Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 20, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #33,436 of 62,402
Of course Thieaudio releases a new set of tribrid twins Excalibur / Oracle at the $500 mark...and Crin says the Oracle is very close to the Clairvoyance.

Only question is, should I get them now or later? 🤔 I think I'll wait til more reviews come in...need to return some more things first. 😅

At least they're 2-pin so I can use them with the UTWS3 without an adapter. I returned the BT20S pro already.

May 20, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #33,437 of 62,402
Of course Thieaudio releases a new set of tribrid twins Excalibur / Oracle at the $500 mark...and Crin says the Oracle is very close to the Clairvoyance.

Only question is, should I get them now or later? 🤔 I think I'll wait til more reviews come in...need to return some more things first. 😅

At least they're 2-pin so I can use them with the UTWS3 without an adapter. I returned the BT20S pro already.
I'd wait until it at least goes through BGGAR's stable. Trust his ears well enough and he's familiar with the Thie sound.

Those OE adapters are so worth it, by the way. Been loving the B2/CF01 combo. Tried the Kanas Pro last night and found out either the filter is clogged or they're perma-borked with a channel imbalance. I'll try to troubleshoot today.

May 20, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #33,438 of 62,402

They aren't recessed 2-pin right? Those seem to not be as popular anymore (at least compared to when I entered into this hobby). My recessed 2-pin IEMs don't work with the Fiio adapters. Otherwise I'd be using my HiFiMan CIEMs with them :p

May 20, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #33,439 of 62,402
They aren't recessed 2-pin right? Those seem to not be as popular anymore (at least compared to when I entered into this hobby). My recessed 2-pin IEMs don't work with the Fiio adapters. Otherwise I'd be using my HiFiMan CIEMs with them :p
Nope they are flush AFAIK. 🙂

May 20, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #33,440 of 62,402
I'd wait until it at least goes through BGGAR's stable. Trust his ears well enough and he's familiar with the Thie sound.

Those OE adapters are so worth it, by the way. Been loving the B2/CF01 combo. Tried the Kanas Pro last night and found out either the filter is clogged or they're perma-borked with a channel imbalance. I'll try to troubleshoot today.
I think BGGAR did review them. I saw a few videos pop up when I searched for Oracle reviews. Hadn't check them out yet though.

Yup.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #33,441 of 62,402
I think BGGAR did review them. I saw a few videos pop up when I searched for Oracle reviews. Hadn't check them out yet though.

Yup.

Diamonds mean he recommends on a blind buy, so I guess that answers that. Tempted myself, but I've got so many neutral-tuned pairs at this point, I wouldn't mind something more fun.

Man, working with peroxide around my IEMs always gets a little stressful. Trying the non-destructive methods first...

May 20, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #33,443 of 62,402
Much better. Imbalance gone. KPs have been brought back to life!
IMG_20210520_095538.jpg

Dang this CF01 just keeps surprising me. I'd have thought they were going to have a hard time with the Kanas Pro, but nope; gives them plenty of juice without skewing the original signature. This thing seems to have a current output that seriously belies its form factor.

You're certainly getting what you paid for, that's for sure. Me likey.

May 20, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #33,444 of 62,402
Fired up the creative BT-w3 with my iPhone and the pI7. What a cool little product even if it’s a bit fussy. Can definitely tell a bit of a difference between the codecs. AptxHD seems smoother, less compressed and things like cymbals sound more natural. The differences are slight but they are there. Not sure however if I could tell a difference between iOS AAC and AptxHD though. In any event, I feel better knowing I have the best! 40 bucks well spent.

May 20, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #33,445 of 62,402
Well if AAC is still 250K in iOS (I ask as I do not know) like other non Apple device then it will sound worse (I do not believe the compression is that good) and nor would battery life be at 320k (CD quality).

Codecs.png

FYI Win 10 (past 2 DEV builds) now supports AAC.

Can you really swap codes with a press of the button like they claim or does it not work i.e. the ear/headphones accept the change?

I have a few aptX Adaptive earphones now but nor my Android or PC support it.

Annotation 2019-11-26 034724.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #33,446 of 62,402
Well if AAC is still 250K in iOS (I ask as I do not know) like other non Apple device then it will sound worse (I do not believe the compression is that good) and nor would battery life be at 320k (CD quality).

Codecs.png

Can you really swap codes with a press of the button like they claim or does it not work i.e. the ear/headphones accept the change?

We're in lossy territory right now. So how the compression is done and more specifically what is tossed out is far more important than just the baseline bitrate. For all intents and purposes AAC 256 is far superior to SBC. Further the point, AAC 256 can be superior to APTX in certain circumstances while the opposite is true in others. For a pretty rough example, AAC 256 is normally thought to be about equal in quality to MP3 320.

May 20, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #33,447 of 62,402

Codecs.png

I have a few aptX Adaptive earphones now but nor my Android or PC support it.

Annotation 2019-11-26 034724.jpg
I’m a believer in high end codecs but bitrates do not tell the entire story when it comes to these things. Implementation matters and AAC over iOS is implemented very well. And then there’s the question of whether my ears can tell a difference. Many report AAC on iOS is audibly transparent. I will admit that LDAC and AptxHD sound better to me than SBC and Aptx but it gets much harder when AAC is involved.

May 20, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #33,448 of 62,402
That is why I mentioned it and added I doubt it is true but Apple will keep claiming so, AFAIR Nero had a modded version of AAC and it was good (long ago).

For my usage most are CD Rips so will only need aptX and if I am subbed again to Amazon HD aptX HD on PC (via transmitter similar to yours) and LDAC on Android, I know it is still being changed/compressed from one thing to another.

SBS was cut down to push aptX, it can do so much more.

Example:

CODEC Type: aptX, Sampling Frequency: 16/32/44.1/48kHz, Channel Mode: Stereo/Mono

Example:

CODEC Type: SBC, Sampling Frequency: 16/32/44.1/48kHz, Channel Mode: Mono/Dual Channel/Stereo/Joint Stereo, Block Length: 4/8/12/16, Subbands: 4/8, Allocation Method: SNR/Loudness, Min/Max Bitpool: 2/53

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #33,449 of 62,402
We're in lossy territory right now. So how the compression is done and more specifically what is tossed out is far more important than just the baseline bitrate. For all intents and purposes AAC 256 is far superior to SBC. Further the point, AAC 256 can be superior to APTX in certain circumstances while the opposite is true in others. For a pretty rough example, AAC 256 is normally thought to be about equal in quality to MP3 320.
AAC on iOS definitely sounds better to me than aptx. AAC on android sounds worse however. And both are noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back