Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #36,046 of 63,208
Quick info for potential MW08 Sport owners (not sure if it also applies to the normal MW08 version):

There's a new firmware update in the M&D app today. It's firmware version 4.4.4. - haven't seen any change notes so far and don't know if Master&Dynamic provide any for their updates as this was my first update with one of their products.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #36,048 of 63,208
Are astrotec IEMs any good?
They have been around for quite some time. They are Chinese but not to be confused with the ChiFi that we see nowadays. They have some expensive IEMs and earbuds that are considered very good and some current TWS that I have never seen before and aren’t very popular I would assume. With all that being said, I’m just curious to see what’s their new TWS and if the price is right I’ll be willing to give it a go.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #36,049 of 63,208
Why do you say that BTLE will make development easier?

Because if you have a communications protocol which is less power hungry (BTLowEnergyAudio vs current BT), paired with the new LC3 codec, you may be able to implement more features like a better crossover and amp which will use that (now)surplus energy (at the same time giving you more resolution). Or keep the same cross/amp and give you ANC working with 4 or 6 mics while still giving you 6/8 hours on a single charge in a pair of buds. It’s a balance of sound/features/battery, I guess.
I don’t know many details on their implementation but, for example, the Pi7 can only reach around a four hour battery probably because the crossover/amp is munching on that battery to give you that type of better amplification and resolution in the sound. And while they still give you all the other features, if you want their SQ you have to live with a 3 hour battery.

We all want 10 hours on the buds + 40 hours in the case, or better. But then we also want good ANC (which has at least two mics), Ambient (more or the same mics), some people want play/pause sensors, complicated DSPs like the WH/WF which correlate ANC profile frequencies to your outside environment noises (gimmicky, but ok). But besides a good fit, we all want the best sound, regardless of taste and tuning, which will give you more headroom, less noise floor, more spatiality, more separation, larger frequency range (more deep bass, less treble roll off). And this is mainly obtained with a more power hungry crossover/amp. And of higher quality too. This is where (besides paying for the brand name) you get your higher price.

I rave about the Melomania Touch not because they are perfect (no ANC (want), no Qi (want), no sensors (I wouldn’t want these)) but because for 130€ you get, besides a very decent battery life, a very enjoyable sound quality, complete with width/depth/separation/accurate timbre/good timing and dynamics, all in a single DD. And a good app. Comparable to others only at twice the price.

So, with BTLEAudio/LC3 you’ll be able to retain/implement higher quality resolution and gain AND still being able to give you other features WHILE being able to cater for a decent battery life. (Oh, and while not jacking up the price too).

Edit: I almost forgot about hybrids, more drivers, DD+BA, more power needed. You probably can’t do this at 130€, but you can do it at 260€ (or less) and still give you decent battery, and more lower bass/less treble roll off, more resolution. More of all which we want. Tuning is taste or brand signature.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #36,051 of 63,208
Because if you have a communications protocol which is less power hungry (BTLowEnergyAudio vs current BT), paired with the new LC3 codec, you may be able to implement more features like a better crossover and amp which will use that (now)surplus energy (at the same time giving you more resolution). Or keep the same cross/amp and give you ANC working with 4 or 6 mics while still giving you 6/8 hours on a single charge in a pair of buds. It’s a balance of sound/features/battery, I guess.
I don’t know many details on their implementation but, for example, the Pi7 can only reach around a four hour battery probably because the crossover/amp is munching on that battery to give you that type of better amplification and resolution in the sound. And while they still give you all the other features, if you want their SQ you have to live with a 3 hour battery.

We all want 10 hours on the buds + 40 hours in the case, or better. But then we also want good ANC (which has at least two mics), Ambient (more or the same mics), some people want play/pause sensors, complicated DSPs like the WH/WF which correlate ANC profile frequencies to your outside environment noises (gimmicky, but ok). But besides a good fit, we all want the best sound, regardless of taste and tuning, which will give you more headroom, less noise floor, more spatiality, more separation, larger frequency range (more deep bass, less treble roll off). And this is mainly obtained with a more power hungry crossover/amp. And of higher quality too. This is where (besides paying for the brand name) you get your higher price.

I rave about the Melomania Touch not because they are perfect (no ANC (want), no Qi (want), no sensors (I wouldn’t want these)) but because for 130€ you get, besides a very decent battery life, a very enjoyable sound quality, complete with width/depth/separation/accurate timbre/good timing and dynamics, all in a single DD. And a good app. Comparable to others only at twice the price.

So, with BTLEAudio/LC3 you’ll be able to retain/implement higher quality resolution and gain AND still being able to give you other features WHILE being able to cater for a decent battery life. (Oh, and while not jacking up the price too).

Edit: I almost forgot about hybrids, more drivers, DD+BA, more power needed. You probably can’t do this at 130€, but you can do it at 260€ (or less) and still give you decent battery, and more lower bass/less treble roll off, more resolution. More of all which we want. Tuning is taste or brand signature.
I hope that you are right! What worries me, though, is that what you listed is really more about how we as consumers will get better products from the technology. However, the statements from Dunu and Noble were not so much that the technology limits the features and quality, but that developing products took resources and was expensive.

But, like I said, I hope that you are right!

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #36,052 of 63,208
I hope that you are right! What worries me, though, is that what you listed is really more about how we as consumers will get better products from the technology. However, the statements from Dunu and Noble were not so much that the technology limits the features and quality, but that developing products took resources and was expensive.

But, like I said, I hope that you are right!
Hard to buy that with plenty of cheaper stuff with the features. How can Nuarl and CA give good sound and ambient for under $150? Edifier just did dual hybrid with amplifier chip, six mics, ANC, and programmed in a Hi-Res codec for $100.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #36,053 of 63,208
Hard to buy that with plenty of cheaper stuff with the features. How can Nuarl and CA give good sound and ambient for under $150? Edifier just did dual hybrid with amplifier chip, six mics, ANC, and programmed in a Hi-Res codec for $100.
I don’t disagree, I simply pointed out that it did not address what Dunu and Noble said. And I also said I hoped the advent of BTLE would bring us the great features @tiagopinto mentioned! I for one am expecting to benefit from the technology, and will spend my money on the best quality and features I can afford.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #36,054 of 63,208
The Melomania Touch would be a good option for you, then. I think they're a great value and have a really infectious tonality with technicalities to back it up.
@miserybeforethemusic I can't help but still be curious about the MT - I do like me some bass and fun tuning as as long as it's not at too much of a cost.

I bought the JBL Tour Pro+ and, with a lot of EQing, got them somewhere I'm ok with, but thinking I'll sell.

Now, I just got the Nuarl N6 Pro 2 and out of the box I really wanted to EQ them but between the HDSS (I think) and the driver, they have a tremendous clarity (imho). I did adjust the EQ in Spotify to up the bass (for my taste) and they deliver with 0 issues - I just want an EQ in the N6 app itself (which is barebones).

I don't know if you have plans to try them, but I would be very curious to hear your thoughts on the N6 Pro 2 vs Melomania Touch! (Anyone else who may have both please also comment!) I'm also very interested in the MT mic quality for calls.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #36,055 of 63,208
@miserybeforethemusic I can't help but still be curious about the MT - I do like me some bass and fun tuning as as long as it's not at too much of a cost.

I bought the JBL Tour Pro+ and, with a lot of EQing, got them somewhere I'm ok with, but thinking I'll sell.

Now, I just got the Nuarl N6 Pro 2 and out of the box I really wanted to EQ them but between the HDSS (I think) and the driver, they have a tremendous clarity (imho). I did adjust the EQ in Spotify to up the bass (for my taste) and they deliver with 0 issues - I just want an EQ in the N6 app itself (which is barebones).

I don't know if you have plans to try them, but I would be very curious to hear your thoughts on the N6 Pro 2 vs Melomania Touch! (Anyone else who may have both please also comment!) I'm also very interested in the MT mic quality for calls.
I'll keep an eye on the wallet to see if there isn't room for a N6Pro2 in the future, but sounds like you're enjoying them and that's great!

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #36,056 of 63,208
I call BS. $349 needs to have excellent mic and good ambient. BS that "tends to decrease SQ thing". Maybe hurts profit if we spend to implement correctly but need not hurt SQ esp. hear through.

I’m with you on this. Straight bs. Hearthrough does not degrade SQ. The mics are only feeding in outside noise. No ANC I understand it may influence the tuning (most times). But these are user choices if we really want to hear or block outside noise. And not “ah, we just don’t put it there for your sake”. I understand and welcome the 1DD + 2BA. If they do it right, the sound tends to be very good.
They’re excited for an app (with EQ or not)? I tend to rely on that nowadays.

I too prefer SQ over all else. But at 349$... no way.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #36,057 of 63,208
I’m with you on this. Straight bs. Hearthrough does not degrade SQ. The mics are only feeding in outside noise. No ANC I understand it may influence the tuning (most times). But these are user choices if we really want to hear or block outside noise. And not “ah, we just don’t put it there for your sake”. I understand and welcome the 1DD + 2BA. If they do it right, the sound tends to be very good.
They’re excited for an app (with EQ or not)? I tend to rely on that nowadays.

I too prefer SQ over all else. But at 349$... no way.
Speaking candidly, HearThrough on the Falcon Pro needs some work. So far, only Cambridge and Jabra seem to have serviceable HearThrough implementation for my ears. Everything else is just too robotic or it filters out too much ambient noise.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #36,058 of 63,208
I suspect that adding those technologies do interfere with sq to some degree. They probably add distortion and cause addition stress on batteries and amplification which contributes to less clean power being available. I believe Dunu was referring to this as well. As for the price, I think we’re going to pay a premium for anything Noble makes just like Apple or any other premium manufacturer.

Now this is more to the point. “Additional stress on batteries and amplification”. Exactly my point on my post about BTLEAudio/LC3. Price would be affected also. Sorry but I do not concur with Noble.

But again, to each his own. I’m surely not ready to spend 350 of anything in TWS.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #36,059 of 63,208
Agreed. Personally I could live without ANC but hear-through, when implemented right is a super convenient.
Personally, I’ll have to think about it a lot before spending $350 on a set of TWS knowing its lifespan might be somewhat limited.
I would like to see some reviews before passing judgment as Noble makes excellent stuff.

Please don’t get me wrong. Not having tried anything Noble, I’ve heard none other than good things about them, NFP and all.

But I believe it’s still early to cater for the straight audiophile in TWS with current BT compression. So, if they want to implement hybrids, for me, they have to have more features. More so at 350.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #36,060 of 63,208
Just got another FW update for the Melomania Touch. Second in about a week. Forgot to read the update notes. That was very quick. Not sure if it’s related but I notice an annoying sibilance edge up top. Fixable with the CA app EQ. Using the large OEM silicone tips.

Yup, surprisingly me too. Will post on that so @miserybeforethemusic can share with CA dev team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back