Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jul 21, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #35,356 of 62,659
whelp going back to pI7. Sony’s to be returned. Nothing wrong with the Sony - they are excellent but the difference in sq is noticeable enough for me. Looks like white is all that is available. Will I hate that color combo?
Also has anyone revisited the mw08? I gave up on them pretty quickly. Just wondering if I should give them another look.
I got to keep my Review unit of the MW08, and FWIW, I didn't give them a great review. i spent quite a bit more time looking for a sound I might like from them. i was able to bring some sparkle to them, get rid of the excessive midbass, and bring out some quality depth and texture to the bass. Then i brought the mids in general up by a huge amount and I now have a nice all around sound with them. Fun sound when it's called for, smooth and detailed, and a bright but not to harsh sound. Are they perfect? No. but with this sound, they'll actually get used and I enjoy them.

Jul 21, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #35,357 of 62,659
Really nice write up and thanks for the shout out :)
Hey thanks! I went through every page right from your big one on the N6 Pro just trawling for more info. Finally went to buy them and then saw the Pro 2 was coming out in a few days...Great timing. 6 + hours of reading for sure. Thought I should contribute too.

I personally really like the Nuarl line. i think it deserves more recognition and people hearing them. would be interesting to see how they compare to the Devialet Gemini or the PI7. i just cant justify the cost of those units to do a compare as i rarely use TWE those days.
Nice suggestion, I thought this thread was the go to place for info, this forum is huge. I agree about the Nuarl line, would love to see them keep making moves in the scene.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #35,358 of 62,659
Jul 21, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #35,360 of 62,659
In other news, have been rocking the WH3 and Sedna Crystal tips for a long bout of synthwave and prog. This was a playlist I put together for the Campfire Honeydew I'm reviewing (which do excellent with the CF01), but figure someone might be able to find enjoyment here, especially on some of the more dynamic pairs of TWS. Enjoy!

Specific playlists for specific buds. You do not cease to amaze me! Will test this on the MT, Aonic 50 and Rai Solo. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #35,361 of 62,659
Not aware of MTW2 battery drain, mine have sat for a couple months at one point and still got normal use out of them. I purposely tested that after the issues i've had with MTW1 battery drain, which is only an issue if they sit idle fortunately. Either way, had the MTW2 for 15 months now, hopefully they don't randomly start draining.

This was a wrong statement and I’ve already been corrected. I believe the battery drain issue was with MTW1. I didn’t actually own the MTW2 but I did get a chance to test them. I liked them very much but didn’t want to spend 300€ in TWS. I got the MT at 130€ instead.

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #35,362 of 62,659
Do you guys prefer having just one set of earbuds that you just use as your daily driver, or do you prefer having plenty of different sets of earbuds for different use cases?

Right now i'm still deciding between just getting one more expensive earbud like the WF-1000XM4 or Devialet Gemini's, or trying to find some nice open box deals and good value for the money-type earbuds, like I found the Bowers & Wilkins PI5 for $120, Bose QC Buds for $100, and then possibly might spring for Soundcore Life P3, Edifier Neobuds Pro, Moondrop Sparks, Status Between Pro, Soundpeats H1, or Earfun Free Pro or something like that.

I feel like i'm posting a bunch of dumb questions all the time here but I'm terrible at making decisions so I try to hear other people's reasoning when it comes to stuff like this.

Also, for people with the PI5, are they worth $120? I feel like i've seen people say that they're not worth it at the regular asking price and that they've been terrible with connection issues and I don't think I can live with dropouts and lag when I have two pretty cheap sets of earbuds that both are Bluetooth 5.2 and have been extremely solid when it comes to connection (like actually both earbuds are the first ones that are actually connected to the phone even before I've managed to put them in my ears after taking them out of the case, the "connected" voice prompt have usually already played when they're in my ears).
But at $120 it sounds like quite a steal, but when it comes to earbuds with constant audio cutouts and connection dropouts I wouldn't want to pay even $30.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #35,363 of 62,659
This was a wrong statement and I’ve already been corrected. I believe the battery drain issue was with MTW1. I didn’t actually own the MTW2 but I did get a chance to test them. I liked them very much but didn’t want to spend 300€ in TWS. I got the MT at 130€ instead.
Forgot to mention I saw your acknowledgement that they were to expensive at the time anyway. Only mentioned it if they came down in price and you otherwise liked them. Wasn't meant to correct, just to clarify. And yeah, the MTW1 is the one with battery drain.

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #35,364 of 62,659
Do you guys prefer having just one set of earbuds that you just use as your daily driver, or do you prefer having plenty of different sets of earbuds for different use cases?

Right now i'm still deciding between just getting one more expensive earbud like the WF-1000XM4 or Devialet Gemini's, or trying to find some nice open box deals and good value for the money-type earbuds, like I found the Bowers & Wilkins PI5 for $120, Bose QC Buds for $100, and then possibly might spring for Soundcore Life P3, Edifier Neobuds Pro, Moondrop Sparks, Status Between Pro, Soundpeats H1, or Earfun Free Pro or something like that.

I feel like i'm posting a bunch of dumb questions all the time here but I'm terrible at making decisions so I try to hear other people's reasoning when it comes to stuff like this.

Also, for people with the PI5, are they worth $120? I feel like i've seen people say that they're not worth it at the regular asking price and that they've been terrible with connection issues and I don't think I can live with dropouts and lag when I have two pretty cheap sets of earbuds that both are Bluetooth 5.2 and have been extremely solid when it comes to connection (like actually both earbuds are the first ones that are actually connected to the phone even before I've managed to put them in my ears after taking them out of the case, the "connected" voice prompt have usually already played when they're in my ears).
But at $120 it sounds like quite a steal, but when it comes to earbuds with constant audio cutouts and connection dropouts I wouldn't want to pay even $30.
Haven't listened to either of the B&W's, but from memory it seems like I've heard of connection issues with the PI7, not the PI5.
i've been catching up in the thread, and saw you have some SoundPeats IIRC, that you like and got as a backup? For $100-120 for the QC or PI5, I'd purchase one and use them along with the cheap pair, till something newer comes out.
Personally I have a lot of TWEs, some I use aren't on my sig yet. But I usually swap between my MTW1 and 2, Anbes 359, an old cheap off brand from a couple years ago, my AZ70, the next 3 are new in the rotation; the XM4, the MW08, Devialet Gemini and occasionally the N6P and pixelBuds. my MTW1 and Anbes 359 are losing more battery life, so don't know how much longer they'll be in the rotation, but fortunately they keep hanging on. I've had them forever and they're 2 of my favorites.
Edit: I do have some for different use cases.
pixelbuds are usually for calls and sometimes while laying down, AZ70 are great for transit and when i want to be wire free at home etc.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #35,365 of 62,659

Several people here, including me, have chimed in to your conundrum. I can relate closely because I’m in the same kind of boat: tight budget and the incessant search for the best possible choice. Oh, and hard to decide too.

I have mentioned I must cater for Bodyboarding (I’m set here but I’m saving for a surf trip), Mountain Biking (I very much need a full suspension bike or even an e-MTB, still deciding... see) and Scuba Diving (pretty much set here, although I do need a wetsuit... and money to go on weekends). These are three hobbies, besides music, which are very important to me.

When I started looking for on the go buds, wanting the best, I looked into the heavy hitters at the time. My utmost priority was and is sound quality, but I also enjoy other features. I do like a more neutral and faithful signature. After getting the Shure Aonic 50’s (A50) as versatile full size cans, I tested a bunch of TWS, compared specs and, along the way, realized that in a fast moving market as TWS is, I didn’t want to spend 300€ in something that would maybe not last much more than two years, although I do hope they do. I’m usually very careful with my stuff, so they probably will. My Jaybird Bluebuds X (BX) from 2014 are still going, although I don’t reach for them that often lately. This is mainly because the Melomania Touch, which I got for 130€, are so much better sound wise. They definitely had issues at first but all were corrected with firmware. The MT say “power on” when I take them out of the case. I used to have time to put them in my ears before this announcement. Now they’re so quick I only have time to hear “connected”, if I’m quick enough.

I didn’t want 50€ chi-fi and didn’t reach for 300€ fidelity. I didn’t get ANC or Qi and traded that for price and sound.

I reached the conclusion I wanted one that could do most and not a few that could do a few things at a time. Five units at 100€ each is 500€. There goes my new scuba wetsuit. I have my BX and don’t use them, I have my wife’s Liberty Air 2 and don’t use them.

Since then I recently got my first serious IEM’s. The Meze Rai Solo (RS), for more critical listening (I LOVE them) when not on the go. I also got the THX Onyx to use with these and the A50. Again, I went for a 200€ IEM, not breaking the bank for other goals.

So now I have a trio of options (and a great amp). The A50, the RS and the MT as TWS. Would I want more, heck ya! But this is my “reasonable” and “balanced” take, for now. Others may differ as many here seem to buy a new pair each week to try out. I have nothing against other views, but this has been my recent approach so far.

Hope this helps.

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #35,366 of 62,659

Have not listened to nearly as many sets of TWS buds as others on this board, but personally I think the PI5 are a good deal at $120. They have a nice, warm sound; if not a little bass-heavy at times. I probably would have kept my open box find if not having found a pair of PI7 open box

I should add I tried the MTW2 at same time. Looking for something better than APP. I found them really nice but a little sterile.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #35,368 of 62,659
Have not listened to nearly as many sets of TWS buds as others on this board, but personally I think the PI5 are a good deal at $120. They have a nice, warm sound; if not a little bass-heavy at times. I probably would have kept my open box find if not having found a pair of PI7 open box
I just tried the Sony XM4s for the first time and compared them to the PI5’s, and it made me completely unable to think about buying the PI5.

I was surprised by how clear the Sony’s sounded even though I clearly didn’t get a good fit. Only tried with the medium tips instead of the Large that I probably need. They had very slim bass and the ANC was poor but I know that isn’t at all what they should sound like so I get that I just didn’t get a good seal. But just knowing that they’re capable of producing that sound with the wrong tips still kinda sold me on them, so depending on the bill im getting from the dentist on Monday I might be buying them right away after.

The PI5’s sounded quite muddy and low resolution in comparison and honestly liked them less than my $69 Earfun Free Pro OE I’m pretty much every way. Absolutely not terrible and with a real EQ they probably sound good but through AAC on my iPhone they weren’t for me.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #35,370 of 62,659
Checked out the Nuarl a little bit vs. my other top 2...
1626875253540.png

Things to like about all of them of course.

Case: Nuarl case has a nice color, strongest magnets, and I like the orange LED set-up. AT is the smallest, the only one whose lid will hold open, and is very comfy in the hand. Sabbat has the sturdiest plastic, has Qi wireless, and is the thinnest when closed.

Connection: Nuarl wins slightly over the AT and then the Sabbat E16. So I would say same level for the Japanese pair but a level lower for the Chi-Fi model.

Fit: Easiest: AT>Sabbat>Nuarl - AT is smallest and shallow fit and Sabbat has the best shape. Most Stable: Nuarl=AT>E16

Comfort: AT=E16>Nuarl

Isolation: Nuarl>Sabbat>>AT - The Nuarl depth gets the win here thenE16 ear filling shape and the shallow AT last.

NC: Follows the Isolation actually. Nuarl and AT are on par all things considered. So that means AT with it's weak ANC on is only as good as the Nuarl passive.

Ambient: E16 is NA and AT=Nuarl - Perhaps the nod to AT since you have both tap to talk on the right and hear through when you tap on the left so you can get auto pause and activate.

Auto Pause: Only the AT has sensors for it.

Volume: E16>Nuarl>AT - Slight edge to the E16 and then the Nuarl. At is the only one that approaches a headroom limit depending on device.

Sound: Nuarl>E16=AT - AT is modded to have the foamremoved from it's sound tube so it is not stock. AT might be the quickest and the most fun. It is the warmest. E16 still has the Magnetostat problem that the dynamic driver part is always good but not great or it could win this. Nuarl and modded AT have the tighter and sharper bass notes. All on aptX an EQ'd to my liking they are all close so on the same tier. AT needs the mod so it would drop a step if it was stock cause the detail and sharpness of note would no longer compete.

Bass reach: Nuarl>E16>AT
Stage size: E16>Nuarl>AT - Sabbat and Nuarl nearly equal but for a slight bit of height
Treble reach: E16>Nuarl>AT - Again nearly equal and the AT not quite there.
Coherence: Nuarl=AT>E16 - The dynamic in the E16 shows a bit of difference from the other one.
Separation: Nuarl>E16>AT - E16 a bit more thick or filled in and not as airy as the Nuarl.
Detail and resolution: Nuarl>E16>AT - Close as they are all pretty damn good. E16 Dynamic smooths over bass detail the Nuarl shows and the AT a little less over all.

Overall the Nuarl would be the most accurate and true sounding. Technical ability at the top or equal in most of the categories.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back