Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Jun 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #34,426 of 62,680
Hi guys, I am not looking for a debate either, honest. That's part of why I edited my last post and put in the comments about Fischer versus Brainwav. Neither company truly developed and manufactured their own products (or at least they didn't at one time, not sure anymore). So if I do figure out 2 companies are using the same ODM I generally pick the cheaper of the 2 because I am more interested in value versus having slightly shinier cosmetics or buying from a more "famous" name brand.

The one thing I personally hate is out right FAKES. Now that pisses me off LOL.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #34,427 of 62,680
So do you think essentially, Lypertek paid for a piece of Noble tech then slapped on a coat of paint?
Actually I would suspect its more case that both use the same ODM manufacturer who actually has the right contractually to mix and match components by clients. So they often end up sharing common components but each company will have certain design elements that are unique to only their product the most important being how they are tuned.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #34,428 of 62,680
Hi guys, I am not looking for a debate either, honest. That's part of why I edited my last post and put in the comments about Fischer versus Brainwav. Neither company truly developed and manufactured their own products (or at least they didn't at one time, not sure anymore). So if I do figure out 2 companies are using the same ODM I generally pick the cheaper of the 2 because I am more interested in value versus having slightly shinier cosmetics or buying from a more "famous" name brand.

It’s a shame because there’s no way of telling what is an ODM unless we’re lucky enough to stumble upon something else with similarities on the Internet. It’s all a crapshoot. Unless, of course, we spend the premium on the name brands like the Sony’s, the Bose, the Noble falcon pros, etc. etc. Which is what I do nowadays so I don’t have to deal with poorly made buds.

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #34,429 of 62,680
Actually I would suspect its more case that both use the same ODM manufacturer who actually has the right contractually to mix and match components by clients. So they often end up sharing common components but each company will have certain design elements that are unique to only their product the most important being how they are tuned.
Pretty interesting. I am naïve to this part of the business. Thanks for the Intel. What’s crazy is that they’re clearly using the same armatures and drivers according to the specs. You would think that the company that created that would lock that tech down so it’s exclusive. But I guess money talks. Purely spit bawling but maybe noble said yes you can use our armature and drivers but everything has to look the same, then the ODM manufacturer said sure and will give you this great discount on manufacturing costs. Deal!

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #34,430 of 62,680

Fakes, blatant rip-offs, or desperate attempts to be the "first to be x" are usually my red flags. Anyone remember when the default was just to advertise based on how good things fit and sound? These spec wars are getting crazy.

And I'll echo that I'm not looking for a fight, but I do remember that we have people from all ranges of experience here, so we can at least share our perspective. I'm sure someone not fully aware this is a thing will appreciate the heads up. As with most things, it's a spectrum and the devil's in the details.
It’s a shame because there’s no way of telling what is an ODM unless we’re lucky enough to stumble upon something else with similarities on the Internet. It’s all a crapshoot. Unless, of course, we spend the premium on the name brands like the Sony’s, the Bose, the Noble falcon pros, etc. etc. Which is what I do nowadays so I don’t have to deal with poorly made buds.
Sometimes they admit it. Dunu made a name for themselves as an ODM before they started making their own branded products.

Realistically, this all just teaches me that trying to figure out how to apply great value to the TWS market is still completely up in the air. Some focus on ergonomics (I agree), some on sound quality, others on features, and yet others on effectively useless tools like RGB LEDs. I think this HiBy stuff snapped me out of the stupor of thinking "well, I'm getting it cheap, so it's a victimless crime" and started looking at the big picture.

What happens when the Chi-Fi market has completely shut out our own domestic one?

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #34,431 of 62,680
Sure, the case is different but look at the buds they’re exactly the same. Yes one has a button, one has a touch pad,

I’ll have to pull the images and all the specs when I have a moment. But if you look online they are both pretty much the same shell, one with a button, the other with the touchpad. The NFP have a different case but the drivers are exactly the same. So someone took the same bud out there, reworked a few things but essentially put out the same thing. I could be wrong but everything I’m finding online is quite similar. 2 BA, with titanium DD. I’m going to pick up the Lypertek and see if they sound the same for $129 less.

First pic of the buds. I’m definitely not dreaming.

https://mightygadget.co.uk/lypertek-pureplay-z7-announced/

the back shell do look similar, with the nozzle difference being the most apparent..while the front plate, well, i'd say they're different there. now the most intriguing mystery would be whether they both share the same internals or not.
https://mightygadget.co.uk/lypertek-pureplay-z7-announced/
https://gagadget.com/noble-audio-fa...on-pro-tyoplyij-lampovyij-besprovodnyij-zvuk/

i sure will be waiting for your findings on their sound difference/similarity

Jun 18, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #34,432 of 62,680
Fakes, blatant rip-offs, or desperate attempts to be the "first to be x" are usually my red flags. Anyone remember when the default was just to advertise based on how good things fit and sound? These spec wars are getting crazy.

And I'll echo that I'm not looking for a fight, but I do remember that we have people from all ranges of experience here, so we can at least share our perspective. I'm sure someone not fully aware this is a thing will appreciate the heads up. As with most things, it's a spectrum and the devil's in the details.

Sometimes they admit it. Dunu made a name for themselves as an ODM before they started making their own branded products.

Realistically, this all just teaches me that trying to figure out how to apply great value to the TWS market is still completely up in the air. Some focus on ergonomics (I agree), some on sound quality, others on features, and yet others on effectively useless tools like RGB LEDs. I think this HiBy stuff snapped me out of the stupor of thinking "well, I'm getting it cheap, so it's a victimless crime" and started looking at the big picture.

What happens when the Chi-Fi market has completely shut out our own domestic one?
I remember when Sennheiser started to use Chinese manufacturing for the original IE8. Within months there were a hundred knock offs all Chinese made and they were NOT all created equal... Suddenly the only way you could buy a pair online safely was if you used an authorized dealer.

Actually every time a company chooses to use Chinese manufacturing they have already given up and sold out. This is why almost all manufacturing is done in China today. This is not a knock against the Chinese people when I say that, as they are as much a victim of the situation as is the average person in other countries. The issue is government controlled race to the bottom economics where countries and corporations make an industry out of exploiting the population with low wages and inhumane work practices.

There is a global movement afoot to try and curb this practice because of the damage it causes.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #34,433 of 62,680
I remember when Sennheiser started to use Chinese manufacturing for the original IE8. Within months there were a hundred knock offs all Chinese made and they were NOT all created equal... Suddenly the only way you could buy a pair online safely was if you used an authorized dealer.

Actually every time a company chooses to use Chinese manufacturing they have already given up and sold out. This is why almost all manufacturing is done in China today. This is not a knock against the Chinese people when I say that, as they are as much a victim of the situation as is the average person in other countries. The issue is government controlled race to the bottom economics where countries and corporatiins make an industry out of exploiting the population with low wages and inhumane work practices.

Their is a global movement afoot to try and curb this practice because of the damage it causes.
I almost completely forgot about some of that Sennheiser controversy. Heck, I remember the first pairs that weren't made in Ireland. People were completely up in arms about it.

People probably just don't see the long-term (and very simple) consequences to outsourcing manufacturing anywhere. Sure, you can drive down your unit cost, but nobody in your local workforce will be able to:
  • Create their own molds/tooling for products
  • Handle their own supply chains and manufacturing
  • Protect their own intellectual property
  • Stimulate a local economy by taking the money they make and spending it there
  • Give people in your own community somewhere to work
Without getting overtly political on this (it's a hobby forum, after all), I thought COVID would have snapped more people out of feeding this machine, but doesn't seem to be the case. To quote the great Dr. Malcolm (aka Mr. Goldblum):

so-preoccupied-with-whether-or-not-they-could-that-they-didnt-stop-to-think-if-they-should.jpg

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #34,434 of 62,680
I almost completely forgot about some of that Sennheiser controversy. Heck, I remember the first pairs that weren't made in Ireland. People were completely up in arms about it.

People probably just don't see the long-term (and very simple) consequences to outsourcing manufacturing anywhere. Sure, you can drive down your unit cost, but nobody in your local workforce will be able to:
  • Create their own molds/tooling for products
  • Handle their own supply chains and manufacturing
  • Protect their own intellectual property
  • Stimulate a local economy by taking the money they make and spending it there
  • Give people in your own community somewhere to work
Without getting overtly political on this (it's a hobby forum, after all), I thought COVID would have snapped more people out of feeding this machine, but doesn't seem to be the case. To quote the great Dr. Malcolm (aka Mr. Goldblum):

so-preoccupied-with-whether-or-not-they-could-that-they-didnt-stop-to-think-if-they-should.jpg

One last comment then I will step off my soap box and stick to TWS :).

Like or hate them, unions first developed to stop Big Business from exploiting their workers. The issue is GREED always comes in to play... So today with the "global" economy Big Business (corporations primarily) can simply move manufacturing operations to new locales when they decide their workers are too "greedy" or the local government at their current facilities is too demanding (how dare they expect us to follow humane standards, environmental standards, etc).

So the next step in ensuring people are not abused and our planet is kept safe will be global standards that all countries have to live by, with world wide tariffs against products manufactured in countries that refuse to live by those standards. The challenge here is that poor countries where some one only makes a dollar a day and a corporation comes in and says I will give you 2 dollars a day to work in my factory is too enticing for the countries population to resist as they go from starving to subsistent living which is a huge step up. So if tariffs are introduced in gives corporations zero incentive to move to that poor country which means that the people in the poor country just continue to starve... So the other piece of the pie is to determine a means to allow for countries to join in the global economy to help their people but in a way that doesn't just exploit them in the end. In other words extremely tricky stuff...

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #34,436 of 62,680
those Beats did look interesting but not so interesting I want to run out and buy a pair... LOL.

Biggest knock for me is the battery life which seems to be an Apple universal issue. But at least they priced them more reasonably compared to the usual Beats brand name markup. Also thought they lacked a lot of features.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #34,437 of 62,680
those Beats did look interesting but not so interesting I want to run out and buy a pair... LOL.

Biggest knock for me is the battery life which seems to be an Apple universal issue. But at least they priced them more reasonably compared to the usual Beats brand name markup. Also thought they lacked a lot of features.
Sadly, I had a credit at Apple and along with my company discount, pre-ordered. Apple has a great return policy :wink:

Man, the Kool Aid is delicious today.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #34,438 of 62,680
Sadly, I had a credit at Apple and along with my company discount, pre-ordered. Apple has a great return policy :wink:

Man, the Kool Aid is delicious today.
The killer for me is reviews say they fall short of the APP for sq. I think the APP sound decent enough but I would never grab them for music.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #34,439 of 62,680
The killer for me is reviews say they fall short of the APP for sq. I think the APP sound decent enough but I would never grab them for music.
I read, watched a few that said that, but then others that say otherwise. I figured I'll be the judge. If there anywhere close to the size of the Earin A-3, I might dig them. I have the APP and they definitely aren't that great IMO for sound quality. Better with Spatial Audio/Lossless/Dolby Atmos now, but so may other options blow them away. I only use my APP for calls and with my Apple TV at night while doing audio share with my wife so we don't wake the kid.

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #34,440 of 62,680
I read, watched a few that said that, but then others that say otherwise. I figured I'll be the judge. If there anywhere close to the size of the Earin A-3, I might dig them. I have the APP and they definitely aren't that great IMO for sound quality. Better with Spatial Audio/Lossless/Dolby Atmos now, but so may other options blow them away. I only use my APP for calls and with my Apple TV at night while doing audio share with my wife so we don't wake the kid.
Funny I tried some spatial audio for music with my APP the other night. Thought stereo sounded better. By a lot. Surround sound for music just ain’t my thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back