if you want to. Just use the app correctly.

No Nura app for Windows though. Just iOS and Android. And the app is absolutely essential, so if you run Windows, don't buy these.

Good to see a fellow countryman around here. I often feel like the odd man amongst my friends with my “controlled” headphone craze. Don’t know how international this feeling gets but I guess it’s more emphasized in a smaller country with less “purchasing power”.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #37,671 of 62,129
If the BA driver is tuned properly, and that's a big if, I think it's quite an interesting product at $81 (with coupon) and not a bass monster like so many TWS nowadays.

EDIT: poor battery life and barely any bass according to this review.
Sony did a pricier one. 1More have done a single armature before. Others have. Have any really been good? Interesting but knew going in it wouldn't be a keeper. I'd take the JVC I just got over it for sound any day of the week. I did get them for free but a $40 over achiever is better than an $80 underachiever. They put decent to okay single armatures in under $100 TWS and they all are forgettable. :)

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #37,672 of 62,129
Sony did a pricier one. 1More have done a single armature before. Others have. Have any really been good? Interesting but knew going in it wouldn't be a keeper. I'd take the JVC I just got over it for sound any day of the week. I did get them for free but a $40 over achiever is better than an $80 underachiever. They put decent to okay single armatures in under $100 TWS and they all are forgettable. :)
Which are the JVC?

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #37,674 of 62,129
I know Mifo07 BA version is a single BA that sounds good and not bass heavy. But at higher volume, the driver do distort on certain low to mid low frequency. But it is quite old now and doesn't have any new features whatsoever. Just a good battery life, decent call quality and connection.

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #37,675 of 62,129
Which are the JVC?
The A11T. The new one. Not the identical looking older A10T which has half the battery life and no aptX. Was gonna get into it today anyway.

So, I ran them in and tested them out and did some comparing. I used aptX and settled on Bludio oval tips. These would have the JVC house sound for TWS(I have had 5 JVC TWS and 8 wireless models). I had the A5T first and it sounds big but not huge and is in your face and fun. It follows but the aptX adds to the SQ as the driver should some as well. Not quite the same as the A5t has a 6mm and the 11T has a 5.8mm driver. You still have that big pretty bold and in your face sound but the 11T pushes the mids and treble up more so it is not the bass focused smoother and politer towards the treble type of sound. Even had an EQ profile saved for the pricier Victor Studio TWS which, while said by some to sound like and be on par with the MTW2, was that type of signature. The A11T on that profile loaded up clearly has a more evident high end and needed that toned down. I can hear and appreciate the more forward mids vs. the A5T.

It takes what I found fun in the A5T but adds quality. The detail and clarity is more than good for the price, The bass and treble extension improve. The bass is nicely separated out with good lows with more decay and weight but up higher the bass is speedy and tight and the earphones have good pace and energy. The mids are up front and fairly sweet and more intelligible. The treble is tight and not smeared or grainy and sounds pretty natural in some ways just isn't high end quality.

One thing JVC can do is good timbre. These are cheap but are worth mentioning here. Not gonna have epic timbre like a good JVC woody but there is a good blend of "right" and fun here. A hint of what JVC can do that you can appreciate for the price. A certain something. Not like an expensive earphone but still things sound like they should. These are something like the Koss 60 Ohm. Not a giant killer but something you can always go to and appreciate and even if not better it has a sound you can like it even vs. better stuff. The JVC also sound decently true to device and EQ nicely.

The JVC A5t(mine are the Z55T UK/CA) is getting quite good reviews so far and it a good budget set but only SBC and no features. I have had the $150 Victor Studio model. I currently still have the top AT model with a foam mod for better SQ and the Nuarl N6 Pro 2 which is certainly in line for the king of $150 SQ title. The little JVC is a fighter. The fun aspects is as good as any. The detail is above the price and can be competitive. They can't run with the Nuarl soundstage with it's HDSS but I hear as the better value in the SQ dept. Not a giant killer but if just based on SQ alone the biggers boys show some diminishing returns(remeb. aptX to aptX) and they have that Koss like enjoyability factor. From memory but I think I like the mids and treble better than the Victor model. Bass is more fun but not quite the detail,clarity, and quality down low but the extension is there.

The ambient is more than decent(bout as good as the Victor) and the sound is better than the price. The fit is easy, stable and comfy with no fuss and no fins needed for me. They are not handsome, the buttons are too hard to press and should not be on the front and the case is micro-USB. They need to update on the physical side. They do overachieve in SQ for the $39.99 you can get them for esp. with the right tips and EQ.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #37,676 of 62,129
I know Mifo07 BA version is a single BA that sounds good and not bass heavy. But at higher volume, the driver do distort on certain low to mid low frequency. But it is quite old now and doesn't have any new features whatsoever. Just a good battery life, decent call quality and connection.
Well, those are over $100 and "good' is not really good and as you mentioned the distortion. Is that the one where the dynamic version of it was more favored? I did say forgettable and those actually seem to fit the bill as one we have forgotten. Still don't think we have had a real good under $100 BA equipped model:)

Cheaper armatures have problem extending on both ends, distortion and or peakiness at higher volumes. Even if tuned well they kinda fade at the high and low ends still and are never really good. There are good single armatures and armature based earphone. My avatar is one but it is a $200 earphone. Not sure how they can put a good armature and tune it well and do all the other stuff and come in for the $99. Not a surprise we haven't seen a really good one. Though this came off more that we have no tiny inexpensive earphones being really good and not so much about armatures. I would like one of those with a good driver(of any type) and SQ.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #37,677 of 62,129
Are the Galaxy Buds2 a good upgrade to the original Buds+ or should I wait for something else? Currently 169$ CAD with a free wireless charger.

Currently my daily drivers are Galaxy Buds+ and the Soundpeats T2 (for commuting) which are largely opposites in terms of tuning. I prefer the detailed sound of the Buds+ except that there could be more presence in the bass and lower mids. The T2's ANC is great at removing mid and low frequencies though less for high frequencies - is the Buds2 ANC ahead or behind the T2?
They are very good. I think much better than the Live and Bud +

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #37,678 of 62,129
I just got a new pair of Sennheiser MTW2's as an under-warranty replacement... and I'm really thinking about whether I should sell them (they're completely new, unbroken seal on the plastic around the box etc) and just get the Geminis, Klipsch T5 II ANC, the B&O EQ's, or just open them and use them (I did enjoy my first pair except for the fact that.... it broke) and maybe buy the Nuratrues?

What do y'all think?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #37,679 of 62,129
So my set of Gemini’s arrived. My brief first impressions are overwhelmingly positive, apart from one thing. For reference; I’ve had first hand experience with B&O EQ, XM4, B&O E8 2.0, Grado GT220, Hifiman TWS800, B&W PI7, Airpods Pro, Audio-Technica ATH-CKS5TW, Bose Soundsport free, Galaxy Buds and Cambridge Audio Melomania Touch.

So far, SQ is very impressive. When the music calls for it, it’s really like having a small sub in there but only in a good way. Very nicely executed. And the soundstage is very nice, they sound way bigger than they let you believe (although 10mm is rather large for a tws). ‘High excursion driver‘ sounds very credible, so to speak. The ANC is surprisingly effective; I wasn’t expecting that at all as I found the ANC of the EQ rather disappointing and even the XM4 ANC felt a bit underwhelming to me (But this is from memory now).

One thing I am struggling with a bit is comfort. They‘re executed very comfortable, I can notice there’s no pressure weirdness going on in my head while wearing them even when I’m eating or drinking. That, to me, is quite impressive as all IEM’s do this with me. However, they lean a bit too much against my ear resulting in some sore spotting (but that’s probably just my ears) so I am still experimenting with a nice way of inserting them.

lastly; technically they work like a charm. Connection has been stellar so far, and the app (iOS) works perfectly, and they pop-up as a single device in my BT settings. That’s more than the CA MT can say.

cheers!

Sep 20, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #37,680 of 62,129
I'm quite impressed with Apple Music and Airpods Pro on iOS15 with Spatial Audio.
Wider soundstage, better separation, deeper and punchier? bass, mids/vocals more from in front (almost like they are standing in front of you singing).
Used this settings: (see pics)

Edit: The Spatial Audio head tracking is important to turn off with music. (it's under Accessibility - Airpods)

Attachments

• IMG_0021.PNG
    IMG_0021.PNG
    291 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0020.PNG
    IMG_0020.PNG
    815.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0019.PNG
    IMG_0019.PNG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread